Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

Who would you like to sign now that we are back amongst Europe's elite

Read 43973 times
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Who would you like to sign now that we are back amongst Europe's elite
      Reply #552: Jul 13, 2014 01:27:05 am
      Show me evidence that they would?

When it comes to money over the 30 million mark:

The MO is buying talented and upcoming superstars that have sell on value, not to buy 27-28 year olds that have none or to overpay for any individual.

Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Markovic....hell even Andy Carroll; young, big upside , big potential sell on value...that's how they think and how they always have thought.

I do not see them spending huge sums of money where they are not going to have an opportunity to get it back.

They tried it a few years ago with the Red Sox and they got burned to a crisp now Henry says they will never ever do it that way again.

You will retort that baseball is different than football and you would be correct but FSG do not think that way its all the same to them.

I hope for your sake and everyone else that feels we need it that we get it so you can sleep easier at night.

Personally I rather we have a better and deeper squad than try to replace Suarez with a 75 million Mueller as I think we have bigger and deeper problems but that is another story.

In the end if we do not get the "big name" I am not going to lay it on Brendan's door that he lacks ambition.

O.K. first off, John Henry is worth an estimated $1.1 billions. You don't make that sort of personal wealth by being a complete and utter moron. There will be players that we can make money off but they will also recognise that there is far, far greater sums of money to be made by the marketing, sponsorship and TV money associated with being a successful Champion's league club than one could ever make off the sale of a player. Forgetting all the associated revenue in the competition for a moment, there's a maximum of around £50 million to be made just in the competition itself. The total amount of money to be made far exceeds the profit made off the average footballer's resale. There is no way in hell any business man worth his salt would limit their business to making the least amount of revenue they can but by placing limits on the experience of a player you're allowed to sign you're doing just that. How you suggest things work simply do not make business sense and if you truly believe this is the way we operate as a business then you are seriously misguided.

bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #553: Jul 13, 2014 01:35:14 am
      Look at the money Barca will make from shirt sales alone from buying Suarez . How much would our club make if we signed yaya or Turan . It might seem a lot of cash to splash on a single signing but they need to think outside the box .
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #554: Jul 13, 2014 01:35:57 am
      O.K. first off, John Henry is worth an estimated $1.1 billions. You don't make that sort of personal wealth by being a complete and utter moron. There will be players that we can make money off but they will also recognise that there is far, far greater sums of money to be made by the marketing, sponsorship and TV money associated with being a successful Champion's league club than one could ever make off the sale of a player. Forgetting all the associated revenue in the competition for a moment, there's a maximum of around £50 million to be made just in the competition itself. The total amount of money to be made far exceeds the profit made off the average footballer's resale. There is no way in hell any business man worth his salt would limit their business to making the least amount of revenue they can but by placing limits on the experience of a player you're allowed to sign you're doing just that. How you suggest things work simply do not make business sense and if you truly believe this is the way we operate as a business then you are seriously misguided.

OK 5x....your right
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #555: Jul 13, 2014 06:01:16 am
      How about you back to the bluemoon forum?

Early July or not, there is no denying that those we have been linked with are underwhelming. I'm not the only one who shares those thoughts

Don't worry, you're not the only one who i think speaks plenty of the brown stuff.

It's clear that no matter what the club do, some plonker is on here venting some frustration for God knows why.

It's July and we have signed Lambert, Can, Lallana and Markovic plus Origi for the future. This time last year the club was bashed for not signing players early. Now they do and people still F***ing complain. "Whyyyy F**k YOU IAN AYRE!!!!!! Sign Reus, Tevez and why the F**k DID YOU NOT SIGN SANCHEZ!>?!>!!?!?????" Piss off you muppets. Brendan bought players in these positions because he chose these players instead and missed out on Sanchez because he preferred Arsenal. There is F**k all to suggest we are done signing players either.

I'm out of here. Little reasoning and common sense makes for an unpleasant discussion.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #556: Jul 13, 2014 06:20:43 am
      Would love to get Jordie Classie.
      Loving his performances recently.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #557: Jul 13, 2014 07:16:21 am
      Don't worry AZ unfortunately some of our fans believe we have  a  multi billionaire backer who will sanction ridiculous sign on fees a sky high salaries.

That doesn't really add anything to the debate does it?
      I don't think anyone is expecting us to spend like a Chelsea or a Man City..
      I actually think AZ and 5t are having a good debate which both are holding up a good side of an argument very well, but one side isn't saying they want or expect us to go at it like City or Chelsea.
      I'm certainly not
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #558: Jul 13, 2014 07:22:16 am
      I just think some people are forgetting what the title of the thread is. It is "Who would you like to sign now that we are back amongst Europe's elite"

Not who do you think Brendan wants, or who do you think FSG will let us sign, nor is it why not just be thankful for what you get.

The idea as far as I see it is to give your opinion on who you would like us to sign. A bit of fun, with a chance to discuss the available options. 

I personally think there has been some good discussion and some excellent points made by both sides and reasonably polite and good humoured for the most part, for which AZ should take the most credit as he was a little besieged by opposing views at times.
      « Last Edit: Jul 13, 2014 07:42:21 am by s@int »
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #559: Jul 13, 2014 07:42:43 am
      Once again do you see me say "This is what I would do if I owned LFC"

All I was posting is what I feel is the inevitable outcome of how this money will be spent.

How is it that FSG/John Henry's lack of ambition reflects upon me as an individual?

Debs just posted at the top how she thinks we are not quite ready yet and the money will be spent to strengthen the spine of the team...Does she lack ambition?

Mick does not want "big names" he wants to build from the inside-out and have depth...does he lack ambition?

Hell Swab thinks part of the money will go to the stadium so he must really lack ambition.

Just for the record I would go along with what Saint suggested...sell Lucas, Aspas, Borini; put it with the Suarez money and buy 4-5 really good players; I hope for my sake that is not showing a lack of ambition.

Genuinely mate I meant no offence.
      As I said above I think you and 5t have had a very good debate over this, both deserve credit and have made a couple a good pages of reading.

I don't actually think anyone lacks ambition, not one of our fans not our owners, and if you look at what I post I never actually ever post actual names as targets, simply because I find little point in it..
      I'm not saying you lack ambition at all.

My point, is that I don't believe in any aspect of life there is only one way to do anything, you ( fsg really) shouldn't simply look at one blueprint and think that this is the only way to do it, that's all really..

As I said yesterday, I think everyone can see the good things they do with the club.

My views don't matter on this, all I was questioning is a flat one way only of doing things.. I wouldn't do that at work, or I wouldn't last long if I said that this is the only way to do things and not be flexible and explore other ways to get things done.

I have posted numerous times over this summer that I'm very excited by the signings of Markovic and Can.. Two 20 year olds.. Both look fantastic options and prospects to me.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #560: Jul 13, 2014 09:26:37 am

The MO is buying talented and upcoming superstars that have sell on value, not to buy 27-28 year olds that have none or to overpay for any individual.

Wasn't Yaya 27 when city signed him? He's worth more today than the £20 million City paid for him.  There are 27/28 year olds that are worth a punt.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,613 posts | 7142 
      Reply #561: Jul 13, 2014 10:18:41 am
      To be honest there isn't one player that screams out for us to go and buy regardless of how much they cost. We do need to be looking at higher quality given our aspirations are now CL and EPL challenge . we have lost one of the very best strikers in the world what are the chances of finding another Luis ?.
      Sterling,Couthino,Henderson and Flanno will hopefully improve again this season Enrique may grace us with his presence and with the players we have signed we  are a stronger squad than last season but its crying out for that final piece in the jigsaw that will make people think we are serious contenders in whatever competition we enter.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #562: Jul 13, 2014 10:50:29 am
      That doesn't really add anything to the debate does it?
      I don't think anyone is expecting us to spend like a Chelsea or a Man City..
      I actually think AZ and 5t are having a good debate which both are holding up a good side of an argument very well, but one side isn't saying they want or expect us to go at it like City or Chelsea.
      I'm certainly not

Gods no. I've said time and again that I don't expect us to have a team full of "galaticos", I just simply favour going for players with experience at a higher level than the players we're targeting. Bony, Lovren, Remy, Lambert, Lallana have little to no experience in the Champion's league as does very little of our team so my entire point has been consistently that I don't understand why we're targeting more players without experience rather than with. It doesn't make sense and I think we, as a Champion's league club and runners up in the league last year could do a hell of a lot better than the players we're after. You improve your squad by buying better players than you have and shifting those players to the bench but that's not what we're doing, we're buying players of equal or lesser ability to the ones we have therefore there is no overall improvement.

Any one of those players would join us even if we had no European football because we're a step up from who they where at - lower to mid-table clubs - so I'm asking the question, what can they bring to the team that it doesn't already have? You can't argue the case that they will benefit from playing with world class players because the current Liverpool FC team doesn't have a single player that is World Class (Gerrard being past his best). When you look at the fact that United, Arsenal and Chelsea have already strengthened considerably then I think we're playing a dangerous game with our signings.

So who would I like to sign now that we are back amongst Europe's elite? World Class players experienced at the highest level of football and I couldn't care less if their name is John Smith or Lionel Messi. The fact that we're not is why I believe there is something fundamentally wrong at the heart of Liverpool Football Club.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #563: Jul 13, 2014 10:53:10 am
      Don't worry, you're not the only one who i think speaks plenty of the brown stuff.

It's clear that no matter what the club do, some plonker is on here venting some frustration for God knows why.

It's July and we have signed Lambert, Can, Lallana and Markovic plus Origi for the future. This time last year the club was bashed for not signing players early. Now they do and people still f**king complain. "Whyyyy F**k YOU IAN AYRE!!!!!! Sign Reus, Tevez and why the F**k DID YOU NOT SIGN SANCHEZ!>?!>!!?!?????" Piss off you muppets. Brendan bought players in these positions because he chose these players instead and missed out on Sanchez because he preferred Arsenal. There is f**k all to suggest we are done signing players either.

I'm out of here. Little reasoning and common sense makes for an unpleasant discussion.

Good, back to bluemoon forum you go xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,323 posts | 2855 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #564: Jul 13, 2014 11:07:16 am
      If you can name any players then Lahm James Rodriguez, Reus, Hummels, Pogba and Filipe Luis
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #565: Jul 13, 2014 11:37:48 am
      If you can name any players then Lahm James Rodriguez, Reus, Hummels, Pogba and Filipe Luis

We probably only have enough for one of those Brian so with the squad we have now, with no other additions, which one would improve us enough to win the league?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #566: Jul 13, 2014 11:47:28 am
      Filipe Luis is a fantastic left back who I believe will prove to be one of the shrewdest signings of the Summer. If we bought him (we won't obviously) it would instantly make us a better team who would be likely to get more points over the course of a season.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #567: Jul 13, 2014 11:59:19 am
      Filipe Luis is a fantastic left back who I believe will prove to be one of the shrewdest signings of the Summer. If we bought him (we won't obviously) it would instantly make us a better team who would be likely to get more points over the course of a season.

Hasn't he gone to Chelsea mick?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #568: Jul 13, 2014 12:09:11 pm

Almost mate (and he will go to Chelsea), but in answer to the thread title signing him would IMHO have made an instant impact on our team and made us much better. I also think signing Fabregas would have done the same. As for now and who we could/should sign and who is actually gettable, Alex Song would be an instantly able defensive midfielder who we could seriously look at IMHO. 
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #569: Jul 13, 2014 12:19:58 pm
      Almost mate (and he will go to Chelsea), but in answer to the thread title signing him would IMHO have made an instant impact on our team and made us much better. I also think signing Fabregas would have done the same. As for now and who we could/should sign and who is actually gettable, Alex Song would be an instantly able defensive midfielder who we could seriously look at IMHO.

Sorry mate, often forget which thread I'm reading. I agree on both him and fabregas.

Song, maybe... I also like Medel at Cardiff for that role, surely he will be leaving there
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,933 posts | 283 
      Reply #570: Jul 13, 2014 12:23:40 pm
      What is happening in the search for fullbacks? We could do with at least an additional 2 into the squad.
      Johnno cant cut it, Flanno is young and wont be able to play every game in all comps and Jose, even though the best of the 3 on his day, does not have the best track record at staying injury free/fit over the course of a season.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #571: Jul 13, 2014 02:38:17 pm
      F**k but this 'fantasy' thread has taken a bit of a turn. From a 'If I were Brendan who would I sign' to 'I'm gonna piss on your parade... let's talk FSG' in no time at all.

I guess it appears we all need lessons and to be (re) enlightened about 'the realities of life' from time to time. Anyhow... back on topic - elite players: did I mention Marco Reus?  ;D
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #572: Jul 13, 2014 03:06:38 pm
      Draxler
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #573: Jul 13, 2014 03:12:03 pm
      F**k but this 'fantasy' thread has taken a bit of a turn. From a 'If I were Brendan who would I sign' to 'I'm gonna piss on your parade... let's talk FSG' in no time at all.

I guess it appears we all need lessons and to be (re) enlightened about 'the realities of life' from time to time. Anyhow... back on topic - elite players: did I mention Marco Reus?  ;D

When was the last time a thread on this forum didn't get derailed? :D
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,323 posts | 2855 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #574: Jul 13, 2014 03:39:17 pm
      We probably only have enough for one of those Brian so with the squad we have now, with no other additions, which one would improve us enough to win the league?

oops thought it was a free to pick anyone you want .

Lahm be Munich for life Id say. Pogba we could cope without Reus likewise.

Hummels so

Quick Reply