Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

The 'War Chest'... who will leave?

Read 15727 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: The 'War Chest'... who will leave?
      Reply #46: Apr 27, 2014 10:33:52 am
      ... and about 5 new hardworking and focused players who are here for the privilege and not the CL money that we will now have.
      You'd get no end of takers if "hardworking" and "focused" is all you're looking mate.

Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #47: Apr 29, 2014 09:27:19 pm
      I'd only like to see us bring in 2 or 3 top quality players.
      I know we have a war on all fronts next season,
      but we have a lot of young players due to come back from loan
      and a lot of squad players already.

If we spent our money on making sure we got our top targets,
      unlike this season where we missed out on Willian, Salah and Konoplyanka,
      then I wouldn't worry too much about the rest of the quad.

Before people think I've gone completely against my previous stance,
      where I said our squad is too small, I don't expect our squad to remain
      the same and fully expect some of the squad filler to be moved on.
      In that case of course we need to replace them, but I priority should
      be to get some quality into the team.

I'd be looking full backs and wide attacking options before we do anything else.

Pretty much echoes my thoughts mate. If we could bring in 3 genuine difference makers ie. players who are up to the current quality of our 1st team then we will be in business. Another forward, an attacking middie and a full back seem to be the biggest areas of need, and perhaps another centre mid while we're at it. We've got a few lads coming back from loan who should be ready to contribute in Suso and young Ilori and (as you say) we may see a couple more of the youngsters playing in the domestic cups next season, I would not be surprised to see Ibe, Texeiria and Rossiter all getting some game time next season.

Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #48: Apr 30, 2014 11:33:22 am
      The Telegraph says we are after 5 new players and if 70 mil is our "war chest" incl sales, then my 5 would be Lallana, Konoplyanka, Son Heung-min, Ben Davies and Saul Niguez
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #49: Apr 30, 2014 01:13:14 pm
      The Telegraph says we are after 5 new players and if 70 mil is our "war chest" incl sales, then my 5 would be Lallana, Konoplyanka, Son Heung-min, Ben Davies and Saul Niguez

I'd say 5 is too many, 2 or 3 yes but 5 new starters would disrupt the team too much and there's no point buying squad players, we have enough of them.  We currently have 10 players out on loan who have been playing more or less every week for their loan Clubs and with the exception of Pepe and Assaidi I think they'll play some part for us next season. 

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #50: Apr 30, 2014 03:12:38 pm

I'd be pretty interested in bringing Son here. He's a player we should've looked at back when he was on Hamburg.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #51: Apr 30, 2014 11:27:29 pm
      Our squad

Mignolet, Jones
      Enrique, Flanagan
      Sakho, Agger
      Skrtel, Toure, Ilori
      Johnson, Kelly
      Gerrard, Lucas
      Henderson, Allen
      Coutinho, Suso, Texiera
      Sterling, Assaidi
      Suarez, Aspas
      Sturridge, Borini

The problem areas are obvious. I wouldn't be surprised to see both Kelly and Johnson leave. Same with brad jones. I'm quite confident that Assaidi and Aspas will both leave, with Borini being our impact sub.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #52: Apr 30, 2014 11:30:11 pm
      Our squad

Mignolet, Jones
      Enrique, Flanagan
      Sakho, Agger
      Skrtel, Toure, Ilori
      Johnson, Kelly
      Gerrard, Lucas
      Henderson, Allen
      Coutinho, Suso, Texiera
      Sterling, Assaidi
      Suarez, Aspas
      Sturridge, Borini

The problem areas are obvious. I wouldn't be surprised to see both Kelly and Johnson leave. Same with brad jones. I'm quite confident that Assaidi and Aspas will both leave, with Borini being our impact sub.

I think Brendan has said that getting Johnson to sign a new contract is a priority. Although, if he's requesting too much you may have a slight point.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #53: Apr 30, 2014 11:36:21 pm
      I think Brendan has said that getting Johnson to sign a new contract is a priority. Although, if he's requesting too much you may have a slight point.

Do you personally think his performances merit a pay increase? It'd be nice to give him a year extension and get in someone to replace him from starting XI. Not sure Kelly can cut it. We will see
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #54: May 01, 2014 03:10:06 am
      Our squad

Mignolet, Jones
      Enrique, Flanagan
      Sakho, Agger
      Skrtel, Toure, Ilori
      Johnson, Kelly
      Gerrard, Lucas
      Henderson, Allen
      Coutinho, Suso, Texiera
      Sterling, Assaidi
      Suarez, Aspas
      Sturridge, Borini

I put a line through all the people I don't think will be at LFC next season. Borini will be our impact sub?... so everytime we get a penalty we are going to bring him on to score it?  :roll: Seriously, the 2 goals he got recently were both penalties... in open play he's scored 3 goals from 29 games. I seriously hope Sunderland stay up, as for some reason the fans like him and I doubt he will move there if they are relegated. If Borini is meant to be an impact sub what exactly is he meant to impact? it certainly won't be goals.
      « Last Edit: May 01, 2014 03:22:09 am by Ribapuru »
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #55: May 01, 2014 10:21:18 am
      Do you personally think his performances merit a pay increase? It'd be nice to give him a year extension and get in someone to replace him from starting XI. Not sure Kelly can cut it. We will see

It makes no difference what I think, I have no influence on what happens at the club.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #56: May 01, 2014 10:26:05 am
      I put a line through all the people I don't think will be at LFC next season. Borini will be our impact sub?... so everytime we get a penalty we are going to bring him on to score it?  :roll: Seriously, the 2 goals he got recently were both penalties... in open play he's scored 3 goals from 29 games. I seriously hope Sunderland stay up, as for some reason the fans like him and I doubt he will move there if they are relegated. If Borini is meant to be an impact sub what exactly is he meant to impact? it certainly won't be goals.

Just bear in mind that he's going to get a lot better service here at Liverpool. We ought to get rid of Aspas no doubt, but I'm in two minds when it comes to Borini. He can improve but whether he'll be good enough is a decision only BR can make.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #57: May 01, 2014 01:29:07 pm
      Just bear in mind that he's going to get a lot better service here at Liverpool. We ought to get rid of Aspas no doubt, but I'm in two minds when it comes to Borini. He can improve but whether he'll be good enough is a decision only BR can make.
      if it's service that's been the problem could somebody please explain to me Borini's 3 goals from 61 shots in open play in 29 games and why for the same team Wickham has 5 goals from  21 shots in 12 games from open play?  Can someone also please explain why when Borini was at Liverpool before he didn't do much better?  Oh yeah I get it... Borini is brilliant I'm just missing the point he has movement and doesn't stand still for 90mins  :roll:
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #58: May 01, 2014 02:17:58 pm
      if it's service that's been the problem could somebody please explain to me Borini's 3 goals from 61 shots in open play in 29 games and why for the same team Wickham has 5 goals from  21 shots in 12 games from open play?  Can someone also please explain why when Borini was at Liverpool before he didn't do much better?  Oh yeah I get it... Borini is brilliant I'm just missing the point he has movement and doesn't stand still for 90mins  :roll:

Jesus Ribapuru  :D

I don't know. We will have to wait and see.

Edit: just remember I have more likes than you!  ;)
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #59: May 01, 2014 06:01:30 pm
      Jesus Ribapuru  :D

I don't know. We will have to wait and see.

Edit: just remember I have more likes than you!  ;)
      bah.. likes are often returned. . If I started clicking like more often mine would go up too.. I wouldn't mind Wickham.  He's almost unnoticed compared to his talent level.  I'd certainly do a swap deal. He's like the English Morata.
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #60: May 01, 2014 08:08:04 pm
      Borini is young and I would back Brendan to get something out of him next season, even if he was just used as a rotation/ cup striker. BR has brought on other young players this season to a new level, now that he has firmly implanted his ethos on the squad - give him the chance to do the same with Borini. But if we get 3 goals from 20- odd games next year, then yeah, time for him to go.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #61: May 04, 2014 06:09:30 am
      http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/03/brendan-rodgers-liverpool-six-new-signings

Brendan Rodgers estimates around half a dozen players may be needed to bulk out his Liverpool squad to the required depth for the Champions League but the manager has no immediate concerns about having to buy in creativity.

"I think with 96 goals in the league we are doing OK in that department," he said. "We will need to bring in players over the summer, and the great plus about being in the Champions League is that it makes it easier to attract the top ones, but we have developed a style of football over this past year that is already being recognized."
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #62: May 04, 2014 06:10:04 am
      BR has apparently told he needs 5-6 new players, thats hardly surprising cos he now has to replace Moses and Cissokho who are temporary, else the number would have been 4.

The 'war chest ' according to DailyMail is 60mil and Lallana, Luke Shaw, Marcos Rojo, Richards, Caulker, Konoplyanka are the supposed "targets". Thats a hardly convincing list and one we cant possibly do in 60mil with Shaw in it.

I would say only Lallana, Konoplyanka & Rojo (who can play CB & LB) look promising and the 3 together would cost around 40mil.

With BR looking assured on the attacking front, I guess the other priorities will be a CM and a CB. Premium investment is definitely required on the former. Another versatile attacker would be a bonus but may be looked at during Jan
      « Last Edit: May 04, 2014 06:21:03 am by Vicks86 »
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #63: May 04, 2014 07:44:04 am
      Brendan has spoken highly about the owners and execs, as you would expect an employee to do under the media glare, surely that can't include investment, just his relationship with the execs.
      Because even when the varying: transfer or pocket money was announced (which is odd), I have lost faith in the execs and owner in regards to getting the deal done.
      If John Henry is to show Brendan his confidence in him, he should be on the phone to Ayre when a deal is on the table
      Ayre, "I'm over in Ukraine, the owner doesn't want some money now then I'll iou you the rest on 4 instalments."
      John Henry, "Ian, do whatever it takes to get the job done"
      Ayre"he doesn't want the 67 quid I offered, he wants like 7.8 million quids"
      John Henry"ian... give him 8 mil and get the deal done"
      Hangs up.

JH best back Brendan because other teams who will fund him properly and show mutual confidence/faith- may lure him away in the coming years.
      I'm talking Barcelona, real Madrid, Bayern etc
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #64: May 04, 2014 08:28:09 am
      The 'war chest ' according to DailyMail is 60mil and Lallana, Luke Shaw, Marcos Rojo, Richards, Caulker, Konoplyanka are the supposed "targets". Thats a hardly convincing list and one we cant possibly do in 60mil with Shaw in it.
      Aye mate the contradictory nature of that 'report' would indicate that it's nothing more than speculative sh*te.  ;)
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #65: May 06, 2014 06:09:50 pm
      Don't forget ross barkley has been mentioned as a target for 30 odd million quid. Can't see brendan spending that on one player regardless of how good he is.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,681 posts | 6976 
      Reply #66: May 07, 2014 10:19:26 am
      As much as I believe Lucas and Johnson are probably surplus to a first XI I think it could be dangerous to sell them this summer.

I really really hope we keep Agger too.  I do not get what Rodgers has against him - I can only assume it is a personality clash like with Pepe.

Fringe players leaving - fair enough - but at least for the next year I would like to keep the majority of those who have played at least some part in this season.  Like many said the squad needs gradual improvement now, not wholesale surgical Spurs treatment.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,039 posts | 3963 
      Reply #67: May 07, 2014 10:46:14 am
      Issues have to be addressed, when the team comes under scrutiny the same chinks in our armour appear and the more intense the questioning the greater the failing.
      No better example than the Chelsea game when a weakness width-wise failed to stretch their lines to any extent and they were allowed to sit back waiting for the inevitable error(s) to be served up.
      The failings at the back where magnified subsequently and it has to be left to the manager to decide where his priorities lie, as mentioned wholesale tampering must be avoided.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7154 
      Reply #68: May 07, 2014 01:12:27 pm
      we are letting two loan players go and I would be loathe to let anyone else go we need 25 players for the CL and we can barely get a decent bench together now.

Quick Reply