Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

Adam Lallana (Southampton)

Read 123272 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Adam Lallana (Southampton)
      Reply #23: Apr 29, 2014 09:42:42 am
      Fingers crossed this is more than a rumour, he's a great player, ideal for our playing style and will only get better under Brendans tutelage.  He'll add a bit of strength, aggression and experience to the starting 11 but is still young enough to improve.

Let's hope the earlier rumours about getting Nathaniel Clyne are also true, think he'd be a fantastic long term replacement for Glen.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #24: Apr 29, 2014 09:57:52 am
      Times, Telegraph and Mail all reporting this last night.

More in it than just a rumour it seems.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,421 posts | 2836 
      Reply #25: Apr 29, 2014 10:18:12 am
      Would be one hell of a signing this - absolute joy to watch.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #26: Apr 29, 2014 10:53:03 am
      So what I take from that article is that Lallana has said nothing of the sort but the Mirror reckon that's the case??
      They didn't even throw in the usual, "A source close to the player..."

I realised that when I was reading it but thought there could be something happening.

I hope it's true anyway and career wise, we're the obvious choice of the three. At Chavski he'd be part of a bloated squad and would be benched or played in a deep position half of the time.
      He'd probably do well for the Mancs but he's at an age where he has earned a shot at CL football.
      We're in the CL and our style of play would definitely suit him, I think he'd continue to grow here.

Completely agree with this.

He can also play in a couple of positions which makes him Brendan's type of player (using Sterling, Sturridge, Coutinho, Flanagan as a few examples).
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,027 posts | 3960 
      Reply #27: Apr 29, 2014 10:58:05 am
      Whenever he is discussed in the media in a transfer context LFC is always mentioned, either one of two or three interested clubs or generally as a player preference.
      Smoke and fire spring to mind.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #28: Apr 29, 2014 11:56:13 am
      Jordan has fake boobs?  :o

He hides them well under his shirt

Uses his fringe to deflect attention from them.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2852 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #29: Apr 29, 2014 01:23:53 pm
      Whats he like on a cold winters night at the brittania?  :f_tongueincheek:
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #30: Apr 29, 2014 01:45:24 pm
      Whats he like on a cold winters night at the brittania?  :f_tongueincheek:

He's sh*t, even Begovic outscored him in November :f_tongueincheek:
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #31: Apr 29, 2014 02:57:56 pm
      Well, looks like Lallana is a legit target. Would be a boss addition to the squad.

As for the "he's not a winger" bit: Agree that he's not, but he does play a bit on both sides because he can operate quite well there.

EDIT: He's actually played left, middle and right an equal number of times according to WhoScored.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #32: Apr 29, 2014 03:01:38 pm
      Actually we don't "realllllyyy" need wingers. All we need is a pair of incredibly good attacking wing backs
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #33: Apr 29, 2014 03:03:05 pm
      Actually we don't "realllllyyy" need wingers. All we need is a pair of incredibly good attacking wing backs

Well i think we need more quality depth and options in a couple of areas, and another wide or option centrally would definately help
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #34: Apr 29, 2014 04:37:08 pm
      Well i think we need more quality depth and options in a couple of areas, and another wide or option centrally would definately help

Guess we'll go back for Konoplyanka then..
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #35: Apr 29, 2014 04:38:06 pm

So for the Champions League, Premier League and the 2 domestics we have to rely on Sterling and Coutinho as possible wide options? I'd say that's incredibly unrealistic. Lallana would add so much to our team both out wide and centrally. 
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #36: Apr 29, 2014 04:44:04 pm
      Lallana's not just a winger, he can play pretty much anywhere across the midfield.

£25m is quite a price though. Not 100% sure about that. While he is a quality player who's had a couple of good seasons, he could just as easily be seen as a big fish in a small pond à la Robbie Keane, Aspas, Voronin, Riera et al.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #37: Apr 29, 2014 04:49:07 pm
      So for the Champions League, Premier League and the 2 domestics we have to rely on Sterling and Coutinho as possible wide options? I'd say that's incredibly unrealistic. Lallana would add so much to our team both out wide and centrally.

Yo, what I meant was we don play with "genuine" wingers in our system. If we are back in for Konoplyanka, we'll have Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling, Borini & Kono as our options in front-3. Ideally I would like one more versatile attacker, esp if Assaidi and Aspas are sold.

Coutinho, Lallana, Hendo, Allen, Lucas & Captain Fantastic for the midfield-3. Going for another CM/DM over Lucas is another discussion in itself
      « Last Edit: Apr 29, 2014 05:02:13 pm by Vicks86 »
      lerpwl_am_byth
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts |
      Reply #38: Apr 29, 2014 05:00:23 pm
      He could just as easily be seen as a big fish in a small pond à la Robbie Keane, Aspas, Voronin, Riera et al.

I would usually be inclined to agree with your doubts but I think his performances for England suggest otherwise.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #39: Apr 29, 2014 05:14:56 pm
      Haven't watched enough of Southampton this season to make a proper judgement call on him. I do love a player who can use both feet effectively though.

Going to bow to the judgement of others on this one as he seems an extremely popular target.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,381 posts | 6404 
      Reply #40: Apr 29, 2014 05:19:42 pm
      Proven against premier league competition and an exciting player to watch, let's get him!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #41: Apr 29, 2014 05:35:45 pm
      Haven't watched enough of Southampton this season to make a proper judgement call on him. I do love a player who can use both feet effectively though.

Going to bow to the judgement of others on this one as he seems an extremely popular target.

I've watched all their games since February. If we nick a few players of them i wouldn't mind one bit.

Lallana and their fullback duo of Clyne and Shaw wouldn't be out of sorts at the biggest teams in the world. Quality with a capital K.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #42: Apr 29, 2014 05:43:01 pm
      Very classy player.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #43: Apr 29, 2014 05:44:11 pm
      Yo, what I meant was we don play with "genuine" wingers in our system. If we are back in for Konoplyanka, we'll have Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling, Borini & Kono as our options in front-3. Ideally I would like one more versatile attacker, esp if Assaidi and Aspas are sold.

Coutinho, Lallana, Hendo, Allen, Lucas & Captain Fantastic for the midfield-3. Going for another CM/DM over Lucas is another discussion in itself

Well we only have one genuine winger in our first team squad and that's not enough. Are you saying that we don't play with genuine wingers or are you saying that we don't need wingers because one of the number of systems we use means they aren't necessary?

We used players in wide positions earlier on in the season, Coutinho was often found at LW and Sturridge or Suarez at RW. Our lack of wide players though means that such a system can't be used all the team. There is nothing wrong with having options that's for sure especially when we will be playing Champions League football next season.

It's so hard to say exactly who or what we need though when we have quite a few players out on loan. All I will say though is that if we do sign Lallana then you won't see me complaining.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #44: Apr 29, 2014 05:45:38 pm
      I have watched a fair bit of Southampton last season and a bit more this season, though mostly from the start of the season, not so much of late. Anyway, Lallana is without a doubt a very good player. I'm a bit wary of the £25M price tag considering he's already 25 and only really became a 'big name' in this past year or so. It might just be that he wasn't given a proper chance before (he's played for the Saints all his life and only recently they got back to the EPL) or perhaps he's going through a purple patch and isn't going to sustain that level of performances for the future. I think the first hypothesis is more likely and I totally see him becoming a success at a bigger club, but it makes me feel a little bit insecure.

I also like lots of other Southampton players, especially Schneiderlin who was possibly their best last season.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #45: Apr 29, 2014 07:52:29 pm
      Some of our fans get a bit stick because they are accused of being against signing English players, but I think we all can agree on lallana, the guy is class. Sign him up ASAP, that means don't let ayre do the deal.

Quick Reply