Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

Is this really probably "our best ever chance" to win the league?

Read 9087 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Is this really probably "our best ever chance" to win the league?
      May 05, 2014 10:52:17 pm
      Everyone's saying it so it must be true right? If Liverpool don't win it this season it'll be far harder next time because everyone else will strengthen. Chelsea will spend big money, Man Utd, Tottenham, Arsenal, Man City also. We'll be in Europe too, so we're royally f*****.

I'm not sure I accept it though to be honest. The hardest thing to do in football is to create chances, to open teams up, to put it in the onion bag on a regular basis. That's where the players are most expensive, in the creative side of the game. We've already shown we can create and score against everyone, so why are we suddenly going to stop next season? Equally, I've heard it said that we haven't "really" suffered with injuries. We had Suarez out for the first five games though, Sturridge has been injured twice, Enrique injured all season.

No, I don't see it. If we keep Suarez we will score hatfull of goals again next season. Sterling and Sturridge will be better still, as will Coutinho and Henderson. Buy some back up for the top end, rethink the back end a bring in some experience/quality and we'll challenge again next season. We might yet win it this time too, don't despair.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,299 posts | 4945 
      Re: Is this really probably "our best ever chance" to win the league?
      Reply #1: May 05, 2014 10:53:33 pm
      It was, and could still be, a great chance Mick.

Won't be the last on the evidence of what I've seen form our lads this season.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,116 posts | 3370 
      Reply #2: May 05, 2014 10:57:07 pm
      Yes it is our best chance.

Come the final whistle on the 11th May, our best chance of winning the League will be 2014/15 season. The once that year finishes, it'll be the 2015/16 season regardless of whether we win the League this season or next.

One game at a time is all I F***ing read, so instead of looking two/three/four years down the line let's concentrate on the present day. Next season isn't important as of now, that only becomes important once this season finishes.
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #3: May 05, 2014 11:04:12 pm
      how can anybody even think that this is last chance to win the league? This is Liverpool whit 18 league titles. This is great club whit great history and to even think it is last chance it is just absurd.

Yes there is gray aria at the moment but it can't last forever
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #4: May 05, 2014 11:08:08 pm
      This season we've officially announced our arrival as one of the big boys again, we're here to stay, and that means challenging for the title on a regular basis.
      Add to that Spurs and Everton will probably fall back into the mid table mix in a few seasons, which will leave us as one of 5 contender for the crown.
      And who knows, City and Chelsea's owners may decide to sell up some day, which could lead to a decline in their fortunes, and maybe the Scum won't recover from Moyes mess for 24 years!

But regardless of what our rivals do, we'll be right in the mix.
      Scottbot

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #5: May 05, 2014 11:09:54 pm
      No doubt it's our best chance for me, without a doubt but I do believe we're back in business. Everyone keeps banging on about how it's been so much easier for us not having European football but if that was really the case then why doesn't a non-Europe side come out of the woodwork every (or any) season?

Our transfer business last summer was shocking so the key obviously is to get the right players on this summer to deal with the extra football next season. No more Aspas, Moses, Alberton or Cissoko's. They need to be much much better.

We can certainly challenge again but I must admit, I would be happy with a good run in the Champions League, a run at the title and consolidating our position in the top 4
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,177 posts | 526 
      Reply #6: May 05, 2014 11:18:47 pm
      Good post Mick, I see us as strong as any of the usual suspects next season, except we will have learned a lot from this season and think we can kick on again. All the pundits saying Chelsea, Citeh, Gooners, Scumbags and the Spuds will spend big and leave us behind, can't see that myself.

We will be spending a bit ourselves, so can see us holding our own.

Lets face it, Scum bags need to spend at least £150 million to get anywhere near us, in fact Oscar Pistorius has got more chance of getting athletes' foot than them finishing above us next season.

Keep the faith fellow Reds.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #7: May 05, 2014 11:19:03 pm
      yes.

next question.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,203 posts | 838 
      Reply #8: May 05, 2014 11:26:32 pm
      Yes it is our best chance.

Come the final whistle on the 11th May, our best chance of winning the League will be 2014/15 season. The once that year finishes, it'll be the 2015/16 season regardless of whether we win the League this season or next.

One game at a time is all I f**king read, so instead of looking two/three/four years down the line let's concentrate on the present day. Next season isn't important as of now, that only becomes important once this season finishes.

Absolutely spot on mate.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #9: May 05, 2014 11:26:46 pm
      No F***ing way should we sell Daniel Agger this summer. There is little confidence to inspire me with when Sakho is defending. Before he came to the club, I was unsure of how he played. I've now noticed that he's a good tackler and is very good in the air, but he is prone to making so many errors. He lacks composure when in possession and can often be very wasteful with his passing.

As for Glen Johnson, there is no doubt he gives his all. He's an attacking minded right back who seems to be losing his legs a little. Defensively he's a mess, but who isn't in our defence?

Where was Steven Gerrard today? In that 12 minute period he went missing. He's our captain, our boyhood hero. Where was he?

We are ahead of schedule, but this is a huge wake up call. You cannot win the title conceding this many goals
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #10: May 05, 2014 11:35:23 pm
      He lacks composure when in possession and can often be very wasteful with his passing.

To be fair he's actually accurate as F**k with his passing in the most part.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,421 posts | 2836 
      Reply #11: May 05, 2014 11:38:44 pm
      No I don't think so.

7th to 1st was always going to be a tough ask. Even Chelsea and City when they were taken over had to consolidate themselves in the top four before winning the league. This experience will make us better. The extra games don't bother me either, all recent winners of the league were competing in Europe so it's obviously not that important. The key has to be the summer window though. We've got into this habit of totally F***ing up our summer window and we simply can't let it happen again. We have a great team and now we need to make a great squad because it's the great squads that win the league.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #12: May 05, 2014 11:38:45 pm
      To be fair he's actually accurate as f**k with his passing in the most part.

Because he doesn't pump it forward, his statistics will favour him. I've seen him misplace many easy passes this season. The football we play, we ought to have defenders who are better composed in possession. They don't offer us that, nor do they offer us any resilience. It's lose-lose when it's comes to our defenders
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #13: May 05, 2014 11:52:23 pm
      With Brendan Rodgers at the helm i think not , A young and extremely talented manager i would say top drawer and with the grace of God he'll be here longer than Shanks . I had my doubts and criticised him at times but we'll win the league with him , if not this season then next but we will and anubody that says different needs their head examined .
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #14: May 05, 2014 11:56:08 pm
      With Brendan Rodgers at the helm i think not , A young and extremely talented manager i would say top drawer and with the grace of God he'll be here longer than Shanks . I had my doubts and criticised him at times but we'll win the league with him , if not this season then next but we will and anubody that says different needs their head examined .
      Ha, nice one..one things for sure MAN U and Chelsea are going nowhere !! FAST !
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #15: May 06, 2014 12:05:03 am
      We are just ahead of schedule.

That really says it all, we've arrived!
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #16: May 06, 2014 12:08:49 am
      Ha, nice one..one things for sure MAN U and Chelsea are going nowhere !! FAST !
      united will struggle for a while and no amount of money will help them , i think van gaal will struggle to get to grips with the PL . Chelsea could easily part ways with Mourinho , these are things that money will have no bearing on . City will be difficult to deal with and if they struggle with the CL again it could be bye bye to pelligrini and another manager that will need time to settle in . Rodgers is the man .

siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Reply #17: May 06, 2014 12:11:06 am
      Because he doesn't pump it forward, his statistics will favour him. I've seen him misplace many easy passes this season. The football we play, we ought to have defenders who are better composed in possession. They don't offer us that, nor do they offer us any resilience. It's lose-lose when it's comes to our defenders

WTH are you talking about mate? Sakho's passing has been very good, AND he is the one more likely to pass it foreward
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #18: May 06, 2014 12:40:33 am

Sakho plays it forward far more than Skrtel or Agger. Plays better passes, too. Much more penetrative & likely to start off an attack.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #19: May 06, 2014 01:26:48 am
      As for Glen Johnson, there is no doubt he gives his all. He's an attacking minded right back who seems to be losing his legs a little. Defensively he's a mess, but who isn't in our defence?

Agree he is a mess at defending.

Just remind me how many of our 99 league goals he has scored or created?

siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Reply #20: May 06, 2014 01:36:12 am
      He has even lost the few odd goals he used to score every season
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #21: May 06, 2014 01:45:24 am
      Agree he is a mess at defending.

Just remind me how many of our 99 league goals he has scored or created?

Two assists with zero goals. Despicable statistics really. Especially for someone who has been involved in a woeful defence.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #22: May 06, 2014 01:49:44 am
      Don't know what annoys me more. That Glen is sh*te, or that people are only now starting to realise it. He's been gash for three seasons now.

Anyway, no this isn't the best "ever" chance. We are Liverpool (who read that and sang tralalala?) not F***ing Leicester. We will be up there again next season and the one after that and the one after that.

Quick Reply