Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 20th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

Ashley Cole (Chelsea)

Read 14860 times
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Re: Ashley Cole (Chelsea)
      Reply #92: May 14, 2014 05:17:14 pm
      It was a student who was on work experience but yes Cole was the one who fired the gun after apparently "larking about".
      He could use it on Glen then because he looks like he's on work experience .
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #93: May 14, 2014 05:23:07 pm
      I don't want this little gobs***e anywhere near our club. Irrelevant from ability.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #94: May 14, 2014 05:54:28 pm
      To be honest I'm not all that bothered, clearly he has made a few mistakes but I'm not be to get all high and mighty about it, as I said earlier I worship a player who bit another player (Twice!). Cole is hardly Peter Sutcliffe, he is a very good player though, hugely experienced and better (in my opinion) than the full-backs we currently have at the club. Yes he would no doubt command a fairly hefty salary but a 2 year deal with no transfer fee makes perfect sense to me. Of course you could argue there would be parallels with the Joe Cole deal but I think it's fair to say Cole's legs were well and truly shot by the time we got him.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #95: May 14, 2014 07:40:17 pm
      He could use it on Glen then because he looks like he's on work experience .

:D
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #96: May 14, 2014 08:47:58 pm
      To be honest I'm not all that bothered, clearly he has made a few mistakes but I'm not be to get all high and mighty about it, as I said earlier I worship a player who bit another player (Twice!). Cole is hardly Peter Sutcliffe, he is a very good player though, hugely experienced and better (in my opinion) than the full-backs we currently have at the club. Yes he would no doubt command a fairly hefty salary but a 2 year deal with no transfer fee makes perfect sense to me. Of course you could argue there would be parallels with the Joe Cole deal but I think it's fair to say Cole's legs were well and truly shot by the time we got him.

Pretty similar opinion Scott. My worry would be more towards his motivation and expect him to move to America for the money rather than to somewhere that would demand him playing at his very best to pick up his cheque.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,417 posts | 6418 
      Reply #97: May 14, 2014 10:49:25 pm
      Pearce quoted on Twitter that any links with us and Cole are simply untrue.

Good news to me.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #98: May 14, 2014 11:34:12 pm
      Pearce quoted on Twitter that any links with us and Cole are simply untrue.

Good news to me.

Fair enough. Still think he'd be a good acquisition.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,414 posts | 8642 
      Reply #99: May 15, 2014 01:03:03 pm
      I wonder does Ashley still have a penchant for sticking mobiles up his arse?
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #100: May 16, 2014 11:57:19 am
      Fair enough. Still think he'd be a good acquisition.

Cole five years ago would have been. Don't think he has the legs to cope with our pace these days. Most likely we'll see him pop up in America somewhere. That seems to be the current retirement home for European players.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #101: May 16, 2014 06:47:14 pm
      The chavs don't want to extend his contract,
       he's out from the england squad
       Ok he has experience, but lacking pace
       He is over his best now, and he is 33,,and what about his wage demands?
       Why should he be good for us?
      YNWA
      Scottbot

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #102: May 17, 2014 02:34:24 pm
      The chavs don't want to extend his contract,
       he's out from the england squad
       Ok he has experience, but lacking pace
       He is over his best now, and he is 33,,and what about his wage demands?
       Why should he be good for us?
      YNWA

He is still pretty quick. Certainly quicker than young Flanagan.

He is a decent solid passer of the ball who rarely gives it away and he has some good attacking instincts.

He has played the last 10 years in a defence that has generally been the best in the business and that is something we could probably do with.

He is highly experienced.

Also, I've seen nothing to suggest that motivation has suddenly become an issue for him.
      poolio_54
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 376 posts | 11 
      Reply #103: May 17, 2014 08:23:59 pm
      I wonder does Ashley still have a penchant for sticking mobiles up his arse?

Was it not rumoured at the time that it was fat frank who did the sticking?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #104: May 17, 2014 08:41:14 pm
      He is still pretty quick. Certainly quicker than young Flanagan.

He is a decent solid passer of the ball who rarely gives it away and he has some good attacking instincts.

He has played the last 10 years in a defence that has generally been the best in the business and that is something we could probably do with.

He is highly experienced.

Also, I've seen nothing to suggest that motivation has suddenly become an issue for him.

I agree Scott, my only real concern is his personality.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #105: May 17, 2014 09:11:38 pm
      Was it not rumoured at the time that it was fat frank who did the sticking?

Jermaine Jenas wasn't it ?

Frank was too busy eating all the pies.
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #106: May 17, 2014 10:04:29 pm
      Is anyone really serious about Cole coming to Liverpool.  Why would sign a busted flush?
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #107: May 18, 2014 12:01:00 am
      cole is a filthy scumbag. he can f*** off
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #108: May 18, 2014 12:04:56 am
      cole is a filthy scumbag. he can f*** off

Least he doesn't beat up his girlfriends like Downing and Carroll did...

Point being - he wouldn't be the first scum bag that becomes employed at Liverpool.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,417 posts | 6418 
      Reply #109: May 18, 2014 12:41:45 am
      Don't understand why there is even still speculation on this one, he is NOT coming here. And really, don't see why anyone would want him to when there are better options.
      Scottbot

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #110: May 18, 2014 07:37:43 am
      Is anyone really serious about Cole coming to Liverpool.  Why would sign a busted flush?

Perhaps not everyone thinks he is a busted flush. He is the same age as our skipper. How old was that other busted flush Flush Gary Mac when we signed him?

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,417 posts | 6418 
      Reply #111: May 18, 2014 12:30:02 pm
      Perhaps not everyone thinks he is a busted flush. He is the same age as our skipper. How old was that other busted flush Flush Gary Mac when we signed him?

Age is about the only thing he has in common with Stevie....as far as footballing ability, he's light years away in my mind.
      Scottbot

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #112: May 18, 2014 06:25:22 pm
      Age is about the only thing he has in common with Stevie....as far as footballing ability, he's light years away in my mind.

He's a full back, we don't need him to be Steven Gerrard.

This guyis still a decent player, in fact he is still a very good player. I can understand those who don't want him because they think he is an asshole, that's fair enough but how can anyone deny he is a quality player?

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #113: May 18, 2014 06:52:44 pm

This guyis still a decent player, in fact he is still a very good player. I can understand those who don't want him because they think he is an asshole, that's fair enough but how can anyone deny he is a quality player?

He might be decent for short bursts mate, but I don't think he can run up and down that left side at full belt for 90 minutes, and if he can't do that we don't need him, we need someone else who can.

Gary Mac and Gerrard can slow their game down by switching how they play.
      I think it's nigh on impossible for a fullback to do that in BR's system.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,417 posts | 6418 
      Reply #114: May 18, 2014 09:06:31 pm

I know Gerrard isn't a fullback, my comparison deals with the generalities of being a footballer. As far as fitness and skill, I don't think he's even in the same league as Gerrard.

As for denying he is a quality player, I absolutely do deny that at this point in time he is a quality player. Did he make any sort of positive impact on Chelsea's season? Is there a long line of teams trying to sign him? I think the answer to both is probably no and with that in mind I just think we would be better served to look elsewhere for a true quality player.

Quick Reply