Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Thoughts on our season

Read 12885 times
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 524 posts |
      Thoughts on our season
      May 11, 2014 05:43:06 pm
      Now our season is over I think it's important to reflect because city's results should not affect our perception of LFC's season. It has been quite amazing really. The main issues are;
      1. Brendan Rogers has been a revelation. His man management particularly of Suarez, developing younger players and media management has been exceptional, as has his work with Dr Steve Peters. The main questions for me will be around 'ameliorating' our style for games which require a more cautious set up and spending a lot more cash than usual wisely.
      2. Our front 4, and how breathtaking SSS and Coutinho can be.
      3. Henderson, Sterling, Flanagan and to a lesser extent Allen really coming on. Sterling has a frightening potential and the turn around from court appearances and that performance against Hull away is incredible.
      4. moving streets ahead of Spurs and United which suggests that we could tighten our grip on the top 4. Spurs' starting 11 will need additions to Lloris, Veronghen, Walker, Erikssen, Paulinho, and Adebayor. That's a lot of additions which may again not settle in addition to selling the majority of the dross they bought and getting a non-mediocre manager in. United's squad and manager issues are also well documented.
      5. We are in the champions league again which is exciting and means we can compete in the transfer market.

There aren't too many issues. You worry about Gerrard because of the last two games and their psychological impact but I think he's good enough to recover and convince Suarez to stay. I think we will have two players in each position next year;
      Mig, Jones
      Enrique, Flanagan
      Johnson (because he's Brendan's type of fullback), and another good right back. Kelly and Wisdom will go I think
      Skrtel, Sakho, Ilori (after keeping out Messi and Co), and a new Agger. I think Agger will go because he won't play alongside Sakho (two left footers) and Skrtel (see Swansea game). I am also concerned about the Ox and Soldado outrunning him. Toure or Coates may go.
      Gerrard, Lucas
      Henderson, Allen
      Coutinho, Suso
      Suarez, Sturridge, Borini, Sterling
      Llalana will hopefully come in also.

Aspas, Alberto, Taxeira and Ibe will need some consideration.

Really proud to be a fan. I ll be cheering on at the Aviva on Wednesday
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Re: Thoughts on our season
      Reply #1: May 11, 2014 05:58:56 pm
      Positives are as follow:

1. Suarez

2. Sturridge

3. Sterling

4. CL Football

5. WE ARE BACK!
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #2: May 11, 2014 05:59:11 pm
      Fantastic season. Ultimately we've achieved our pre-season goal, although ATM that is of little consolation.  Our thread bare squad has achieved more than they realistically should have. They have shown utter quality,  consistency and determination more often than not. All we need to do is add 5 or 6 quality signings in the summer, consolidate CL status again next season, and then keep pushing.

whatever the case may be, I am hugely proud of the redmen.
      Nox
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 358 posts | 22 
      Reply #3: May 11, 2014 06:05:02 pm
      Great season, offense is stellar and we need to keep our key players. Dump Aspas somewhere. I don't know if we should get rid of some of our defenders or not but would rather bring on quality defenders and create competition with our current squad.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,326 posts | 773 
      Reply #4: May 11, 2014 06:13:43 pm
      Despite a great season of playing such attacking football scoring over 100 goals in the Premiership alone. I cannot help feeling a sense of anti climax that the lads did not quite win the title. Perhaps expecting too much too soon maybe. Defence being the major concern tbh feel we need a whole new back four. Sort the defence out with a back up keeper and we will surely be genuine title defenders next season.
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #5: May 11, 2014 06:25:43 pm
      A fantastic season. So proud of what these players and staff have achieved.
      Only the obscene spendings of a billionaire deprived a team that scored over 100 goals (amassing 84 points in the process) of the title. The Premier League title is purchased annually, but we nearly bucked that trend. City have the trophy but we have the respect of anyone who understands what true sport is about.
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #6: May 11, 2014 06:33:33 pm
      Overall a great season. Hard to not be disappointed at how it all ended.

Major work to that back line needs to be done. But we're back, and with some quality signings we'll be around for a long time to come.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #7: May 11, 2014 06:38:52 pm
      Never thought I'd feel so deflated about finishing 2nd with 101 goals for the season. Great season it may be but the fact remains, we blew the title. Big Summer ahead of us.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #8: May 11, 2014 06:46:33 pm
      Never thought I'd feel so deflated about finishing 2nd with 101 goals for the season. Great season it may be but the fact remains, we blew the title. Big Summer ahead of us.

We only had it in our hands for a couple of weeks and even that had to take ELEVEN straight wins just to get that far. Blow the title? How about the simple fact that Man City WON the title.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #9: May 11, 2014 06:46:38 pm
      We should have won the league.  We go out to finish first, not second or third or fourth.  we had it in our hands and we bottled it.  F***ing gutted and you could tell Stevie was too in his interview post-match.  And if I hear one more time that we ran out of steam or we were never expected to win the league therefore it's not a big deal that we didn't---if I hear that one more time I might break something.  Let's put it this way: if we were in 5th place with three games left---Chelsea at home, Palace away, and Newcastle at home, and we needed 7 points from those games to finish fourth, well... it would be considered a failure.  We should be getting 7 points from those games.

I was thinking more about it last night: okay, Mourinho parked the bus.  But basically, if at the first whistle, his lot had gone back and parked the bus, and our lot had gone back and parked the bus, and both teams had just sat on their arses in front of the goal and let the ball stay at the half way line---if we had done that we would have gotten a point.  Then all we would have needed would have been to throw 2 more CBs on 3-0 away at Palace and we'd be holding the title right now. 

And FFS don't start with this "winning the right way" bollocks.  We won the right way 99% of the season.  If winning the title meant parking the bus for one game against Chelsea and then the last 15 minutes against Palace, then I would take it every day of the week.  Anyone here who says "I'd rather not win the title if it means we have to sit deep for a game" is lying. 

It's all the more important because we have no idea if we're going to be back here anytime soon.  the Mancs gave us a gift with that tw*t Moyes, Arsenal bottled it, Chelsea were young and inexperienced---the stars aligned for us this season.  Next season the Mancs are getting a proven world-class manager with a huge cash injection in the summer.  City will be City again.  Chelsea will stock up again.  We'll have more money for sure but we'll never be able to compete financially with the likes of those three.  Plus we'll have CL to deal with next season.

I don't know.  Second place is not a trophy.  We should be the ones celebrating winning the league today.  I don't see how anyone can be anything but gutted.  "Yea, we finished second!"  Leave that to Arsenal supporters.  We had the best chance to win the league in 20 years and we blew it.  And worst of all we didn't have to.  We had it in our hands.

I'm F***ing gutted.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #10: May 11, 2014 06:50:51 pm
      I was thinking more about it last night: okay, Mourinho parked the bus.  But basically, if at the first whistle, his lot had gone back and parked the bus, and our lot had gone back and parked the bus, and both teams had just sat on their arses in front of the goal and let the ball stay at the half way line---if we had done that we would have gotten a point.  Then all we would have needed would have been to throw 2 more CBs on 3-0 away at Palace and we'd be holding the title right now.

And FFS don't start with this "winning the right way" bollocks.  We won the right way 99% of the season.  If winning the title meant parking the bus for one game against Chelsea and then the last 15 minutes against Palace, then I would take it every day of the week.  Anyone here who says "I'd rather not win the title if it means we have to sit deep for a game" is lying.

It's all the more important because we have no idea if we're going to be back here anytime soon.  the Mancs gave us a gift with that tw*t Moyes, Arsenal bottled it, Chelsea were young and inexperienced---the stars aligned for us this season.  Next season the Mancs are getting a proven world-class manager with a huge cash injection in the summer.  City will be City again.  Chelsea will stock up again.  We'll have more money for sure but we'll never be able to compete financially with the likes of those three.  Plus we'll have CL to deal with next season.

Great. Another master of disguising hindsight as predetermined fact.

Blowhard nobs.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #11: May 11, 2014 06:51:10 pm
      Fantastic season, for me, best yet since the premier league started.

The only negative is our defending, rest has been positive, positive and positive.

We keep the core players in tact, improve defensively and we'll be challenging for Champions league and the Premier league next season.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #12: May 11, 2014 06:52:15 pm

Yeah and then with 10 minutes to go he changes tactics (because they needed the win) and get a goal, what then Fed? We look like complete tits for sitting in our own half for 80 minutes while they weren't even threatening, the whole thing is based purely on hindsight.

Look what happened at Palace, if we drew against Chelsea we still wouldn't have won the league. Sure you can say but at 3-0 we'd have managed the game better. Who's to say we'd have got to 3-0 we would have started the game more cautiously I reckon and probably wouldn't have got to 3-0. Maybe we wouldn't have thrown it away and had the legs to finish the game then, who knows.

The truth is nobody actually knows and it's too convenient to play the game of absolutes when based on hindsight. Stevie doesn't slip we don't know how that game finishes, it's that simple.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #13: May 11, 2014 06:55:12 pm
      Yeah and then with 10 minutes to go he changes tactics (because they needed the win) and get a goal, what then Fed? We look like complete tits for sitting in our own half for 80 minutes while they weren't even threatening, the whole thing is based purely on hindsight.

Look what happened at Palace, if we drew against Chelsea we still wouldn't have won the league. Sure you can say but at 3-0 we'd have managed the game better. Who's to say we'd have got to 3-0 we would have started the game more cautiously I reckon and probably wouldn't have got to 3-0. Maybe we wouldn't have thrown it away and had the legs to finish the game then, who knows.

The truth is nobody actually knows and it's too convenient to play the game of absolutes when based on hindsight. Stevie doesn't slip we don't know how that game finishes, it's that simple.

It's pathetic it really is. You suspect it would be these same individuals leading the sh*t storms of protest if we had sat back at home AND LOST. You couldn't make it up could you?
      TyrannaSuarezRex
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #14: May 11, 2014 06:59:56 pm
      I went for a shave at the end of the game and decided to reflect on the season with a face full of Gillette.  :)

At the end of the day, this has been an absolutely phenomenal season for us and we can really push on from here.

Man City not winning the league would have been an absolute disaster for them and Pellegrini would probably have been sacked for failing to secure the title.

Bearing in mind, if that scenario had played out, I think City could have potentially looked to Rodgers as a real option to take them forward. Imagine what Brendan could achieve with a bottomless pit of money available to him?!

So, I think missing out this season isn't the complete disaster that some people are making it out to be. We have a great young, albeit small squad that will gain experience and improve. With the right additions we can compete on all fronts next season.

The extra group stage Champions League games are often called a big distraction, although I think that is an easy throwaway excuse for not producing the goods in the league to be honest.

Chelsea and Man City have both finished in the top 4 having been in the Champions League this season and whilst they have had big squads to be able to cope, I think 5 or 6 additions will allow us to do the same.

Lots of neutrals are expecting us to fall by the wayside next season, but there is nothing to suggest that is going to happen.  Man United fans kept expecting their season to turn around at various points but there was no reason to even begin to think that would take place based on their form and ultimately it didn't. So I think we have a massive chance to kick on and compete for honours every season now.

I've been listening to the radio phone-in with Stan Collymore on Talksport which is always good for a bit of a laugh and some of the comments were eyebrow-raising to say the least.

A few people blaming Rodgers for us not winning the league, which is pretty incredible really considering he is responsible for us being in a position to challenge for it against all the odds in the first place.

Lots to look forward to over the summer with new signings being made and the squad being re-shaped and refined for battle next season. We should be able to attract some quality talent to the club and lots of players will see us as an exciting challenge who are going players with a young squad under a young manager.

Who wouldn't want to play alongside the likes of Luis Suarez and Steven Gerrard after all?

Onwards and upwards. I'm a very proud Liverpool supporter today!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #15: May 11, 2014 07:34:36 pm
      We are the first team since the Spuds in 1962-63 to score more than 100 league goals ...... and .......concede more than 50 in the same season.

We had not conceded 50+ goals in a 38-game top-flight season since 1914-15

Fachts
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #16: May 11, 2014 07:51:55 pm
      It's pathetic it really is. You suspect it would be these same individuals leading the sh*t storms of protest if we had sat back at home AND LOST. You couldn't make it up could you?

I agree. Like P.D. said in the match thread too when Riba tried to hang the blame on the other bad results we've had, City have had them too! I believe the best squad has won the league and we've done an absolutely astonishing job to finish 2nd to them.

Most entertaining team in the league.
      Best player in the league.
      Best manager.
      Best young player.

We would have won so many new young reds this year that we have every right to take every crumb of encouragement from it. Anyone jumping on our ship now is in for a great ride I reckon.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #17: May 11, 2014 07:57:15 pm
      Disapointed and happy at the same time, we achieved so much this season but gave it all away! Really made up though back into the champions league and big nights at Anfield, next season We Go Again.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #18: May 11, 2014 08:09:15 pm
      Well, at least on the bright side, United's season was an utter shambles. Got to put a smile on the face of any true Liverpool supporter :D
      7DocUnleashed
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts | 10 
      Reply #19: May 11, 2014 08:25:05 pm
      As much as the last two weeks have broke my heart, I think a bit of perspective is needed.

We have finished second - ahead of Chelsea and all their oil millions. Ahead of a cash-splash happy Arsenal. Well ahead of United.

We have at times played some breathtaking, exhilarating football. We have some incredibly talented young players who will be the foundation of our team for years to come, coached by a talented bright young manager, who is a credit to our club.

The important thing now is to kick on in the right manner. We need to avoid the mistakes made in the past when we were in this position. (Houllier/Diouf) (Rafa and the Alonso/Barry debacle)

We go again.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #20: May 11, 2014 08:27:38 pm
      Pride
      Belief
      Bittesweet
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #21: May 11, 2014 08:29:08 pm

Suarez not getting banned...
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #22: May 11, 2014 08:34:06 pm

Still missed the first 5 games :D

Let's hope he can go a full season without getting injured or banned, just imagine how many he would have had. The lad needs to understand that at one point during the season though he needs to take a rest. I think the last few games he's looked like he's been pushing himself against his body, granted one was through illness.

Think his mind never wants to take a rest but for his own sake and finishing the season in the best possible form when it feels like it counts more might mean he has to take a few games on the bench next season. No way I can see him playing a full world cup and then every possible game for us.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,057 posts | 546 
      Reply #23: May 11, 2014 08:36:28 pm
      Great season - exceeded expectations.
      Disappointed that we didn't win it when we did have a chance. The Chelsea slip was the key moment that cost us. But proud of the way we played in the second half of the season, including that Chelsea game.
      I'd still like us to bring back Steve Clark to tighten us up at the back. I think it would help us psychologically as well as tactically. But overall we improved a lot over the course of the season and are now a genuinely good side, and entertaining as hell to watch, easily the most exciting in the prem.

We came close to winning it with the squad we have - 2 or 3 good additions in the summer, and a wee bit more tactical/organisational tweaking, and we have a real chance again next season.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #24: May 11, 2014 08:47:23 pm
      Although it was a fantastic season in terms of how much we've improved - from 7th to 2nd, it's still bittersweet because we threw the title away. That kind of thing can knock you back or become a useful experience to learn from. For us I think it's the latter and we'll continue to get better next season. Not only is the team young but Brendan Rodgers is far from finished in his own development. He's shown so far what he can do and he should now know what final tweaks the team needs. Hopefully he'll be backed in the transfer market this summer and gets his first choice signings, whoever they may be.

Onwards and upwards and who else is can't wait for European nights at Anfield again  ;D
      poolio_54
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 376 posts | 11 
      Reply #25: May 11, 2014 09:23:29 pm
      I think it's exceptionally tough on us to say we threw the title away. It was tight all along n no matter what the media may say it was never really ours to lose. In 14 games we lost a tough game against against a team that made the CL semis n granted we choked against palace but after today's result whether we drew or won on Monday night was irrelevant neways. We did amazing to finish where we did, against all expectations and reawakened this club from top to bottom in the process. Let's not let this disappointed drag us down and carry through the same fire into next season. Let's see the same flag waving zeal from the fans from the start of next season and see were it gets us. This is gone, next season WE GO AGAIN!
      « Last Edit: May 11, 2014 09:54:49 pm by poolio_54 »
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,480 posts | 2863 
      Reply #26: May 11, 2014 09:58:17 pm
      Firstly, I'll never say we threw it away. I'm a firm believer that to win the title, you have to lose it. Even more so with a team as young and inexperienced as ours. City got lucky, not this year but two years ago when they did lose it but somehow managed to claw it back on the same day. We didn't quite manage to repeat it but we gave it a hell of a go. To win 12, draw 1 and lose just 1 in your last 14 games is absolutely incredible by any standards but I think we just left ourselves a bit too much to do with those back to back defeats in the Christmas period.

It's rare that we don't win anything and I still call a season a success but I can't get away from it, this was a successful season. Not only did we climb from 7th to 2nd (when did someone last do that?!) but we did in such a wonderful way. A stunning style of football. I've watched a fair bit of football in my time and I don't think I've ever seen a team genuinely look like they are going to score with every attack in the way we have. And it's built on a core of English players, in a time when the national side is struggling and we hear every week about the lack of local lads in the top flight there we are playing the best football in the league with SIX English regulars. Amongst them Sterling, who's probably the best young player in the league and Henderson who's the most improved. Chuck in a Uruguayan genius and the best young manager in the world and that's quite something.

But the greatest thing of all I've seen this season has been the togetherness in the squad. It's another 'best ever' for me - never have I seen a Liverpool squad look so united as one. Might be a bit of a strange thing to point out but the way we celebrate goals is just incredible, everyone diving on each other - just pure joy. The celebrations for Flanno's first ever goal were a personal highlight for me.

But now we move on. In the words of our captain - we go again. We need to channel the hurt the lads are feeling tonight and use it as our fuel for next season. We have to take advantage of the position we're in and buy top class players. If we do that we're going to be saying hello to the glory days very soon - I've never felt so sure about it.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #27: May 11, 2014 10:33:20 pm
      Just come across an article comparing the difference in final league positions if only English people had scored. It made me even more proud of not only our club but also of Brendan Rodgers for giving so many English players the opportunity to ply their trade in the best league in the world and for helping them improve their game so much.

Some of the interesting/important finishes where only goals from English players mattered:
      1st: Liverpool - 49 of our 101 goals were scored by English players
      2nd: Southampton - 38 of 54 goals
      3rd: Man United - 36 of 64
      4th: Everton - 19 of 61
      9th: Chelsea - 10 of 71
      11th: Arsenal - 11 of 68
      15th: Spurs - 9 of 55
      18th: Man City - 4 of 102

Personally, I think it is disgraceful that the team who won the ENGLISH league title only had 4 goals of their eventual 102 scored by English players. Couldn't be more proud of our lads!!

I've saved the tables to my documents but I have no idea how to attach them on here. I've posted the link so that people can look at them though.
      http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/05/11/upshot/up-soccer-table.html?_r=1
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #28: May 11, 2014 10:51:46 pm
      Love how the thickle media are picking apart the team, the same media that didn't give us a chance of top 4 at start of season and were falling over themselves to lick our backsides 2 weeks ago. F**k them, we'll go again

Great season. So so many highs, so few lows. Can't wait for it to start all over again
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #29: May 11, 2014 11:01:04 pm
      Thoughts ? It reminds me that I hate losing . Period . Will no doubt accept that 2nd is a good result in context of 7th last year , injuries , bans and the like . But I hate coming second best to anyone - even if they are 'better' than me.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #30: May 11, 2014 11:02:32 pm
      Another season over.....

Nuff respect to Phil Dowd for issuing that yellow card when Newcastle players borrowed the delay tactics a la Chelsea.

We came second in the league. A big improvement from last season. Gutted though, that we came this close to winning the league.

F**k Jose Mourinho and his gutter tactics that should have had his players yellow-carded for deliberate delays.

F**k Chelsea!

F**k Everton's keeper Tim Howard whom I believed deliberately allowed some cheap goals in; from Aguero and the header from Dzeko, to give ManCity the win; thereby tilting the Premiership title in their favour. I hope they lose Mirallas, Barkley, Naismith and their manager.

F**k Chelsea again.

TheShanklyGates
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #31: May 12, 2014 12:08:37 am
      I'm delighted with how the season has gone. No one would have expected us to finish where we did. Of course I'm devastated we never won it after being so close but the players and staff will learn from mistakes. We'll bring in players,get rid of some,regroup and come back bigger and better. It's only the beginning my friends.

Just saw Hansen on MOTD saying ultimately the season will go down as a failure. I really don't agree with that at all. Back in August the big goal was to secure top 4 and we did it with weeks to go anything else,including a title challenge is a bonus. Like I said I am devastated we didn't win it but the season is far from being a failure. I agree with Stevie,with the set up and players we have the title isn't far away.

I already can't wait for pre season, the transfer window to open and to do it all over again.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #32: May 12, 2014 12:14:03 am
      Another season over.....

Nuff respect to Phil Dowd for issuing that yellow card when Newcastle players borrowed the delay tactics a la Chelsea.

We came second in the league. A big improvement from last season. Gutted though, that we came this close to winning the league.

F**k Jose Mourinho and his gutter tactics that should have had his players yellow-carded for deliberate delays.

F**k Chelsea!

F**k Everton's keeper Tim Howard whom I believed deliberately allowed some cheap goals in; from Aguero and the header from Dzeko, to give ManCity the win; thereby tilting the Premiership title in their favour. I hope they lose Mirallas, Barkley, Naismith and their manager.

F**k Chelsea again.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Howard let a couple in. When aguero beat him at the near post, Howard went down but his arms never moved towards the ball.

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #33: May 12, 2014 12:18:02 am
      I'm delighted with how the season has gone. No one would have expected us to finish where we did. Of course I'm devastated we never won it after being so close but the players and staff will learn from mistakes. We'll bring in players,get rid of some,regroup and come back bigger and better. It's only the beginning my friends.

Just saw Hansen on MOTD saying ultimately the season will go down as a failure. I really don't agree with that at all. Back in August the big goal was to secure top 4 and we did it with weeks to go anything else,including a title challenge is a bonus. Like I said I am devastated we didn't win it but the season is far from being a failure. I agree with Stevie,with the set up and players we have the title isn't far away.

I already can't wait for pre season, the transfer window to open and to do it all over again.

agree with whar you're saying, just hope that this nagging in my head about the almost 08/09 season,  then what happened the season after is just that. A bad memory.

Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #34: May 12, 2014 12:28:53 am
      agree with whar you're saying, just hope that this nagging in my head about the almost 08/09 season,  then what happened the season after is just that. A bad memory.

Know what you mean but that season we lost Alonso, Arbeloa, Hypia and replaced them with dross. We're a different entity these days
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #35: May 12, 2014 12:36:02 am
      Delighted with the football we have played this season, delighted with the manager, happy with the team and the way they have performed over the whole season..... totally gutted that we failed at the last.

A couple of decisions in big games that went Citehs way were probably the difference. If Sterling's "goal" hadn't been disallowed against Citeh, and Newcastle's "goal" had stood against Citeh we would be champions. But we had the title in our hands with 4 games to go, so we have only ourselves to "blame".

In all honesty I think the goals and form of Suarez has hid a multitude of weaknesses, gave us the confidence to go forward and inspired those around him to play better. Deserves every plaudit he has received this season.

Gutted for Gerrard , I would have loved to see him with the cup in his hands.

Can't wait till next season now!

Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #36: May 12, 2014 12:43:35 am
      Delighted with the football we have played this season, delighted with the manager, happy with the team and the way they have performed over the whole season..... totally gutted that we failed at the last.

A couple of decisions in big games that went Citehs way were probably the difference. If Sterling's "goal" hadn't been disallowed against Citeh, and Newcastle's "goal" had stood against Citeh we would be champions. But we had the title in our hands with 4 games to go, so we have only ourselves to "blame".

In all honesty I think the goals and form of Suarez has hid a multitude of weaknesses, gave us the confidence to go forward and inspired those around him to play better. Deserves every plaudit he has received this season.

Gutted for Gerrard , I would have loved to see him with the cup in his hands.

Can't wait till next season now!

Multitude of weaknesses? Jeez oh we won 12 of 14 in the run in. We'd have won at Palace as well if we hadn't embraced the idea of scoring 5,6,7.
      And Suarez in those 14 games I think scored 8/9 goals. Not as sparkling as earlier on in the season, this is by no means a 1 man team
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #37: May 12, 2014 12:50:15 am
      Absolutely brilliant season, would have been nice to win the league but it was always a long shot. My main feeling is that we are finally climbing back on our perch.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #38: May 12, 2014 12:56:25 am
      Multitude of weaknesses? Jeez oh we won 12 of 14 in the run in. We'd have won at Palace as well if we hadn't embraced the idea of scoring 5,6,7.
      And Suarez in those 14 games I think scored 8/9 goals. Not as sparkling as earlier on in the season, this is by no means a 1 man team

We conceded 50 f**king goals, our defence has been a shambles for most of the season.  Not saying it is a one man team , but that Suarez early goalscoring form inspired the other players to lift their game and gave them the confidence to go forward.

BTW Suarez has not only scored 31 goals, but has made the second highest number of assists behind Gerrard.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #39: May 12, 2014 12:57:39 am

Considering that in 2009 our best player was sold and we bought some crocked sh*t Italian as his replacement (along with the sale of Arbeloa and the lesser and expensive replacement that was Johnson) I don't think you have much to fear going into next season.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #40: May 12, 2014 01:00:41 am
      Inspired by what was accomplished, sad that we couldn't close the deal, optimistic that with proper backing Brendan will turn us into the most feared team in Europe once again.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #41: May 12, 2014 01:04:09 am
      We conceded 50 f**king goals, our defence has been a shambles for most of the season.  Not saying it is a one man team , but that Suarez early goalscoring form inspired the other players to lift their game and gave them the confidence to go forward.

We also scored 101 goals so what's your point? Not buying into your Suarez theory either. Having Suarez was merely having another option/dimension to our team. Now, because we haven't won the league, the usual suspects come crawling out and effectively say he was papering over cracks. Talk about belittling the very obvious progress and form made by Sterling, Henderson, Sturridge and Gerrard this season because that's what you are doing. I mean, Luis Suarez is great, but he's not f**king Superman. Last time I looked, football was a collective game where we ascended and descended together as a team. But then again, people buy into individualism these days don't they?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #42: May 12, 2014 01:09:38 am
      Far too drunk to write coherently my thoughts on this season.  I will say the city is great.  I had an absolutely nightmare getting up here, including having my Liverpool bag, which had my scarves, replica tops etc, go 'missing' between Bristol & Birmingham and in trying to report it at the station, missed my connection and they wouldn't let me use my ticket on the next one, meaning I had to pay again. But Liverpool, the people and city, have made me feel at home and not for the first time.  Every time I come up here the people, red or blue, make me feel welcome and I've not  experienced any of that OOT sh*te you occasionally see online. 

I'm going to have another drink and toast this great city and all the lads and lassies I've met or am yet to meet. 
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #43: May 12, 2014 01:10:15 am

BTW Suarez has not only scored 31 goals, but has made the second highest number of assists behind Gerrard.

It's not just the back 4 that has contributed to conceding 50 goals. The defence Pepe Reina played in front of under Rafa was never man for man the best in the league, yet he always won Golden Glove - reason being he had 2 largely unadventurous full backs, 2 sitting midfielders and 2 wingers that did as much defending as attacking.
      I'm not saying that we shouldn't be looking to concede less goals but we need to be very careful that we don't get carried away in detracting from the fact we have the best attack in England and have played a hell of a lot of exhilarating, devastating football this year
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #44: May 12, 2014 01:13:41 am
      We also scored 101 goals so what's your point? Not buying into your Suarez theory either. Having Suarez was merely having another option/dimension to our team. Now, because we haven't won the league, the usual suspects come crawling out and effectively say he was papering over cracks. Talk about belittling the very obvious progress and form made by Sterling, Henderson, Sturridge and Gerrard this season because that's what you are doing. I mean, Luis Suarez is great, but he's not f**king Superman. Last time I looked, football was a collective game where we ascended and descended together as a team. But then again, people buy into individualism these days don't they?

To be honest I couldn't give a F**k what you buy into, he may not be superman but over the course of this season he has F***ing played like one.
      Yes other players have done well but for me without Suarez there would have been no title challenge.

Not in the mood for your shithouse posts today so I will leave it there.   
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #45: May 12, 2014 01:15:41 am
      To be honest I couldn't give a f**k what you buy into, he may not be superman but over the course of this season he has f**king played like one.
      Yes other players have done well but for me without Suarez there would have been no title challenge.

We also wouldn't have done so without Sterling, Sturridge, Henderson or Rodgers. Simple as. Now swivel on it.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #46: May 12, 2014 01:21:47 am
      Our initial target was 4th, we achieved that and at some point of time thought that we may not make it but nearly won the league instead. Job well done by the lads and BR.  So, no reason at all for me to be dissapointed but grateful to the lads and BR instead for what they have achieved. In all honesty, we have to admit that we don't have the quality of players on the bench to make the difference and that we may not have the experience to get the job done at the last lap. But, I'm sure now that we have gone through all that and this will be an invaluable experience for the lads and BR next season. However, the owners will seriously need to inject some dough to get in some quality players to bring us to a new level.

I'm sure the Luis Suarez saga will start all over again right after this to unsettle us and the only way for FSG to keep him is to show some ambition and get in some big name players.

Scored 101 goals and conceded 50 or more goals suggests that there's a sizeable gap in quality between defence and attack. We need to pluck the left and the right flanks with new players and get a DM ala Masch and we'll be ok. On the other hand, we have not really successfully replaced Sammi and a qucik towering defender is a must.

redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #47: May 12, 2014 01:27:48 am
      To be honest I couldn't give a f**k what you buy into, he may not be superman but over the course of this season he has f**king played like one.

Agreed, say take away Suarez and take away half of the 31 goals say 15 1/2 goals, where would we be by now? Missed out on CL football? Suarez is an essential part of the whole set-up. he has put fears into defenders and score some amazing goals. We need Suarez to be in the team unless we can get someone better than him.
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Reply #48: May 12, 2014 01:34:00 am
      All things considered, it has been a fantastic season!!  We have gone from perennial strugglers to potential contenders in 18 months.... the transformation has been stunning!!  I don't think there are many who would disagree with the statement that "we have the best starting 11 in England."  Where we really fall short of other teams like City, Chelsea, and even Arsenal is that we lack real quality depth off the bench.  If we can address this issue over the summer by adding real quality instead of quantity then we should be well placed to challenge for the league title again next term. 

At the end of the day, I'm just glad that I was actually able to really enjoy watching us play again this season!  We played exciting and entertaining attack minded footie, and we were pretty damn efficient at picking up points along the way.  Let's not forget that this was only the 2nd year of the BR revolution, so as odd as it sounds to suggest.... we are still a work in progress!!  We will continue to improve and hopefully next year we can add a trophy to our collection while we entertain!! 

Great year lads!!  YNWA
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #49: May 12, 2014 01:40:15 am
      Agreed, say take away Suarez and take away half of the 31 goals say 15 1/2 goals, where would we be by now? Missed out on CL football? Suarez is an essential part of the whole set-up. he has put fears into defenders and score some amazing goals. We need Suarez to be in the team unless we can get someone better than him.

Why is this a debate? What if you took away Suarez? What if Man City didn't have Aguero? What if Barcelona didn't have Messi? What if cows could fly to the moon?? WHAT IF?!!

You spend all season defending your team against accusations of being a "One man team" and then you read your own fans laying the same accusations at the seasons end. What a pile of F***ing sh*t. :mad:
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #50: May 12, 2014 01:50:22 am
      Why is this a debate? What if you took away Suarez? What if Man City didn't have Aguero? What if Barcelona didn't have Messi? What if cows could fly to the moon?? WHAT IF?!!

You spend all season defending your team against accusations of being a "One man team" and then you read your own fans laying the same accusations at the seasons end. What a pile of f**king sh*t. :mad:

When another forumner has a different opinion than yours it would help to debate it in a civil manner without resorting to f**k, s**t and all those words that you are so fond off. Go back and read all your previous posts and come back and tell me I'm wrong. You simply can't accept others that have different opionion, you need to win all the way. If that's the case, my dear friend, you'll end up talking to yourself here.  I'll just put you on ignore here and you can continue with your ramblings. I can see a lot of hatred in you, chill man. Ok, why dont you go request the MOD to put up a poll and see whether Suarez is an important part of the team.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #51: May 12, 2014 02:07:36 am
      When another forumner has a different opinion than yours it would help to debate it in a civil manner without resorting to f**k, s**t and all those words that you are so fond off. Go back and read all your previous posts and come back and tell me I'm wrong. You simply can't accept others that have different opionion, you need to win all the way. If that's the case, my dear friend, you'll end up talking to yourself here.  I'll just put you on ignore here and you can continue with your ramblings. I can see a lot of hatred in you, chill man. Ok, why dont you go request the MOD to put up a poll and see whether Suarez is an important part of the team.

After a long and tough season, it's hard seeing what I perceive to be a belittling of one of the finer stories of our season. And if I perceive wrong then I apologise. I'm sorry if I came across as full of hatred to you or s@int. I'm not full of hatred, just bitter frustration. Today and this whole season has left me emotionally exhausted.
      « Last Edit: May 12, 2014 02:21:56 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Reply #52: May 12, 2014 05:54:00 am
      Maybe in a few weeks il be able to look back and be positive about getting top four. But for now im devastated with how the season panned out and I cant any positivity within me.
      Sure our target was top four but coming so close and having the title in our hands and blowing it with three games to go is just so depressing. Even more so that I feel Gerards slip was what cost us the league. I feel so sory for him.
      Anyway as I said in a few weeks im sure il be more positive about what we have achieved.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #53: May 12, 2014 09:03:20 am
      After a long and tough season, it's hard seeing what I perceive to be a belittling of one of the finer stories of our season. And if I perceive wrong then I apologise. I'm sorry if I came across as full of hatred to you or s@int. I'm not full of hatred, just bitter frustration. Today and this whole season has left me emotionally exhausted.

I understand FMS, I'm no exceptional, I'm totally down for the last 2 weeks and missus have been avoiding me since then. After the Chelsea's and Palace game, I've slowly come to terms that we are indeed  a bit short of quality and experience to give us the final push to be champions. I won't fault the lads and BR a tiny bit but we hope that the owners could see that and start to sign some quality players early.

We go again, as the captain says.   
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Reply #54: May 12, 2014 09:41:18 am
      Obviously like everyone else I'm gutted we just fell short but all in all we have had a fantastic season and it's the most enjoyable league campaign I can rembmer in quite some time.

Our football at times this year has been breathtaking and I still don't think it gets the credit it deserves by some outside the club. If Barca played like we have this season they'd be drolling over it but that's by the by and as long as we fans appreciate it that's the main thing.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #55: May 12, 2014 11:03:03 am
      Well to say what IF we didn't have Suarez's goals is a tedious statement to make because its hindsight. If we didn't have his goals I bet Sturridge would of grabbed a lot more than we'd be saying what if we didn't have his goals and it goes on and on.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,599 posts | 1813 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #56: May 12, 2014 11:06:59 am
      Brilliant season. !

Unlucky in the end not to win the league.

We never bottled it, winning 12 from our last 14 is not bottling it.

Improvements all over pitch, even defence, apart from his OG's skirtel has been immense, has goals at the good end have helped us win many games.
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #57: May 12, 2014 11:17:26 am
      Great season, can't wait for next one. WE GO AGAIN
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #58: May 12, 2014 11:21:30 am
      I thought it was a fantastic season.  I was one of the few who said at the start that we could win the league.  And I got slated fo it.  I thought the team, the manager, the owners and the fans where brilliant. Everyone was together and fighting for each other.  It would of been  nice to win the title, but F**k me I have had a right good season watching them  It reminded me of the road to Istanbul.  Going through the same rictuals as you thought it would bring them luck.

God, I remember putting my little boys Liverpool top on him for the Chelsea and after the first half realising that it was not the same top he had on for the games before.  And immediately changing the top.

Its been a blast this year and I hold me head up high being a LFC fan.  We have shown the world how together this club is and how we fight for each other.

Roll on next year, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup and Old Big Ears (Could we get No6). 

So to end it all, and in the words of our great Captain.......WE GO AGAIN.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #59: May 12, 2014 11:25:00 am
      Wonderful season. Thoroughly enjoyed our quick style of play, our passion, our determination and the ease at which we've been able to blow teams off the pitch.

Slightly annoying falling at the last hurdle but that was possibly due to inexperience of handling such pressure.

But now we know. And we've learnt so much from this season which will put us in good stead for the future. 

Don't care if others think this was a one-off or we blew our best chance. We're back and we're here to stay and we'll only get better!

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #60: May 12, 2014 11:48:29 am
      Excellent season. It wont be like 2009, H&G completely f*cked us from then onwards until we got rid of them. We have a plan, have a plan now.

I am hoping Ibe, Suso and few others step up. I like the fullbacks for Dortmund I hope we get one of them. I also hope we get a top drawer central defender and we get a top drawer attacking midfielder and striker and keep Suarez and we will be fine.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,057 posts | 546 
      Reply #61: May 12, 2014 11:56:44 am

I think this is a different situation. That season I thought we actually did bottle it. We were top at new year and then had a really poor Jan and Feb - played over-cautious and ended up with draws against teams we should have been beating. we finished that season well to make it close at the end, but basically had let it slip mid season when it was in our hands. I fully expected us to have a hangover next season after that.

This time, for all the media bleating about us blowing it, we basically played well the entire second half of the season and it was really just 1 bad touch/slip against Chelsea that cost us. We were positive and on the front foot for the last 5 months and if we keep that up we will be in the reckoning again.

Plus we have a young squad that will get better, we should have money to spend in the summer, and we don't have Hicks and Gillett bleeding us dry.
      I feel very optimistic about next season, whereas at the end of 08/09 to me it already felt like the end of the Rafa era.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #62: May 12, 2014 12:08:03 pm
      Absolutely loved it  ;D
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,176 posts | 265 
      Reply #63: May 12, 2014 01:46:52 pm
      Excellent season. Full of hope for the better to come, thanks all players, BR and staffs.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #64: May 12, 2014 02:14:21 pm
      I really don't understand those of you who are depressed and down about coming 2nd to the most expensively assembled team in the history of football. We would have had to win 14 games on the bounce to have won the league, has any top flight team ever accomplished this before?
      The original goal was CL and we ended up challenging for the title until the final game of the season, that is one hell of an achievement!!

The future is looking very very bright for us.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,438 posts | 8656 
      Reply #65: May 12, 2014 03:38:46 pm
      We had a great season, unlucky possibly, but plenty of fantastic performances, what has gone against us has been our lack of squad compared to City and Chelsea. That more than anything is were we need to improve and is the next step for the boss, building up the squad to have us fully challenging next season.

The Reds are coming up the hill!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #66: May 12, 2014 04:49:30 pm

No problems, I think everyone was on edge and feeling frustrated yesterday.

We had a great season, unlucky possibly, but plenty of fantastic performances, what has gone against us has been our lack of squad compared to City and Chelsea. That more than anything is were we need to improve and is the next step for the boss, building up the squad to have us fully challenging next season.

The Reds are coming up the hill!

Welcome back Huyton .... been a while mate?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,438 posts | 8656 
      Reply #67: May 12, 2014 04:52:48 pm
      No problems, I think everyone was on edge and feeling frustrated yesterday.

Welcome back Huyton .... been a while mate?

Yep, work and then the title challenge, got a tad superstitious, you know how it goes.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #68: May 12, 2014 05:10:12 pm
      Yep, work and then the title challenge, got a tad superstitious, you know how it goes.

Yeah, I think we were all rubbing rabbits feet and crossing whatever we could mate, I wouldn't post in the match thread before games for about 7 weeks because we were winning.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #69: May 12, 2014 05:15:44 pm
      Brilliant. I loved every bit of it, from Mignolet's penalty save to Sturridge's winner vs Newcastle.

Can't wait for next season!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #70: May 12, 2014 05:34:13 pm
      Just watching all the goals from the season on lfc.tv, just fabulous how easy we made it look  ;D
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #71: May 12, 2014 06:03:01 pm

You're cracking up mate.

Maybe football isn't the sport for you? Maybe try something with a gentle pace - test cricket maybe? Crown green bowling perhaps?

Despite the banter I would hate to see you do yourself an injury; your lack of self control is really quite worrying for a grown man  :-\

Anyway, needless to say, apology accepted.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #72: May 12, 2014 06:24:20 pm
      Well, at the start of the season if we were told we would get top 4 then we would have been delighted with that, especially considering how much the likes of Spurs spent. It's human nature though, we always want more than what we've got. Not that that is a bad thing, we are all obviously disappointed we didn't manage to win the league but at the start of the season who knew this group of players would have ever got into the situation where the title would be a real possibility. We've gone from making up the numbers and floating around near enough mid table for a good 4 years now so to take the title right until the final game of the season and finish just 2 points behind a team that spent around £100m is incredible. We've finished ahead of Chelsea who spent a lot of money and country miles ahead of Arsenal, Mancs, Spuds who all spent big too.

We all know the area of the team that needs improving, at the start of the season I didn't think Migs was a £10m upgrade of Pepe Reina and I certainly don't think so now. In truth, he has had a mare of a season IMO, he has absolutely no presence or command of his penalty box. However, his penalty save at the start of the season was crucial and seemed to spring board a sudden self belief about the team that we can hang to a result and he has had his good moments, just has a lot of improving to do over the summer.

Think Johnson's time at the club is up, or at least it should be. Shocking, totally shocking season from him. Against Newcastle it's a damn good job we had Migs to make amends for his and Skrtel's lack of awareness. He leaves me with no confidence what so ever when he is on the pitch. He used to almost make up for his crap defending with his attacking but even that was awful this season. Lazy and just not up to it IMO.

Our defence was a lot weaker on the right hand side, we actually looked fairly strong on the left with Flanno and Agger. Skrtel has had some mares and a lot of shocking moments but hes been a key player at the same time, been crucial in some games.

I would think our season was lost against Chelsea, and it arguably was because then it was no longer in our hands with City having an easy finish but our defeat at Hull, Swansea draw, Villa and West Brom draws is where it was lost. It's games like that in which you MUST win, more so than against the other sides competing because they should be your so called "6 pointers". The chances of beating all the teams competing with you, both home and away are very unlikely and in truth you are lucky if you come out of them games with 4 points at most (against each team that is, not in total against the lot)!! They are the games we have to win to almost make amends for the dropping of points in tougher games. It's no good putting 110% against the likes of City but then having totally wrong mind set against the small teams. The defeat at Hull and the draw with Villa I think are the lowest points of this season, the way we got completely dominated by them was totally unacceptable and the whole attitude of the team was wrong. We responded to them games but next season I hope we would have learned our lesson and can put them results right.

Our season could easily have gotten off to a shocking start, the team could have been downbeat over the Suarez saga and also missing him through suspension but Sturridge stepped up and we soldiered on. We went from being solid at the back to shocking, them first 3 games this season we kept 3 clean sheets (some how went on to let in 51 goals after that), and it set the team up for a new level of confidence and self belief and pushed our season on.

Our attacking play was a joy to behold, total opposite to our defensive play where we were panicking and looking like headless chickens. The way we would sweep forward with Sterling, Sturridge and Suarez along with Gerrard, Coutinho and Hendo was joy to behold. The way we ripped through teams was up there with the best in world football. We were devastating and I really hope that with a few additions to the team we can keep that attacking spark and flair.

Our main aim over the summer has to be finding the right balance and making some massive decisions like moving on Johnson and although I like Lucas, maybe it's time he moved on if we got the right offer and can improve in his position. Though at the same time, I'm not in the slightest way against him staying at the club because he will always work for the team, just needs to find his level of consistency again that he had before he got the knee injury.

If we can get the right balance between attack and defence, cut out the silly and basic individual errors, along with some top class signings then I think we can go one step better next season. We have become an attractive proposition again, we can fight for the title and we are back amongst Europe's elite.

I said that I wasn't convinced about Rodgers because he hasn't proved anything yet, and that he should have a lot of answering to do should we end up not winning the league but he has taken us to a fantastic finish, just 2 points off City, stuffed the Mancs, Bitters, Spuds and Arsenal and I think his man management of the squad has been fantastic, he has kept everybody's feet on the ground and manage each player brilliantly. He managed the Suarez problems well, got the best out of Sterling and Sturridge and kicked some life back into Flanno when it looked like he wouldn't play for us again after having a bit of a rough time in his last outting. His signings weren't great by any means, whether Aspas, Alberto and Toure are at the club next season remains to be seen and well, the least said about Moses the better but we still rallied together and got the results. He made our season worthwhile again and made us all believe again.
      The one criticism of him I do have is his managing of the game against Palace, he should have put Agger on to see out the result at 3-1 but instead went for Moses. But at the same time I can kind of see why, in terms of trying to catch us up on goal difference. Trying to have it so that if it did come down to goal difference then we would have every chance, it didn't work out and I'm sure he knows that and he will manage the situation better in the future.

We may have become the latest team to not win the league whilst being top at Christmas (matching the feat of 08/09) but hell, I am damn pleased we managed to go so damn close and fought until the very end. We finished so far ahead of the Mancs it's hilarious. Next time we will make sure we go on to win it with more quality and more depth to the squad.

2nd place and 20 points ahead of the Mancs, along with an 11 game winning streak (or was it 12) is brilliant. If somebody had said this would have happened last summer then we'd have been more than happy to finish like that.

The amount of records we have smashed this season along with having the top 2 goal scorers (one of which matching a goal record) if fantastic.

Well in Reds, next season we will go one step further in the league. Glory days will soon be returning.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #73: May 12, 2014 07:07:30 pm
      You're cracking up mate.

Maybe football isn't the sport for you? Maybe try something with a gentle pace - test cricket maybe? Crown green bowling perhaps?

Despite the banter I would hate to see you do yourself an injury; your lack of self control is really quite worrying for a grown man  :-\

Anyway, needless to say, apology accepted.

What on earth made you think I was addressing you?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,356 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #74: May 12, 2014 08:30:08 pm
      Wed have snapped the hand of anybody offering us 2nd place back in August, we have come a long long way this season, yet there will be that pinch of regret that we didn't see it through and win it. We can argue till the cows come home as to why we didn't win it. Maybe 1 reason not being given is Man city. A fine side with quality throughout  the squad, they do deserve some credit here

Now for the very positives. With  a small squad with a lot of inexperience in it we finished 2nd and took it to the last day of the season. We done it by playing breath-taking football. Hammered some of our bigger rivals. The gaffer has promised this style will not change but will be improved upon, I believe him.  I also believe he will sort out any weakness he believes we have

Champions league football returns. Those great nights against Europe's best and whose to say we wont cause a surprise or 2 there! Oh and the added revenue

The biggest success of the season for me was the progression of the young lads. Flanno Raheem and Coutinho were at times outstanding. And the season will stand to them in the seasons to come. The slightly older and more experience Sturridge and Henderson were outstanding. Hendo improving to the point that I don't think he has any doubters left. If he can add a few goals to his game then he will be a superb midfielder

Look to shorten it down that was an outstanding season with so many positives. Thank you redmen
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,357 posts | 290 
      Reply #75: May 12, 2014 09:37:49 pm
      It's a strange one for me last few weeks,after the Chelsea defeat I was a miserable irritable git all week but then the palace draw didn't bother me too much as I'd already accepted it had gone. I'm not absolutely gutted now but still up and down,one minute proud and optimistic but after listening to radio merseyside and then seeing some of the Man City bus parade I felt like yelling,mard arse I know.
      I don't think we bottled it,beating United,Arsenal,Spurs and City on the run in isn't bottling. As regards the Chelsea game people say Rodgers got it wrong but it was only Stevie's slip that let them in and more importantly our mate Gary Neville was spot on when he said we lost our patience in that game,that's where we did lack the experience in those situations like City did the job against Villa.
      We will learn from the experience as will Brendan,he's a young manager don't forget much younger than Jose and Pellegrini.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6815 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #76: May 12, 2014 11:56:07 pm
      Still feel empty inside. Haven't brought myself to watching any news or looked at the paper because I don't want to read about City winning the Ttile. I accidently saw a photo of them holding that trophy aloft on Facebook and I shut down the site straight away.

For me personally, as much as I loved our season and enjoyed almost every moment of it, I still can't believe we are not Champions. We were so close, it felt like we had a hand on the Trophy, only to have it cruelly ripped away from us.

I can't get over the fact and I think it will take me a long, long time to get over it, that the Footballing Gods deserted us at the most cruelest of times and the moment for me that changed the whole complexion of the run in was when those cu*ts came and parked the double bus and Stevie slipped over. In no way will I ever blame Stevie as it could of happened to anyone, but the Gods made it Stevie that slipped of all people and from that moment I felt like it wasn't meant to be.

We lost the game, which led to us not having it in our own hands anymore, then we are 3 up against CP and think to ourselves, the next best way to win the Title will be goal difference so at 3-0 we decide to go for more and inexplicably concede 3 and end up drawing.

Our whole way of thinking was affected by that game against the Chav cu*ts.

I feel bitter, not against the players or Brendan who have all been magnificent this season, but towards the Footballing Gods who thought they'd inflict another cruel twist of fate on this Wonderful Football Club of OURS.

I can't think of next season at the moment, time will pass and I'll start to get excited about our possibilities but at the moment, I'm just licking my wounds.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #77: May 13, 2014 12:45:55 pm
      Wonderful season.

I'm gutted we didn't quite win the league, but delighted with how the team and manager have progressed.
      Experience like this is something that can't be coached, and I think for our younger players this will be a tremendous advantage in years to come, as well as the manager.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #78: May 13, 2014 04:54:30 pm
      Like everyone was absolutely shattered at not winning it .but like Swab i feel this lesson will be invaluable to the youngsters ,the experience of nearly having it and cruelly torn away ,should stand them in good stead for the rest of their careers they now now exactly what it takes to win, i think a very valuable lesson learnt however painfull it was. 
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #79: May 13, 2014 04:58:24 pm
      This season was great as far as I'm concerned. The team and manager have given me hope for years to come because; the nucleus of the team has the right mentality and performance levels.
      I can only surmise that things will improve further (probably defensively), common sense says that with additions of much needed quality and depth to the squad; overall, the team must improve too.
      At the core the team/manager are on the right wavelength.

Some interesting stats off http://www.statto.com/football/teams/liverpool

photo hosting
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #80: May 14, 2014 09:22:48 am
      It is a measure of the way the season has progressed that a position we would probably mostly accepted at the start of the season, seems like a huge let down at the end.  I like to be philosophical about it and consider that a season is a whole 38 games, and it is only the order those games played out that has us all so disappointed at the final outcome.

The biggest downside is the wait for the start of next season now, and the nervous wait to see all our players back from the WC unscathed.

On an interesting note saw this article today (don't know if it has appeared elsewhere) but thought it was relevant to this thread:

The Premier League Standings if Only Goals by English Players Counted  http://nyti.ms/RAt5ln
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #81: May 14, 2014 09:35:19 am
      The Premier League Standings if Only Goals by English Players Counted  http://nyti.ms/RAt5ln

What ever happened to journalism?  If this moronic journalist felt like imposing stupid, arbitrary restrictions on teams which hold no weight why didn't we base the league on goals scored by players with the surname S?  We'd have walked it even easier then.

Counting only English players' goals serves zero comparitive purpose, at least a count with only HG players would have meant very F***ing little which is more than the F**k all this table means.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,973 posts | 5033 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #82: May 15, 2014 11:32:17 am
      Still feel empty inside. Haven't brought myself to watching any news or looked at the paper because I don't want to read about City winning the Ttile. I accidently saw a photo of them holding that trophy aloft on Facebook and I shut down the site straight away.

For me personally, as much as I loved our season and enjoyed almost every moment of it, I still can't believe we are not Champions. We were so close, it felt like we had a hand on the Trophy, only to have it cruelly ripped away from us.

I can't get over the fact and I think it will take me a long, long time to get over it, that the Footballing Gods deserted us at the most cruelest of times and the moment for me that changed the whole complexion of the run in was when those cu*ts came and parked the double bus and Stevie slipped over. In no way will I ever blame Stevie as it could of happened to anyone, but the Gods made it Stevie that slipped of all people and from that moment I felt like it wasn't meant to be.

We lost the game, which led to us not having it in our own hands anymore, then we are 3 up against CP and think to ourselves, the next best way to win the Title will be goal difference so at 3-0 we decide to go for more and inexplicably concede 3 and end up drawing.

Our whole way of thinking was affected by that game against the Chav cu*ts.

I feel bitter, not against the players or Brendan who have all been magnificent this season, but towards the Footballing Gods who thought they'd inflict another cruel twist of fate on this Wonderful Football Club of OURS.

I can't think of next season at the moment, time will pass and I'll start to get excited about our possibilities but at the moment, I'm just licking my wounds.

Get up off your knees Ian, we had an absolute fantastically brilliant season, ok it wasn't to be in the end but I look at how far we have come in a very short space of time,

Yes it's gutting and of course it hurts like F**k but...

Last season we languished in 7th no where near CL a modern day acceptance of assumed success, no one gave us a prayer of finding that this season either, but now look where we are,
      I cannot and will not accept stuff like Mancs were 'nt good enough or Spuds were re building none of that matters, we would still have finished 2nd because we blew both of them amongst other rivals off the pitch, only Maureen's double deckers got the best of us,
      Arse done us at there place when we were still finding our feet,

All in all mate City got what they deserved and tbh that's fair fucks to them,

Take the possies rather than the negs mate,

Next year we go again,

More experienced, stronger, better

Keep yer chin up mate,

It's ours next season

YNWA

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6815 
      Reply #83: May 16, 2014 07:44:20 am

Get up off your knees Ian, we had an absolute fantastically brilliant season, ok it wasn't to be in the end but I look at how far we have come in a very short space of time,

Yes it's gutting and of course it hurts like f**k but...

Last season we languished in 7th no where near CL a modern day acceptance of assumed success, no one gave us a prayer of finding that this season either, but now look where we are,
      I cannot and will not accept stuff like Mancs were 'nt good enough or Spuds were re building none of that matters, we would still have finished 2nd because we blew both of them amongst other rivals off the pitch, only Maureen's double deckers got the best of us,
      Arse done us at there place when we were still finding our feet,

All in all mate City got what they deserved and tbh that's fair fucks to them,

Take the possies rather than the negs mate,

Next year we go again,

More experienced, stronger, better

Keep yer chin up mate,

It's ours next season

YNWA

Thanks mate, I'm slowly coming around and it helps that I still haven't seen any photos or vids of that mob holding The Trophy aloft. I'll get ther mate, just taking its time.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #84: May 16, 2014 09:10:54 am
      We are without a doubt the best team to watch. Some of our football was breathtaking.

But it is still killing me that with 3 games to go we needed 7 point to win the league and failed

I would of ripped someone's hand of if offered second place at the start of the season. Yet now it feels like failure 
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #85: May 16, 2014 05:58:22 pm
      I was sick to my stomach. However this is different to 2002 & 2009. Why?

Because we have the best manager for the future of this club, play the following games back on DVD or whatever and tell me you are not bursting with pride:

1) Utd away 3-0 AT A F***ing CANTER
      2) Arsenal home 5-1 COULD HAVE BEEN 10
      3) Spurs away 5-0 best performance away from home in the prem in years
      4) Everton home 4-0 need I say more - missed a pen
      5) City home 3-2 best prem game in years and helluva pressure cooker

you could add another 5 games that were outstanding, in terms of watching football we are the team that everyone wants to watch and all the players will want to play for.

WE ARE BACK
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,938 posts | 285 
      Reply #86: May 16, 2014 08:19:22 pm
      Was a great season. The lads did us proud. We are building something big here. This seasons was the tip of the iceberg.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #87: May 17, 2014 12:44:38 am
      First off a quick apology for the length of this (not the first time I have to say sorry for the length of things), but I like to go through a season after its finished , to try to re-live them, to try to arrange it in my mind and things ive forgotten, little bits I may remember differently to how they actually happened, look at a few of the key bits back, the goals I liked etc etc.. So as I really like the forum as a place to share things with fellow reds you get to hear it as well, you lucky buggers..
      Thanks for reading..
      So it began really with this..

Wow! 95,000 Liverpool fans "You'll never walk alone" in Australia at the MCG stadium

We were on a pre season tour to Australia, a tour that showed simply how big our club is, I know we have some Aussie reds on here who know the ins and outs of this club just as much as someone born in L4.. I remember thinking at this point that I wanted us to show the world what we are about and hoped we could have a season to pay back these boys in Australia who had given us the perfect boost to the season.

So who would have thought following the last pre season game last summer against Celtic in August that we go on to challenge for the league title? And ultimately miss out on the final day by 2pts..
      I personally said in July to myself that I wanted us to break the 70pt barrier this season, that’s the minimum mark of progression that we should be aiming at, that we should be pushing to break back into the top 4 and in the CL league places again as that would give us the much needed progression that the football club needed. I genuinely thought that it would be a tough competitive season and that we would improve on last year, as the second half of 12/13 had already shown the green shoots of recovery, and that we could continue that into 13/14.. We needed to find that ruthless winning culture again, that CL football was a necessity for us to progress and that I would be happy with that from where we were.
      A week after the Celtic defeat we opened up the league season at Anfield against difficult first day opponents in Stoke City, under new management and wanting to make their own impression.Three new faces lined up for the red’s, GK Simon Mignolet, a capture from Sunderland, Kolo Toure who had arrived on a free from Man City to replace the recently retired ex vice skipper Jamie Carragher and Iago Aspas from Spanish side Celta Vigo.
      Daniel Sturridge scored the winner, leading the line as star striker Luis Suarez was still suspended and also under potential transfer speculation linking him with a move away from Merseyside, but the real hero of the afternoon was Mignolet who produced a last minute penalty save from Jonathan Walters to give us a vital 3pts and a solid start to the season, its what dream debuts are made of.
      The following Saturday and the trip to Villa park for the first away trip of the season in what a tricky test on paper against Villa’s young side was made even tougher following their opening day win at Arsenal. Sturridge again the match winner with a superb finish following a flowing move to record a second straight 1-0 win.. The second half proved a test of us as a defensive unit as Villa pushed us back but it was 6 from 6 for Brendan’s red’s.

Daniel Sturridge GOAL Liverpool vs Aston Villa 1-0 (Goal Highlights) 24-8-13 2013 [HD 720p]

Before the next league game and the first major test of the early season where reigning champions Manchester Utd were coming to Anfield it was the League cup second round tie against Notts County of League 1. In a game we were expected to win easily and following 2 goals in the first half hour through Raheem Sterling’s first of the season and that man Sturridge , County forced their way back into the tie and found an equilizer five minutes from the full time whistle to take the game to extra time, maybe not ideal with the Utd clash on the horizon but the lads stuck to their task and with additional goals in the additional period from Sturridge and Henderson we were through to the 3rd round.
      A rawcus and expectant Kop welcomed Utd  for the 3rd game of the season as Liverpool flew out of the traps and grabbed the all important first goal as the man of the moment Daniel Sturridge nodded the red’s in front after just 4 minutes.. the following 86 was fairly comfortable, as we didn’t add another but never really looked like conceding against a blunt looking Utd as the game ended 1-0, what a start from us, 9 from 9, all 1-0 victories and all thanks to No.15 Daniel Sturridge.. Was this simply a strong start or the sign of things to come? The red side of Merseyside was smiling from ear to ear as we handed Moyes his first defeat in the fixture.

We had a fortnight wait following the Utd clash before the trip down to the Liberty Stadium to face Brendan’s former employers in Swansea City. A bit of an odd evening began with former red and new Swansea midfielder Jonjo Shelvey putting the south Wales side in front only to gift an equilizer to dangerman Sturridge with a short back pass which he took gratefully after only 4 minutes. New loan signing Victor Moses then cut out Shelvey’s cross field ball and ran on to score from the edge of the box ten minutes before the break to see us go in 2-1 at half time. That man Shelvey again with good work set up Michu in what turned out to be a poor second half from Liverpool as the game ended 2-2 and with it our first dropped points of the season.
      The Southampton clash at Anfield on September the 21st was a day where we all felt we would get back to winning ways following the draw at Swansea and continue such a strong start to the league season, however injury concerns to both full backs lead Brendan to start the game with 4 centre backs across the back 4, Daniel Agger started at LB and Kolo at RB.. It was a game we simply never got going in, maybe the lack of width which is so key to the manangers system was at the heart of it, or maybe it was simply one of those things, but come the final whistle we had been dumped back down to earth following Dejan Lovren’s goal shortly after the break. The first set back of the season though was softened slightly with the thought of talismanic striker Luis Suarez being available from suspension and chomping at the bit to get back involved following a frustrating summer as well as his 10 match ban which straddled the end of the previous season and the start of this. The only question was would he start straight away in the League Cup 3rd round at Old Toilet? Yes was the answer, however he couldn’t stop a second 1-0 reverse and elimination from the cup as the little pe(nis) again took advantage of slack marking from a set piece and again soon after the half time break.. Two defeats in a week had slightly taken the gloss off of our start to the season however the 90 minutes Luis got in his legs proved crucial as we went to the north east in our next league game 4 days later..
      Suarez scored twice, both assisted by strike partner Daniel Sturridge who added his 5th in the league as we comfortably won 3-1 at Sunderland.. The sign of things to come from the dangerous double act? We hoped so, the rest of the league not so much. People said that forward partnerships didn’t work in the modern game, well on this evidence ‘people’ know sh*t..

So September ended and we had 13 points to show from our opening 6 league games, Suarez was back, Sturridge had started the season well.. It was a pleasing start. I have been trying to recall as I write this how I was feeling at certain points of the season, its difficult knowing how it turns out to do so. But I think at this point I can honestly say I didn’t think we would challenge for the league, but I was content with the start, as we all know you cant win anything in the first couple of months but you can lose it, and the fixtures we had weren’t easy on paper, you have to go out there and put the performances out and start the long road of 38 games by winning in the early stages or whatever your target is pre season you are always playing catch up. I wasn’t getting carried away but 4 wins and a draw in our opening 6 was solid, a win over Utd in that run always makes it sweeter, even though we weren’t sure at that point simply how sh*te they’d be it was still sweet all the same, but we had a solid start to build towards Christmas.

October was on top us a quick as a flash, the season was bubbling on nicely and quickly which showed we had started well, however with only 3 games in the calendar month it was going to be a tough act to keep momentum up. First up was Ian Holloway’s struggling Crystal Palace, 2 goals in the first 17 minutes from the SAS set the tone and a Gerrard Penalty 7 minutes before the break as we added to their early season woes. We sat back in the second half and took our foot off the pedal as Palace grabbed the only goal of the second period, but still a comfortable win and another 3 points. After Palace was another trip to the North East, this time to Newcastle who had had a decent start to the season, the Geordies have the capability to beat anyone on their day as they proved against the special cu*ts chavs around the same time as our visit. It was another day we didn’t really seem to click by memory, but we showed fighting qualities which seemed to be matching our obvious talent. We came from behind twice on the day to take a point back to Merseyside in a 2-2 draw.. But even though it wasn’t the greatest of performances was it one showing we were made of the right stuff to get something out of a poor performance? Like we had at Swansea.. Games where we may well have come away with nothing in recent years we were digging in to get points.. Maybe further down the line we could turn some of these in to wins.. Could performances like these, or results in bad performances be ones we look back to in our evolution of a strong winning mentality? Not knowing when we are beat. Sturridge’s equilizer, adding to the captains penalty, with 15 minutes to go showed that fighting spirit, we were taking home a point where in the past we may not have done.

Back to Anfield for the final game of October delivered a comfortable 4-1 win over West Brom in what was probably the most fluid performance of the season to date. A hat trick from Luis and a Danny cherry on top meant 7 points from 9 in the month to continue the push for the CL places.
      I admit still not getting too carried away at this point, but 20 points from 27 was beginning to look a very strong start to the season.
      November again only threw up 3 games in the month, the first brought us our second defeat of the season at the Emarites to at that point a rampant Arsenal, the question was again on us to put a defeat behind us and get back to winning ways, especially having been beaten comfortably in London.
      The answer was emphatic, a 4-0 home win over Fulham, Luis Suarez with another 2 as he continued to show fantastic form following his return to the side.. The result showed me a couple of things I remember thinking, we had that ability to not lose games in bunches, that we could put poor results behind us and take the next game as something new.. And that we were turning Anfield into a fortress again.. 5 wins in 6 scoring 13 goals in the process. If you find a good solid home record, you wont go far wrong, something which in recent years, maybe even a decade or so we have struggled to put poor sides to the sword at home, and we seemed to be doing it with ease on the whole this year. The Fulham win put us In a  good mindset for the first derby of the season at Goodison a fortnight later.
      The game brought back memories of an 80s classic between the Merseyside rivals, we took the lead twice in the first 20 minutes through Coutinho and a brilliant Suarez free kick only to fall behind in the second half through a Lukaku double but our new found never say die attitude came to the fore again as Studge flicked header got us level again near the end to take a share of the spoils in an exciting 3-3 draw.
      Into December and the first month really packed with games, a busy 7 fixtures in 28 days would prove a test. We started the run with even in retrospect our poorest performance of the season, limply going down 3-1 at the KC stadium Hull. Falling behind after 20 minutes only for the skipper to drag us level with a free kick 7 minutes later.. Even after the poor first half I expected us to push on and win the game, but the second half we were poor, Hull were great on the day, we lost, again the test would be the following week and the ability to put that behind us. We didn’t have long to wait, a midweek fixture against Norwich at Anfield in which Luis Suarez continued his personal assult against the Norfolk outfit with what I can say with confidence is the best hat trick ive ever witnessed..

Liverpool V s Norwich 5 1 Suárez Super Hattrick Liverpool 5 1 Norwich 2013 Premier Ligue 4 12 2013

He grabbed 4 on the day, including one from 45 yards and a simply sublime half volley from the edge of the box.. Raheem Sterling grabbed the other as we bounced back from the Hull game in style.
      West Ham were next up, and we continued where we left off against Norwich with another sign of year on year progression for me, last season Fat Sam’s ‘ammers came and packed the defence and we struggled to break them down drawing 0-0 on the day, this season even though the tactics were the same, we eventually made a break through a few minutes before the half time break and went on to record a 4-1 win. Mamadou Sakho grabbed his first for the club and Luis Suarez’s fantastic form continued with another 2 late on.. But for me this was another marker in the sand for our progression.
      The run into Christmas threw up the trip to White Hart Lane, traditionally a tough place to visit for us, two wins at home following the defeat at the KC but now it was time to prove we could do it on the road as well.. What unfolded was a fantastic performance from Brendan’s tricky red’s and also the end for AVB at Spurs. A Suarez brace then strikes from Hendo Sterling and this beauty from Flanno

Tottenham-Liverpool (0-5) FLANAGAN GOAL . AMAZING

Brought about a 5-0 win which had me in dreamland, this is what football is all about. Back to Anfield again for the visit of Cardiff which the 3-1 victory saw us top the table at Christmas, yet another Suarez brace as he continued to re-write the record books and a Sterling strike won the game. Was it time to really start to believe we could challenge for the title? I mean we topped the table at Christmas, its not like its early September .. But to come from where we had last season? The next two games on Boxing day and New years day, away at big spenders Manchester City and Chelsea would really provide a test to see if we could challenge.
      City were up first at the Etihad, City of Manchester, Eastlands… Or whatever they called it this week.. We set off well again, Coutinho rounding the keeper to put us 1-0 up only for us to fall behind before half time , the second being a mistake from keeper Mignolet, however the disallowed Sterling strike, wrongly chalked off for offside which would have seen a 2-0 lead and a bigger mountain for City to climb was the major disappointment of the day.. But there were plenty of positives to take from the game as we went down to Chelsea for the first game of 2014. However another 2-1 defeat unfolded but again the score line didn’t tell the story of the game.. Yet again we started well, Martin Skrtel prodding us in front after 2 minutes, again for us to lose the lead and trail at half time.. However the scorer of what turned out to be the winner was surrounded by controversial events.. Samuel Eto’o who could have been sent off for an ugly looking challenge on Jordan Henderson before being on hand to score and then seemed to give away a certain foul in the box on Suarez in the second period again not spotted by the referee.
      Back to back defeats saw us drop back to 5th in the table, however the over riding feeling at the end of 2013 and the start of 2014 was one of positivity.. For the previous calendar year we had been superb and even with those two defeats I was full of optimism, I still didn’t think we could win the league but I genuinely thought at this point we would finish in the top 4.. I was in a great place and looking forward to the second half of the season and what the boys were going to serve up taking us through it.

A routine 2-0 victory over Hull got us back on track, Daniel Agger and yet another from the prolific Suarez sent aul fat head and the tigers back across the country and give us a welcome 3pts before the traditional early January start of the FA cup which saw us face last seasons conquers Oldham Athletic. Goals from Iago Aspas who grabbed his first for the club and a late own goal finally put the stubborn resistance from the League 1 side to bed, it was far from comfortable but a 4th round tie awaited us at Bournemouth before it was back to league action.
      What followed was the first of some crazy results in the second half of the season, as much as our attacking play was a joy to watch, we were starting to leave the back door open.. It to me at this point looking back that it felt like it was far more prominent in the second half of the season that we were leaking goals so I have just taken time out to see and it surprised me what ive just added up.
      In the first 19 games we scored 46 goals and conceded 23 and in the second 19 we scored 55 and conceded 27. So our goalscoring increased by 9 but we only conceded 4 more.
      It felt like far more than 4 more in the second half of the season, so as much as we scored more we didn’t really concede that many more.. We consistently leaked goals over the season, where to me it felt like we were more tight in that first half.
      Anyway, back to the game, we went to the Britannia stadium, another place we have struggled at since they have come up to the Premier League, somewhere I really haven’t enjoyed going.. What unfolded that day was mad, but it was something we would witness more over the coming few months. Luis Suarez gave the Stoke Cbs nightmares in that first 35 minutes that they are probably still suffering with as he forced an OG and added a second himself as it looked like we were cruising to a big 3 points.. However we switched off in the final 10 minutes of the half as ex reds Peter Crouch and Charlie Adam both scored to send Stoke in at the break with the momentum. Again in previous seasons we could have folded there but a consummate second half saw us run out 5-3 winners with goals from Gerrard (P) another from Suarez and a Sturridge strike on his return from injury.. 5-3… as I said crazy.
      A disappointing 2-2 draw at home to Anfield followed the barmy day at Stoke in a flat performance which saw us fall 2 down early on.. Goals either side of the break from Sturridge and Gerrard (p) still didn’t really wake us up as we couldn’t find the extra goal to turn the game on its head, in reality we never really looked like getting it.
      The last game in January was back in the FA cup with that 4th round tie at Bournemouth, another routine 2-0 win with goals from Moses and Sturridge saw us progress to the 5th round.
      The second Mersey derby of the season was next up, under floodlights at Anfield.. What served up was even better than the Spurs performance for me as we smashed them 4-0, Stevie with a bullet header in front of the blues fans set us on our way before a Sturridge double sent us in 3-0 at half time.. Suarez added a forth in the second half to give us the bragging rights at work the following day and send the blues back waddling across the park with their pants pulled down. Thanks redmen.

February started with us crashing back down to earth somewhat at the Hawthorns, leading 1-0 through Sturridge we seemed fairly comfortable and probing and testing to find a second when Kolo Toure’s pass across the back 4 looking for the captain was cut out by ex bitter Victor Anichebe who slammed it past Mignolet for the equilizer.. I felt for Kolo at this point, he got a lot of stick following the mistake but up until this point in the season I thought he had done fairly well in doing what seemed to be the impossible in replacing Carra. This is the way we play, it will lead to the odd error and Kolo was unfortunate to be the man to make the mistake, but we should take it out of context, it was a mistake, bourne by our system and style.. Forget it and move on.
      And how we did move on..
      Next up was the lunchtime game at home against Arsenal, 12:45 it kicked off, by 5 past 1 it was over.. Goals from Skrtel (2), Sterling and Sturridge put us 4-0 up inside 20 minutes in a performance not many people saw coming, the manner we ripped into them left them shot and really put down a marker that we were in this title race. Another in the second half from Sterling as we ran out 5-1 winners.. Not only was this my new favourite performance of the season but maybe in many a season, we were simply world class in that opening 20 minutes.
      After the high of Arsenal it was important that we kept the momentum up with a game in hand over Fulham at Craven Cottage who were struggling near the foot of the table having already gone through Martin Jol, Rene Mulenstein was under pressure as well as we came visiting. Kolo Toure who was having a tough few weeks put through his own net early on to give Fulham something to hold on to. Daniel Sturridge grabbed a leveller 4 minutes before half time to get us back on level terms , however we didn’t get going during the beginning of the second half and fell behind again through ex Manc Kieron Richardson.. Time to make the performance against Arsenal count, lets not make that performance be in vein.. We plugged away without really creating too much until Phillipe Coutinho levelled with a cracking strike from the edge of the box after 72 minutes and as the pressure was starting to show on the struggling cottages some great footwork from Studge drew a poor challenge and won a penalty which the skipper was never going to miss as we earnt a massive 3 points as the players really looked like they were starting to believe they were in the mix.
      Sunday the 16th February saw the FA cup 5th round tie down at Arsenal who were looking for revenge following their humiliation at Anfield the week before. They started really well and were two to the good shortly after half time but we grew into the game as we knew we had little to lose from this position.. Gerrard got one back from the spot and we should have had another as the referee was the only one not to spot a foul from Oxlade Chamberlain on Suarez.. As much as we pushed Arsenal held out and our FA cup run was over for another year.. Meaning the league was all we had to concentrate on now with 12 games to go in the season.

In the last game of the month we were to play Swansea at Anfield, it turned out to be a thriller that maybe we should never  have let it become as we edged a 7 goal thriller. Sturridge and Henderson gave us a two goal lead early on only for us to give that lead away within 7 minutes in the point of the game we should just have killed it off.. Jonjo Shelvey was at it again against his old club with a superb strike which had the Kop on its feet to applaud and a Skrtel OG.. Danny was dancing again after 36 to give us a half time lead only for Wilfred Bony to equilize from the spot a couple of minutes after the break. We really needed to find some control and stop the end to end feeling the game had,once we did we we eventually found what turned out to be the winner as Jordan Henderson tapped in his second of the game. Another good 3 points but at 2-0 we really need to start to kill these games and not give the feeling that sides can get a foothold back in games.. They should be comfortable victories rather than nailbiting afternoons.

We were into March, still in the conversation, March the month where the real title contenders step up and pull away and the rest fall away fast.. I really hope those Gunners tied their safety cords..

Up first in March was a tricky trip to Southampton who had not only beaten us at Anfield this season but had also beaten us in this fixture at around the same time of last year. Luis Suarez put us in front with a typical Suarez type finish where he seems to anticipate the defenders mistakes before they make them. The rest of the first half was a bit of a back to the wall experience, we had to dig in but got through to the break with Luis’s goal the advantage.. The growth again on show for me as again going back in recent seasons im not sure we win this game, but following stemming the Southampton attack in the first half we went on to add two further goals in the second period, Raheem Sterling and Stevie (p) added gloss to a fantastic result. March, the month where the challengers pull away had started well.
      Next after a two week break was the trip to the toilet in the league, Moyes –who for me was in for manager of the year at this point (f**king worst)- was turning fortress toilet into a knacked old out house. But still we knew they would raise our game for our visit, as it turns out they were gobs***e, we could even afford to miss a 3rd penalty of the afternoon as we ran out 3-0 winners, it says a lot to me about this season that we win 3-0 at Utd and it doesn’t get into my top 4 or 5 performances of the year.. Stevie scored twice from the spot on the day and Suarez added the 3rd but it was simply that easy im sure at one point in the second half I saw Pascoe rubbing sun cream into Brendan’s shoulders, Aspas ran to fetch him a spare towel and a cocktail and I even saw the 2 cb’s slip a pair of flip flops on each around the hour mark.
      Cardiff and there issues were next in the fixture list, ex manc Ole Gunnar Cuntchops in charge. We didn’t really start well and were in fact quite poor in the first period, we fell behind twice in that first half but that seemed to act as a wake up call as we stepped up a gear in the second to score 4 more in what was another mad score line of Cardiff City 3-6 Liverpool. Suarez with a hat trick, Skrtel with two and Danny dance with the other.. I remember watching the game then phone my mate straight after and just said ‘we’re f**king mad us’ and spent the evening smiling to myself, shaking my head and wondering what some of our previous defensive loving gaffers would make of us right now.. But I love it
      After Cardiff was another relegation threatened side in Sunderland, it turned out to be a game of 3 periods really, a first 35-40 minutes where we just probed, comfortably were in control but they came to sit and frustrate, then a period of around 25-30 minutes where we got the break through via a Stevie free kick just before half time and a Sturridge curler not long after the break.. Then the last 20 minutes where we sat deep and allowed them to come on to us, maybe seeing the situation we were getting to? Maybe just one of those things that happens in the game.. Substitute Ki got a goal for them with around 15 to go and then the last quarter was very difficult, even in the ground you had the feeling that an equilaizer could come at any time.. However we held out, even though O’Shea missed a guilt edged chance near the end, but this was another character building game which we had seen out.. Even though my nerves were feeling it.

Spurs now under Del boy jnr came next, a few days after the Sunderland test, however 2 mins in and a Kaboul OG we seemed more settled than we had all evening against the black cats, Suarez added a second after around 20 minutes and then 2 more in the second half from Coutinho and Henderson put the north landaners to the sword as was the media talk that the title run in was getting to us as we shrugged that stigma off with our new found ‘footballing arrogance’… 8 wins on the bounce now.. Are they going to believe us? Maybe I was but as our rivals were also showing great signs of consistency I was aware that maybe only one error would be our downfall.
      With the end in sight and April beginning our form took us to Upton park and a dogged West Ham who set up to make it difficult for us. 2 more Steven Gerrard penalties either side of a controversial Guy Demel equilizer where ex red Andy Carroll seemed to punch both the ball and Mignolet before it dropped to the West Ham defender to stab in. But again we fought it out, dug in and matched our often shown silky side with a hard fought win which has been effective through this run this season. 9 up, but the biggest test of the run in was around the corner.
      Man City came to Anfield in a traditional 6 pointer, another flying start welcomed them as Raheem and Skrtel put us two up.. It was really going to happen.. right? City came out with renewed vigour in the second half and to be fair played some of the best football for a spell that I had seen played against us all year, the spaces they found with intricate little spells of possession was fantastic. They drew level.. were they about to snatch the game from us? No, we found our feet and little Phil pounced on an error from City skipper Kompany as he sliced a clearance to the edge of the box only for Cou to smash the ball past Hart from 20 yards… 3-2 … Final whistle.. It was now in our hands.
      Jordan Hendersons late red card following a heavy tired touch In the middle of the park was a down point to the game, could we pay for that? Hendo had been superb all year and hadn’t missed a minute of league action all season.
      But hey its done now

We go to Norwich

We Go Again

Steven Gerrard leads Liverpool's Post-Match Huddle

Go again you say Skipper?
      Ok , we stormed into a 2 goal lead through Raheem and Suarez at Norwich only to have shades of Sunderland hit us again as they pull one back after the break.. Sterling then seemingly puts nerves to bed with his second of the game with a deflected effort following a jinking run from his own half. Norwich still aren’t done and our nerves tested again as Snodgrass gets another back with a header. Im sure I aged about 15 years during that final 10 minutes or so, I really felt drained after it and had to sit on my own for half an hour before I could come to terms with this. 3 from the dream
      Another test awaited next up In the form of Chelsea, coming to Anfield with their infuriating manager and their classless fans they came to sit deep and frustrate.. To be honest any deeper and they would have been jumping the queue for a hot dog under the Kop. I cant dwell on this too much as it still hurts, but they came to frustrate, they refused to come out, we probed and were in control, we all knew how important this was, I said to a few mates, we win this we win the league, as it turns out if we drew this we probably would have done. We conceded at the worst time, through the cruelest manner, a slip from the man who has done so much for us over the last decade.. The skipper slipped.. It was an unfortunate error, they wouldn’t have won the game had they not scored then im convinced.. They added a second through Willian late on as we were pushing for a leveller, it was our first defeat in 12, it was out of our hands again.
      Two games left as we came into May, City playing their games in hand and were ahead on goal difference but all we could do was win our games.
      Palace away, Monday night after the momentum sapping Chelsea defeat, for 75 minutes we were in control against a Palace side so improved under Tony Pulis, they had become very hard to beat and were going to set up similar to Chelsea, however, we were great for 75 minutes, we went 3-0 with goals from wee Joe, Sturridge and Suarez with 35 to play. What happened in that 9 minute spell im not sure we will see again, we seemed to literally run out of steam and legs on the pitch, we seemed drained and unable to stop what was happening, our small squad had caught up with us, a suspension here and the odd injury there and we were left with no real options to change games in key points.
      I was so spent with the title run that I can only imagine what those 14 or so main players must have felt like, I felt emotionally drained after games I often thing now how they must have been, and that 9 mins must have been so hard for them to be a part of.. What I do feel though and I did on the night is immense pride in those lads.
      We knew going into that final day against Newcastle that City had complete control, in the first half we looked like we had little left in our legs, we went a goal down with a Skrtel og and it looked in the first half we could end a wonderful season with a wimper. However the manager seemed to get them going at half time and we scored twice, almost identical goals from two Stevie free kicks and far post finishes from Agger and Sturidge.
      Win no.26 of the league season was recorded but not enough as we miss out on the title by 2 points to City.

So ….
      So close and all that
      Did I think this was possible last August? No I didn’t, id be lying if I said I did, I said I wanted us to finish +70pts for the year and that the top 4 was my aim. Well we finished 2nd with 84 so they exceeded my expectations. Am I pleased a week on? Yes I am, im ultimately gutted we missed out but I had come to terms with it post Chelsea as I hoped City would slip up after that but didn’t think they would deep down.. I was wishing and hoping but ultimately not expecting.
      But we finished 2nd, we have guaranteed CL football, we have proved we are back. I am genuinely excited by the future for the first time since 08 or so, I believe we have a young squad capable of growing together, we have a talented young coach who loves it here and will take us to great things, I believe we will have learnt so much from this experience that we will grow by it.. I believe that we have re-awoken from our slumber and we will be a fixture in these title challenges for years to come.
      I feel in one season a weight has been lifted from the clubs shoulders by the free spirit of this young group of players and its manager, that where I have been fighting our corner for a few years defending us I can now just smile with the knowledge that we will continue to prove everyone wrong, I really am proud of our season, the disappointment has already been replaced by hope and belief of whats to come.

Are they gonna believe us?

Too right………………………….

It started with the YNWA from our Aussie reds it only right we finish with one too.

Amazing - You'll Never Walk Alone (Pre-Liverpool vs Man City)

Last part really a few stats.
      In 2012/13 we finished 7th, we won 16, drew 13 lost 9 scored 71 conceded 43 with 61 points
      12 points off 4th
      This season we finished 2nd, we won 26, drew 6 lost 6 scored 101 conceded 50 with 84 points
      12 points clear of 4th
      We were trying to bridge a gap to 4th at 73pts, so we needed to make up essentially 18 pts this season however this year
      City finished +8 on 12/13
      Us +27
      Chelsea +7
      Arsenal +6
      Everton +9
      Spurs -3
      Utd -25
      Saints +15
      So mostly everyone improved, not just us, even Spurs with that massive loss of Bale only meant a 3 point loss on the previous year. If I was given that stat at the beginning of the year I would have thought it was a massive ask, not only to close the gap but smash it.
      The gaffer said last summer his aim was to add 20 goals to the side, he added 30, we only actually conceded  7 more this season and im sure his aim is to reduce that. I trust he will achieve that.
      This has been a successful season and one that not only should we be proud of but one we can ultimately use as a spring board for the future.

Thanks again for reading (if you stuck it out)
      « Last Edit: May 17, 2014 01:04:02 am by Paisleydalglish »
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #88: May 17, 2014 03:32:13 am
      First off a quick apology for the length of this (not the first time I have to say sorry for the length of things), but I like to go through a season after its finished , to try to re-live them, to try to arrange it in my mind and things ive forgotten, little bits I may remember differently to how they actually happened, look at a few of the key bits back, the goals I liked etc etc

I look forward to reading your post tomorrow, started to read it and it is well written, it's late now so I'll check it out when I'm less drowsy.
      Well done for putting that amount of effort in, it's really a great looking essay.
      +1
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #89: May 17, 2014 09:26:40 am
      Amazed at the quality of football we played after the first three games or so.
       Would have been happy with 5th if offered that at the start. (posted that I'd be pleased with 5th)
      Amazed that we qualified for C/L.
      Yet bitterly disappointed we lost the title to citeh after coming so close.
      All in all, a brilliant season, exceeding all expectations. Onwards to next season.   :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,506 posts | 3457 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #90: May 17, 2014 09:45:02 am
      Far beyond expectations, gutted that we didn't get there in the end but great football, great atmospheres, great buzz, hopefully silverware around the corner.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #91: May 17, 2014 12:19:28 pm
      it was better then we could have ever hoped for, we have become one of the sexiest teams in the world once again..
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6815 
      Reply #92: May 18, 2014 06:52:35 am
      Can't wait for the DVD review of the season.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #93: May 18, 2014 01:07:51 pm
      Can't wait for the DVD review of the season.

Me either, should be some cracking highlights in there from some cracking games.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6815 
      Reply #94: May 18, 2014 01:21:42 pm
      Me either, should be some cracking highlights in there from some cracking games.

Any idea when it will be out mate?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #95: May 18, 2014 05:06:00 pm
      In the history of Liverpool Football Club it doesn't rank as one of the greatest, in relation to those of the 21st Century it's probably been the best from a Premier League perspective.

Most thought we'd struggle to make the top four, we F***ing cruised past that. Realistically nobody thought we'd win it and yet we still took it to the final game of the season. We broke record after record after record. We did all this with a squad that really only had two substantial investments in during the whole season (Sakho and Mignolet). We did this with a very limited squad.

It was a good season that could, and hopefully will, be the platform for future great seasons to be built upon.

The club as a whole can be proud of their efforts but cannot allow themselves to rest on their laurels (or hardys) and have to go even further next year.
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #96: May 20, 2014 09:27:36 am
      . We broke record after record after record. We did all this with a squad that really only had two substantial investments in during the whole season (Sakho and Mignolet). We did this with a very limited squad.

It was a good season that could, and hopefully will, be the platform for future great seasons to be built upon.

The club as a whole can be proud of their efforts but cannot allow themselves to rest on their laurels (or hardys) and have to go even further next year.
      Agreed!To go a bit further ahead though (the topic is about last season), great seasons in the future can't be achieved with limited squad and practically only two investments. We have to go further than last season if really want to win trophies without having to break so many records cause records can't be broken every day!

"The club as a whole": correct if the owners are included whose turn is now to prove if building a strong competitive European side is in their intentions.
      « Last Edit: May 20, 2014 10:54:01 am by nikos »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,438 posts | 8656 
      Reply #97: May 20, 2014 11:42:07 am
      From January up towards the end of April it was F***ing brilliant, twatting Everton, Arsenal, Spurs at home, beating City, embarrassing the Mancs at OT.

The downside has been our defence and performances against Hull, Southampton, West Brom and dare I say it Chelsea plus the collapse at Palace.

The atmosphere at times has been superb as well, still remember laughing my head off rather than cheering as Sturridge placed the fourth past Arsenal's keeper!

Quick Reply