Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Fabio Borini (Sunderland/QPR)

Read 73503 times
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 703 posts | 34 
      Re: Fabio Borini (Sunderland)
      Reply #391: Jul 22, 2014 08:57:30 pm
      Rodgers thinks that Borini isn't LFC quality.  If he did, he wouldn't have sanctioned the sale.

To be honest Fed, Rodgers brought him to the club as he felt Borini was LFC quality, he wouldn't have if he didn't think he was. Since then he had a tough time breaking into our team behind Suarez and Sturridge so went on and had a successful loan spell at Sunderland.

So in effect, Borini has had that PL experience and is more than likely a better player for that experience. I think there are 2 points here.

1. £14M for a bit-part player in today's market is far too good to turn down. As much as Rodgers may feel he is Liverpool quality, he may feel as though £14M exceeds his market value and is happy to cash in given the impending Remy deal.

2. It may have been a case of "We've had an offer we feel is more than acceptable, we have accepted it, but if you're happy to stay and fight for your place then so be it, but no promises of a regular 1st team spot."

This is how I see it anyway. I don't think Borini is a player Rodgers was desperate to get rid of. I just think the situation that presented itself was too good to ignore.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #392: Jul 22, 2014 08:57:33 pm
      I agree, we wouldn't be buying Remy if we thought Borini could cope.

Of course then maybe Borini is in Aspas's position as the #4 striker, which is a little less demanding than #1,2,3
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #393: Jul 22, 2014 08:59:26 pm
      I reckon the fact that Borini has an option here shows that Rodgers wouldn't mind him in the squad and would make use of him. The fact that bid was accepted also shows that Rodgers reckons he could get a replacement of about the same quality (or slightly higher to compensate for the risk factor involved with every purchase) with that 14 mil.

If Rodgers does want him to leave, and doesn't see room for him on the team, I'd stake large amounts of money that he will go.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #394: Jul 22, 2014 09:02:00 pm
      If Rodgers does want him to leave, and doesn't see room for him on the team, I'd stake large amounts of money that he will go.

players have some power with the contracts they hold and he could hold out for something else.If he refuses to go to Sunderland he could force his way out to Juve on loan
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #395: Jul 22, 2014 09:05:51 pm
      Of course then maybe Borini is in Aspas's position as the #4 striker, which is a little less demanding than #1,2,3
      Sturridge, Remy, Lambert, Borini. It is possible... but why be 4th CF at Liverpool over 1st at another PL team. Borini won't be played as a winger with the current players we have.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #396: Jul 22, 2014 09:07:25 pm
      players have some power with the contracts they hold and he could hold out for something else.If he refuses to go to Sunderland he could force his way out to Juve on loan

I'm not buying into this Juve business juuuuust yet. His agent has already proven to be a canny one. Though it is true that the player is not powerless, if the club has accepted a bid, 99 times out of a 100, they can get the player to go, because the player knows that it won't be in their interest to resist. This has all the signs of a genuine choice.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #397: Jul 22, 2014 09:14:23 pm
      To be honest Fed, Rodgers brought him to the club as he felt Borini was LFC quality, he wouldn't have if he didn't think he was. Since then he had a tough time breaking into our team behind Suarez and Sturridge so went on and had a successful loan spell at Sunderland.

So in effect, Borini has had that PL experience and is more than likely a better player for that experience. I think there are 2 points here.

1. £14M for a bit-part player in today's market is far too good to turn down. As much as Rodgers may feel he is Liverpool quality, he may feel as though £14M exceeds his market value and is happy to cash in given the impending Remy deal.

2. It may have been a case of "We've had an offer we feel is more than acceptable, we have accepted it, but if you're happy to stay and fight for your place then so be it, but no promises of a regular 1st team spot."

This is how I see it anyway. I don't think Borini is a player Rodgers was desperate to get rid of. I just think the situation that presented itself was too good to ignore.

I agree with this and feel this is most likely how it happened. Also I would imagine that Borini wants to stay and fight for his place at the club because since 2011, he's been at six different clubs. I think that he wants to finally make his mark at a club and stay in one team and so he preferred to stay and fight for his place - which is admirable, but in reality judging by what we've seen of him he's going to have to do what was said earlier:

Shoot someone to get a game at Anfield. And not just anyone. To be precise: Sturridge, Lambert, and possibly Remy as well.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #398: Jul 22, 2014 09:27:49 pm
      Get rid please. Especially for £14mil.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #399: Jul 22, 2014 09:37:37 pm
      for 14 million we get better forward for that price, he try hes best not good enough for our club
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #400: Jul 22, 2014 09:37:42 pm
      Sturridge has his back to the wall, a pool of Remy's blood at his feet. Borini steps slowly over the latter's still warm corpse, advancing on the English striker, in his hands holding an AK-47.
      "Daniel" he says, in a tone reminiscent of Italian gangsters. "Do you know what my celebration means in Italy? To have the knife between one's teeth?"
      He raises his chosen instrument of death as a bead of sweat drips down Sturridge's face.
      "It means when you want something. Really want something. You want something so much, you are angry to achieve one's goals"
      His finger tightens on the trigger. A burst of noise. Then silence.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #401: Jul 22, 2014 09:39:23 pm
      for 14 million we get better forward for that price, he try hes best not good enough for our club

Get rid please. Especially for £14mil.

He doesn't want to go to Sunderland...do you guys even read before you post?

redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,129 posts | 127 
      Reply #402: Jul 22, 2014 09:44:34 pm
      I dunno . BR rates him, but we've seen very little of him to convince anyone that he has what it takes to be a LFC player. His desire is obviously there, but is there s place for him, apart from a squad player?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #403: Jul 22, 2014 09:45:47 pm

do you have a quote from him saying this? I cant find one.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #404: Jul 22, 2014 10:19:25 pm
      Personally, I would prefer it if he went, especially at that price.

Thing is though, if he stays because he wants to fight for his place here, then there's no way that you, me or even Brendan Rodgers can have any complaints. We offered him a contract and he signed it. We're quick enough to bemoan any player who does well but then wants to move on with all disregard for the contract that they agreed to, so wouldn't we be acting in the same way by trying to force him on his way because he hasn't done that well although he wants to stay on?
      Salavaria
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 381 posts | 41 
      Reply #405: Jul 22, 2014 10:23:58 pm
      Fair play to him if he wants to stay with LFC. He might realise he won't get too many games. But he might get enough to prove that he deserves to be here. My God, if I had the chance to play for Liverpool I would do anything I could to stick around. I wish him all the best.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #406: Jul 22, 2014 10:36:46 pm
      do you have a quote from him saying this? I cant find one.

I would assume Walton that Fabio would be having his photo taken in a Sunderland kit if he wanted to be there seeing how it was widely reported that the two clubs had come to terms.

That and the fact that Barrett and Pearce both said he wanted to stay and fight for his place at LFC.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #407: Jul 22, 2014 10:44:46 pm
      wanting to stay at Liverpool doesn't mean he doesn't want to go to Sunderland.. maybe that's his number two choice outside staying and right now he just has to get his head around the fact that he will be sold by Liverpool. or maybe he either wants to stay in Liverpool or go back to Italy, in which case he will beg us to ignore Sunderland for as long as possible. which will probably mean they'll move on.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,129 posts | 127 
      Reply #408: Jul 22, 2014 10:53:13 pm
      wanting to stay at Liverpool doesn't mean he doesn't want to go to Sunderland.. maybe that's his number two choice outside staying and right now he just has to get his head around the fact that he will be sold by Liverpool. or maybe he either wants to stay in Liverpool or go back to Italy, in which case he will beg us to ignore Sunderland for as long as possible. which will probably mean they'll move on.

Got to agree. Dont see us getting another offer like this for him
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #409: Jul 22, 2014 10:56:29 pm

He can't be that averse to playing for them considering he agreed to go there on loan for a season. I'm pretty sure if BR explained to him that he wasn't in his plans at all and would get virtually no game time (not that this necessarily had to be the case) then he'd agree to move.

Nothing against the lad and I wouldn't be overly upset with him staying, but I think £14 mil reinvested in the squad would be far more beneficial to the club than keeping Borini.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,347 posts | 6394 
      Reply #410: Jul 22, 2014 11:49:16 pm
      He can't be that averse to playing for them considering he agreed to go there on loan for a season. I'm pretty sure if BR explained to him that he wasn't in his plans at all and would get virtually no game time (not that this necessarily had to be the case) then he'd agree to move.

Nothing against the lad and I wouldn't be overly upset with him staying, but I think £14 mil reinvested in the squad would be far more beneficial to the club than keeping Borini.

I don't believe from what I read that this move was initiated by us. I could be way off on this but it seems to me that Sunderland really want him and made a good offer that we couldn't refuse. We didn't refuse and basically said we wouldn't stand in the way, Borini though didn't want to go there and wants to play for Liverpool and prove himself so Brendan isn't going to push him out because he had no plans to offload him anyway.

Like I said, that's mostly conjecture on my part, don't really have much to back it up other than just my gut feeling.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6743 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #411: Jul 23, 2014 12:35:14 am
      Come on Spuds you cu*ts, come in with a 14 million and 1 pound offer.  ;)

I have never been a big fan of Fabio but he did alright at Sunderland and he's impressed me with his stay and fight attitude, however as much potential as we might see that he may have in future, I still don't think he'd ever be considered as a 14 Million pound striker, so I hope we can cash in whilst the offers are still on the Table.
      jtrollip
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 192 posts |
      Reply #412: Jul 23, 2014 05:44:51 am

they have already seen that in Sterling, who is 4 years YOUNGER than Borini.

You've missed the point. It's about showing that you don't have to be close to the finished article at 19, like Sterling.

Some people take longer to reach their potential.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #413: Jul 23, 2014 06:44:58 am
      I wonder if he really wants to fight for a place here or just holding out for a better move

Quick Reply