Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Dejan Lovren (Southampton)

Read 66245 times
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Re: Dejan Lovren (Southampton)
      Reply #575: Jul 25, 2014 05:10:46 pm
      Not convinced by Lovren, but I hope he proves me wrong.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #576: Jul 25, 2014 05:37:49 pm
      this is proving to be a decisive moment in our recent history. We needed this sort of transfer window 20 years ago. Another good solid signing.
      JaySee
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Reply #577: Jul 25, 2014 05:39:46 pm
      Not 100% convinced by this signing... can't shake the memory of how bad he was when we stuffed Southampton at St Mary's last season but I know it's only one game.

Apparently Brendan sees this guy as an organiser and communicator... going to take a big personality to come in to a big club like ours and boss things at the back... especially when the likes of Agger,  Skrtel and Johnson have been here years.

Still, he was our number one defensive target and it looks like we've got him. Lets hope he's as good as Rodgers thinks.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #578: Jul 25, 2014 05:59:48 pm
      Brendan getting his men this summer it appears.

Turning into an excellent transfer window for us.
      I'd still hesitate to call a window where we lose the best player in the prem an 'excellent' one. But yes, it is encouraging to see us signing most of the targets Brendan wanted.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,739 posts | 158 
      Reply #579: Jul 25, 2014 06:33:13 pm
      Thank god I consider him a marquee signing one of the top 5 best defenders last year .
      Amazing signing our first signing that im 100% hyped for .
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #580: Jul 25, 2014 06:43:00 pm
      Thank god I consider him a marquee signing one of the top 5 best defenders last year .
      Amazing signing our first signing that im 100% hyped for .

Struggling to see how Lovren can be considered a 'marquee signing'.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #581: Jul 25, 2014 06:47:14 pm
      Think we could have done better but I'll get behind him now he looks like he's be ours very soon.

I wonder how much Howedes would have cost. RCB, which we need, but can operate anywhere along the backline as the World Cup proved. Schalke's captain, though, so that may have raised his price a bit.

That said, I do rate Lovren, mind.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #582: Jul 25, 2014 06:55:40 pm
      Struggling to see how Lovren can be considered a 'marquee signing'.

Personally I just can't stand the term 'marquee signing', If they turn out not to be suited to life in the prem do they get down graded to gazebo signing.

I'd simply prefer that we signed players and then give them time to prove themselves and then if they feel the need call them shrewd signings or whatever.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #583: Jul 25, 2014 07:04:43 pm
      Personally I just can't stand the term 'marquee signing', If they turn out not to be suited to life in the prem do they get down graded to gazebo signing.

I'd simply prefer that we signed players and then give them time to prove themselves and then if they feel the need call them shrewd signings or whatever.

Andy Carroll was a marquee signing if I remember right?  Young new breed, a new lion of English football; big and strong and only going to get better.

The term marquee and "big name" is really getting tedious.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #584: Jul 25, 2014 07:07:48 pm

You're not alone with that.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #585: Jul 25, 2014 07:12:39 pm
      Southampton certainly taking us to the cleaners with Lalallna and now Lovren, I hope he can prove me wrong and be a great addition to the spine of the team but I just don't see him any better than Skrtel/Sakho/Agger.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #586: Jul 25, 2014 07:25:52 pm
      Southampton certainly taking us to the cleaners with Lalallna and now Lovren, I hope he can prove me wrong and be a great addition to the spine of the team but I just don't see him any better than Skrtel/Sakho/Agger.

We've given them £50m this summer. Hopefully they can return the favour and give us an easy three points come August.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #587: Jul 25, 2014 07:34:53 pm
      Andy Carroll was a marquee signing if I remember right? 

More of a Beer Tent than a Marquee.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #588: Jul 25, 2014 08:02:30 pm
      Andy Carroll was a marquee signing if I remember right? 
      As were Suarez and Torres.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #589: Jul 25, 2014 08:03:00 pm
      Just had a quick gander on the Saints Web forum, some of the sh*t they come out with is laughable. They're calling Lallana and Lovren money grabbers. Aren't the Southampton board the 'money grabbers' in these transfers considering the fees they requested we paid for the two lads? It seems they'll be using the money to buy Forster and van Dijk.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #590: Jul 25, 2014 08:06:24 pm
      Just had a quick gander on the Saints Web forum, some of the sh*t they come out with is laughable. They're calling Lallana and Lovren money grabbers.
      F**k only knows what way they'll react if we do the logical thing and sign their scouts.  :o
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #591: Jul 25, 2014 08:12:21 pm
      Just seen a YouTube video on van Dijk, he looks so comfortable on the ball and his passing for a centre back is superb. I think his style of play is risky, it could put a Premier League team (Southampton if he joins them) in the sh*t on the counter attack.

P.S. apologies for going off topic.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,739 posts | 158 
      Reply #592: Jul 25, 2014 08:15:41 pm
      No need to argue Lovren is one of the best top 5 defender last year , with skrtel we will have the best duo defenders in the league after Chelsea Cahill , Terry .

So yes he's a marquee signing to me and a class defender , just look at man utd fans moaning already and slagging off their owners about not going for lovren especially when they need a cb more than us .

So yes our defence is class  best signing for us so far IMO , now we only need Moreno and we will have strong team in all areas
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #593: Jul 25, 2014 08:25:42 pm
      No need to argue Lovren is one of the best top 5 defender last year , with skrtel we will have the best duo defenders in the league after Chelsea Cahill , Terry .

So yes he's a marquee signing to me and a class defender , just look at man utd fans moaning already and slagging off their owners about not going for lovren especially when they need a cb more than us .

So yes our defence is class  best signing for us so far IMO , now we only need Moreno and we will have strong team in all areas

Sorry but I disagree. There were quite a few better defenders last season than Lovren last season. Granted, they didn't all play centre back but still. I disagree with your second statement too. City's defensive duo is also better than ours, they'll be adding Mangala to that list too. Our defence is far from class, before it can reach that level our full backs have to be class too and they're not.

It's a step in the right direction but let's not get too carried away just yet. I won't be entirely confident if our full back duos are Johnson & Manquillo, and Enrique & Flanagan. 
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #594: Jul 25, 2014 08:36:26 pm
      Hope the Gaf knows what hes doing on this one... I am yet to sign off on it, so he is out on his own. Ha

Just not sure hes much better than what we already have. Hes predominantly a LCB so Sakho wont start with him.... Hmmmm Thats mad
      Bier
      Reply #595: Jul 25, 2014 08:45:23 pm
      Hope the Gaf knows what hes doing on this one... I am yet to sign off on it, so he is out on his own. Ha

Just not sure hes much better than what we already have. Hes predominantly a LCB so Sakho wont start with him.... Hmmmm Thats mad

No, Lovren is right footed and mostly played as RCB for both Southampton and Lyon, so I'd expect him to end up next to Sakho.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,940 posts | 285 
      Reply #596: Jul 25, 2014 08:51:31 pm
      Good defender, was one of the best in the league last year. Starter for me next to Skrtel. Was one of the standout players last season, saying that so was Lallana. A lot more confident this 20mill has been better spent though if I'm honest.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #597: Jul 25, 2014 08:52:18 pm
      No, Lovren is right footed and mostly played as RCB for both Southampton and Lyon, so I'd expect him to end up next to Sakho.

Lovren has played predominately on the left side of the two centre backs for Southampton. Cannot say for sure about his Lyon days but I know for a fact he plays on the LCB position for Southampton.

Quick Reply