Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 4th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D4 L4

Adam Lallana (End of contract, BHA)

Read 226600 times
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Re: Adam Lallana Player Thread
      Reply #598: Apr 22, 2015 01:20:31 pm
      He's been unlucky what with a disjointed season through injuries. Have seen flashes of his skills which are impressive, plus he has the right attitude and work rate, but hopefully next season he'll be fit and we'll see the best of him. A bit slower than I thought he'd be, but once again that may be down to fitness.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,565 posts | 1799 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #599: Apr 30, 2015 01:25:58 pm
      Hardest working player in the squad according to stats, and since he got injured v the mancs we have been very very poor.

We have missed him & lucas in this rubbish run we are on.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,803 posts | 6753 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #600: Apr 30, 2015 02:06:10 pm
      Hardest working player in the squad according to stats, and since he got injured v the mancs we have been very very poor.

We have missed him & lucas in this rubbish run we are on.

I include Sakho in the list of players we have missed since that Manc game.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,565 posts | 1799 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #601: Apr 30, 2015 02:27:55 pm
      Agreed, but Lovren has been decent.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #602: Apr 30, 2015 06:38:52 pm
      Really rate adam.
      Think he is very much a Liverpool type player.
      Been such a stop start season for him but fully expect given a good preseason, a run of games, a better team around him and a bit of luck with avoiding injuries that he can be a very good player for us.
      Problem is that he falls into that category of players that we spent too much on and hence the price tag will always be a burden to him until the whole situation improves.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #603: May 01, 2015 01:34:31 pm
      i would like to see him start and finish every game from now till the end of the season so that coming into pre-season he's had a few more 90 minute games under his belt and he can hit the ground running. i think he will be the one to parnter henderson in the middle next season due to his experiance and goal creation but it will all depend on what system BR choses next season
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,051 posts | 342 
      Reply #604: May 11, 2015 08:32:55 pm
      I think, if he stays fit, Adam can be the key man if we're to have a decent season next time round. 
      I imagine him and Coutinho as dual playmakers with Raheem/Jordan Ibe on the wings interpassing and feeding a good central striker.  The balance, skill and turning ability he brings should offer us more against the bus parkers than Raheem's head-down runs on the edge of the 18 yard box.  Also, being two-footed means he'll spread it wide to either wing quicker.  We've lacked penetration this season despite the pace and trickery because we haven't got round the back of defences enough and turned FBs and CBs.  That's what Adam gives us at his best, and I saw it several times against Chelsea.  I rate him highly - he's a player we should re-build around, for me, alongside Coutinho. Shame he's had such a stop-start season.
      What does anyone else think?   
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,157 posts | 261 
      Reply #605: May 12, 2015 04:35:55 am
      I think, if he stays fit, Adam can be the key man if we're to have a decent season next time round. 
      I imagine him and Coutinho as dual playmakers with Raheem/Jordan Ibe on the wings interpassing and feeding a good central striker.  The balance, skill and turning ability he brings should offer us more against the bus parkers than Raheem's head-down runs on the edge of the 18 yard box.  Also, being two-footed means he'll spread it wide to either wing quicker.  We've lacked penetration this season despite the pace and trickery because we haven't got round the back of defences enough and turned FBs and CBs.  That's what Adam gives us at his best, and I saw it several times against Chelsea.  I rate him highly - he's a player we should re-build around, for me, alongside Coutinho. Shame he's had such a stop-start season.
      What does anyone else think?   

IMO it's good in attacking mate but if we still not improve at the back then we again force to play the defensive mind midfielder such as Allen or Can alongside Cou and Hendo then move Lallana out wide (if we play 4-3-3).

What I'd like to see is a 4-2-3-1 like this:

Can   Hendo

Raheem     Coutinho     Lallana

Striker     

And, welcome to the forum mate :D

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #606: May 12, 2015 09:05:56 am
      Bizarre decision to take this lad off on Sunday.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #607: May 12, 2015 10:58:30 pm
      I personally think he's been bitterly disappointing this season. Often looks like a youngster playing amongst men in the flimsy way he goes about his business. Undoubtedly an extremely talented footballer, but needs to step up what he's currently offering by 200% to be considered a top player. Given the type of player he is or aspires to be, he ought to score goals or cause goals to be scored on a regular basis. His points of reference ought to be David Silva, Oscar, Christian Erikkson, players of that ilk. He's a mile off that at the moment IMHO.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #608: May 12, 2015 11:11:58 pm
      I personally think he's been bitterly disappointing this season. Often looks like a youngster playing amongst men in the flimsy way he goes about his business. Undoubtedly an extremely talented footballer, but needs to step up what he's currently offering by 200% to be considered a top player. Given the type of player he is or aspires to be, he ought to score goals or cause goals to be scored on a regular basis. His points of reference ought to be David Silva, Oscar, Christian Erikkson, players of that ilk. He's a mile off that at the moment IMHO.

Agree.

I think he's a luxury we can't afford in a 4-3-3, I don't think he offers nearly enough going forward or backward and would happily see him sold or dropped to squad status. I get the feeling though that Brendan absolutely loves him because after all technically he's superb.

If he had a yard or two more pace he'd be a threat but all the distance in the world doesn't make a difference if you're chasing shadows or not actually putting the challenges in.

I think the players you list are Coutinho's competitors, Lallana is a long way short of that company.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,354 posts | 6394 
      Reply #609: May 12, 2015 11:15:10 pm
      Agree.

I think he's a luxury we can't afford in a 4-3-3, I don't think he offers nearly enough going forward or backward and would happily see him sold or dropped to squad status. I get the feeling though that Brendan absolutely loves him because after all technically he's superb.

If he had a yard or two more pace he'd be a threat but all the distance in the world doesn't make a difference if you're chasing shadows or not actually putting the challenges in.

I think the players you list are Coutinho's competitors, Lallana is a long way short of that company.

I suppose it's Brendan's fault for not getting the best out of him. Similar to Lambert Balotelli and Borini.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #610: May 12, 2015 11:20:01 pm
      I suppose it's Brendan's fault for not getting the best out of him. Similar to Lambert Balotelli and Borini.

Maybe it is FL, as I've said plenty of times I never watched him too much at Southampton so you tell me how he played there.

My opinion is based on what I've watched for us.

As for the strikers my opinion is based on the facts I presented, feel free to counter them or offer a response to the question I posed to you in Brendan's thread rather than being so defensive.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #611: May 12, 2015 11:40:00 pm
      Think the criticism of Lallana is a bit harsh lads. Out of our overall poor Summer transfers I think he comes out as the second best after Can even if the bar is low. I think if he stays fit he can he a very valuable player for us next season he just needs players with more pace and better movement playing around him as he has the technical ability to create chances in limited space.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #612: May 13, 2015 12:07:34 am
      Maybe it is FL, as I've said plenty of times I never watched him too much at Southampton so you tell me how he played there.

I do think Rodgers has got it wrong with Lallana too. He's not your Coutinho #10 (ball player) or Sterling (ball carrier), he's a different sort of player that has wonderful movement & trickery, so surely you want him in and around the box, playing as an inside forward or off the #9? He's a player that doesn't need the ball to do damage. Too many times have we seen him drop too deep or shafted out wide.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,354 posts | 6394 
      Reply #613: May 13, 2015 12:25:00 am

My opinion is based on what I've watched for us.

As for the strikers my opinion is based on the facts I presented, feel free to counter them or offer a response to the question I posed to you in Brendan's thread rather than being so defensive.

He was class at Soton, that's why I was excited when we got him. He's a much better player than what people are judging him on at LFC so far, even though he's been much better than some people make him out to be.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #614: May 13, 2015 12:44:55 am
      He was class at Soton, that's why I was excited when we got him. He's a much better player than what people are judging him on at LFC so far, even though he's been much better than some people make him out to be.

Well maybe there's hope for him yet but as I said, from my perspective he's a couple of yards of pace of ever being able to be a top player. Unless he's still unfit/lacking that pace due to lacking match fitness that isn't going to change and I'd rather we tried to upgrade than persist with a player that spins like a top rarely making progress.

Yes he can look excellent in moments, yes against slower players he would look outstanding but for what we need to crack the top 4 I think he's a level or two below.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,354 posts | 6394 
      Reply #615: May 13, 2015 01:59:30 am
      Well maybe there's hope for him yet but as I said, from my perspective he's a couple of yards of pace of ever being able to be a top player. Unless he's still unfit/lacking that pace due to lacking match fitness that isn't going to change and I'd rather we tried to upgrade than persist with a player that spins like a top rarely making progress.

Yes he can look excellent in moments, yes against slower players he would look outstanding but for what we need to crack the top 4 I think he's a level or two below.

His game has nothing to do with pace...not sure why you seem to only value pace in players. But as you said....you didn't see much of him last year, only his injury riddled year this year, which he's readily admitted has not been his best outing.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #616: May 13, 2015 02:14:43 am
      His game has nothing to do with pace...not sure why you seem to only value pace in players. But as you said....you didn't see much of him last year, only his injury riddled year this year, which he's readily admitted has not been his best outing.

I don't only value pace, but the lack of pace is what stops him from beating his man and being effective. Suarez doesn't have incredible pace but I rate him as the best player I've ever seen at the club due to the combination of enough pace and that incredible technical ability that he could beat someone and capitalise on the opportunities he created for himself or use those opportunities for the benefit of others.

Lallana tends to turn, take one step and the man is with him, very often you will see him turn 3 or 4 times with the ball, especially when out wide, and go absolutely nowhere because despite having the technical ability to perform the skill without losing the ball he doesn't have the pace to capitalise on it. So it is not about only pace, but enough pace.

In terms of raw pace Lallana is very slow in terms of an attacker, but to be an extremely good player he would only need to be a little bit quicker unfortunately at 27 years of age he isn't getting faster by nature so if we've seen him at his top speeds, which despite your suggestions he's been ravaged through injuries he's still played in 31 games (7 as sub) so I'm guessing we've seen all the pace we're going to see, then I believe he's too slow to play his position at the top levels.

If we're getting into the nitty gritty I also don't believe he is clinical enough in front of goal, neither is he a strong enough physical presence to take advantage of the excellent distances he covers. Like I said though I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong.

I will say that when you play Lallana it appears that you need to always save a substitution for him too, he very rarely manages to finish a match and that is also a negative.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,354 posts | 6394 
      Reply #617: May 13, 2015 02:27:09 am
      I don't only value pace, but the lack of pace is what stops him from beating his man and being effective. Suarez doesn't have incredible pace but I rate him as the best player I've ever seen at the club due to the combination of enough pace and that incredible technical ability that he could beat someone and capitalise on the opportunities he created for himself or use those opportunities for the benefit of others.

Lallana tends to turn, take one step and the man is with him, very often you will see him turn 3 or 4 times with the ball, especially when out wide, and go absolutely nowhere because despite having the technical ability to perform the skill without losing the ball he doesn't have the pace to capitalise on it. So it is not about only pace, but enough pace.

In terms of raw pace Lallana is very slow in terms of an attacker, but to be an extremely good player he would only need to be a little bit quicker unfortunately at 27 years of age he isn't getting faster by nature so if we've seen him at his top speeds, which despite your suggestions he's been ravaged through injuries he's still played in 31 games (7 as sub) so I'm guessing we've seen all the pace we're going to see, then I believe he's too slow to play his position at the top levels.

If we're getting into the nitty gritty I also don't believe he is clinical enough in front of goal, neither is he a strong enough physical presence to take advantage of the excellent distances he covers. Like I said though I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong.

I will say that when you play Lallana it appears that you need to always save a substitution for him too, he very rarely manages to finish a match and that is also a negative.

Well obviously it's not the player's decision to be subbed and I've not once seen him asked to be taken off (you being the body language expert maybe you've been able to note this?); however, if he is getting taken off it's likely because he covers more distance typically than anyone else on the pitch. Believe I saw it quoted on this very forum that he covered more distance for Soton than any of their other players in typically less time.

The speed thing is over valued. Lallana doesn't need to be a speed merchant. That's not his game and doesn't need to be. He's great with the ball at his feet and always has an eye for a pass. He works well when paired with Coutinho and while he could afford to be a little more clinical, there's not a player on our team that statement wouldn't apply to, so to pick him out for judgement alone only supports the fact that you seem to have a hard-on for criticizing him over others.

Lad's not been fully fit all season and still has more technical ability than probably anyone save for Coutinho. If you can't see that then you are blinded by your own distaste for the player. I'm done on this subject because you obviosly have an agenda that you won't back off of. I'll freely admit that I'm a fan of Lallana but I've actually watched him before this year so I feel like I've got a little bit of room to have developed that preference. You on the other hand judge him on one injury plagued season after freely admitting you'd not seen much of him prior.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #618: May 13, 2015 02:37:34 am
      Well obviously it's not the player's decision to be subbed and I've not once seen him asked to be taken off (you being the body language expert maybe you've been able to note this?); however, if he is getting taken off it's likely because he covers more distance typically than anyone else on the pitch. Believe I saw it quoted on this very forum that he covered more distance for Soton than any of their other players in typically less time.

Doesn't change the fact he needs to be subbed very often (almost always in fact) limiting the manager's by selecting him the first place.

The speed thing is over valued. Lallana doesn't need to be a speed merchant. That's not his game and doesn't need to be. He's great with the ball at his feet and always has an eye for a pass. He works well when paired with Coutinho and while he could afford to be a little more clinical, there's not a player on our team that statement wouldn't apply to, so to pick him out for judgement alone only supports the fact that you seem to have a hard-on for criticizing him over others.

You're completely avoiding the point by somehow taking everything I've explained and thinking I want him to be like Sterling, it's a simple point that shouldn't need any further explanation you're just being obtuse.

Lad's not been fully fit all season and still has more technical ability than probably anyone save for Coutinho. If you can't see that then you are blinded by your own distaste for the player.

What a pathetic statement, did you read anything I said, I credit Lallana with having outstanding technical ability as stated in every discussion I have about him.

I'm done on this subject because you obviosly have an agenda that you won't back off of. I'll freely admit that I'm a fan of Lallana but I've actually watched him before this year so I feel like I've got a little bit of room to have developed that preference. You on the other hand judge him on one injury plagued season after freely admitting you'd not seen much of him prior.

No agenda, simply don't think he's good enough but use the word agenda if it makes you feel you're right without substance or offering anything other than "he's been injured" as a very tiresome excuse after so many games played for us.

ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #619: May 13, 2015 01:05:39 pm
      hes a top player that i think will have a huge impact next season if he gets injuries behind him. i dont think he was valued correctly but that' the price you pay for buying in the prem.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #620: May 15, 2015 10:44:33 am
      Massive flop, and was doubtful about this signing from the start.

Quick Reply