Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 20th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

Dejan Lovren (Liverpool > Zenit St Petersburg)

Read 312700 times
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Re: Dejan Lovren Player Thread
      Reply #713: Jun 12, 2015 02:12:24 pm
      Just cheer for the motherfucker and I promise I'll love Lazar back for you (even though I'm actually quite a fan of his already, really hope he develops nicely for us because he's got a lot of raw talent).
      We are going waaaay of topic mate,say it like this...Im not gonna mention lovren in negative context any more and that is it.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #714: Jun 12, 2015 02:16:59 pm
      We are going waaaay of topic mate,say it like this...Im not gonna mention lovren in negative context any more and that is it.

True, true.  About Lovren though, wouldn't be bothered in the slightest if he left, would be more disappointed about the wasted money and missed opportunities that could have gone to someone else.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #715: Jun 12, 2015 08:27:48 pm
      I believe that we should loan Lovren out to a Italian or Germany club hopefully he will learn to defend
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #716: Jun 12, 2015 09:12:51 pm
      I believe that we should loan Lovren out to a Italian or Germany club hopefully he will learn to defend

We're not in a position where we can afford to loan him. If we want him to learn how to defend then we need to bring in somebody who can teach defending rather than sending him abroad.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #717: Jun 13, 2015 09:47:57 am
      We're not in a position where we can afford to loan him. If we want him to learn how to defend then we need to bring in somebody who can teach defending rather than sending him abroad.
      Does that not also cost money to bring someone in???....It is the cost that you refer to is it not?... Loaning him out is by far the cheaper option...
      If that is not what you mean, and you are saying to keep him in case we need him, Then I would argue that He is more of a liability at present and would much rather see Sebastián Coates on the team sheet than Dejan Lovren
      « Last Edit: Jun 13, 2015 04:43:24 pm by The Real Donavan Ried, Reason: mistake »
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #718: Jun 13, 2015 05:34:02 pm
      Does that not also cost money to bring someone in???....It is the cost that you refer to is it not?... Loaning him out is by far the cheaper option...
      If that is not what you mean, and you are saying to keep him in case we need him, Then I would argue that He is more of a liability at present and would much rather see Sebastián Coates on the team sheet than Dejan Lovren

We're not Chelsea, we can't spend £20m on players and then loan them out. Who then takes their place in the squad? Bringing in a coach that could help the entire defence and team is far better than loaning out somebody in the hope that they may come good. There's also no guarantee that if they perform well on loan that they'd come back and perform well for us.

Why would you rather see Coates? You've no doubt seen less of him this season than you have of Lovren so what makes you think he's all that better? It says a lot about Coates when he couldn't get into a Sunderland side that was struggling to stay in the division. He's a pre-season player, performs well but then goes to sh*t in the regular season.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,831 posts | 2459 
      Reply #719: Jun 13, 2015 05:40:30 pm

Why would you rather see Coates? You've no doubt seen less of him this season than you have of Lovren so what makes you think he's all that better? It says a lot about Coates when he couldn't get into a Sunderland side that was struggling to stay in the division. He's a pre-season player, performs well but then goes to sh*t in the regular season.

Mate Coates is one of the main reasons Sunderland stayed up this season he was brilliant for them in the run in.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #720: Jun 13, 2015 05:56:49 pm
       Coates? The Uruguayan bloke?

:D

:lmao:
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #721: Jun 13, 2015 06:17:39 pm
      Mate Coates is one of the main reasons Sunderland stayed up this season he was brilliant for them in the run in.

I'm not going to argue that he was good for a few games but those good few games doesn't mean he's automatically good enough to get into the Liverpool team. If by default he is good enough then the club needs to get a grip in the centre back area. 
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #722: Jun 13, 2015 08:04:51 pm
      Not about that mate,its about that every tackle he made had intention to hurt,to kill our player.
      That is something i do not appreciate.
      Ye need to bring on Slobodan Milosevic for those type of games then .

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #723: Jun 13, 2015 08:15:02 pm
      We're not Chelsea, we can't spend £20m on players and then loan them out. Who then takes their place in the squad? Bringing in a coach that could help the entire defence and team is far better than loaning out somebody in the hope that they may come good. There's also no guarantee that if they perform well on loan that they'd come back and perform well for us.
      Fair points...It is just that £20m on a guy that defends no better than Emre Cann, (that's not to say Cann is a bad defender) But for £20m you least expect him to communicate well with other defenders and know when not to dive in

Its just that I deem that Coates is less of a liability than Lovren, but you have a point about Coates. I stand corrected
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #724: Jun 13, 2015 09:15:28 pm
      Fair points...It is just that £20m on a guy that defends no better than Emre Cann, (that's not to say Cann is a bad defender) But for £20m you least expect him to communicate well with other defenders and know when not to dive in

I agree that's what we should expect, I just think it'd be good to see what our 20m man could become with some decent defensive coaching rather than go out on loan. If we're prepared to sell then that's another story.
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #725: Jun 14, 2015 01:57:41 pm
      i too wouldn't mind seeing coates ahead of this guy in the 11 next season....he's not good enough but he'll have to do if we can't bring anyone else in

the only problem i have with him is his sluggishness and whether he's good enough with the ball at his feet (especially under pressure)
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #726: Jun 17, 2015 12:32:46 pm
      can we not offer him as part of the clyne deal maybe a swap
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,595 posts | 1813 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #727: Jun 17, 2015 12:34:50 pm
      Lovren has to be given at least 1 more season.

As discussed in many other threads, all new players should be given 1 season to settle into thier new club.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #728: Jun 21, 2015 12:07:31 am
      Congrats on the wedding day Dejan.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #729: Jun 21, 2015 02:59:00 pm
      Lovren has to be given at least 1 more season.

As discussed in many other threads, all new players should be given 1 season to settle into thier new club.

When you're a quality player, you don't need time to settle. The examples are countless.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #730: Jun 21, 2015 03:14:19 pm
      When you're a quality player, you don't need time to settle. The examples are countless.

As are the examples of players who DID need one year to settle.
      RedJock
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | 40 
      Reply #731: Jun 21, 2015 04:18:00 pm
      There is also countless examples of players who did take time to settle

There is no set time limit on when a player settles at a club
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #732: Jun 21, 2015 04:18:51 pm

Falcao, di maria, Ozil, Suarez

From research done by Tompkins with the help of various football statisticians, only 26% of big money signings can be said to have made an impact in their first season in English football.

Of course I expect this very thorough research to be challenged by someone who merely says "I don't believe it" instead of producing any counter statistics, but if no stats and research are shown, I'll just ignore those posts ;)
      Guruji
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts | 55 
      Reply #733: Jun 21, 2015 04:47:14 pm
      From research done by Tompkins with the help of various football statisticians, only 26% of big money signings can be said to have made an impact in their first season in English football.

Doesn't really apply to Lovren though, he already had a season in England before he even came here.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #734: Jun 21, 2015 05:44:23 pm
      Keep on improving Dejan, we'll need you to.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #735: Jun 21, 2015 05:47:42 pm
      Falcao, di maria, Ozil, Suarez

Of course I expect this very thorough research to be challenged by someone who merely says "I don't believe it" instead of producing any counter statistics, but if no stats and research are shown, I'll just ignore those posts ;)

All the players you mention are coming from different leagues though, whereas Lovren requiring time to adapt to a new club who is competing at almost exactly the same level as you were the previous season is a hard excuse to swallow. Even more compounded by the fact that not only did our defence look just as bad as it ever has but Southampton's actually improved.

Lovren could well improve beyond all recognition, stranger things have happened but right now, given that he's been in this league before, he's played at the level we're currently at before and he's also going to be 26 at the start of the next campaign then I believe we'll see exactly the same player. For that reason I hope we either keep Ilori or sign someone else because Skrtel and Sakho are our only reliable CBs and they can both be improved upon, knocking one of these down to the subs bench would be a step forward, persisting with Lovren in the hope he improves is too much of a gamble for me.

Quick Reply