Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Dejan Lovren (Liverpool > Zenit St Petersburg)

Read 309197 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Dejan Lovren Player Thread
      Reply #736: Jun 21, 2015 06:04:27 pm
      Keep on improving Dejan, we'll need you to.

As I've said a couple of times before on Lovren, he needs to improve a fair bit to fulfil his obvious potential. that said, his performances were absolutely nowhere near so bad as it was often made out on here. Very often an otherwise impressive performance with one mistake was shouted down as being a disaster, when in actual fact what we were seeing was a player who was/is devoid of confidence.

Of course we can't wait forever for any player, and Lovrens performances last season taken as a whole weren't good enough. Of course we can't wait forever for any player, and Lovrens performances last season taken as a whole weren't good enough. That's not a mis-type that I wrote that twice, it's just a little method I use sometimes when I know people won't actually read that bit. The other thing with Lovren is that unlike some of the players mentioned earlier he hasn't actually come from another league, he was already playing in the Premiership BEFORE we signed him.

Lovren needs to improve, but like all of our centre backs he was playing in a dysfunctional team for much of last season. For the 2-3 months we were playing well, like the rest of the defence he began to play well also and we set a record for the number of clean sheets consecutively which will no doubt stand for many a year. At his best he is a fine centre back, it's just unfortunate for him that he has become a bit of a symbol for the Brendan Bashers. Hopefully he can find the mental strength next season to make the necessary improvement, it's nowhere near as big an improvement needed as some would have you believe, but it is improvement nonetheless.

One last thing on luck. He is unlucky that he has become a symbol of Brendans management as far as the bashers are concerned, but lucky in that he didn't play in the first half against Stoke when we ended up 5-0 down at half time. If he had, the goals would obviously have all been down to him. To be totally honest I'm a little surprised he never got the blame regardless.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #737: Jun 21, 2015 06:12:24 pm
      As I've said a couple of times before on Lovren, he needs to improve a fair bit to fulfil his obvious potential. that said, his performances were absolutely nowhere near so bad as it was often made out on here. Very often an otherwise impressive performance with one mistake was shouted down as being a disaster, when in actual fact what we were seeing was a player who was/is devoid of confidence.

Of course we can't wait forever for any player, and Lovrens performances last season taken as a whole weren't good enough. Of course we can't wait forever for any player, and Lovrens performances last season taken as a whole weren't good enough. That's not a mis-type that I wrote that twice, it's just a little method I use sometimes when I know people won't actually read that bit. The other thing with Lovren is that unlike some of the players mentioned earlier he hasn't actually come from another league, he was already playing in the Premiership BEFORE we signed him.

Lovren needs to improve, but like all of our centre backs he was playing in a dysfunctional team for much of last season. For the 2-3 months we were playing well, like the rest of the defence he began to play well also and we set a record for the number of clean sheets consecutively which will no doubt stand for many a year. At his best he is a fine centre back, it's just unfortunate for him that he has become a bit of a symbol for the Brendan Bashers. Hopefully he can find the mental strength next season to make the necessary improvement, it's nowhere near as big an improvement needed as some would have you believe, but it is improvement nonetheless.

One last thing on luck. He is unlucky that he has become a symbol of Brendans management as far as the bashers are concerned, but lucky in that he didn't play in the first half against Stoke when we ended up 5-0 down at half time. If he had, the goals would obviously have all been down to him. To be totally honest I'm a little surprised he never got the blame regardless.

I agree - Lovren certainly wasn't as atrocious as he was made out to be but he has got A LOT to do before he starts showing his worth. As far as I'm concerned during the first half of the season the main culprit in defence was Skrtle who's reputation as a Rafa signing and that wholly undeserved 'buying a Big Mac in Burger King' reputation goes before his much less prouder performances on the field sadly. In fact as a veteran, experienced member of the squad I found his lack of performance and leadership insulting to be honest. That said, he was very very good in the second half of the season but I think that has a lot to do with how Sakho instilled brute force in a back three for the majority of the second half of the season. Notice he wasn't (and never has been) the catalyst for good defensive performances, as I'm sure Carragher and Agger can testify themselves in years gone by.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #738: Jun 21, 2015 06:28:36 pm

Yeah Lovren was amazing in those 6 away games given the fact he only started one and came on as a sub in just one more... seriously could your bias for this guy go any deeper?

He needs to improve because he was statistically the worst defender in the entire league last year, not because he made the odd mistake here or there mixed in between impressive performances, that's just utter bullshit.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #739: Jun 21, 2015 06:34:45 pm
      Guys, read the article and accompanying research again.

It applies to ALL bit money transfers, not just players from foreign clubs.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #740: Jun 21, 2015 08:10:02 pm
      Guys, read the article and accompanying research again.

It applies to ALL bit money transfers, not just players from foreign clubs.

Fair enough I wasn't actually going by the article, just by my own experience that lots of players take time to settle. I tend not to go too much on stats as they are very difficult to properly set like for like. For example I saw a stat last season much referred to on here which said Lovren made more mistakes which led to goals than any other defender. It's an interesting one, but then by never getting involved in the play or impacting upon it as a defender you'd avoid getting onto the list. I remember him making an awful blunder against I think it was man City where he got his feet caught up and fell over it which led to a goal, but then equally he got done like a kipper in the box by Aguerro but the striker put the ball wide so that wouldn't make a list.

No, I don't go a bundle on stats and the like even when I agree with them. 26% of big money signings playing to their best in the first season sounds about right though, although I must confess I'm a bit surprised that applies regardless of where a player has come from. Certainly with our money signings last season I'd expect them all to improve (it wouldn't be that hard to be honest) and if and when they do we can all make a more considered judgement.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #741: Jun 22, 2015 12:07:21 pm
      Fair enough I wasn't actually going by the article, just by my own experience that lots of players take time to settle. I tend not to go too much on stats as they are very difficult to properly set like for like. For example I saw a stat last season much referred to on here which said Lovren made more mistakes which led to goals than any other defender. It's an interesting one, but then by never getting involved in the play or impacting upon it as a defender you'd avoid getting onto the list. I remember him making an awful blunder against I think it was man City where he got his feet caught up and fell over it which led to a goal, but then equally he got done like a kipper in the box by Aguerro but the striker put the ball wide so that wouldn't make a list.

No, I don't go a bundle on stats and the like even when I agree with them. 26% of big money signings playing to their best in the first season sounds about right though, although I must confess I'm a bit surprised that applies regardless of where a player has come from. Certainly with our money signings last season I'd expect them all to improve (it wouldn't be that hard to be honest) and if and when they do we can all make a more considered judgement.

I agree to an extent about stats, and I'm usually quite cautious about using them, but the article I refer to is actual, proper statistical analysis using a wide range of criteria.
      I'd probably be inclined to read it, look at the methodology and the conclusions before dismissing it as "just stats".
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #742: Jun 22, 2015 05:53:23 pm
      As discussed in many other threads, all new players should be given 1 season to settle into thier new club.

Not when they cost as much as he did. He isn't a youngster, he wasn't new to the league and he cost £20million so there can be no excuse for his piss poor season and shouldn't need a season to adjust. If he needs a season to adjust then I seriously question his mental strength to hack it when it matters.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,280 posts | 4938 
      Reply #743: Jun 22, 2015 05:56:54 pm
      Not when they cost as much as he did. He isn't a youngster, he wasn't new to the league and he cost £20million so there can be no excuse for his piss poor season and shouldn't need a season to adjust. If he needs a season to adjust then I seriously question his mental strength to hack it when it matters.

You might be right that his circumstances suggest he 'shouldn't' need a season to adjust but that doesn't mean that he still didn't need it.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #744: Jun 22, 2015 07:04:29 pm

Or perhaps he just wasn't as good as the media suggested him to be? We all know how they overrate players, but honestly, was there anyone here who had been watching Southampton full matches week in, week out in 13/14 season, or was it simply best MOTD Lovren moments?
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #745: Jun 23, 2015 07:03:15 am
      Why we don't try to sell him ? I think we can get around 12 mil on him, recoup some of the money wasted on him and spend them on a decent defender.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #746: Jun 23, 2015 08:19:45 am
      Why we don't try to sell him ? I think we can get around 12 mil on him, recoup some of the money wasted on him and spend them on a decent defender.

And then next season do the same thing with who ever we bring in.

Here's something radical why don't we improve the defensive system of the team. Can't be that difficult according to Rodgers   ;)

ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #747: Jun 23, 2015 09:33:15 am
      lets hope BR sticks to a flat back 4 as we dont have the quality to be able to constantly play a back 3. switch it from time to time but a flat back 4 give everyone a job before each game, none of this zonal BS two wingbacks pick up the posts two CB mark their target men and the rest man mark. Then just attack the ball to oftern we are caught ball watching because we've tried to be fancy
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #748: Jun 23, 2015 09:38:26 am

If he was anywhere near the level some of you lot reckon he is, we wouldn't get 12 quid for him never mind 12 million. When it is so obvious that a player is taking time to settle, to show his best form consistently BUT that there is a fine player in there, the sensible thing to do is not to sell him while he's struggling.

Some of the posters on this forum have a fixation with Lovren which is wholly unhealthy. It really is very odd. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,280 posts | 4938 
      Reply #749: Jun 23, 2015 12:44:09 pm
      If he was anywhere near the level some of you lot reckon he is, we wouldn't get 12 quid for him never mind 12 million. When it is so obvious that a player is taking time to settle, to show his best form consistently BUT that there is a fine player in there, the sensible thing to do is not to sell him while he's struggling.

Some of the posters on this forum have a fixation with Lovren which is wholly unhealthy. It really is very odd. 

It is weird Mick.

'Lovren is sh*t' yet let's sell him for £12M.

I've always wanted as little disruption at the back as possible this summer with the majority of funds going where it's really needed so I'm happy to see how he goes next season.

I have a feeling, just a gut feeling, that he may well even start the season beside Sakho.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,560 posts | 1793 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #750: Jun 23, 2015 12:47:38 pm
      Still think Lovren will come good, he has has his 1 season to settle.

Sackho looked better last season after his 1 season to settle.

Also the fact Mings has gotten better will help all of the centre backs.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #751: Jun 23, 2015 12:53:47 pm
      It is weird Mick.

'Lovren is sh*t' yet let's sell him for £12M.

I've always wanted as little disruption at the back as possible this summer with the majority of funds going where it's really needed so I'm happy to see how he goes next season.

I have a feeling, just a gut feeling, that he may well even start the season beside Sakho.

If he can be cured of his penchant for drifting into the LCB zone, then I agree.

Also, let's be honest, anyone at LCB is going to look dodgy at times with Moreno outside them.
      Moreno = good footballer, not a good defender.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #752: Jun 23, 2015 12:54:16 pm
      Think Martin Skrtel. He was on the bench one season, and the following season, he became a regular starter. Martin was also seasoned and familiar with this league.

Benefit of doubt aside, the thing now is we really have no idea whether Dejan will come good. We'll probably have more clarity after the first 5-6 matches.

Melwood experts and insiders, any visibility?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,280 posts | 4938 
      Reply #753: Jun 23, 2015 12:55:05 pm
      If he can be cured of his penchant for drifting into the LCB zone, then I agree.

Also, let's be honest, anyone at LCB is going to look dodgy at times with Moreno outside them.
      Moreno = good footballer, not a good defender.

Agree Swab but if he's playing with Sakho he'll have to play right side.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #754: Jun 23, 2015 12:57:23 pm
      Agree Swab but if he's playing with Sakho he'll have to play right side.

That's what worries me mate.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,280 posts | 4938 
      Reply #755: Jun 23, 2015 12:59:02 pm

Got you.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #756: Jun 23, 2015 01:00:32 pm
      Here's something radical why don't we improve the defensive system of the team.

This, all day long!!!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #757: Jul 25, 2015 12:46:01 am
      Hasn't the f***in head for it.

Great when the real pressure is off.
      At this level he's a f**king menace.

I was hoping that it was a case of first season nerves or whatever, needed a season to adapt and he would be raring to go for the new season but I just honestly can't see it. He was a player in good form that we signed rather than a player with quality and as we know, form is temporary, quality (or lack of in this case) is permanent.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,620 posts | 3851 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #758: Jul 25, 2015 12:48:52 am
      I was hoping that it was a case of first season nerves or whatever, needed a season to adapt and he would be raring to go for the new season but I just honestly can't see it. He was a player in good form that we signed rather than a player with quality and as we know, form is temporary, quality (or lack of in this case) is permanent.

Should have signed Fonte.

Quick Reply