Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

Dejan Lovren (Liverpool > Zenit St Petersburg)

Read 313072 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Dejan Lovren Player Thread
      Reply #989: Oct 12, 2015 10:28:46 pm
      It's each to their own obviously when it comes to supporting the club and/or the players in their own particular way. I've said a few times now though that I'm prepared to give each and every player a clean sheet and get right behind them, regardless of my previous opinion. The simple fact of the matter is that unless a fair few of the players improve markedly, regardless of who is the manager we won't improve as a team.

Now we have a top manager we as fans will probably end up with a team we deserve, made up of players who are as confident as we deserve. EVERYONE gets a fresh start from me.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,228 posts | 846 
      Reply #990: Oct 12, 2015 10:28:58 pm
      I think (I hope) Lovren will shine under Klopp as he suits more of his high pressing and what not.

Not sure about Skrtel though
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #991: Oct 19, 2015 09:32:52 am
      What will happen with this poor guy now?
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,175 posts | 265 
      Reply #992: Oct 19, 2015 09:50:02 am
      What will happen with this poor guy now?
      Hope he get chance to prove himself (like all of our players) under Klopp.
      I'm one of a very very few here that not convinced that Lovren is as bad a player as we saw with LFC so far.
      For me, it could be a blind faith, from what I saw of him (not much though) I'm still hope Klopp can bring the best out of him.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #993: Oct 19, 2015 10:12:23 am
      Hope he get chance to prove himself (like all of our players) under Klopp.
      I'm one of a very very few here that not convinced that Lovren is as bad a player as we saw with LFC so far.
      For me, it could be a blind faith, from what I saw of him (not much though) I'm still hope Klopp can bring the best out of him.
      Zdravko Mamić will get the best out of him in a club of Lovrens level.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #994: Oct 19, 2015 04:19:58 pm
      Honestly, and feel free to call me crazy, but I think Lovren would have looked a lot better than Skrtel against Spurs. He's much more of a front-foot defender than Martin is, which seems to fit a little bit better with Klopp's tactics.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #995: Oct 19, 2015 06:55:01 pm
      Honestly, and feel free to call me crazy, but I think Lovren would have looked a lot better than Skrtel against Spurs. He's much more of a front-foot defender than Martin is, which seems to fit a little bit better with Klopp's tactics.

He needs to learn to play on the right though for that, and I'm not sure he can.
      He'll do the same thing of drifting into Sakho's zone instead of staying right.
      Why a right footed player wants to play on the left to the extent he cannot play on the right is beyond me, but unless he can learn quickly, I suspect he may be going out the door.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #996: Oct 19, 2015 07:07:15 pm
      The thing stopping Lovren being good is Lovren himself. Unfortunately after the absolute horror show against West Ham I'm not sure he can exorcise the ghosts in his head, that's even if he can get a start which is unlikely.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #997: Oct 19, 2015 07:50:16 pm
      He needs to learn to play on the right though for that, and I'm not sure he can.
      He'll do the same thing of drifting into Sakho's zone instead of staying right.
      Why a right footed player wants to play on the left to the extent he cannot play on the right is beyond me, but unless he can learn quickly, I suspect he may be going out the door.

Lots of righties get shifted to the left out of necessity. Mats Hummels, for instance, is a right-footed LCB. Lovren is weird though in the sense that he seems to struggle playing on the right. But how many times did he play RCB for us? Just once, right?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,224 posts | 4418 
      Reply #998: Oct 19, 2015 07:57:37 pm
      Right side, left side I doubt it will make much difference.

He is just a poor defender who is terrible at reading the game he doesn't know when to step forward and when to drop back, is so easily beaten in a 1 v 1 duel, has zero recovery pace and to cap it all thinks he can play in midfield. The only reason Gomez got games this season was to baby sit him.

Skrtel may not be able to play a high line but at least he knows his limitations unlike Lovren.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,324 posts | 772 
      Reply #999: Oct 19, 2015 08:09:47 pm
      Has a limited future under Jürgen Klopp, if any at all ! Think Lovren will be one of the first players to be shown the exit door.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1000: Oct 19, 2015 08:37:42 pm
      The thing stopping Lovren being good is Lovren himself. Unfortunately after the absolute horror show against West Ham I'm not sure he can exorcise the ghosts in his head, that's even if he can get a start which is unlikely.

Fresh start mate. I think that Klopp can give Lovren the confidence he needs to recover from his piss poor start at the club, whether he can help Lovren with his stupid errors will be the real challenge ... even for Klopp.

I am willing to give him the chance though and I don't think his competition is that great anyway. Zero to hero ?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1001: Oct 19, 2015 11:23:57 pm
      The thing stopping Lovren being good is Lovren himself.

Along with the obvious lack of quality.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #1002: Oct 20, 2015 02:05:23 pm
      Along with the obvious lack of quality.

Come on, he has great character.. But that doesn't count now. It used to. :lmao:
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1003: Oct 20, 2015 07:10:15 pm
      I am willing to give him the chance though and I don't think his competition is that great anyway. Zero to hero ?

Zero to better than Kolo Toure is all I'm asking.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #1004: Oct 20, 2015 07:38:42 pm
      Zero to better than Kolo Toure is all I'm asking.

Kolo is a legend and cult hero though. Big ask for Lovren.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1005: Oct 20, 2015 07:42:46 pm
      Kolo is a legend and cult hero though. Big ask for Lovren.

I'd trade his cult status for a few more good performances. I am not happy with Kolo in the team at all, makes me very nervy.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1006: Oct 23, 2015 11:23:09 am
      I've been having a think about Lovren and have come to the conclusion that his problems are mental.
      It's what goes on between his ears after he makes a mistake.
      He's big, strong, quick (for a CB), can pass, tackle and is decent in the air, so he has the physical attributes, but his mentality seems to be lacking.

Put it another way, most players who make a mistake, shrug it off and get on with things.
      Lovren makes a mistake, he seems to obsess over it and then try too hard to put it right, leading to more mistakes.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1007: Oct 23, 2015 11:43:18 am
      I've been having a think about Lovren and have come to the conclusion that his problems are mental.
      It's what goes on between his ears after he makes a mistake.
      He's big, strong, quick (for a CB), can pass, tackle and is decent in the air, so he has the physical attributes, but his mentality seems to be lacking.

Put it another way, most players who make a mistake, shrug it off and get on with things.
      Lovren makes a mistake, he seems to obsess over it and then try too hard to put it right, leading to more mistakes.

Totally agree. He has absolutely everything to be a top centre half, and as long as nothing goes wrong during a game he displays it. All it takes though it one mis-control, one mis-timed jump, one mis-placed pass and he absolutely goes to pieces. I cannot for the life of me understand it, but my suspicion is that he's one of those players who needs to "loved" by the fans and manager alike. I can't see the first part happening anytime soon and I think his time may have gone.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,224 posts | 4418 
      Reply #1008: Oct 23, 2015 12:13:08 pm
      I have been one of Lovrens biggest critics but seeing Skrtel making mistakes every game it should only be fair to try him with Sakho. Two players on the same wavelength at least, maybe Jürgen can sort his head out , only problem is would he feel comfortable playing as a RCB.

Tragedy that Gomez is out for the season as he and Sakho would have been a dream pairing as CB's
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1009: Oct 23, 2015 05:39:26 pm
      I have been one of Lovrens biggest critics but seeing Skrtel making mistakes every game it should only be fair to try him with Sakho. Two players on the same wavelength at least, maybe Jürgen can sort his head out , only problem is would he feel comfortable playing as a RCB.

Tragedy that Gomez is out for the season as he and Sakho would have been a dream pairing as CB's

Or maybe try Illori there? Oh wait....
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Reply #1010: Oct 31, 2015 07:50:10 pm
      was he playing in the midfield when he replaced Lallana?
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #1011: Oct 31, 2015 08:10:04 pm
      was he playing in the midfield when he replaced Lallana?

Yeah.

Quick Reply