Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. UPDATE: 6th April - Will we get top 4?

No
      115 (75.2%)
      Yes
      38 (24.8%)

Total Members Voted: 150

The Top 4. Can we get there?

Read 124789 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: The Top 4. Can we get there?
      Reply #483: Dec 30, 2014 08:21:29 pm
      Gas to see how the poll has changed. We are a fickle bunch.

I've said all along well get top 4. We have a great manager, and some cracking players, it was always going to take time to gel the team, unfortuately supporters are an impatient bunch, and want it all immediately.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #484: Dec 30, 2014 09:23:54 pm
      I've said all along well get top 4. We have a great manager, and some cracking players, it was always going to take time to gel the team, unfortuately supporters are an impatient bunch, and want it all immediately.

Fair play. Would love to share your optimism on the top 4 spot. Think the damage done on that rough spell was too great. Unlikely not to lose another 3 games in the course of the season, we are playing well but consistency takes time. 10games lost is very unlikely to deliver 4th+ - saying that, this is one bizarre season and lots of teams have fecked up too. In 2011/12 Arsenal finished 3rd with 10 losses.

Southampton and West ham will both drop off. If we managed to get 68+ points it could be enough this season to get 4th (Unlikely)... 19 games 40 (W20 D8 L10) points is an AMAZING run of form considering how we have been playing and the fact that we have no strikers who can perform, Studge aside who I believe is a bit away from returning yet.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #485: Dec 30, 2014 09:35:05 pm
      Fair play. Would love to share your optimism on the top 4 spot. Think the damage done on that rough spell was too great. Unlikely not to lose another 3 games in the course of the season, we are playing well but consistency takes time. 10games lost is very unlikely to deliver 4th+ - saying that, this is one bizarre season and lots of teams have fecked up too. In 2011/12 Arsenal finished 3rd with 10 losses.

Southampton and West ham will both drop off. If we managed to get 68+ points it could be enough this season to get 4th (Unlikely)... 19 games 40 (W20 D8 L10) points is an AMAZING run of form considering how we have been playing and the fact that we have no strikers who can perform, Studge aside who I believe is a bit away from returning yet.

I was happy with the transfer window as I saw a lot of attacking potential, obviously I would have liked a higher calibre of striker brought in, but in Lallana, Coutinho, Sterling, Markovic, Henderson, I could see the plan to spread the goals out more than relying on 2 players.
      I believe well start to see that plan work (belatedly) in the new year. We're only 5 points off 4th,  with the Mancs still to come to Anfield, it's all to play for.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4416 
      Reply #486: Dec 30, 2014 09:41:02 pm

According to the Echo Sturridge should be back mid January. Fingers crossed he is fixed this time!

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #487: Dec 31, 2014 10:23:24 am
      Just saw some stats and now can't locate the source!! That since we have moved to the 343 formation our form has been top 3 rather than the previous mid table form.
      Food for thought maybe we have turned the corner.

Even if that's true HSc - It's a tough one to gauge: there may well have been results, in that time, we could have expected. Results against teams we might expect to win without playing 3-4-3?

That said: I like what I have been seeing and the beauty about it is that our recent turn around (if that is indeed what it is) can continue with fixtures against Leicester, Wimbledon, Sunderland and Villa. Plenty of opportunity for Brendan and the lads to build confidence.  8)

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #488: Dec 31, 2014 12:14:53 pm

3) Consider investing on 2-3 players in the Jan transfer window. Okay, I'm not one for multiple transfers in one season but if we can get a GK, a DM and a top forward, we should stand every chance of returning to top four.

Coutinho said it three months ago.
      I said it this week.

Spine of the team.

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,372 posts | 1540 
      Reply #489: Jan 01, 2015 01:31:12 pm
      I would have said, maybe just YES, after the last four performances, but seeing how Brendan is changing a winning formula to accommodate Stevie G, and removing some of the pace and energy from the engine room. Coupled with the decision not to buy a cover for Sturridge this window, I am more inclined to think NO.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,372 posts | 1540 
      Reply #490: Jan 01, 2015 01:40:24 pm
      On another note, we played well against the scum, lack of finishing cost us,  good against the Arse, lack of finishing cost us, but in between we were pretty lucky to get anything from the burnley game. That sort of form could easily return for game or two. The terrific display against Swansea is a good sign, but by no means are we guaranteed to play like that every game until the end of the season. Shame I know, but our unpredictability makes top 4 more difficult.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,966 posts | 5022 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #491: Jan 01, 2015 02:08:19 pm
      In a word(or three) yes we can, and until it's mathematically impossible I'll believe we will,

It's a funny old game as we all
      Know and it's been a funny old season to date, despite our sh*t first half we are just 5 pts from a qualification spot,

If we continue to improve and pick up points and with Sturridge to come in I can see us going on a run, we will still have sticky moments too but so will those in and around us,

With the ACN kicking off soon the likes of WHU losing players for that comp they'll soon drop down the table, Spuds will do their usual and sink, same with Saints, I can see us fighting it out between arse & scum for 3rd & 4th with the emphasis on 4th in our case,

We need a GK asap, we also need a striker but a keeper for me takes priority, can't see it happening but I'd go all out to get Cech in in this window, we cannot seriously go to the end of this season with Mignolet, he's fu**ed in the Heid , has zero confidence and if honest became a liability,
      Time for change and it needs to happen now !

YNWA
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,454 posts | 2848 
      Reply #492: Jan 01, 2015 05:00:46 pm
      Think we'll get close but just getting the feeling now that we've got too many performances like today in us to make up the ground.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,482 posts | 3436 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #493: Jan 01, 2015 05:03:54 pm
      No chance whatsoever
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #494: Jan 01, 2015 05:17:19 pm
      Southampton getting their form back again after a few very tough fixtures is a disappointment for us. Some still think they'll drop away without question, I still think they're the main contenders for 4th.

I actually think Arsenal will peg them at the end as experience will count in their favour as they're so used to doing it but we're now 7 points (and a massive amount of GD) behind them with only 18 games to play.

People will still argue it's doable until it's mathematically impossible and that's fair enough but we simply are not consistent enough to be considered in with any shout at all for me.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #495: Jan 02, 2015 08:39:27 am
      Spurs are picking up form also
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #496: Jan 02, 2015 09:41:34 am
      Being realistic and honest...no recognized decent striker...no decent goalie...no January incoming transfers...no effing chance.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #497: Jan 02, 2015 10:38:25 am
      The further we go in each cup competition the less likely we are to make the top 4.
      We do have a chance but I think we will full a bit short
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #498: Jan 02, 2015 05:33:48 pm
      no chance with joke of manger we have get 4 spot, only chance we have winning euopra league
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #499: Jan 02, 2015 08:21:28 pm
      Southampton getting their form back again after a few very tough fixtures is a disappointment for us. Some still think they'll drop away without question, I still think they're the main contenders for 4th.

I actually think Arsenal will peg them at the end as experience will count in their favour as they're so used to doing it but we're now 7 points (and a massive amount of GD) behind them with only 18 games to play.

People will still argue it's doable until it's mathematically impossible and that's fair enough but we simply are not consistent enough to be considered in with any shout at all for me.

I'd be surprised if Wenger didn't pull it off as usual. He'll never win a league title again, but he knows how to beat the trash in the league to secure top 4.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #500: Jan 02, 2015 08:31:28 pm
      I'd be surprised if Wenger didn't pull it off as usual. He'll never win a league title again, but he knows how to beat the trash in the league to secure top 4.

He's been drawing with too much of the trash this season though. Honestly Arsenal need to buck up their ideas or they will be in trouble - Spurs look as though they are picking up momentum.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #501: Jan 02, 2015 08:39:25 pm
      He's been drawing with too much of the trash this season though. Honestly Arsenal need to buck up their ideas or they will be in trouble - Spurs look as though they are picking up momentum.

I still wouldn't bet against Wenger scraping over the line for 4th. He's never finished below that in all these years with them. Though I think he might resign in the summer anyway as it's getting nasty now among their fan base.

The scary thing about Arsenal is if they do get a top class manager at his peak, they have the resources and facilities to fight for the title every year.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #502: Jan 02, 2015 09:29:20 pm
      Realistically can't see us getting in top 4. Might give it a good go but too much inconsistency. Best bet is Europa League and domestic cups for success so Stevie can leave on a high.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #503: Jan 04, 2015 01:45:33 pm
      Yep. We need to finish above Arsenal (as any team that does will be in the top four). We're 4 points behind them, with 18 games to play.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #504: Jan 04, 2015 02:09:39 pm
      We just need to sort out our off the ball game. On the ball we look solid, control the game well and dictate the pace. Off the ball we look a mess, players out of position, not working to regain possession well enough, defense all over the place and keeper shambolic.... Its like we cant see the play if its not directly infront of us, runners in behind have a free reign to position themselves well and torment us.

If we can get to within -6points of 4th for when Studge returns we may have a chance.

We need 12 wins from 18....
      Last 11 games have been W5 D5 L1... Playing better but we need to get consistent and cut out the stupidity we seen at Leicester.

Can we do it? Unlikely.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #505: Jan 04, 2015 02:14:09 pm
      Spurs have hit some form lately too. 4 wins from last 6 and 2 draws. Sitting pretty in 5th. Would hate to lose out 4th to them.

Utd, Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool and Southampton are all going to be fighting it out for 2 positions.

Quick Reply