Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match vs Basel (once again if possible)

Simon Mignolet
      4 (6.8%)
      Javi Manquillo
      5 (8.5%)
      Martin Skrtel
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      5 (8.5%)
      Jose Enrique
      4 (6.8%)
      Steven Gerrard (c)
      4 (6.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      3 (5.1%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      8 (13.6%)
      Lazar Markovic
      2 (3.4%)
      Raheem Sterling
      0 (0%)
      Mario Balotelli
      7 (11.9%)
      Adam Lallana (sub)
      16 (27.1%)
      Rickie Lambert (sub)
      1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: Oct 04, 2014 09:48:13 pm

Basel 1 - 0 Liverpool: In Game & Post Game Wonderings (again).

Read 29088 times
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Re: Basel 1 - 0 Liverpool: In Game & Post Game Wonderings (again).
      Reply #437: Oct 01, 2014 10:08:38 pm
      Welbeck hatrick... Ah man my head is fu**ed.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #438: Oct 01, 2014 10:09:09 pm
      Poor, might just cover it, sadly!

or compliment it.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #439: Oct 01, 2014 10:10:00 pm
      Balotelli is not a Liverpool player. He is a Balotelli player. He plays for himself. He's lazy, lacks creativity, and disrupts the flow of any move we have. Why would a team as bad as AC Milan want to sell him?

Exactly. He has always been like this, hence the reason why Inter, City and Milan got rid. I don't even know where the hype came from that he was a fantastic player. As much as people dislike Borini, he is better suited for our team and would offer more than Balo.

Sturridge and Borini up front please, drop Balo and revamp our midfield, no more long/direct balls and by passing our attacking midfield players, then I can see our form improving and becoming more potent in attack.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4416 
      Reply #440: Oct 01, 2014 10:10:49 pm
      We had enough chances (just messed them up).  Just needed someone to show some bit of composure.  It's not like we created nothing, and they were rock solid in defense, far far from it

Apart from Raheem shitting his pants in front of the keeper name one other clear cut chance we created.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,619 posts | 7143 
      Reply #441: Oct 01, 2014 10:11:40 pm
      So Real Madrid home and away we could have 3 points after 4 games. Then what?.
      I want far more from this team and someone has to stand up and be counted
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #442: Oct 01, 2014 10:12:42 pm
      Looking at the highlights and EVERY other team that won looks good.

Where the F**k have liverpool gone? Lost at sea.

Help us football gods please.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #443: Oct 01, 2014 10:13:50 pm

No body is standing up, actually they are all shirking away into the darkness of their own minds.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #444: Oct 01, 2014 10:14:12 pm
      I don't know how to describe our team this season
      Dross is the word mate and it's not getting better . It's not just the team that's the problem the backroom staff aren't up to it . When i think of the fantastic Boot room we had and compare what we have now with Pascoe and Marsh i wonder what the future holds .

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,619 posts | 7143 
      Reply #445: Oct 01, 2014 10:14:57 pm
      How the F**k did Chelsea Sign Reme and we didn't. This F***ing committee need to be exported ASAP.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #446: Oct 01, 2014 10:15:00 pm

Could have 9 could have 7 could have 6

Just think well be better in them 2 ganes
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,619 posts | 7143 
      Reply #447: Oct 01, 2014 10:16:46 pm
      Dross is the word mate and it's not getting better . It's not just the team that's the problem the backroom staff aren't up to it . When i think of the fantastic Boot room we had and compare what we have now with Pascoe and Marsh i wonder what the future holds .

Well Brendan took all the plaudits last season he has to be challenged and judged by this season without Luis.
      I always thought our tactic last season was "just give it to Luis" and so far I think I was right
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4416 
      Reply #448: Oct 01, 2014 10:16:52 pm
      Looks like I saw a different game from everyone else and don't mind being put to right as I have had a few beers.

The major problem for us as has been all this season was the midfield. Consistently giving balls to the opposition, lack of tracking back, taking the wrong option. The number of times we picked up the second ball throughout the match I can count on one hand.

Not even going to mention the comical defending from Skrtel, not surprised Sakho walked out.

Brendan has plenty to work on because so far he has been below average.
      Scottbot

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #449: Oct 01, 2014 10:17:34 pm
      Didn't really deserve anything did we and hard to take any positives from the game. We still can't keep a clean sheet and are showing the same old defensive issues but we are just as bad at the other end of the pitch. Don't look like we can buy a goal. Just to got to hope we can get Danny back, keep him fit and then buy again in January.

I still think Balotelli can be a player for us but without Sturridge's movement he is simply too static, ditto for Lambert. We should have taken the gamble of Remy, it doesn't seem to have bothered Chelsea. Sterling had a poor fame tonight but there is a lot of pressure on such a young lad. Cputinho looked light-weight and let's be honest here for a minute, Markovic looks a waste of money based on what he has shown so far. All I have seen is heavy touches, running down blind alleys, a fear of shooting, no end product and very little contribution defensively. How he is keeping Suso out of the team is beyond me.

Another set piece goal and once again Martin Skrtel man handling his man rather than playing the ball, how many times?

Only positive for me was seeing Enrique back in the side and that's about it.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,619 posts | 7143 
      Reply #450: Oct 01, 2014 10:18:07 pm
      Looks like I saw a different game from everyone else and don't mind being put to right as I have had a few beers.

The major problem for us as has been all this season was the midfield. Consistently giving balls to the opposition, lack of tracking back, taking the wrong option. The number of times we picked up the second ball throughout the match I can count on one hand.

Not even going to mention the comical defending from Skrtel, not surprised Sakho walked out.

Brendan has plenty to work on because so far he has been below average.

it is hard to believe we cannot put out a side that looklike a team rather than strangers
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #451: Oct 01, 2014 10:21:56 pm
      There wasn't one player in a Liverpool jersey that could grab that game by the scruff of the neck and make it his own and that's a major problem . We need a hero and he ain't coming , no new Stevie G to pull the Rabbit out of the hat like he did against Olympiacos .Henderson at this stage in his career should be able to do it but alas he's not up to it either .
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Re: Live: Basel V Liverpool
      Reply #452: Oct 01, 2014 10:23:10 pm
      I'd say :

Mignolet 7 - result could have been worse without his saves and couldn't really do better for the goal, I also noted he was making efforts to give the ball to defenders feet instead of his usual wasteful long distribution
      Enrique - 4 - if it's how he fights for his place Moreno has only the return of Flanagan to fear ; unable to do anything else than giving corners he could easily have saved
      Skrtel, Lovren - 6  nothing terribly shocking from them but weren't especially good either
      Manquillo - 5 wasted the ball most of the rare times he gone forward, and was just a little better than Enrique in defense
      Henderson - 6 running a lot as always but out of that...
      Gerrard - 6,5 some decent passes and one good free kick but his lack of pace allowed them to put too much pressure on our defense
      Markovic - 5,5 wasn't the main problem but wasn't the solution either, keep the ball too much
      Sterling - 4,5 his worst game since months, wasted all his chances and could also have given a pen and taken a second yellow (referee must have pitied us), but desserve a little better note than Enrique for his continuous effort
      Coutinho - 6 rather anonymous performance but some decent passing and no big mistake I remember
      Ballotelli - 7 made lots of efforts to improve his off ball play and won us many free kicks (all he could do considering how heavily marked he was) ; I'd say from our field players he gave the best performance today, but still so little end product is worrying for a striker
      Lallana - 6,5 made the team look a bit better but failed to make a real difference
      Lambert - ? hard to judge came too late
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #453: Oct 01, 2014 10:23:43 pm
      Souness and Carra just pointing out how much Skrtel is obsessed with the man as opposed to the flight of the ball. This is the same EVERY game and EVERY set piece.

Sounds romantic :-*
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,619 posts | 7143 
      Reply #454: Oct 01, 2014 10:23:46 pm
      There wasn't one player in a Liverpool jersey that could grab that game by the scruff of the neck and make it his own and that's a major problem . We need a hero and he ain't coming , no new Stevie G to pull the Rabbit out of the hat like he did against Olympiacos .Henderson at this stage in his career should be able to do it but alas he's not up to it either .

we had him last season his name was Luis. We don't have anyone who can do what stevie used to do or what Luis did last season and every big team needs a player like that
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #455: Oct 01, 2014 10:24:50 pm
      Danny Welbeck and Loic Remy are far superior to this Mario lad.

Not if they don't get the service!

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4416 
      Reply #456: Oct 01, 2014 10:25:07 pm
      What really stood out with do many players under performing was the lack of options on the bench.

Where was Suso when Raheem was crying out to be replaced when he could not control a simple ball.
      Where was the midfield general to drive us forward when Stevie decided to take a break on his deck chair.

Maybe I have exaggerated a bit but you get my gist.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #457: Oct 01, 2014 10:25:59 pm
      Cant vote for any Man Of The Match.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #458: Oct 01, 2014 10:27:45 pm
      Making good runs where, if the team can't create?

Players don't create chances by taking them out of their arses, attacking movement is a huge part of it, and it's why we find so much easier to create with someone like Sturridge rather than Balotelli.

In fact, one of the few good plays we had happened with him trying to get involved, passed to Lallana and he passed to Sterling, the one that, somehow is not being blamed for this result, to miss a great chance.

That's exactly the only type of situation when Balotelli actually passes the ball - with his back to the goal. He does a good job controlling the ball and laying it off to others around him in that situation but that alone isn't good enough. By the way, it was only a chance because Sterling made a cracking run through the middle which Lallana spotted. It was a terrible miss and it was one of Sterling's worst games, but as I say again, people criticizing Balotelli are not talking about this particular game only, he's been the same for his whole career, and though he can obviously improve (hopefully), there's little reason to believe he will judging by the first few games.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,619 posts | 7143 
      Reply #459: Oct 01, 2014 10:27:52 pm
      Cant vote for any Man Of The Match.

surprised anyone has mate. Nobody wants to be negative but how can you say someone deserves MOTM after that performance

Quick Reply