Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM?

Mignolet
      3 (3%)
      Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Skrtel
      2 (2%)
      Johnson
      1 (1%)
      Gerrard
      2 (2%)
      Henderson
      1 (1%)
      Allen
      0 (0%)
      Sterling
      34 (34%)
      Coutinho
      44 (44%)
      Balotelli
      2 (2%)
      Lallana
      10 (10%)
      Can
      1 (1%)
      Markovic
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Voting closed: Oct 25, 2014 09:45:43 pm

Liverpool 0-3 Real Madrid: In game and Post Match Disappointment

Read 41347 times
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Real Madrid
      Reply #667: Oct 22, 2014 11:49:42 pm
      We got let off. They took their foot off the gas so much in the 2nd half it really was far, far, far too easy for them.

I thought we'd get beat 3 or 4 nil but in truth that could have been many more if they went for it.

Sure we could have scored a couple but this game was over by half-time.

Brendan playing both Balotelli and Johnson was disappointing and our lack of any defence idea is beyond embarrassing now.

Ludogorets beat Basel at least we can dream but we all surely know we're not going very far in this competition.

Indeed. They have the classico to focus on come the weekend and you could really see how they operated in cruise control during the 2nd half.

It's a shame how this club has developed over the summer. We haven't one player who can produce the magic. Coutinho is the closest thing when he's at his best. Sterling is still developing into a fine player and Sturridge spends most of his time out injured.

I find it hard to believe that our defenders are actually that bad at defending. It cannot just be down to a lack of ability. When you've got a defense that functions as badly as ours do, you need a get out of jail card. We had that last season, but this season we don't. Last season I foresaw us playing a team like Madrid this season, but what I didn't see was the Liverpool of this season playing them. I thought we would have continued to improve.

It's frustrating and disappointing. Today was down to a lack of quality in midfield, an awful defence and no strike force whatsoever. We can improve, but will things only get worse until we do? I hope not..
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: Liverpool 0-3 Real Madrid: In game and Post Match Disappointment
      Reply #668: Oct 22, 2014 11:51:08 pm
      I do agree. But in hindsight, had he brought someone in, I don't think it'd have made much difference.
      We'll never know now IO , Rodgers complained about lack of depth in the squad and when the chance appeared done nothing to improve it .

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #669: Oct 22, 2014 11:51:20 pm
      Skip, I've no problem with you and Billy is probably the poster I respect more than anybody on this forum but whether you've 100 years supporting this club or 100 days, you're gonna speak out if what you're seeing at your club is sh*te.

I've probably only witnessed half (maybe even less) than some on here but ain't no f**ker gonna try and tell my opinions sh*t based on how long I've been supporting this club. We can't help when we're born and we're not Marty McFly with a flying delorean to take us back in time.

To be fair, you have always been an old fart in spirit Bill.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,120 posts | 3370 
      Reply #670: Oct 22, 2014 11:55:09 pm
      To be fair, you have always been an old fart in spirit Bill.

That's true mate.

I'm sort of on both sides here :laugh:
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 348 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #671: Oct 22, 2014 11:57:05 pm
      We'll never know now IO , Rodgers complained about lack of depth in the squad and when the chance appeared done nothing to improve it .

That's true. Let's just hope he can get it right and we are back challenging again next season. I'm not calling us a write off just yet, I just think Europe will be a distraction for him at this moment in time and we will suffer in terms of league form because of it. Coupled with our over reliance on Sterling.

I expect a few decent signings in January, particularly in DM/Defence and up front.

Being honest I'd like to put Stevie back in AM and bring in a proper DM or two.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #672: Oct 22, 2014 11:58:38 pm
      The acceptance and resignation to losing to them pre and post match is very disturbing.

Gutted.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #673: Oct 23, 2014 12:00:50 am
      Whatever way you've dress it up, you've said you'd rather see Liverpool lose than win.

That's just plain f**king wrong.

If you're telling me you got more satisfaction watching us lose tonight than beat Cardiff in the League Cup final of 2012 then you are a complete and utter pr**k.

Basically, I said I'd rather see Liverpool compete in the European Cup at any cost rather than win the League Cup with no European status. How f**king hard is that to comprehend?

Again, believe the damned lies and spin that the 'veterans' put on it, and you are no wiser than the fools who believed Tony Blair and Iraq.

But don't you dare call me a pr**k just because I as a supporter have the high ambition of wanting to see Liverpool merely compete in the European Cup rather than win a League Cup when we are nowhere near to being a European club. I will not be F***ing insulted and apologise for being more ambitious than the luddites on here who believe winning a League Cup is better than Champions League.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,217 posts | 4412 
      Reply #674: Oct 23, 2014 12:01:40 am
      That's true. Let's just hope he can get it right and we are back challenging again next season. I'm not calling us a write off just yet, I just think Europe will be a distraction for him at this moment in time and we will suffer in terms of league form because of it. Coupled with our over reliance on Sterling.

I expect a few decent signings in January, particularly in DM/Defence and up front.

I wish he would play with a proper DM and think of him what you want we have a decent one sitting on the bench who would certainly offer more protection than Stevie.
      But I wouldn't hold my breath as Brendan has never played with a DM even at Swansea!

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #675: Oct 23, 2014 12:06:33 am
      I would like another side to living in the past. When my Dad was alive I used to love nothing more than hearing about some of the greats who had played for Liverpool Football Club. I refer to the likes of Elisha Scott, Gordon Hodgson, Tiny Bradshaw and so many more greats. Also he told me about the time we supplied 3 international goalies on the one day Sadly according to some we are living in the past when we remember greats of our own time never mind our Dads time. That is the history of this great club and it does not hurt to remember our history.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #676: Oct 23, 2014 12:07:05 am
      Rodgers may have no choice but to play Gerrard more advanced and if Emre Can gets himself some more game time he'd make a right decent DM .

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #677: Oct 23, 2014 12:11:09 am
      I wish he would play with a proper DM and think of him what you want we have a decent one sitting on the bench who would certainly offer more protection than Stevie.
      But I wouldn't hold my breath as Brendan has never played with a DM even at Swansea!

I think tonight, given Madrids squad and experience and our shortcomings, we should have played with the line up we started the second half with. We could have even used Can instead of Allen. However that is in hindsight. We have such a bad shape when we are not pressing and attacking. We are literally at sixes and sevens.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #678: Oct 23, 2014 12:11:28 am
      Skip, I've no problem with you and Billy is probably the poster I respect more than anybody on this forum but whether you've 100 years supporting this club or 100 days, you're gonna speak out if what you're seeing at your club is sh*te.

I've probably only witnessed half (maybe even less) than some on here but ain't no f**ker gonna try and tell my opinions sh*t based on how long I've been supporting this club. We can't help when we're born and we're not Marty McFly with a flying delorean to take us back in time.

... and you command much respect from us all Billy.
      In awe sometimes.

Everyone on this forum has the right to make fair comment whether it be good or whether it be bad.

The length of time supporting the club does not have any overriding priority.

All its gives us is a much longer benchmark to use ...to compare what is happening today ....than over that time.
      If Billy believes that it is the worst period in the sixty years of support he has the right to say so and not be slagged off as a veteran.

There is a complete lack of respect being shown for anyones opinions that do not concur with another and the keyboard warriors abound.

I fight fire with fire. I know no different.

(PS The Pope isnt dead )  ;D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,120 posts | 3370 
      Reply #679: Oct 23, 2014 12:11:51 am
      Basically, I said I'd rather see Liverpool compete in the European Cup at any cost rather than win the League Cup with no European status. How F***ing hard is that to comprehend?

Again, believe the damned lies and spin that the 'veterans' put on it, and you are no wiser than the fools who believed Tony Blair.

But don't you dare call me a pr**k just because I as a supporter have the high ambition of wanting to see Liverpool merely compete in the European Cup rather than win a League Cup when we are nowhere near to being a European club.

There's no spin put on this;

Ha ha, the lies keep coming - I said I'd rather lose at Anfield in the European Cup than win some poxy Cup with no European status.

They are your words.

Your words are you'd rather see Liverpool lose, as long as it's in the European Cup, than win a trophy. A trophy by the way that we've won more times than any other c**t. A trophy that we won 4 consecutive years running - a claim no other team can make about any other trophy. A trophy that has been a part of both our trebles in our history. A trophy that a lot of Liverpool fans respect and it is only glory hunting cu*ts who disrespect it.

You didn't say compete, you said lose in the European Cup. And any time a Liverpool fan says they'd rather see us lose, I do fail to F***ing comprehend it. The same way I failed to comprehend the pricks who wanted us to lose to Chelsea a few years back so they'd win the League and United wouldn't. The same way I failed to comprehend the pricks who wanted us to lose our final two games of the 2010-11 season so we wouldn't get in the Europa League. I can't fathom how a Liverpool fan would rather see us lose than win. Whatever the F***ing competitions may be.

Tony Blair? Yeah let's all believe the F***ing Tories instead. (why pointless politics have been brought into it though is anybody's F***ing guess)

You have higher ambition? Higher ambition is to see Liverpool lose than win. F**k off dickhead. You're not even worth responding to now. There's some on here who'll agree with you, they're F***ing idiots as well.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #680: Oct 23, 2014 12:15:04 am
      I think we need to put this defeat in to some context. We have not been playing well all season and largely it's down to choices we made in the Summer. On top of that we where playing arguably the world's best team right now and for periods of the game, we controlled matters. The disappointing thing isn't that we where the architects of our own demise yet again, but the fact our heads seem to go down after the first goal. It was as if all belief in ourselves evaporated all of a sudden. Yes we made mistakes in defence again but sometimes you have to hold your hands up and accept that you where beaten by a better side.

The first goal would have been saved by a better keeper (there's an article on TAW that explains this; it's to do with his stance. Go read it, it's enlightening) but it was also a sublime piece of skill by potentially the best player in the world right now. The second goal started with a punch that wouldn't have knocked the skin off a rice pudding, continued with not one but two defensive mistakes and failures to take responsibility, and ended in a goal. Given the context of our defence since Rodgers took over, it's hardly surprising is it? The third goal was a complete cluster F**k but again, is nothing new for us.

But there where encouraging signs as well. We where playing arguably the world's best team right now and they had to resort to pulling down Sterling every time he broke in attack. If we'd had Danny on the field it would have been an entirely different game. I was also sceptical about the signing of Lallana during the Summer but each and every time I see him, he's proving just how wrong I was on that point. He's going to be a very important player for us over the next few seasons. BR also made important tactical changes whilst there was still time for them to take effect which all too often this season he's been guilty of not doing. This shows he's learning and willing to adapt to changing circumstances. He did it at QPR and he did it here today which silences the critics who accused him of having no Plan B.

We always knew these two matches would be tough and have worked on the principle of finishing second in the group. With Ludogorets beating Basel that's still to play for. We're an inexperienced side with an inexperienced coach with injuries to one of our most important players, playing against one of the best teams in the world, with highly experienced players and a veteran coach and people are surprised we got beat? There where a lot more positives to take away from this match than there where the last. Very few teams beat this Real side and we improved immeasurably from the QPR match so really, I don't know what all the drama is about.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #681: Oct 23, 2014 12:15:34 am
      I think tonight, given Madrids squad and experience and our shortcomings, we should have played with the line up we started the second half with. We could have even used Can instead of Allen. However that is in hindsight. We have such a bad shape when we are not pressing and attacking. We are literally at sixes and sevens.

I thought Can would have started tonight tbh. He's got the makings of being a good midfielder.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #682: Oct 23, 2014 12:16:07 am
      Basically, I said I'd rather see Liverpool compete in the European Cup at any cost rather than win the League Cup with no European status. How f**king hard is that to comprehend?

Again, believe the damned lies and spin that the 'veterans' put on it, and you are no wiser than the fools who believed Tony Blair and Iraq.

But don't you dare call me a pr**k just because I as a supporter have the high ambition of wanting to see Liverpool merely compete in the European Cup rather than win a League Cup when we are nowhere near to being a European club. I will not be F***ing insulted and apologise for being more ambitious than the luddites on here who believe winning a League Cup is better than Champions League.
      Arsenal supporters by and large might disagree with you , 16 consecutive yrs in it and not a snot to show for it and how long did they go without domestic silverware then 9 yrs and is that what you would like for us  ?

Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #683: Oct 23, 2014 12:16:27 am
      There's no spin put on this;

They are your words.

Your words are you'd rather see Liverpool lose, as long as it's in the European Cup, than win a trophy. A trophy by the way that we've won more times than any other c**t. A trophy that we won 4 consecutive years running - a claim no other team can make about any other trophy. A trophy that has been a part of both our trebles in our history. A trophy that a lot of Liverpool fans respect and it is only glory hunting cu*ts who disrespect it.

You didn't say compete, you said lose in the European Cup. And any time a Liverpool fan says they'd rather see us lose, I do fail to f**king comprehend it. The same way I failed to comprehend the pricks who wanted us to lose to Chelsea a few years back so they'd win the League and United wouldn't. The same way I failed to comprehend the pricks who wanted us to lose our final two games of the 2010-11 season so we wouldn't get in the Europa League. I can't fathom how a Liverpool fan would rather see us lose than win. Whatever the f**king competitions may be.

Tony Blair? Yeah let's all believe the f**king Tories instead. (why pointless politics have been brought into it though is anybody's f**king guess)

You have higher ambition? Higher ambition is to see Liverpool lose than win. F**k off dickhead. You're not even worth responding to now. There's some on here who'll agree with you, they're f**king idiots as well.

Yes I said AT ANY COST in the previous post!!!!!!!

If you think the League Cup is the be all and end all, by all means, join the deluded club, but some prefer us to compete in the Champions League.

Would I rather lose to Madrid in the Champions League? Yes - BECAUSE ITS THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE AND WE ARE ACTUALLY IN IT.

READ THE F***ing POST OF MINE. I also said that is PREFERABLE to winning a League Cup WITH NO EUROPEAN REPRESENTATION. How you think being also-rans in the league but winning an out of date trophy is better than being in a competition with Europe's best is beyond me. If so, YOU are the one who needs to apparently 'F**k off'.

Putting it simply as - 'I'd rather see them lose than win' sounds bizaare, but put it FOR ONE SECOND in the context I have said and you will understand.

Will you accept that reasoning? If not, then god help us all.

And keep the insults to a minumum the next time - doesn't make you superior. Utterly utterly pathetic. As ever, I await your response.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,120 posts | 3370 
      Reply #684: Oct 23, 2014 12:17:34 am
      ... and you command much respect from us all Billy.
      In awe sometimes.

Everyone on this forum has the right to make fair comment whether it be good or whether it be bad.

The length of time supporting the club does not have any overriding priority.

All its gives us is a much longer benchmark to use ...to compare what is happening today ....than over that time.
      If Billy believes that it is the worst period in the sixty years of support he has the right to say so and not be slagged off as a veteran.

There is a complete lack of respect being shown for anyones opinions that do not concur with another and the keyboard warriors abound.

I fight fire with fire. I know no different.

(PS The Pope isnt dead )  ;D

I agree with that mate.

I think Billy's posts should always be shown respect and dignity. Like I said, I respect him more than anybody else on this forum because quite simply he can add knowledge to any discussion that very few others can. I weren't around in the 70s and 80s but me arl fella was and I've learned so much from him about that time that I can happily hold me own in any discussion of that era. Unfortunately though, I don't have that same knowledge from the 60s or earlier (me dad's dad passed on long before I was around so didn't get the chance to hear the stories from him) so hearing it from the likes of yourself and Billy really mean a lot to me.

If Billy believes this is the worst we've played since our dark days of second division football then I respect that opinion. Maybe not agree with it but respect it nonetheless.

Judging by what your main protagonists have said though, I can easily see why you were riled by them.

Probably best to leave them to it now.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #685: Oct 23, 2014 12:19:09 am

How did you do that?
      That is so F***ing clever.

Been to kindergarten have we?

Could have done with crayons  in colour.

Getting to you mate ........................ ... its running down your leg TBH.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #686: Oct 23, 2014 12:20:40 am
      I agree with that mate.

I think Billy's posts should always be shown respect and dignity. Like I said, I respect him more than anybody else on this forum because quite simply he can add knowledge to any discussion that very few others can. I weren't around in the 70s and 80s but me arl fella was and I've learned so much from him about that time that I can happily hold me own in any discussion of that era. Unfortunately though, I don't have that same knowledge from the 60s or earlier (me dad's dad passed on long before I was around so didn't get the chance to hear the stories from him) so hearing it from the likes of yourself and Billy really mean a lot to me.

If Billy believes this is the worst we've played since our dark days of second division football then I respect that opinion. Maybe not agree with it but respect it nonetheless.

Judging by what your main protagonists have said though, I can easily see why you were riled by them.

Still waiting for your response...... come on.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,120 posts | 3370 
      Reply #687: Oct 23, 2014 12:22:33 am
      You're not even worth responding to now.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,217 posts | 4412 
      Reply #688: Oct 23, 2014 12:22:55 am
      Come on you fannies we are all Reds at the end of the day irrespective of our views we all want LFC to succeed.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #689: Oct 23, 2014 12:23:05 am
      I agree with that mate.

Respect.

Thats it. A very small thing.

We can all be right we can all be wrong.

At least respect can be shown for others opinions.

Quick Reply