Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Pre Match: Real Madrid v Liverpool. Champions League Tuesday 4th Nov 7.45pm ko.

Read 15433 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Pre Match: Real Madrid v Liverpool. Champions League Tuesday 4th Nov 7.45pm ko.
      Nov 03, 2014 11:10:25 am
      So, we have a game on tomorrow night though you wouldn't believe it reading some of the forum topics.  Not many of us looking are forward to this as we are preparing ourselves for a beating, literally, but these are the games we've been missing for the last 5 years.  Whether we're planning on watching from behind the sofa, having it on as background noise or really looking forward to an unexpected win, put all your views in here and let the arguments begin.

Personally, I'll be watching avidly after enjoying watching our young Reds hopefully do the double over them  :gt-happyup:

I've no idea who or how we'll play as we've been an enigma all season but it's the Champions League and strange things can and do happen in this competition whenever Liverpool play  ;D

Carra: How Reds can get Bernabeu result
      3rd Nov 2014 - Latest News

Jamie Carragher believes Liverpool are well within their capabilities of getting a positive result against Real Madrid and insists they shouldn't have any fear of travelling to the Bernabeu Stadium on Tuesday night.

Despite the 3-0 loss to the reigning Champions League holders at Anfield, the Kop legend claims there were some positives to take from the outing - most notably the good start Liverpool made when they could easily have scored in the opening stages.

"There will be some trepidation because of what happened in the first game but the players need to try to relax and enjoy it," said Carragher.

"It's a fantastic arena - one of the most iconic stadiums in European football - and it will be a fantastic experience for this side to play in the Bernabeu.

"People don't expect Liverpool to get anything so the pressure is off a bit but you don't want to go there and get embarrassed.

"You don't want to be 3-0 down at half-time in the Bernabeu because they won't be holding back in front of their own fans.

"Of course Real Madrid are big favourites but it's not impossible for Liverpool to get something out of the game.

"The big thing is defending better than they did at Anfield.

"They will be under pressure for long periods of the game and they have to stay neat and compact. They have to keep it tight and then try to hit them on the counter-attack."

The former vice-captain insists Liverpool will have to hit the ground running quickly as a good start is vital against Carlo Ancelotti's charges.

He added: "The first goal will be so important. Real got it in the game at Anfield and that changed the game. Up until that point Liverpool had played very well.

"Real Madrid are a great name in European football and you want to go there and put in a performance. It's an opportunity for this team to prove that Liverpool are better than they showed at Anfield."

Carragher knows what it's like to win at the Bernabeu in a red shirt having played a key role in the 1-0 triumph over Real under Rafael Benitez in February 2009.

Looking back at the victory, Carragher claims it wasn't a result that surprised him or his teammates.

He said: "We were an excellent team in Europe at the time so we certainly didn't fear going there.

"We had a way of playing away from home in Europe which was very effective.

"It started under Gerard Houllier when we showed we were capable of going to a lot of places and stifling the opposition. Benitez then came in and put his own stamp on it with his system.

"We had a lot of European experience in the side. Some of us had won the UEFA Cup under Gerard in 2001 and then we had some great runs in the Champions League under Rafa.

"As well as winning it in 2005, we got to the final in 2007 and the semi-finals the year after. We knew what was needed.

"It worked out perfectly that night as we defended well and nicked a goal late on."

Forward on to 2014 and the current crop at Real are one of the most feared sides in Europe, and Carragher points to the influence of Cristiano Ronaldo as a major factor behind that.

"The current side is better," he added. "We played against Robben, Higuain, Raul. A few faces are still the same with Casillas, Ramos, Pepe and Marcelo.

"But the big difference now is Ronaldo. He's the best in the world and he's in the form of his life.

"It's not easy to stop him but you have to try to deny him the kind of space he revels in with his pace and power on the counter-attack.

"He was very quiet for the opening 20 minutes at Anfield but then came to life and transformed the game with a stunning finish. No-one else in the world would have scored that goal.

"It's going to be tough over there as Real are a top team. They proved that at Anfield.

"Liverpool haven't started the season well but they're still not away from the top four and they're still right in contention to get out of their group in the Champions League.

"Whatever happens at the Bernabeu, Liverpool can still qualify. They'll probably have to win their last two games against Ludogorets and Basel but they're more than capable of doing that."
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Re: Pre Match: Real Madrid v Liverpool. Champions League Tuesday 4th Nov 7.45pm ko.
      Reply #1: Nov 03, 2014 11:16:12 am
      It's going to be tough.

Cannot wait to get out there tho.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Re: Pre Match: Real Madrid v Liverpool. Champions League Tuesday 4th Nov 7.45pm ko.
      Reply #2: Nov 03, 2014 11:18:33 am
      Its getting a bit negative at the moment, these are the games we have been waiting and crying out for, taking on the best Europe have on offer.
      Im certainly looking forward to the game couldnt care less if we get battered as proud Reds we never fear anyone.

Bring it on..................
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #3: Nov 03, 2014 11:43:44 am
      These are the games we love and have missed so bring it on indeed...But, and I am sorry to be negative. I fear this is a game we could really do without at this point.

Carra said we started well at Anfield against Madrid, and he is right but it was worrying how quickly we crumbled once they took control and I believe we will be seriously humbled tomorrow. Having been outplayed by almost every side we have played this season, I am worried that we are going to get a serious run around.

Confidence has to be high when you go to a place like the Bernabeu. It's the only attitude to have if you want to get a result and it's not something we have in abundance right now.

4-1 Madrid.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4: Nov 03, 2014 11:45:14 am
      It's going to be tough.

Cannot wait to get out there tho.

Enjoy yourself mate, it'll be a cracking atmosphere no doubt, just stay safe  ;)
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #5: Nov 03, 2014 12:02:00 pm
      I don't think any of us mind getting a beating if we're being outclassed by a superior team, it's when we get a beating because of our players lack the mental fortitude to give the best they can. So long as we give our all for 90+ minutes, I'll accept any result. I just want them to do us proud, come what may.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,662 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6: Nov 03, 2014 12:04:34 pm
      Might just make the opening part of this the dialogue for our season.

Al Pacino's Inspirational Speech
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #7: Nov 03, 2014 12:06:16 pm
      Can we get something? Yes of course we can.

Will we get something? Unlikely.

This is one game where I think we should have one up top with fast players supporting but Mario has been sh*te so far and wont offer any movement so I don't think he is the answer. I would go with Borini.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #8: Nov 03, 2014 12:09:37 pm
      This is our reward for last season! This is no unwelcome distraction! As a Liverpool fan I have to think we can win! As liverpool players those lads must go there and make it happen!

We are not a two bit club and demands must be put on the players to do the job no matter who we play.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,186 posts | 528 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #9: Nov 03, 2014 12:15:35 pm

Daniel Sturridge
      Madrid bound with the boys @31sterling @dejanlovren06 @laazar50 #vibes

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #10: Nov 03, 2014 12:22:59 pm
      Can only foresee a hiding.  Would love to be proven wrong.

Many of you are right - these are the games we should be looking forward to.  I just fear this might be our last big European game for another X number of years.

It's just a shame that our horrible football these last 3 months has taken a little bit of excitement away from when the draw was made.

The team who finished 2nd in the Premier League should not be going into a game against the team that finished 3rd in La Liga as such massive underdogs.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #11: Nov 03, 2014 12:31:17 pm
      In all my years following this great club Ive never feared for us playing any opponent I always felt we'd make a game of it with anyone. Im almost ashamed to say I fear for us tomorrow we could be on for a drubbing.

There attack is one of the best around going up against a shambles of a defence. Plus even if we do manage to stifle them somewhat theyll only need 1 goal in all likeliehood to win it as our attack is so lame its hard to see us having more then 1 or 2 shots on goal nevermind scoring
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,739 posts | 158 
      Reply #12: Nov 03, 2014 01:00:12 pm
      Is this Liverpool FC or Newcastle forum ? No I will not be happy just cause the fact we playing  Madrid at their home , seriously this argument make me think of league two team happy to play against a big team away and has nothing to lose and their achievement is the fact that they played a big team . No we are liverpool a big club too , we are in champions league we need to play as a big team or otherwise we don't deserve to be in this competition , certainly Madrid are good team but that doesn't mean that they are gods immortals cannot be beaten , we are sh*t yes but at least give it a good go , just remember the days were sh*t in league but suddenly we play differently in the champions league . So this argument be happy just cause we playing Madrid is dumb and pointless and makes us look like a very small team , no I'm not happy cause we are playing Madrid infact I couldn't care less . I will be happy if we play differently and give them their run of the money otherwise the champions league is too big for us at the moment , what we gonna say if we play Barcelona and Munich ect ... Just be happy cause we play them ;D ?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,662 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #13: Nov 03, 2014 01:01:50 pm
      What I wouldn't have given to see Sturridge and Suarez tearing it up in the Champions League.
      Should be a celebration, continuing from last season.

Now. Nightmare.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #14: Nov 03, 2014 01:05:11 pm
      Enjoy yourself mate, it'll be a cracking atmosphere no doubt, just stay safe  ;)

cheers! :) Look out for the drunken Irish lads on the screens!

Gonna be interesting to see what sort of team will play given our big game at the weekend.

Allen, Lucas, Hendo, Lallana, Sterling as a midfield 5?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #15: Nov 03, 2014 01:09:17 pm
      What I wouldn't have given to see Sturridge and Suarez tearing it up in the Champions League.
      Should be a celebration, continuing from last season.

Now. Nightmare.

We would certainly have given them a game with two no doubt about it.

Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #16: Nov 03, 2014 01:10:05 pm
      I'm curious to see if Brendan will start Raheem as the false 9 having said "that is an option".
      Probably something like

Manquillo-Skrtel-Lovren-Moreno
      Stevie-Lucas-Hendo
      Lallana-Sterling-Coutinho
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #17: Nov 03, 2014 01:13:00 pm
      cheers! :) Look out for the drunken Irish lads on the screens!

Gonna be interesting to see what sort of team will play given our big game at the weekend.

Allen, Lucas, Hendo, Lallana, Sterling as a midfield 5?

That would be interesting but I suspect there would be a sh*t storm if we don't put out our strongest side.  That's like throwing the towel in before we've kicked a ball  :D
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #18: Nov 03, 2014 01:33:49 pm
      Really hope this one delivers. We havent had a good night yet in Europe, no big moments and no big performances - no memorable moments. Totally unlike us. Rodgers and co are clearly finding their feet in Europe.

Just lose yourself for this one. Embrace the madness and forget who your playing. Throw everything and the kitchen sink at it. Get a result and who knows.... this could be the p0x ridden turning point we really need.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #19: Nov 03, 2014 01:41:23 pm
      this could be the p0x ridden turning point we really need.

thot we had that last week vs the Swans.. no?!  :-[
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #20: Nov 03, 2014 01:50:28 pm
      I think we should play a 442 and play Balo and Lambert up front as target men. Play long balls to our strikers or play it out wide for our wingers to cross it in.

Might as well try something different, not as if we'll win with our current setup. I'd say, utilise our strikers to the best of their abilities and see how that works out.
      ACMilanLFC
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 57 posts |
      Reply #21: Nov 03, 2014 01:59:58 pm
      Real is practically already qualified and may not take the field with the right concentration.
      We shouldn't take anything for granted.
      Ancelotti's teams occasionally lose some points when they feel already qualified.
      In games like these Balotelli usually makes the team play in 10, I'd leave him out.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #22: Nov 03, 2014 02:07:45 pm
      I'm curious to see if Brendan will start Raheem as the false 9 having said "that is an option".
      Probably something like

Manquillo-Skrtel-Lovren-Moreno
      Stevie-Lucas-Hendo
      Lallana-Sterling-Coutinho

I really like that team mate. Pretty solid in midfield and Lallana and Coutinho have the ability to drop back to put 5 in midfield when we are defending. That front 3 could cause some trouble for Ramos/Pepe. However, this is what we will actually see...

Mignolet
      Johnson-Skrtel-Lovren-Enrique
      Henderson-Gerrard-Allen
      Sterling-Balotelli-Markovic

:f_steam:

Quick Reply