Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Premier League abroad!

Read 1540 times
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Premier League abroad!
      Oct 25, 2007 12:08:31 pm
      I've just been watching SSN, they were reporting from a meeting being held in London a head of the first NFL match to be played over seas! The New York Giants will play The Miami Dolphins at Wembly in a proper league game! Sky took the opportunity to interview the likes of Tom Hicks and all the other brustered Lads who have an interest in English Clubs. But it was the West Ham Chairman Magnesson who they put the question to "Can you see a Premier League game being played aboard to raise the profile of the game?"! He said he could see this happening within five years and it would be good for our game! The worst thing about this is I can actually see these clowns wanting to do this! Imagine Liverpools home league game with Man Ure being played in the Thailand national stadium! The profile of our game doesn't need raising any where in the world, this smacks of rich knob heads wanting to make more money out of our game. Having billionaire owners funding mega money transfers of the likes of Torres is all well and good but I do worry about some of there ideas and where they want to take the game in the future.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Re: Premier League abroad!
      Reply #1: Oct 25, 2007 01:14:19 pm
      Agreed.  A silly idea. 

Unfortunately I can also see this happening.  The average match going fan is dispensable these days.  It's a bit like the way big UK boxers always have to fight in America at ridiculous o'clock.  TV money is bigger than crowd money.

Personally I don't think we will tolerate it but you can see some of the London clubs etc being interested.
      The Anfield Warrior
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,029 posts | 32 
      • RED Blooded since '67
      Reply #2: Oct 25, 2007 01:37:15 pm
      This isn't about "spreading" the game to the masses
      its an opportunity for the clubs to create a bigger merchandise outlet...
      its not as though we need more support to fill a stadium,

not that I would mind seeing more Liverpool shirts to the Manc ones that seem to be the more
      prevalent down here in Oz (not including the Italian ones...)
      but the Manc's have been better at marketing themselves (over here at least)
      and were the first club to really get into the international merchandising market...
      for many years I had just as much "luck" in finding a Red's Jersey as I would have in finding
      a "Scunthorpe" one whereas there would be a full rack of the Manure's ones

Anyhoo...

Q) Is it good for the game
      A) No...

But it will be good for the clubs purely as a marketing/merchandising exercise
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #3: Oct 31, 2007 12:37:43 pm
      I think it will only be frendlies so i see no problem with this at all

Quick Reply