Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match.

NO ONE
      73 (54.9%)
      Jones
      5 (3.8%)
      Johnson
      1 (0.8%)
      Skrtel
      1 (0.8%)
      Lovren
      2 (1.5%)
      Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Gerrard
      1 (0.8%)
      Allen
      1 (0.8%)
      Moreno
      1 (0.8%)
      Coutinho
      11 (8.3%)
      Sterling
      19 (14.3%)
      Lallana
      6 (4.5%)
      K Touré
      4 (3%)
      Markovic
      2 (1.5%)
      Balotelli
      6 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Man.Utd 3:0 Liverpool. In game and post match finger pointing.

Read 58551 times
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Re: Man.Utd 3:0 Liverpool. In game and post match finger pointing.
      Reply #943: Dec 14, 2014 08:26:33 pm
      Yea, that was a bit of a howler in fairness. Teed it up nicely.
      He had a good run up the left in the first half, brought the ball about 30 yards ... should've had a crack with his magic wand of a left peg :)

He had a few very good tackles as well. I just don't understand why he's getting singled out by a lot of people. Must be the price tag.

I think some of his bad performances have to do with how the whole back line is deployed. We have 4 CBs right now. Toure and Skrtel are back foot defenders, Lovren and Sakho are front foot. The mix and match isn't working. We're supposed to have a sweeper keeper, but we don't. And we don't have enough, if any, protection from the midfield. First goal today was a case in point.

We need a proper keeper for the way we want to play. We need to give Lovren and Sakho time to form a partnership. And we need a proper defensive midfielder. Can looks like he could do a job there for us. A bit of a Matic type.

But I have the feeling, personal issues are getting in the way of us being able to turn this thing around. Unfortunately, I'm starting to believe that Rodgers has had it.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,366 posts | 1538 
      Reply #944: Dec 14, 2014 08:29:04 pm
      I'm gutted we lost to this sh*te, but had to work and couldn't listen to or watch the game. Therefore haven't voted for a MOTM.
      By reading this lot above, It seems that most think BR got the selection wrong again. Who knows, if those early chances had gone in, most would be saying his selection and tactics were groundbreaking.
       I'm of the opinion that BR is trying too hard to rectify earlier mistakes and overcomplicates things.  It's like he's changing too many things at once, to regularly.
      It's players first, then the tactics force players out of position, then when they don't perform, he drops them and plays a different selection, but in a different tactic. The players who play week in week out, are usually the poorest performers like Johnson, Lovren and Allen, and more lately Henderson.  The rest have been changed either positionally, or dropped.
      There's no pattern to what he's doing, no consistency and no common sense.
      We have Borini,(love him or hate him) he's a striker who knows the role. The only other two we have, prefer to play with a partner but are both too slow to compliment each other. So why doesn't Borini play ? No he plays one of the other options on their own.
      We have similar unconventional miss guided issues in midfield and at the back.
      You might look at the players and say there's a lack of commitment, but when your role is changed from week to week, and most of them don't look like they are buying into Brendans current plans, it's no wonder we are at sixes and sevens.
      Whatever the standard of the players, we should be doing better collectively.
      Just take a look at the regular mid table teams. No great players, but the team ethic, and consistent tactics, so they all know what they are doing, and what to expect, is what keeps them going, and we seem to have lost that.
      Sorry, but that has to be down to Brendan and the backroom boys.
      But it's only my opinion.   :(
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #945: Dec 14, 2014 08:32:21 pm
      I don't know what the possession stats were at halftime, but I'm pretty sure we won that battle.  We also had 7 shots with 4 on target to their 3 with 2 on target.  2 of their 3 shots were the RVP header that led to Mata's offside goal.  The reality is that we were the better team, but we lost.  We were desperately unlucky to be behind at halftime, let alone down 2-0.  It's a hard pill to swallow because, just when it seems like we can't get any lower, we have the rug ripped out from under us again....

The silver lining -- if we play like this every game for the rest of the season then I'm confident we will win a lot more often than not. 
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #946: Dec 14, 2014 08:33:16 pm
      FSG like yes men who stay on message.

69!
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1670 
      • YNWA
      Reply #947: Dec 14, 2014 08:34:31 pm
      He had a few very good tackles as well. I just don't understand why he's getting singled out by a lot of people. Must be the price tag.

I think some of his bad performances have to do with how the whole back line is deployed. We have 4 CBs right now. Toure and Skrtel are back foot defenders, Lovren and Sakho are front foot. The mix and match isn't working. We're supposed to have a sweeper keeper, but we don't. And we don't have enough, if any, protection from the midfield. First goal today was a case in point.

We need a proper keeper for the way we want to play. We need to give Lovren and Sakho time to form a partnership. And we need a proper defensive midfielder. Can looks like he could do a job there for us. A bit of a Matic type.

But I have the feeling, personal issues are getting in the way of us being able to turn this thing around. Unfortunately, I'm starting to believe that Rodgers has had it.

No, I agree, I think Lovren can perform better. Not picking him out.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #948: Dec 14, 2014 08:37:00 pm
      I don't know what the possession stats were at halftime, but I'm pretty sure we won that battle.  We also had 7 shots with 4 on target to their 3 with 2 on target.  2 of their 3 shots were the RVP header that led to Mata's offside goal.  The reality is that we were the better team, but we lost.  We were desperately unlucky to be behind at halftime, let alone down 2-0.  It's a hard pill to swallow because, just when it seems like we can't get any lower, we have the rug ripped out from under us again....

The silver lining -- if we play like this every game for the rest of the season then I'm confident we will win a lot more often than not.

Really? We lost 3-0. How can we win more often if we play like this?
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #949: Dec 14, 2014 08:38:43 pm
      Goals win games !.
      This weekend last year SAS had scored 28 goals between them..
      Our leading goalscorer so far this year has scored 3...

Amazed how after 4 minutes when Microphone head got booked we didn't put him under pressure and sucker him in for a second yellow.....same when Evans and Jones got yellows early on..
      In fact we went nowhere near Fellani and he ended up bossing the game second half..Why?!! He's sh*te !

harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #950: Dec 14, 2014 08:42:20 pm
      Really? We lost 3-0. How can we win more often if we play like this?

I thought it was pretty self explanatory, but I'll try again:

We were by far the better team for the first 60 minutes.  We had more possession, more shots, more shots on target, and more corners.  If we do that in every game we will win more often than not. 
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #951: Dec 14, 2014 08:49:59 pm

We were by far the better team for the first 60 minutes.  We had more possession, more shots, more shots on target, and more corners.  If we do that in every game we will win more often than not.

Yeah, but did we score more goals?
      falkirk_bairn
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts |
      Reply #952: Dec 14, 2014 08:50:10 pm
      This is all getting beyond a joke now. I actually think they played ok but they don't look like they have the belief to win. For the few decent players in the team there's too many not performing and continuing to make mistakes. We did create plenty chances but just aren't clinical enough, it's worrying.

There is No point blaming sterling, he's not a striker but he should have finished that one on one.
       Coutinho is a fine player on his day but i agree with the pundits in that he switches off and is poor defensively against the big teams.
      Who cares if Lovren played semi well today, that's still not good enough, his clearance was a disgrace for the 3rd. He's been a complete disaster, certainly not a leader.
      When will Moreno learn? That's the 3rd goal he's been involved with this season by standing watching or wanting too much time. Needs to wise up and fast.
      Joe Allen (technically brilliant-yeah right) is not lpool class.
      Random decision to drop Migs, Jones isn't up to it either but wasn't his fault today.

Balotelli despite being frustrating couldn't do much more other than score but de gea was in fine form.

I really believe this crisis will get worse on Wednesday night. Bournemouth are flying and that makes them dangerous. I dread to think how it will go.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #953: Dec 14, 2014 08:50:21 pm

we were much the better team except for one thing FINISHING and unless we have a finisher we will not win many games.
      If we gamble on Daniel ane breaks down what then
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #954: Dec 14, 2014 08:53:38 pm
      No, I agree, I think Lovren can perform better. Not picking him out.

I wasn't suggesting you were picking him out, but surely a lot of other do and have been so for a while. I just believe our defensive shortcomings are mainly down to coaching, team selection, tactics, and the keeper.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #955: Dec 14, 2014 09:05:35 pm
      Thats needed. We also need to buy some experience, FSG need to open their purses again.

If your going to commit to the manager, then you need to fix his mistakes and back him.... you cant just be there to reap his rewards.

Thats needed. We also need to buy some experience, FSG need to open their purses again.

If your going to commit to the manager, then you need to fix his mistakes and back him.... you cant just be there to reap his rewards.

I'm afraid knowing too well how FSG operates they have given BR all the budget that he needed while he and the committee has gone out and bought some dross that never featured in his team and also he bought players that we don't really need while taking far too much time to bed new players in. Playing Markovic is a desperate measure and that's the difference between an experienced and rookie manager, the former would almost instantly assimilate new players into the team and expedite the familiarisation process.

It is well documented that BR's greatest failure is his failure to get a DM and the United just pierce through our defence at will while Allen and Stevie was nowhere to be found and we have an ineffective Hendo on the right.

« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2014 09:25:47 pm by redkop63 »
      harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #956: Dec 14, 2014 09:13:51 pm
      we were much the better team except for one thing FINISHING and unless we have a finisher we will not win many games.
      If we gamble on Daniel ane breaks down what then

It was 2 things.  Poor finishing and brilliant goalkeeping.  On another day, we would have won and rather easily in my opinion.  Unfortunately, it just wasn't our day today.  Good performance, but a depressing result.  It happens.  Only thing to do is regroup and beat Bournemouth on Wednesday. 
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #957: Dec 14, 2014 09:28:54 pm
      Nobody had a problem when we bought Lovren based on how he played for Soton. So i dont get why people are calling him sh*t now.

He's played badly and is low on confidence. Not being helped by lack of a good partner and other defensive errors. But c'mon calm down ;D

Utter balls! I for one was never happy about us chasing him. And I know I wasn't alone in feeling that. He wasn't great at Southampton. He wasn't great in the world cup and from there he has deteriorated even further. What a waste of money when we already had capable defenders in plentiful supply.

redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #958: Dec 14, 2014 09:32:28 pm
      Goals win games !.
      This weekend last year SAS had scored 28 goals between them..
      Our leading goalscorer so far this year has scored 3...

Amazed how after 4 minutes when Microphone head got booked we didn't put him under pressure and sucker him in for a second yellow.....same when Evans and Jones got yellows early on..
      In fact we went nowhere near Fellani and he ended up bossing the game second half..Why?!! He's sh*te !

We simply has a very timid team because we have a non-aggressive manager with his overplay of side and back passes until we conceded two and three goals where he only urges the team to shift to gear two.

I'm wondering whether the manager has a winning mentality in the first place. A manager that has a winning mentality simply develop players to have a mindset to win games.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #959: Dec 14, 2014 09:34:34 pm

I for one am not a stats fan, and every time SSN bring up Opta Stat I cringe. They mean F**k all! The only thing that matters is sticking the ball in the onion bag and stopping the opposition do the same!

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4408 
      Reply #960: Dec 14, 2014 09:44:04 pm
      Nobody had a problem when we bought Lovren based on how he played for Soton. So i dont get why people are calling him sh*t now.

He's played badly and is low on confidence. Not being helped by lack of a good partner and other defensive errors. But c'mon calm down ;D

I think plenty had reservations with his signing considering we already had Sakho, Agger, Skrtel and Toure.
      And if you missed his performances at Lyon before he joined Saints, this is the sort if stupid defending he was doing there.
      You could say our scouts signed a player who looked decent for the first 6 months last season, because just like Southampton his firm dropped in the second half and in fact if you listen to the Saints fans they reckon it was Fonte who was the brains in that partnership.

He is just a list of tragic signings over the summer.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #961: Dec 14, 2014 09:45:27 pm
      how many times has Steven Gerrard never got a single vote in a MOTM poll?
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #962: Dec 14, 2014 09:51:49 pm
      how many times has Steven Gerrard never got a single vote in a MOTM poll?

I guess if not for you this might have been one of those occasions.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #963: Dec 14, 2014 09:54:27 pm
      So much was said that we created many goal scoring chances, true, and yet we failed to score. Most probably we never had proper training on the pitch, moreso inside the box, to do proper shooting practice or one to one challenges. The misses in this match strongly suggests so and I've said it all along the training scheme at Melwood could be outdated or the current coaches do not have the experience and do not know what is really needed inside the opposition box in the absence of Sturridge. 10 games later only they realised that Balo needs to be inside the box to score goals  and that they need to work on combos to get the goals.

I summary, BR and the coaches simply do not have a Plan B, C or D when Sturridge first got injured while they continue to play Allen and Hendo which doesn't serve much purpose except making up the numbers, opposition players still get past them at will.

We simply has a manager that re-acted far too slow plus a team of coaching staff that do not really know what is really needed to do on the pitch to win games.

To have all the messis in our team is a wishful thinking but in all honesty we have a decent lot here except a missing DM, on another day a world class manager and coaching team would transform this team into a winning unit with a winning mentality.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #964: Dec 14, 2014 09:55:06 pm
      I guess if not for you this might have been one of those occasions.

Guess again smarty I voted for no-one someone probably Stevie just voted for him
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,113 posts | 3368 
      Reply #965: Dec 14, 2014 09:57:04 pm
      We twatted United who have the best keeper in the League right now in goal. At the other end they have clinical centre forwards who know how to score - especially when our keeper offers them two thirds of the goal to aim for.

But as well as we played, I'm actually struggling to remember who I thought came off that pitch after having played well.

Jones was better than Mignolet but for the goals, I think he could of done better with the first and his positioning should of been better before the third.

Johnson was sh*t before going off.
      Skrtel was alright.
      Lovren was alright except for that complete F**k up that led to the third.

Henderson was as poor as I've seen him, he seems reluctant to have more than two touches of the ball at any one time. Just F***ing hold it, lift your head and pick a forward pass every now and then lad. You've got the ability. F***ing use it!
      Gerrard was an embarrassment. Our captain against arguably our biggest rivals and he was invisible for 90 minutes. That's not F***ing good enough - especially for somebody stalling on signing a new contract.
      Allen was F***ing useless but that's come to be expected.
      Moreno put in a shift I'd expect from Enrique and that's no F***ing compliment.

Lallana was sh*te. I'm beginning to think that the 25 million we paid was a lie and it was actually 2.5 million but a typo has said we've spent ten times more than we actually did.
      Coutinho tried, couple of quality little runs where he danced past United.
      Sterling was our most dangerous player but couldn't put the ball in the net. For some reason he wanted every chance on his left foot when he's right footed.

Toure was solid enough.
      Balotelli was as wasteful as ever, shooting from some 30 odd yards out and troubling the crowd more than the goal. And when he was in the box, still couldn't put the ball in the net.
      Markovic was probably as good as he has been in a Liverpool shirt. Still had his lapses but looked decent.

Quick Reply