Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Is it time to turn to the youth?

Read 8320 times
      Sam_95
      Re: Is it time to turn to the youth?
      Reply #69: Dec 29, 2014 12:57:36 pm
      Kinda was my point racer it's too early in their careers to say if they're successful never mind our current under 18s.  If they're good enough they'll get there whether they're pushed or not.

Grealish has been a Chelsea target and would do great at our club. It was nice to see Ojo on the bench v Burnley!
      Sam_95
      Reply #70: Dec 29, 2014 12:58:53 pm
      Forgot all about Suarez. Good player.

The manager should be looking at these, than looking at big names that cost keeps of money and end up on lucrative contracts and not playing for the shirt.
      Sam_95
      Reply #71: Dec 29, 2014 01:04:30 pm

Bit of fun, but of course it all depends on how good the youth are.

Are our youth that good, if we'd won that Next Gen series of games then maybe so.

Yeah thats 100% true, the mans are giving youth a chance, its about time we started to do so! Although it was nice seeing Ojo on the bench v Burnley!
      Sam_95
      Reply #72: Dec 29, 2014 01:06:27 pm
      If they are not given a chance we shall never know.

Totally agree, it was nice to see Ojo on the bench v Burnley!
      Sam_95
      Reply #73: Dec 29, 2014 01:10:08 pm
      You'd really need to define "instant" Sam... it seems your definition is very different to mine.  :-\

Well everybody wants what happened last year but were not going to get that straight away - we need to give it time, but on the other hand need to give the youngsters a chance. It was nice to see Ojo on the bench v Burnley, hope to see more in the future!
      Sam_95
      Reply #74: Dec 29, 2014 01:12:46 pm
      Loftus-Cheek got a run out in a dead rubber game for Chelsea.
      Big difference to that and relying on him to safe a season.

Calder and Grealish were on the bench for Villa last time out.
      Unused subs.

Mbaye was on the bench for Inter.
      Unused sub.
      Duncan is on loan at Sampdoria, from Inter.
      Unsused sub. Has made 7 appearances.

Klaassen and Veltmen both started the last game for Ajax.
      Fischer out with injury.

So if you want to compare.
      Sterling is a regular for us. No other team has that.
      Suso is out injured, but had gotten a game and a goal. :D
      Wisdom is playing regularly for West Brom.

We are doing better than most.

Yeah but at least Chelsea are giving the lad a go, although it was nice seeing Ojo on the bench, I would have liked him to have got 10 minutes.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 491 
      Reply #75: Dec 29, 2014 01:14:50 pm
      Well you could've posted all of them in a single reply.
      Sam_95
      Reply #76: Dec 29, 2014 01:16:30 pm
      I'm at work and on my phone but if somebody could see who if anyone from the successful Next Gen squads are now playing regular 1st team football in a top league?

If you class the Dutch League,

Eredivise - Klaasen, De Sar, Fischer, Denswil, Veltman (All Ajax)

La Liga - Samper (Barca), Saul (Athletico) , Torres (Athetico)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,438 posts | 8656 
      Reply #77: Dec 29, 2014 01:16:58 pm
      Yeah that correct, it was nice seeing Ojo on the bench v Burnley!

So you said about five F***ing times, you his agent or family!!
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #78: Dec 29, 2014 01:17:40 pm
      Sam

I'm interested, what's your thoughts about Ojo? seeing as he made it on the bench in the recent Burnley game?

Sam_95
      Reply #79: Dec 29, 2014 01:20:34 pm
      What i want is give our youth a chance, players like ibe and suso. mix them with older quality players. we on the other hand are getting in players who are young for the first team who saddely arent able to up to the task yet.
      so instead of markovic, i would have liked to see suso and ibe fignhting for his place. With a striker upfront in his peak.

Yeah I would say that... although Markovic has played well in the last 2 games
      Sam_95
      Reply #80: Dec 29, 2014 01:23:16 pm
      Surely we have a centre back who can do no worse? Whats Lloyd Jones up to? Anyone else?

Yeah would like to see him get a chance in the first team.
      Sam_95
      Reply #81: Dec 29, 2014 01:24:38 pm
      Well you could've posted all of them in a single reply.

Ahh yeah I see I'm still getting use to this! Thanks.
      Sam_95
      Reply #82: Dec 29, 2014 01:26:55 pm
      Maybe Markovic is a kid brought abroad but he is still better than Ibe and Suso together.

He has looked decent in the last 2 games - hope we start him again tonight v Swansea.
      Sam_95
      Reply #83: Dec 29, 2014 01:31:11 pm
      Sam

I'm interested, what's your thoughts about Ojo? seeing as he made it on the bench in the recent Burnley game?

I think it will give the other youngsters the confidence and make them won't to step up to earn themselves a place on the bench, would like to see more such as Sinclair, Rossiter for example. Ojo has obviously impressed the manager, just wish he would have been given the 10 minutes, but suppose he would have only got that if we was 3-0 up for example.

Well In my opinion it is the start because I read an article about Aston Villa and then bringing through the youth to their first team, it stated their were more wrongs than rights but the club has hugely benefited from them.
      Sam_95
      Reply #84: Dec 29, 2014 01:35:20 pm
      So you said about five f**king times, you his agent or family!!

Ok chill man, I didn't realise you could just post in one single message thought you could only comment.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,438 posts | 8656 
      Reply #85: Dec 29, 2014 01:44:12 pm
      Ok chill man, I didn't realise you could just post in one single message thought you could only comment.

Hahaha you haven't worked out scouse pisstaking have you yet? Man!!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #86: Dec 29, 2014 03:20:01 pm
      Grealish has been a Chelsea target and would do great at our club. It was nice to see Ojo on the bench v Burnley!

I understand your wish that our young players are given a chance Sam and yes it was great to see Ojo on the bench, he deserves it after the progress he's made this last 12 months. 

I am confused though as to the point you're trying to make.  Don't you think we give our young players a chance?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #87: Dec 29, 2014 04:11:26 pm
      Well everybody wants what happened last year but were not going to get that straight away
      Please tell me you see what's wrong with this sentence mate.  :-\

Tell you what - don't, I can't be arsed going round in circles.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #88: Dec 29, 2014 06:16:22 pm
      It's a bad time when you are hoping youth players can get you out the sh*t because you didn't spend 100+mill properly.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #89: Dec 29, 2014 06:37:57 pm
      Yeah but at least Chelsea are giving the lad a go, although it was nice seeing Ojo on the bench, I would have liked him to have got 10 minutes.

Did you forget about Sterling?
      He's already being overplayed for his age.

We're already loading up on Sterling.
      I'm not eager for us to do likewise with another youngster.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #90: Dec 29, 2014 06:51:54 pm
      Our next batch of youngsters coming through should those out on loan. Ibe etc.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #91: Dec 29, 2014 07:00:24 pm
      Don't you think we give our young players a chance?

I certainly don't Debs. In fact I made a thread very similar to this a few years back and people got their knickers in a twist about it. They thought I was asking for 11 kids to be thrown in but that's not the point. The point I was trying to make was where we're struggling in the first team, give a young lad a run out because in reality you're not losing anything. I made the same point when Andy Carroll was here. He wasn't scoring so I wanted to see Adam Morgan give a run out. If Morgan fails to score, he's no worse than Carroll. If he does score, you may actually save yourself a bomb. I suggested any of the young lads we had on our books in the summer before Balotelli. But of course, we're not prepared to give them a go and instead waste money on players who aren't up to it.

For me we don't give the kids a go and haven't done for a very, very long time. If Jamie Carragher was in our reserves right now, I doubt he'd make it. Carra wasn't a great footballer and as a kid didn't really have anything that set him apart from anybody else. But he was playing under a manager (Roy Evans) who saw something in him and gave him a go and allowed him to develop. He didn't expect Carra to be the star of the team from day one. And then after establishing himself, somewhat, he was replaced every year under Houllier. Only problem was none of the full backs brought in were all that good (with the exception of Markus Babbel). So Carra remained in the team and eventually proved that he shouldn't be replaced and is more than good enough to rack up over 700 games for the club.

Jordan Rossiter, scores on his debut and doesn't really do anything wrong against Boro. He then isn't seen again. Gets on the bench for the next round against Swansea. Doesn't even manage that for the Bournemouth game. Kids aren't gonna develop enough at reserve/youth level. They need to be in and around the first team on a regular basis. Jordon Ibe, tearing it up at Derby, would of given us more than Markovic has. Norm Wisdom would of been a more solid choice at full back than Manquillo.

And people then say the players aren't good enough anyway because they never make it to the Prem, well that's because they fail to get the game time they need between the ages of 17 and 20. The biggest problem we have is the expectation that when a lad comes in, he has to be world class instantly. No they don't. Kids will make mistakes. That's how they learn. But they're not going to learn if they only play one game every six months in the first team, and even that not being with the first choice players. Have them on the bench, bring them on. Let them start a couple of games. That's what we're doing with the majority of the squad anyway.

But no, we give them one game. Don't see them again for months on end. And then it's "well they weren't good enough anyway, let's sell them to (take your pick of any lower league club)"

Sterling has been the exception of the rule in the last ten to fifteen years because Rodgers was forced to play Raheem because a) injuries permitted it and b) the players we had at the time were completely sh*t and c) when Raheem got given a chance, he was instantly boss. We're reaping the rewards of actually playing a young lad.

Our forwards can't score a goal and yet we still don't look at the youth teams, we change the entire team round instead. The kids can't even get a look in on the bench, we persist with Balotelli and Lambert who have proven to not be good enough.

Quick Reply