Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 10th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P17 W10 D3 L4

Thank you & farewell Steven Gerrard

Read 59702 times
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Re: Thank you & farewell Steven Gerrard
      Reply #276: Jan 04, 2015 02:42:22 am
      I was really hoping it would be to NYRB.  I have season tickets for the Red Bulls.  Would have been really cool for us if he signed here.  I really thought it would happen considering Henry retiring.  Oh well, he'll be able to play with Robbie Keane again.  ;D.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #277: Jan 04, 2015 03:26:51 am
      Just got to watching the interview. God damn that was tough to watch :'(
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #278: Jan 04, 2015 05:22:58 am
      Just got to watching the interview. God damn that was tough to watch :'(

Two words - Margaret Aspinall.

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,875 posts | 704 
      Reply #279: Jan 04, 2015 07:54:00 am
      Quote from 7-King Kenny-7
      Loan him back during the MLS break.

I bet the owners just offered him a shocking contract and Gerrard not wanting to talk bad about anything to do with the club has just said its for a new experience or whatever. Don't buy it for a second, he's Liverpool through and through, offer him the contract he wanted which was probably more to do with the length of it rather than the financial side of it and he'd stay until he retired. His age means he no longer fits the model at this club.

A lot more to this whole thing IMO, especially given the timing of it and the fact they haven't actually been in talks over a new deal for very long have they?

He's leaving for the same reason Carra left. He thinks we're sh*te now, and at his age, he doesn't want to be winding his career down on the bench, hoping to challenge for fourth spot instead of aiming to win the league.

Dismiss this "new challenge" nonsense. He's nigh on 35 years old ffs. If we looked like we'd win the league, he would sign what he was offered in no time.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,293 posts | 4939 
      Reply #280: Jan 04, 2015 09:43:16 am
      You and Federer should get a room

A padded cell.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,661 posts | 6959 
      Reply #281: Jan 04, 2015 12:46:39 pm
      If he doesn't want to be in the spotlight he should deffo stay away from LA.

Isn't there about 15M people living there? I'd imagine his every single move would be more in the spotlight if he moved to a smaller city?

Think he has relatively simple pleasures in life - a game of golf and a DJ with some Phil Collins tunes. He'll be fine wherever he goes.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,377 posts | 6403 
      Reply #282: Jan 04, 2015 03:16:36 pm
      Isn't there about 15M people living there? I'd imagine his every single move would be more in the spotlight if he moved to a smaller city?

Think he has relatively simple pleasures in life - a game of golf and a DJ with some Phil Collins tunes. He'll be fine wherever he goes.

There's probably already been a paparazzi assigned to him and he hasn't even got there yet. He will likely be hounded. In contrast,  in NYC for instance, celebrities are actually given their space most times and if he played somewhere like Orlando he would likely be fairly anonymous.

But what do I know.....
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,638 posts | 131 
      Reply #283: Jan 04, 2015 03:26:50 pm
      He's leaving for the same reason Carra left. He thinks we're sh*te now, and at his age, he doesn't want to be winding his career down on the bench, hoping to challenge for fourth spot instead of aiming to win the league.

Dismiss this "new challenge" nonsense. He's nigh on 35 years old ffs. If we looked like we'd win the league, he would sign what he was offered in no time.

This! Despite everything he did for this football club, he chose to play on a regular basis (and probably win something meaningless) over the possibility to keep playing for Liverpool.

Even though he isn't an automatic starter anymore he still has an major impact on this football club! Just having him around is important enough!
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #284: Jan 04, 2015 03:42:18 pm
      This! Despite everything he did for this football club, he chose to play on a regular basis (and probably win something meaningless) over the possibility to keep playing for Liverpool.

Even though he isn't an automatic starter anymore he still has an major impact on this football club! Just having him around is important enough!

Some people only think what they see is what happens don't they?

Your last statement 'just having him around is important enough'

Think about that

Steven as we all know is a sensitive soul bless him, he nearly left in 05 as he didn't feel we wanted him or valued him enough.. Well this summer he had one year left and he had no offer in the summer by all accounts, apparently there was no contact at all with him post World Cup about wanting him to stay.. Then he (apparently ) has a few crossed words with the gaffer on his role and he is left out of the Real match away.. He have everything and waited long enough to get us back in that competition and was left out of the biggest game in the group as we fu**ed up the stage..

Them the offers from abroad came in, from reports before ours, and he thought about his future.

Look we don't know what's happened fully, but I don't and never have understood this reaction to have a dig at players, he has done everything for us and should be showered with nothing but thanks and adulation in my opinion

He's going yes.. Shame in my opinion but why do we need to look for reasons or blame him or complain that he's off..

It's happened.. But for me if we had offered him a deal before he went to the World Cup last summer he'd have signed it without thinking

Think about the offer we have him, between a third and half of his current deal.. How does that make sense in a commercial sense? How much are we going to miss out on with shirt sales in pre season tours and through the year.. Gerrard was our club icon
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,293 posts | 4939 
      Reply #285: Jan 04, 2015 04:03:31 pm

Think about that

Steven as we all know is a sensitive soul bless him, he nearly left in 05 as he didn't feel we wanted him or valued him enough.. Well this summer he had one year left and he had no offer in the summer by all accounts, apparently there was no contact at all with him post World Cup about wanting him to stay.. Then he (apparently ) has a few crossed words with the gaffer on his role and he is left out of the Real match away.. He have everything and waited long enough to get us back in that competition and was left out of the biggest game in the group as we fu**ed up the stage..

Them the offers from abroad came in, from reports before ours, and he thought about his future.

Look we don't know what's happened fully, but I don't and never have understood this reaction to have a dig at players, he has done everything for us and should be showered with nothing but thanks and adulation in my opinion

He's going yes.. Shame in my opinion but why do we need to look for reasons or blame him or complain that he's off..

It's happened.. But for me if we had offered him a deal before he went to the World Cup last summer he'd have signed it without thinking

Think about the offer we have him, between a third and half of his current deal.. How does that make sense in a commercial sense? How much are we going to miss out on with shirt sales in pre season tours and through the year.. Gerrard was our club icon

I'm not convinced it is purely the contract offer that has forced his hand Jon and I think if he was guaranteed to play he'd have signed a much lesser contract then he has now.

More to do with game time and how he sees himself in the side then money in my opinion.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #286: Jan 04, 2015 04:08:57 pm
      I'm not convinced it is purely the contract offer that has forced his hand Jon and I think if he was guaranteed to play he'd have signed a much lesser contract then he has now.

More to do with game time and how he sees himself in the side then money in my opinion.

I didn't say money did I Si?

I said he has a character that needs to feel wanted
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,184 posts | 527 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #287: Jan 04, 2015 04:35:54 pm
      I didn't say money did I Si?

I said he has a character that needs to feel wanted
      That's what Carra said aswell.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #288: Jan 04, 2015 04:37:41 pm

We've seen it before Kate and the more I've  thought about it I can see it having played a big part this time
      « Last Edit: Jan 04, 2015 05:47:06 pm by Paisleydalglish »
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,184 posts | 527 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #289: Jan 04, 2015 05:21:37 pm
      Finally got the guts to watch his last interview. I was devastated when I read he was leaving, now I'm over the F***ing edge. We are feeling the same things, Stevie.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,984 posts | 3061 
      Reply #290: Jan 04, 2015 06:37:02 pm

Think about that

Interesting article from Jonathan Northcroft in The Times today - essentially alluding to the same point commercially and noting Stevie's need for reassurance.

The more I reflect....the less accepting I am. Just a grumbling feeling there "must" have been another way.

I know it's Murdoch but the journo is a regular on LFTV. I can't post the link - I saw it in paper form.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #291: Jan 04, 2015 07:21:41 pm
      To quote Jamie Carragher:

"Kenny Dalglish, as an individual, is No 1 for what he did as a player, manager and ambassador but I regard Steven as the best player, not just for his ability but for the sacrifices he made.

You have to remember also that Steven stayed loyal to Liverpool for five years while they were out of the Champions League, even when he was being courted by potential winners of that tournament such as Real Madrid.

No other player with his talent would have done that.

Will there ever be another world-class player who devotes his entire career to Liverpool? No."

Enough said for me that.

And anybody who has any doubt about how big a decision this was for Stevie must not have watched this interview.

Never seen such obvious and genuine emotion from a player when talking of a  club he is leaving:

Steven Gerrard leaving LFC Full Interview: http://youtu.be/vVYvuPzB35c

I'll watch every game he plays wherever he goes.

The best Liverpool player there has ever been. He has been a Liverpool player throughout most of my adult life and it’s going to be very weird without him but I do feel he is making the right decision.

Although irreplaceable I can't help thinking we need a couple of big signings. Quickly. With the doom and gloom around at the moment and this news hitting home the whole squad has an awe of emptiness and ordinariness about it when I picture it without him at the club. Can't help thinking him just being around is that last bit of glue holding everything together.

Feels like there is no heartbeat anymore and that worries me.

We've all probably thought or said that Stevie isn't what he used to be. Some in more ridiculous ways than others. And we all knew that the end of his time here was nigh and that this day would come. Doesn't stop it feeling like it does though.

YNWA Stevie, you're going to be hugely missed.

True legend.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,333 posts | 8606 
      Reply #292: Jan 04, 2015 08:19:55 pm
      Gerrard will obviously get more money in the MLS.
      Fenway were set to save a huge amount of wages anyway as his contract was up.

Genuinely believe that Gerrard thinks he can play footie week in week out for a couple more years and nobody can blame him for doing that rather than winding down his career as a substitute at Liverpool.

I'm not arsed about the owners.  Think he's made the right decision for himself and more importantly Liverpool FC.

He has already been offered a contract by City worth around £200,000, plus Jose phoned him personally and spoke to him for about 20 minutes to try and sign him on a one year deal for Chelsea, Steven turned down both offers.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      Reply #293: Jan 04, 2015 08:40:25 pm
      He has already been offered a contract by City worth around £200,000, plus Jose phoned him personally and spoke to him for about 20 minutes to try and sign him on a one year deal for Chelsea, Steven turned down both offers.

Really? Where did you hear or read this Huyt?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #294: Jan 04, 2015 08:48:56 pm

Should report both clubs if true, can't approach players  in the same league until end of March.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,661 posts | 6959 
      Reply #295: Jan 04, 2015 08:52:19 pm
      Should report both clubs if true, can't approach players  in the same league until end of March.

Thought March was the date a contract could be signed and not when discussions could begin. 
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #296: Jan 04, 2015 08:59:49 pm
      Linking up with Robbie Keane again, worked well last time :P
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      Reply #297: Jan 04, 2015 09:01:36 pm
      Thought March was the date a contract could be signed and not when discussions could begin. 

Think he can only speak to clubs abroad at this point.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #298: Jan 04, 2015 09:12:01 pm

Think he can only speak to clubs abroad at this point.

Beat me to it.

Quick Reply