Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Wilfried Bony (Swansea City)

Read 12099 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Wilfried Bony (Swansea City)
      Jan 02, 2015 04:26:50 pm
      Wilfried Bony

Swansea City Chairman Huw Jenkins has hinted that Liverpool target Wilfried Bony could be sold by the club in the January transfer window, insisting that the Welsh outfit will consider offers for the forward.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/swansea-city-chairman-huw-jenkins-4900292

Strong striker; 25 years old.....Scored 9 goals already this season.

Will welcome him.

Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Re: Wilfried Bony (Swansea City)
      Reply #1: Jan 02, 2015 05:03:01 pm
      He will go to city 100%
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2: Jan 02, 2015 05:20:12 pm
      No thanks
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3: Jan 02, 2015 05:28:35 pm
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4: Jan 02, 2015 06:25:03 pm

For real? Sure he isn't a world class name or anything but he is a proven goal scorer. Nobody got more goals than him in the league in 2014 and this is for a player in a team like Swansea, have him being supplied by Coutinho and playing in the team with Sterling and Sturridge then surely he will only improve?

I will admit, I wasn't keen when he was linked before but I don't think we can be too fussy. He is a fairly similar player to Sturridge but that can only be a good thing and hopefully they would have the same understanding SAS did. Surely he is an improvement on what we have and I doubt we would get a better option than him. He has a great eye for goal and he would be fairly cheap.

Just a shame its a sh*t source reporting it.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #5: Jan 02, 2015 06:38:59 pm
      For real? Sure he isn't a world class name or anything but he is a proven goal scorer. Nobody got more goals than him in the league in 2014 and this is for a player in a team like Swansea, have him being supplied by Coutinho and playing in the team with Sterling and Sturridge then surely he will only improve?

I will admit, I wasn't keen when he was linked before but I don't think we can be too fussy. He is a fairly similar player to Sturridge but that can only be a good thing and hopefully they would have the same understanding SAS did. Surely he is an improvement on what we have and I doubt we would get a better option than him. He has a great eye for goal and he would be fairly cheap.

Just a shame its a sh*t source reporting it.

I'm not saying he is a bad player, far from it but from everything I have seen of him he wouldn't suit our style and it would be another square peg in a round hole.

He's more target man in style than a Sturridge to me, I'd rather we go and find someone who suits our style than shoehorn someone who doesn't even if I've never heard of them
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #6: Jan 02, 2015 06:42:05 pm
      I'm not saying he is a bad player, far from it but from everything I have seen of him he wouldn't suit our style and it would be another square peg in a round hole.

He's more target man in style than a Sturridge to me, I'd rather we go and find someone who suits our style than shoehorn someone who doesn't even if I've never heard of them

Fair enough mate, but can you suggest anyone who would be the a good fit?

I agree he is more of a target man and I compare him to Sturridge in terms of his movement and ability to create space for himself, maybe more of the target man we should have signed instead of Balotelli. He is also able to play alongside someone or up top by himself.
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #7: Jan 02, 2015 06:57:47 pm

I agree he is more of a target man and I compare him to Sturridge in terms of his movement and ability to create space for himself, maybe more of the target man we should have signed instead of Balotelli. He is also able to play alongside someone or up top by himself.

For me Higuain, Sanchez ( not going to happen ) or a Carlos Tevez type player would suit our system.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #8: Jan 02, 2015 06:59:56 pm

I'm not really one for speculating on potential transfer targets as it's not really something I personally see much point in, the ones I suggest would probably not even get discussed.. I very rarely get involved in the types of thread mate where fans discuss who they would buy or should buy, I have no issue with those who do and enjoy reading it but it's not for me.

Having said that I just think that our scouts/committee should do what they are paid for and go and find players suitable to play the way we do rather than go for what at times recently seems like the obvious and often glaringly wrong choices

Even if Brendan or any manager has no say on the incoming transfers those bringing them in should at least bring in suitable players for the managers style to work with.

For me Bony doesn't suit and therefore should immediately be forgotten.. Find one that does suit, we have seen what happens in very recent times what happens when we sign players who don't suit.. It disrupts and imbalances a whole season

Maybe so if a target man was targeted he would have been a better fit than Balotelli but I just don't get the thought process that you don't bring in players that suit the way you play.

I'd just like us to be creative and sign players who fit rather than trying to make them fit. Players take time to adjust to new clubs at the best of times, to then expect them to change their style or us to change to suit them makes little sense to me
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #9: Jan 02, 2015 07:03:50 pm
      I'm not really one for speculating on potential transfer targets as it's not really something I personally see much point in, the ones I suggest would probably not even get discussed.. I very rarely get involved in the types of thread mate where fans discuss who they would buy or should buy, I have no issue with those who do and enjoy reading it but it's not for me.

Having said that I just think that our scouts/committee should do what they are paid for and go and find players suitable to play the way we do rather than go for what at times recently seems like the obvious and often glaringly wrong choices

Even if Brendan or any manager has no say on the incoming transfers those bringing them in should at least bring in suitable players for the managers style to work with.

For me Bony doesn't suit and therefore should immediately be forgotten.. Find one that does suit, we have seen what happens in very recent times what happens when we sign players who don't suit.. It disrupts and imbalances a whole season

Maybe so if a target man was targeted he would have been a better fit than Balotelli but I just don't get the thought process that you don't bring in players that suit the way you play.

I'd just like us to be creative and sign players who fit rather than trying to make them fit. Players take time to adjust to new clubs at the best of times, to then expect them to change their style or us to change to suit them makes little sense to me

Fair enough mate. Unfortunately I think it will be a case of the "committee" not actually knowing who or what type of player we should be after.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #10: Jan 02, 2015 07:04:55 pm
      Fair enough mate. Unfortunately I think it will be a case of the "committee" not actually knowing who or what type of player we should be after.

That's pretty damning mate if  true

If they don't then I despair
      « Last Edit: Jan 02, 2015 07:15:30 pm by Paisleydalglish »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #11: Jan 02, 2015 07:14:08 pm
      Exactly how I feel, Paisleydalglish. I still don't believe we need an out an out goal scorer. I genuinely would take a huge gamble on Sturridge being fit for the remainder of the season, and with Origi incoming, I think he'll surprise a lot of people here when he's played as a #9 rather that stuck out wide.

The type of striker/forward I really think we need is someone who is exceptional in build up play, able to drop deep, comfortable out wide and capable of holding up play. Not asking for a super world class player, but someone who fits our style of play would be perfect. Players like Welbeck & Kane are the ones I watch regularly, they would be great for us. Firmino who plays deeper but can also play up top or inside forward I feel would be amazing and the ideal choice for me.

I don't have a scouting team and nor do I watch enough games, but I'm 99.9% positively sure there are players out there with the attributes that I mentioned.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,248 posts | 1226 
      Reply #12: Jan 02, 2015 07:19:18 pm
      Not entirely convinced he's the right player for us to be honest, particularly at £19m or whatever it is.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #13: Jan 02, 2015 08:06:27 pm
      Yeah no I would pass on this one.
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #14: Jan 02, 2015 08:53:49 pm
      I think he's a good player who could make the step up, but on purely selfish reasons I don't want a player who goes to the African nations half way through a season.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #15: Jan 02, 2015 09:51:15 pm
      When he does eventually go to City, Chelsea, Real Madrid or whoever it is everyone will soon see that he's a top player. We should have signed him in the summer, but the ship has sailed now.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #16: Jan 02, 2015 09:59:01 pm
      When he does eventually go to City, Chelsea, Real Madrid or whoever it is everyone will soon see that he's a top player. We should have signed him in the summer, but the ship has sailed now.

They maybe suit him more than we do... I bet he wouldn't go to a Barca as he wouldn't suit their style either

I'm not saying he isn't a good player though Mick.. But maybe I don't rate him quite as high as you do mate
      For me if he went to those sides he wouldn't displace their current starters and would eventually move on again back to his level
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #17: Jan 02, 2015 10:54:05 pm
      We had our chance in the summer for £19m and never took it and ended up plumping for Mario Balotelli instead.  :mad:
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #18: Jan 02, 2015 11:12:27 pm
      We had our chance in the summer for £19m and never took it and ended up plumping for Mario Balotelli instead.  :mad:

The lad has banged in nine goals already. Compare that to our Nr 54 and it looks grim.

I guess you win some, and you lose some. We just lost one.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #19: Jan 02, 2015 11:13:41 pm
      They maybe suit him more than we do... I bet he wouldn't go to a Barca as he wouldn't suit their style either

I'm not saying he isn't a good player though Mick.. But maybe I don't rate him quite as high as you do mate
      For me if he went to those sides he wouldn't displace their current starters and would eventually move on again back to his level

I haven't seen enough of Bony or Swansea this season to make proper comment Jon but in what way do you not think he would fit our style as Swansea have traditionally played a brand of football not a million miles away from our own?
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #20: Jan 02, 2015 11:17:46 pm

You're quite right, he is more a target man and not really in "our style", but I would snap him up of he's available for around 20m. My reasoning is this:

Firstly, last year we were shown up when we came up against teams parking the bus and needed a strong player who could hold the ball up, bring in players and crucially, put the ball in the back of the net. Bony would have been perfect. I'm an ever-optimist and I can see us getting back to something close to our best next season, and I don't want to face the same shortcomings again. Now would be a perfect timing.

Secondly, he's not as alien to our style as Balo. Swansea also play with a bit of fluidity and attacking style. He seems to adopt well. He can hold the ball and has a decent pass, wouldn't rock the boat that much.

Thirdly, I also think Studge will get back to fitness and be that striker who can play in our style. I'd even try Sterling and Studge alongside each other, so I reckon we won't need another pacy striker.

I'd give it until end of season to see how Studge holds up. If he doesn't get fit, then raise the funds to go big in summer, otherwise, if we ended up with Studge, Bony, Sterling and Origi as our main strike force next year, I'd be happy. We could offload Lambert, Balo and Borini at will...either now or then tbh.

Plus, I actually really rate him, the boy knows where the goal is, and has been doing it consistently. Sign of quality.
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #21: Jan 02, 2015 11:37:13 pm
      We let Suarez go;

We can't get Aguero;

We won't get Charlie Austin;

Diego Costa isn't so different from other Target men;

If we get Wilfried Bony, it would be a huge Plus! Target man or no target man.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #22: Jan 03, 2015 12:54:47 am
      There'll be too much interest. He'll go wherever pays him the highest wages and that won't be us, will it?

That's the sad reality these days. We can only get the players no one wants.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #23: Jan 03, 2015 03:54:33 am
      Bony was available only a few seasons ago for £12m.  Now if we get him we'll probably pay almost double that.

Same thing happened with Lovren, who moved to Saints for £8m.  We bought him for £20m.

If these players were so great, why didn't we just buy them first?  or is our new transfer policy to let other clubs take chances on players, and then we pay them double what they paid?

I remember when Bony was first mentioned as coming to England, everyone said "oh it's so easy to score goals in the Netherlands, he won't be able to do it here" blah blah blah.  He's just gone and scored 25 goals in 50 games.  For comparison, Borini, who we paid the same amount for, has scored 7 goals in fifty games, four of which were penalties.

I don't know.  I don't care whether we get Bony or not.  but I just wish we would be the ones getting these players on the cheap and not letting them go to other clubs in England who then hold us for ransom.

Wanyama was another one.  He went to Saints for £12m.  Imagine how useful he would have been for us, an athletic DM who can also get forward.  If we wanted him now he'd be £30m probably.  The summer he moved to Saints, we bought Alberto and Aspas for £7m and £8m respectively.  Wanyama is on £35K a week. So with Aspas and Alberto's transfer fees alone (£15m), we would have been able to pay for Wanyama's fee AND his wages up until now. 

But no.  We didn't.

FSG keep banging on about how we're not going to spend exorbitant amounts of money on player transfers etc.  Fine, if we are going to do things on the cheap then let's do that.  But the reality is we have spent more money on terrible players than ever.  And we end up throwing good money after bad anyway---we just do it in baby steps instead of all at once.  No, no, no, we're not going to spend £50m on one player.  Instead we'll just spend £7m on Alberto, £8m on Aspas, £15m on Allen, £11m on Borini, £10m on Mignolet etc etc.  We'll just waste it in little steps instead of all at once!

Ok my rant is over.  I just wish that if we ARE going to avoid spending big, that we would beat the other clubs to the bargain deals instead of giving them massive amounts of money that we could have saved had we beat them to the punch.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #24: Jan 03, 2015 01:06:25 pm

Don't think a team that has Suarez, Messi, Neymar and Pedro need him or anyone else anyway. Alright for some like.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #25: Jan 03, 2015 01:22:35 pm
      I'd definitely take Bony if FSG are willing to stump up the money for him (or somehow manage to shift Balo and/or Borini). He's a very good finisher, can hold the ball up, creates chances and is intelligent in his movement. I reckon this would be a great singing as, in theory, he should produce even more than he does at Swansea with Couts and Sterling feeding him.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #26: Jan 03, 2015 01:26:05 pm
      But he has no pace about him and isnt able to interchange as well. We were so good because Luis and Daniel were superb off the ball in every facet. Tenacious without the ball and constantly pulling defenders out of position.

Bony is just an improved Balotelli to me. He wont fit.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #27: Jan 03, 2015 01:30:34 pm
      Don't think a team that has Suarez, Messi, Neymar and Pedro need him or anyone else anyway. Alright for some like.

:D

Be nice wouldn't it

I have nothing against Bony at all, I just think and would really like if we went out looking for something a bit that no one sees coming that would really suit the way we do things, that would be seamless in the way we play.

Rather than go for the obvious that's had a good year that we end up paying top dollar for all the time and the wriggle room in terms of time to settle. Paying top end leaves the room to not hot the ground running.. The pressure is immense from the get go
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #28: Jan 03, 2015 01:39:06 pm
      Why make the same mistake twice as others have said bony is just a slightly better version of Balotelli.
      We need a striker to complement our pace from Raheem, Couts, Lallana etc ie another Sturridge type of forward who can play across the front line.

Lacazette
      Firminho
      Doumbia

Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #29: Jan 03, 2015 02:29:38 pm
      But he has no pace about him and isnt able to interchange as well. We were so good because Luis and Daniel were superb off the ball in every facet. Tenacious without the ball and constantly pulling defenders out of position.

Bony is just an improved Balotelli to me. He wont fit.
      But we need a striker capable of playing in a front 3 with Sterling and Coutinho and putting away the chances those players create. Bony has shown in the past 18 months he is very capable of doing that.

I don't really see the comparison with Balotelli to be honest; Balo since he has been here has been woeful in pretty much every footballing attribute. Bony might not be lightning quick, but he actually makes intelligent runs rather than just standing still in an offside position like our current CF options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc0IDATSIww

OK Bony isn't as pacy as our forwards from last year, but he isn't statuesque like Balo and Lambert and imo would thrive from all the knock-backs, low crosses and flick-ons from our AM's and FB's. The vid also shows he likes to come short and link play up as well as being adept at shooting from outside the box and being able to outmuscle opposition CB's, thereby winning the ball in dangerous areas for our AM's to run onto and strike.  For these reasons I think he'd be a fantastic CF option to have.

Edit: anyone know how to embed videos on this site?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #30: Jan 03, 2015 09:29:01 pm
      But we need a striker capable of playing in a front 3 with Sterling and Coutinho and putting away the chances those players create. Bony has shown in the past 18 months he is very capable of doing that.

I don't really see the comparison with Balotelli to be honest; Balo since he has been here has been woeful in pretty much every footballing attribute. Bony might not be lightning quick, but he actually makes intelligent runs rather than just standing still in an offside position like our current CF options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc0IDATSIww

OK Bony isn't as pacy as our forwards from last year, but he isn't statuesque like Balo and Lambert and imo would thrive from all the knock-backs, low crosses and flick-ons from our AM's and FB's. The vid also shows he likes to come short and link play up as well as being adept at shooting from outside the box and being able to outmuscle opposition CB's, thereby winning the ball in dangerous areas for our AM's to run onto and strike.  For these reasons I think he'd be a fantastic CF option to have.

Edit: anyone know how to embed videos on this site?

I think we can go out and find someone way more suitable for us to play alongside our attackers. Bony is more of a poacher and we need someone who is more mobile, can interchange across the frontline and can create.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #31: Jan 03, 2015 10:47:40 pm
      I think we can go out and find someone way more suitable for us to play alongside our attackers. Bony is more of a poacher and we need someone who is more mobile, can interchange across the frontline and can create.

I think we'd get a more rounded player than you see at Swansea. He's asked to fulfil a role that suits their style of play. He is a good versatile player and would soon adapt to how we would require him to operate.
      Should have gone for him in the summer when it was clear our main targets had no desire to join us. He was always a better option than Balo, but now if we are lucky enough to prise him away from Citehs clutches, he's gonna cost a hell of a lot more than the £16 mill we could have got him for.  Transfer committee anyone ?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #32: Jan 06, 2015 04:05:59 pm
      City in advanced negotiations to sign Bony for £30 million. F**k me the world really has gone mad!

Anyway safe to say we can lock this thread up.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #33: Jan 06, 2015 04:08:26 pm
      City in advanced negotiations to sign Bony for £30 million. F**k me the world really has gone mad!

Sad thing is that City already have 4 strikers better than anything we have after Sturridge.

5 strikers if they spend £30 million to further improve their strike force on Bony.

£30 million is way too much, however there's always the January premium.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #34: Jan 06, 2015 04:23:30 pm
      Sad thing is that City already have 4 strikers better than anything we have after Sturridge.

5 strikers if they spend £30 million to further improve their strike force on Bony.

£30 million is way too much, however there's always the January premium.

Yup and we could have signed him for £19 million in the Summer but the good old committee deemed Balotelli the better option  :f_steam:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #35: Jan 06, 2015 05:30:45 pm

95 goals in 194 games is a good record though.

League experience as well so I'd say that figure seems about right.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #36: Jan 06, 2015 05:46:31 pm
      Yup and we could have signed him for £19 million in the Summer but the good old committee deemed Balotelli the better option  :f_steam:

Precisely. He is a top player too Baz, I know your eyebrows have shot up at the fee but guaranteed goals cost money. Bony brings guaranteed goals, as well as a bunch of other stuff. Give it six months and people will be queuing up to say what a great player he is.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #37: Jan 06, 2015 06:01:31 pm

I'll tell you one thing - a lot of posters on here were whining when Bony looked likely - I don't know if it happened, but it wouldn't surprise me a single damn on the bloody damn-tree if anyone said something along the lines of "why are we getting Bony from a midtable club, when players like Balotelli look available for less money". So lets have less of this committee bashing at every F***ing opportunity. Its bloody tiring and I'm exhausted as it is.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #38: Jan 06, 2015 06:24:16 pm
      Good luck to him

Still think we can do better than a player who doesn't suit us for 30 million quid though

Not concerned or bothered that he is going there or we have missed out

Roboc83
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #39: Jan 06, 2015 08:37:44 pm
      Imo we missed out big time in the summer with Bony when he was the right price and brought in balotelli instead really think this transfer committee need to be torn apart it just aint working  :f_steam: :f_steam: :f_steam:
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #40: Jan 06, 2015 08:40:43 pm
      I'll tell you one thing - a lot of posters on here were whining when Bony looked likely - I don't know if it happened, but it wouldn't surprise me a single damn on the bloody damn-tree if anyone said something along the lines of "why are we getting Bony from a midtable club, when players like Balotelli look available for less money". So lets have less of this committee bashing at every f**king opportunity. Its bloody tiring and I'm exhausted as it is.

Don't know what you're getting at here mate but I never advocated signing Balotelli over Bony. In fact a few months back I set up the Bony transfer thread in the Summer transfer board I was that excited to see us linked to him. I always wanted Bony over Balotelli.

So I'll bash the committee all I F***ing like thank you very much. After all aren't they the reason we failed to replace Luis and signed two donkeys for strikers??
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #41: Jan 06, 2015 08:43:05 pm
      Good luck to him

Still think we can do better than a player who doesn't suit us for 30 million quid though

Not concerned or bothered that he is going there or we have missed out

Fair enough. So do you think Lambert and Balotelli fit our style more than Bony does?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #42: Jan 06, 2015 08:47:48 pm

Don't know why he'd go to City, never going to be first choice there. Also how true is that because wasnt their spending this season restricted to around 40mill? Which they would obviously break with having already paid 30 for Mangala.

Oh and no, the thread stays open until any sort of deal has been concluded.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #43: Jan 06, 2015 08:48:51 pm
      Precisely. He is a top player too Baz, I know your eyebrows have shot up at the fee but guaranteed goals cost money. Bony brings guaranteed goals, as well as a bunch of other stuff. Give it six months and people will be queuing up to say what a great player he is.

Exactly Mick. Can't understand how some on here are turning their noses up at Bony thinking we can do so much better. The lad had been banging in the goals for two seasons in the PL now. He can score all types of goals, links play, works hard for the team, has good movement off the ball. He will be a very shrewd signing for City. Although I think £30 million is too much but at £19 million he would have been an excellent signing for us. Oh well.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #44: Jan 06, 2015 08:53:06 pm
      Don't know why he'd go to City, never going to be first choice there. Also how true is that because wasnt their spending this season restricted to around 40mill? Which they would obviously break with having already paid 30 for Mangala.

Oh and no, the thread stays open until any sort of deal has been concluded.

Well Aguero gets injured almost as much as Sturridge and they are playing Milner up front at the moment so I think he will get games. Pellegrini doesn't seem to fancy Jovetic and Dzeko.

Don't know how they are getting around the spending restriction the fuckers.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #45: Jan 06, 2015 08:55:01 pm
      Fair enough. So do you think Lambert and Balotelli fit our style more than Bony does?

No but I wouldn't have signed them either.

I personally think Bony is simply a better version of those, and none really suit us.

I'd rather we actually went out and found someone who suits our style.. Someone in the Suarez mould rather than the Balotelli mould

insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #46: Jan 06, 2015 09:10:12 pm

I personally think Bony is simply a better version of those, and none really suit us.

I'd rather we actually went out and found someone who suits our style.. Someone in the Suarez mould rather than the Balotelli mould

Lacazette, Berahino, Vietto, Dybala will all suit our system. Lets see if we get any of those!
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #47: Jan 06, 2015 09:12:55 pm
      Lacazette, Berahino, Vietto, Dybala will all suit our system. Lets see if we get any of those!

This is all I mean, there must be dozens of players more suited to the way we set up that won't comprise us as Balotelli and Lambert have done us
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #48: Jan 06, 2015 09:14:55 pm
      Well Aguero gets injured almost as much as Sturridge and they are playing Milner up front at the moment so I think he will get games. Pellegrini doesn't seem to fancy Jovetic and Dzeko.

Don't know how they are getting around the spending restriction the fuckers.

Milner has only been playing up top because all 3 of the strikers have been injured. Pretty unlikely they will all be out for as long as they have been at the same time again.

Based on what?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #49: Jan 06, 2015 09:16:14 pm
      Thank goodness. And for that price :D
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #50: Jan 06, 2015 09:18:17 pm

Me too mate. Would love Jackson Martinez or Higuain personally. Unfortunately we don't seem to be able to attract the top level players anymore :(
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #51: Jan 06, 2015 09:21:09 pm
      Thank goodness. And for that price :D

Well when he helps City win another title and we have a piss poor season we won't be laughing saying thank goodness.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #52: Jan 06, 2015 09:22:27 pm
      Well when he helps City win another title and we have a piss poor season we won't be laughing saying thank goodness.

Unfortunately very much the case.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #53: Jan 06, 2015 09:24:52 pm

He may win them the league but i don't think he'd be a miracle worker for us. Personally, i don't want to see us spunk out well over the odds for a player who doesn't fit in to the side.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #54: Jan 06, 2015 09:26:29 pm

No guarantee's in life mate he could be their next Scott Sinclair or Jack Rodwell.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #55: Jan 06, 2015 09:26:36 pm
      Personally, i don't want to see us spunk out well over the odds for a player who doesn't fit in to the side.

I don't buy all this about him not being able to fit into our side. The exact same thing was said about Sturridge by a lot of people, certainly doubting whether he would be able to play alongside/in the same team as Suarez because they both want to be playing through the middle. Yet all the doubters were proved wrong big time!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #56: Jan 06, 2015 09:28:36 pm
      I don't buy all this about him not being able to fit into our side. The exact same thing was said about Sturridge by a lot of people, certainly doubting whether he would be able to play alongside/in the same team as Suarez because they both want to be playing through the middle. Yet all the doubters were proved wrong.

Don't buy it if you don't want. But big, strong strikers have performed terrifically for us under Brendan haven't they?

Comparing Bony to Suarez and Sturridge...
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #57: Jan 06, 2015 09:30:22 pm
      I don't buy all this about him not being able to fit into our side. The exact same thing was said about Sturridge by a lot of people, certainly doubting whether he would be able to play alongside/in the same team as Suarez because they both want to be playing through the middle. Yet all the doubters were proved wrong big time!

Sturridge was always the 'type' to fit the way Brendan wants to play, we've seen enough of Bony to see the style he plays.. He's more a target man than a fluid striker like Suarez or Sturridge

Surely surely there are more suitable players out there than the obvious, and likely overpriced latest wonder in the PL
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #58: Jan 06, 2015 09:33:01 pm
      Don't buy it if you don't want. But big, strong strikers have performed terrifically for us under Brendan haven't they?

Comparing Bony to Suarez and Sturridge...

Maybe you should read my post again mate because I didn't compare Bony to them two in the slightest. I said people were proved wrong by doubting that Sturridge would be the type of player we should be signing, there is a massive difference between that and comparing them.

Also Bony isn't just a powerful player, he has a decent amount of pace, is able to beat his man and has good movement and can create a lot of space either for himself or others. Something the other big strong players we have signed over the last few years don't have and can't do.

Sturridge was always the 'type' to fit the way Brendan wants to play, we've seen enough of Bony to see the style he plays..

I agree, but the questions being raised were his attitude and whether we could basically have him and Suarez both playing because where they both want to play.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #59: Jan 06, 2015 09:33:34 pm
      Sturridge was always the 'type' to fit the way Brendan wants to play, we've seen enough of Bony to see the style he plays.. He's more a target man than a fluid striker like Suarez or Sturridge

Surely surely there are more suitable players out there than the obvious, and likely overpriced latest wonder in the PL

There is and we will see him in the next few weeks........Origi...
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #60: Jan 06, 2015 09:42:49 pm
      Imo we missed out big time in the summer with Bony when he was the right price and brought in balotelli instead really think this transfer committee need to be torn apart it just aint working  :f_steam: :f_steam: :f_steam:
      Sack the lot of them .

federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #61: Jan 06, 2015 11:06:49 pm
      Imo we missed out big time in the summer with Bony when he was the right price and brought in balotelli instead

No.  It wasn't this summer when we missed out on him.

It was two summers ago when Swansea bought him for £12m.  THAT was when we should have gone for him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #62: Jan 06, 2015 11:09:31 pm
      No.  It wasn't this summer when we missed out on him.

It was two summers ago when Swansea bought him for £12m.  THAT was when we should have gone for him.

If you are going to be like that we actually missed out on him in the Rafa days when he was on trial with us and we could have signed him for less than a million.
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #63: Jan 07, 2015 12:28:34 am
      No guarantee's in life mate he could be their next Scott Sinclair or Jack Rodwell.

Agreed there aren't any guarantees in life but in the interest of fairness Bony is much more of a sure thing than Sinclair and Rodwell ever were. Rodwell and Sinclair weren't the reliable week in week out performers Bony is. Sinclair was still mastering the art of taking the ball with him whilst he ran and Rodwell was still 90% hype, 9% potential and 1% talent (now he's just 100% gash).

I just think if City can accommodate someone like Dzeko then Bony will be just fine.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #64: Jan 07, 2015 02:18:48 am
      Maybe you should read my post again mate because I didn't compare Bony to them two in the slightest. I said people were proved wrong by doubting that Sturridge would be the type of player we should be signing, there is a massive difference between that and comparing them.

Also Bony isn't just a powerful player, he has a decent amount of pace, is able to beat his man and has good movement and can create a lot of space either for himself or others. Something the other big strong players we have signed over the last few years don't have and can't do.

At least Sturridge had the profile and style to play for us. Bony doesn't graft off the ball, doesn't have excessive pace or a turn of speed like Luis or Sturridge and he couldn't interchange with our other attackers.

The beauty of last season was that the SaSaS could play anywhere up front and if one dropped off, the other two could get up the pitch. Bony would make us way too static to return to that and he'd cost a chunk.

I'm glad we haven't signed him, but i can see why City will sign him. He will fit them moreso than us.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #65: Jan 07, 2015 06:05:10 am
      seen reports this morning that City are about to sign him for £30m.  I mean I don't think Bony is by any means a bad player but F***ing hell, £30m?!  have they lost the plot??!?

is he better than Dzeko?  no.  is he better than Aguero?  hell no.  F**k's sake if push comes to shove they can play Jovetic or even Silva as a striker.  £30m on Bony is just absurd.  We paid £23m for SUAREZ.  They paid £38m for Aguero.  How on earth is Bony worth £30m?

I think (hope) this one is going to come back to bite them in the arse.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #66: Jan 07, 2015 06:32:10 am
      seen reports this morning that City are about to sign him for £30m.  I mean I don't think Bony is by any means a bad player but f**king hell, £30m?!  have they lost the plot??!?

is he better than Dzeko?  no.  is he better than Aguero?  hell no.  F**k's sake if push comes to shove they can play Jovetic or even Silva as a striker.  £30m on Bony is just absurd.  We paid £23m for SUAREZ.  They paid £38m for Aguero.  How on earth is Bony worth £30m?

I think (hope) this one is going to come back to bite them in the arse.

But they only paid 50 million for Torres, that was a successful deal---------------------for us.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #67: Jan 07, 2015 06:59:50 am
      Bony is better than Dzeko, just saying
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #68: Jan 07, 2015 07:42:58 am
      Bony is better than Dzeko, just saying

you really think so?

I'd rather have Dzeko here than Bony.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #69: Jan 07, 2015 09:06:00 am
      you really think so?

I'd rather have Dzeko here than Bony.

Dzeko is a very inconsistent goal scorer and not the most mobile player. I'd rather have Bony.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,739 posts | 158 
      Reply #70: Jan 07, 2015 09:27:07 am
      They don't give a sh*t about spending £30m cause they got money something we don't have. Bony will suit them more even though I think he's not an upgrade to what they got. They could easily go for lacazette or benteke much better options.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #71: Jan 07, 2015 09:29:30 am
      They don't give a sh*t about spending £30m cause they got money something we don't have. Bony will suit them more even though I think he's not an upgrade to what they got. They could easily go for lacazette or benteke much better options.

Benteke is hugely overrated and not a patch on Bony.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,739 posts | 158 
      Reply #72: Jan 07, 2015 09:37:24 am
      I moaned when we got linked to bony and I'm so glad that he's going to city, imagine the meltdown here if we were willing to spend that amount of money on him. I don't think he's that good for our playstyle, because we don't have creative players and a strong midfield like city does. I think he's gonna do well at City and score some goals there but I'm not gonna cry that we missed him, and let's honest some people were not happy about bony here saying that he's average mid table and they were few comments here and I can say that cause Iwas one of them.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #73: Jan 07, 2015 09:45:47 am
      Good player - hell good enough in the right system that 30 million isn't absurdly overpriced in today's market. But no good at all for us. And I'm not sure that city has the right system for him though. I think they may regret this one.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #74: Jan 07, 2015 09:53:01 am
      Bony is a direct replacement for Negredo. One lump for another.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,497 posts | 2868 
      Reply #75: Jan 07, 2015 09:53:15 am
      With the way the fullbacks bomb on and get to the byeline at City and Silva/Nasri pop up everywhere he's going to get tonnes of chances there and no doubt he's going to bag plenty of goals for them. They are getting more than 20m in the summer for Negredo so it's a decent move for them.

Obviously in hindsight I would have taken him at 19m over Balotelli at 16m but that's gone and right now I can't say I'm too bothered by this. If we're going to spend 30m on a striker it's got to be one that suits our system a lot better.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #76: Jan 07, 2015 11:28:25 am
      Bony will be an absolute smash hit for them IMHO. He would've been for us too.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #77: Jan 07, 2015 11:33:11 am
      Bony will be an absolute smash hit for them IMHO. He would've been for us too.

Mick you know I respect your opinion mate but I don't share this one that he would have been great for us.

Out of friendly banter mate let's have a little side bet on Bony should he sign for City. How many do you think he will get for them before the end of the season?
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #78: Jan 07, 2015 11:49:37 am

Told you last week.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #79: Jan 07, 2015 11:55:17 am
      Mick you know I respect your opinion mate but I don't share this one that he would have been great for us.

Out of friendly banter mate let's have a little side bet on Bony should he sign for City. How many do you think he will get for them before the end of the season?

Well he won't be taking penos for them mate so it'll have to be from open play. Equally, I'm not sure how much game time he'll get. How about 0.6 goals a game ( I'll even include 5 minute cameos off the bench as a game) from when he signs till the end of the season? A friendly £10 if you're up for it mate?

I think he'll absolutely rip it up.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #80: Jan 07, 2015 11:59:36 am
      Well he won't be taking penos for them mate so it'll have to be from open play. Equally, I'm not sure how much game time he'll get. How about 0.6 goals a game ( I'll even include 5 minute cameos off the bench as a game) from when he signs till the end of the season? A friendly £10 if you're up for it mate?

I think he'll absolutely rip it up.

Ok I'll go with that.. Any less than 0.6 GPG and I win, anything above and you win.

[Smart way of doing it like from your way as he'll only probably play 3 games or something between now and May and get one or two off his arse in 7-0 wins  :D ]

Next time I'm in your neck of the woods I'll pop in for a drink.. From what Dave's said £10 should be enough for a half  ;)
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #81: Jan 07, 2015 12:04:04 pm
      Ok I'll go with that.. Any less than 0.6 GPG and I win, anything above and you win.

[Smart way of doing it like from your way as he'll only probably play 3 games or something between now and May and get one or two off his arse in 7-0 wins  :D ]

Next time I'm in your neck of the woods I'll pop in for a drink.. From what Dave's said £10 should be enough for a half  ;)

Haha he's about right mate. Cheaper when you know me though (that is if unlike Dave you'll actually let me get a round in!). Do it though mate, always nice to meet fellow reds.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #82: Jan 07, 2015 12:06:35 pm

I'll be throwing stuff at the telly though mate if they bring him on in the 92nd minute to waste time!

BTW, if anyone else wants to have a go for a tenner with the "loser" paying to the HJC I'm up for it.

« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2015 12:22:09 pm by bigmick »
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #83: Jan 07, 2015 12:28:05 pm
      I'll be throwing stuff at the telly though mate if they bring him on in the 92nd minute to waste time!

BTW, if anyone else wants to have a go for a tenner with the "loser" paying to the HJC I'm up for it.

Count me in bigmick. Anything for a good cause.

For the record though, Bony wouldn't suit our pressing game.

He couldn't press a pair of trousers!  :laugh:

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #84: Jan 07, 2015 12:34:23 pm
      Count me in bigmick. Anything for a good cause.

For the record though, Bony wouldn't suit our pressing game.

He couldn't press a pair of trousers!  :laugh:

Haha very true. Fair enoughski though mate, in for a tenner you are.

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #85: Jan 07, 2015 03:24:42 pm
      For what it's worth, I think Bony will do well at City. Their system can accommodate target men much better than ours can, as evidence by the goals scored by Negredo (first half of last season only) and Dzeko.

As for the fee, it's City. £30m doesn't mean anything to them.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #86: Jan 07, 2015 11:48:47 pm
      Bony will do well anywhere really. Sure he's intelligent enough to adapt his game to suit various strategies. He won't get many starts at city once their all star forwards are fit again. He's a £30mill make weight due to the injuries, and cities desperation to hang on to the prem title. He'll spend most of his time on the bench following the next 3 weeks.

Quick Reply