Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Gerrard's last six months: What's the best course of action?

Read 7882 times
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: Gerrard's last six months: What's the best course of action?
      Reply #23: Jan 03, 2015 06:17:28 pm
      Do you mean this year mate?

Coutinho and Sterling have been better than Stevie this season.
      If they are mate they'd want to start showing it in goals , as much as Coutinho creates his shots on goal are lame as are Sterling's . I know his legs are gone i'm not disputing it but can you honestly tell me any one of those lads will ever reach Gerrards level and if they can't does it not disturb you as to where we'll find ourselves if we can't find a player of his ilk . I'm looking at that squad and for the life of me i can't see 1 .

trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #24: Jan 03, 2015 06:36:57 pm
      Its funny but I was watching MOTD with my son and of all people, Robbie savage said something that could work out for us playing our current formation. He pointed out that Can was playing at CB and it was so he can bring the ball out of defence better than Toure, which we all know. Savage said why cant Gerrard play in that position and TBH why cant he.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #25: Jan 03, 2015 06:50:31 pm
      We're struggling for goals. Try him as a striker. It's not like he doesn't know how to score and he wouldn't need to run as much as a midfielder. Certainly a better finisher than Raheem. He may relish the chance until Studge is back...

He might be a better finisher but it would mean completely changing the way we play.

Our midfield is finally managing to produce quick throughballs on the ground that allow pacy strikers to run behind defences and finish; Stevie with age is now lacking the ability to accelerate in constant short bursts which is why we are constantly seeing him getting skinned in the middle of the park.

If we pplay him as a striker it will be to utuilise his long range shooting, hold-up play and heading ability. If we were good at lofted through balls and crosses, Lambert and Balotelii would have been knocking them in by the bagful.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #26: Jan 03, 2015 07:42:25 pm
      Each MLS team will play 30 games one home, one away, against each of the other teams for a total of 240 games from March 25 to Oct. 24,

Does this mean once he had chosen a team to join he could, in effect, start playing for them straight after our season finishes in May?

If he doesn't then waiting until March 2016 to play competitive football again is a long time for him and his body.. isn't it?

Just saying like....

Bier
      Reply #27: Jan 03, 2015 07:47:38 pm
      Each MLS team will play 30 games one home, one away, against each of the other teams for a total of 240 games from March 25 to Oct. 24, 2010.

Does this mean once he had chosen a team to join he could, in effect, start playing for them straight after our season finishes in May?

If he doesn't then waiting until March 2016 to play competitive football again is a long time for him and his body.. isn't it?

Just saying like....

He can start playing for them mid season though, if he wishes to. Take a short vacation first. He's out of contract after this season, so he can start whenever he wants. Besides, from October till December is the play offs season.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #28: Jan 03, 2015 07:51:05 pm
      He can start playing for them mid season though, if he wishes too.

okay... jeez,  he could end up with a title medal after playing for 4 months...madness !
      Bier
      Reply #29: Jan 03, 2015 07:56:53 pm
      okay... jeez,  he could end up with a title medal after playing for 4 months...madness !

Well yeah, allthough the finals for their title playoffs aren't untill december. But any player coming to a Premier League club in late january could win a title in 5 months too.
      Koppite1977
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #30: Jan 03, 2015 07:58:54 pm
      Hello reds, I would like to get a campaign going, so I'm visiting as many forums and fan sites as I can. As a mark if respect and to honour our captain, when next seasons home shirt is released I'd like everyone who buys it to have GERRARD 8 printed on the back. I'm hoping to get plenty of fans on board with this who can help spread the word. Thanks for reading my friends.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #31: Jan 03, 2015 08:11:40 pm
      Well yeah, allthough the finals for their title playoffs aren't untill december. But any player coming to a Premier League club in late january could win a title in 5 months too.

True mate.. never thought of it the other way round..

It will be interesting how BR (is told) how to play him from here on in.. he'll need to be in top condition to play for his new club come May/June.. or will he turn up knackered for his first training session...
      I'd rather the latter after bagging us a couple of Trophies..

This next month or so will shed more light on it i'm certain..

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,373 posts | 1541 
      Reply #32: Jan 03, 2015 08:33:24 pm
      I think he should finish off, playing less minutes, but playing in an attacking C mid role. He can go out on a high then, where he can have a real impact on games, instead of being slated for being too slow to cover the ground at Def mid.
      It can only be to our benefit, it's his natural role. I'm sure he'd be happier with it as well.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #33: Jan 03, 2015 08:52:16 pm
      If they are mate they'd want to start showing it in goals , as much as Coutinho creates his shots on goal are lame as are Sterling's . I know his legs are gone i'm not disputing it but can you honestly tell me any one of those lads will ever reach Gerrards level and if they can't does it not disturb you as to where we'll find ourselves if we can't find a player of his ilk . I'm looking at that squad and for the life of me i can't see 1 .

No I don't think they'll reach Stevie's level but that's not a slight on them, that's simply how good Stevie has been for Liverpool Football Club. That doesn't mean though they won't be great players for the club as well though.

As for where we'll find ourselves when Stevie leaves, I worried a lot about that many years ago. At present though, I think we're much better suited to deal with his absence than we once where. While we may not find a like for like replacement for Stevie, let's be honest who in the world could replace him? We've got a couple of good players in the middle who can do a job for us. Henderson, Can, Coutinho is a good, solid midfield trio (in my opinion)

I've also for many years wanted us to sign Cabaye. He, to me, would be the best like for like replacement of Stevie.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #34: Jan 03, 2015 09:17:14 pm
      He can play every game for me.... come on at 60+min and partner whomever up top. Would much prefer Gerrard to come on as opposed to our 3 current "cant find the net" strikers.

Danny and Gerrard up top could be great.

Wherever he is played, will be great to watch every last minute of him.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #35: Jan 03, 2015 09:35:44 pm
      Each MLS team will play 30 games one home, one away, against each of the other teams for a total of 240 games from March 25 to Oct. 24,

Just saying like....

Nah mate, MLS is a 34-game regular season, with playoffs at the end. So, at most, it's a 40 game season if you reach the final as a play-in.

Gerrard can join the league at any point. Most likely is he'll join in July.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36: Jan 03, 2015 09:44:19 pm
      I'd strip him of the captaincy with immediate effect and play him as a sub if needed.  To be honest we are a far better team without him anyway.

A great great player in his day but those days have now come to an end.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,675 posts | 6969 
      Reply #37: Jan 03, 2015 10:17:31 pm
      We can make him an impact sub, enabling players like Henderson and Can develop a rapport and partnership knowing they're the future, but will that help us win trophies now?

If I was a manager this would be my thinking, but I would imagine Brendan will prefer to play him every other game.  I think it's vital that new players and new partnerships are developed.  I'd use Gerrard further forward and concentrate on developing a backbone in the side that we will use next season. 

I'd strip him of the captaincy with immediate effect

Before the announcement I was thinking about the captaincy issue, but now that it's all real I don't think it would serve any purpose to take the club captaincy off him and it would look vindictive.  It's not going to help us and will most likely make things worse.

Leave that as it is - what would we do if he suffered a cruciate injury?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,640 posts | 3867 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #38: Jan 03, 2015 11:04:41 pm
      Stop playing him for 90 minutes.

Let him boss it for an hour and then move Hendo or Can central.

That or stick with the Lucas/Hendo pairing.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4956 
      Reply #39: Jan 03, 2015 11:43:16 pm
      He plays if his form merits it. Simply as that.

Personally in the immediate short term I'd like to see him as Brendan's impact sub and used further forward for the last 30 minutes or so.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #40: Jan 04, 2015 12:07:02 am

Personally in the immediate short term I'd like to see him as Brendan's impact sub and used further forward for the last 30 minutes or so.

I'd certainly use him further forward but I would switch between starting and impact sub. And in the Derby he plays centre mid for me.
      Begs
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 112 posts | 13 
      Reply #41: Jan 04, 2015 02:18:10 am

I think this is a great solution if we are in the top part of the table. 4th-6th, sure, lets put a team out there to compete. But honestly i think he has earned the right start at anfield for the remaining games in this campaign. I don't think we are top 4 team this year. I don't fear relegation. So at that point whats the difference between 6th and 15th?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,847 posts | 6788 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #42: Jan 04, 2015 08:18:52 am
      Put him in the Number 10 role, on the hour mark, coming off the bench for when Couts gets tired.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,459 posts | 2852 
      Reply #43: Jan 04, 2015 12:12:10 pm
      I'd strip him of the captaincy with immediate effect

Yeah let's just stick him in the reserves for 6 months as well eh?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #44: Jan 04, 2015 12:18:46 pm
      I'd like to think Brendan will use the time to instill how we're going to play without him.  Use him by all means but not if it disrupts our usual game.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #45: Jan 04, 2015 12:26:56 pm
      Yeah let's just stick him in the reserves for 6 months as well eh?

Well in all honesty it would have been far better if he just left now, how much respect will he command as captain when they all know he has half an eye on his new life in the US. He should have showed some class and waited until the end of the season instead of acting like a spoiled child and throwing his toys out of the pram just because the club don't want to keep him as the highest earner. Add to this the fact that he just gets worse and worse and the reserves might actually be an ok option.

Quick Reply