Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Gerrard's last six months: What's the best course of action?

Read 7934 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Gerrard's last six months: What's the best course of action?
      Jan 03, 2015 02:55:02 pm
      I thought it would be a good idea to have a separate thread for discussing Gerrard's last months purely from a football perspective.

What's the best course of action for knowing he'll be gone in 6 months?

---We can stick him in an attacking role and tell him to give us everything he's got for 60 minutes, but does that help us long term?
      ---We can make him an impact sub, enabling players like Henderson and Can develop a rapport and partnership knowing they're the future, but will that help us win trophies now?
      ---We can go out and splash cash on a top quality CM to arrive either now or in six months. And so on.

Thoughts?
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Re: Gerrard's last six months: What's the best course of action?
      Reply #1: Jan 03, 2015 03:25:29 pm
      Suppose the best way to utilise the last six months of his Liverpool career is to just play him when he fits the team just like any other player.
      Myself and many on the forum are not a fan of the Lucas /. Gerrard midfield duo so that should stop as was seen against Swansea .
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #2: Jan 03, 2015 03:53:17 pm
      We're struggling for goals. Try him as a striker. It's not like he doesn't know how to score and he wouldn't need to run as much as a midfielder. Certainly a better finisher than Raheem. He may relish the chance until Studge is back...
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,144 posts | 3383 
      Reply #3: Jan 03, 2015 03:56:54 pm
      Pick him if he's on form, don't pick him if he isn't.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #4: Jan 03, 2015 03:56:56 pm
      ^suggested that a bit ago .why not?
      Would prefer him coming of the bench with 1/2 hr left or on at half time if struggling tbh.
      With his shooting ability again why not?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,984 posts | 5042 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #5: Jan 03, 2015 04:05:52 pm
      Don't change a damn thing, if he's playing just enjoy and be privileged to see a true legend in action,
      We all know he's not at his best but he's still the best player we have ,
      And those lucky enough to be at Anfield should cheer everytime he touches the ball, and give a standing ovation whether he enters or exits the pitch.

YNWA
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #6: Jan 03, 2015 04:09:38 pm
      Best course of action = what is best for LFC.

No one is bigger than the club.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #7: Jan 03, 2015 04:10:07 pm
      Best course of action would have been to not announce it half way through the season...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #8: Jan 03, 2015 04:18:12 pm

I want to say this but the last 6 months of Stevie's career here i'm going to be selfish and say play him whenever we can. I can't come to grips with not seeing him beyond this season :(
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #9: Jan 03, 2015 04:20:37 pm
      I want to say this but the last 6 months of Stevie's career here i'm going to be selfish and say play him whenever we can. I can't come to grips with not seeing him beyond this season :(

You can sit overnight over a crappy stream and watch him as much as you like  ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #10: Jan 03, 2015 04:23:08 pm
      You can sit overnight over a crappy stream and watch him as much as you like  ;)

MLS is on ESPN here so i'll watch him still but it'll hurt.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,328 posts | 773 
      Reply #11: Jan 03, 2015 04:34:31 pm
      Personally I would love the Reds to win a trophy, to mark the end Stevie's career at the club. Preferably the Europa league.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,508 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #12: Jan 03, 2015 04:44:42 pm
      When does the MLS start and finish? Wouldn't be surprised to see him come back on loan or some mad sh*t like that.

and this to the OP.

Would hope it galvanises everybody to step it up a notch and have him finish up with a trophy in his hands.
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,391 posts | 1025 
      Reply #13: Jan 03, 2015 04:47:30 pm
      Best course of action would have been to not announce it half way through the season...

To be fair to him, I think he's done it with the best of intentions. There was always going to be speculation about him, while a new contract wasn't signed, at least we all know now and the club can hopefully handle his leaving better than they have some!

dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,144 posts | 3383 
      Reply #14: Jan 03, 2015 04:55:23 pm

Look mate, nobody loves Steven Gerrard more than me but the best for Liverpool has to come first. If Stevie isn't performing, which he hasn't been this year, then he shouldn't play.

However, final game of the season (hopefully a Cup final) we should give Stevie his final outing in the proper fashion.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #15: Jan 03, 2015 05:07:52 pm
      We all know he's not at his best but he's still the best player we have ,
      That says a lot about the squad mate , at 34yrs and he's making our 24yr old players look mediocre . I think it actually should be the other way around but i can't actually think of any of our players that can grab the game by the scruff of the neck like Gerrard could do .

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #16: Jan 03, 2015 05:12:32 pm
      That says a lot about the squad mate , at 34yrs and he's making our 24yr old players look mediocre . I think it actually should be the other way around but i can't actually think of any of our players that can grab the game by the scruff of the neck like Gerrard could do .

Not exactly true is it?  Seeing as though he has been mediocre at best himself....!!

A lot of people are confusing the Gerrard of the past to the current one.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #17: Jan 03, 2015 05:18:10 pm
      Not exactly true is it?  Seeing as though he has been mediocre at best himself....!!

A lot of people are confusing the Gerrard of the past to the current one.
      Your statement says it all mate , yes he's been a shadow of his former self yet he's still our best .What player on the starting 11 can you clearly say is better than him .

dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,144 posts | 3383 
      Reply #18: Jan 03, 2015 05:21:25 pm
      Your statement says it all mate , yes he's been a shadow of his former self yet he's still our best .What player on the starting 11 can you clearly say is better than him .

Do you mean this year mate?

Coutinho and Sterling have been better than Stevie this season.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #19: Jan 03, 2015 05:22:03 pm
      Think the announcement should take most of the heat out of the debate (on his future), and some of the pressure off BR when deciding to play/not play him. Which I think should be a good thing - as long as SG keeps his focus and doesn't take his foot off the gas, which am sure he won't, pro that he is.

Could we see SG starting fewer games as the season gets into the second half, and be used more as an impact sub ... with BR starting the transition now and focusing more on future CM combinations eg. Can/Hendo? Might make sense, could argue might be good idea to start adjusting to life without SG asap. But I'm not so sure he will - BR is constantly talking up SG so reckon the season will go on pretty much as it has so far - SG playing regularly, and starting the bigger games. Would hope that BR ends the SG/Lucas combo though, not doing anyone any favours that one.

And I'd expect Stevie to get a really good reaction from the fans ... the long farewell starts here...

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #20: Jan 03, 2015 05:24:39 pm
      To be fair to him, I think he's done it with the best of intentions. There was always going to be speculation about him, while a new contract wasn't signed, at least we all know now and the club can hopefully handle his leaving better than they have some!

yeah maybe handle it like Suarez. The club knew he would be leaving and had time to find a suitable replacement for him.

Oh yeah, that worked well...

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #21: Jan 03, 2015 05:25:43 pm
      Look mate, nobody loves Steven Gerrard more than me but the best for Liverpool has to come first. If Stevie isn't performing, which he hasn't been this year, then he shouldn't play.

However, final game of the season (hopefully a Cup final) we should give Stevie his final outing in the proper fashion.

I know mate. I'm just in denial.
      Begs
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 112 posts | 13 
      Reply #22: Jan 03, 2015 05:49:00 pm
      Hello lads, My first post here. Awesome forum, so glad I found other people to talk about LFC with.

I think the #1 thing the club has to do with him is START him in EVERY home game, regardless of form or not. Stevie G has been a legend around Anfield and to think that people could go to a match and NOT see him would be tragic. I know myself, for example, am trying to get to Anfield for my first match and to see Stevie G in red. If i made all that effort to get there and he wasn't in the starting 11 i would be heart broken.

just my thought...

Quick Reply