Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 27th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D2 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.8%)
      Emre Can
      61 (46.9%)
      Martin Skrtel
      2 (1.5%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      0 (0%)
      Lazar Markovic
      0 (0%)
      Joe Allen
      1 (0.8%)
      Steven Gerrard
      2 (1.5%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      58 (44.6%)
      Raheem Sterling
      5 (3.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Fabio Borini
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 126

Voting closed: Feb 08, 2015 09:54:59 pm

Bolton 1-2 Liverpool (FA Cup R4 Replay): In game and Post Match celebration

Read 44726 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Re: Bolton 1-2 Liverpool (FA Cup R4 Replay): In game and Post Match celebration
      Reply #598: Feb 04, 2015 10:15:20 pm
      Gerrard and Allen's job in this set-up is to protect the back three, keep the ball moving and get the ball to Lallana, Sterling and Coutinho. They were both fairly effective in the role. Just because the skipper isn't Roy of the Rovers tonight and Allen simply gives a workmanlike performance doesn't mean they have stunk the joint out. There is nothing wrong with a 7/10 performance, maybe a 6.5/10.

final ball let us down for much of the match tonight. That isn't the fault of Stevie or Joe Allen.

We don't play with 2 defensive Mids so Gerrard was the one who needed to provide more attacking content. But it's difficult to see Gerrard making those sort of runs at his age, just a shame his set piece was awful today.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #599: Feb 04, 2015 10:18:46 pm
      Think Lucas was injured for tonight but still. The game passed him by at times and he looked fu**ed towards the end.

Don't see how he starts especially now Sturridge is back and Can has just showed us his beast mode in midfield.

Agree.

Think it's nice that Can has now become that good most don't know where his best position will be (although I think nearly all would suggest centre mid) but everyone wants him in the side no matter what.

Very big future, I hope many years of it spent with us.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #600: Feb 04, 2015 10:22:12 pm
      Only 2 dissapointing tonight for me were Moreno and Marko, didn't offer much going forward and holy sh*t no where to be seen on occasion when Bolton were attacking.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #601: Feb 04, 2015 10:23:06 pm
      Coutinho was unplayable first half. Such a joy to watch.
      But Can just edged it for MOTM for those last 20 minutes when he moved to the middle. CAN't wait for him to start playing there regularly! The lad has everything to become one of world's best in that position.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #602: Feb 04, 2015 10:24:04 pm
      Can MOTM for me.
      Can play anywhere he wants that lad
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,138 posts | 3380 
      Reply #603: Feb 04, 2015 10:25:03 pm
      Thoroughly deserved win. The match at Anfield we twatted them only for their keeper to be man of the match, tonight we again twatted them only for their keeper to again be man of the match (for them) and the woodwork to hinder us again. It was Kenny's reign all over again.

Penalty never was. Skrtel didn't touch him. But I can see why it was given - especially by a ref who fu**ed up most of the decisions. The red card was two clear yellow cards, couldn't exactly get those wrong. They were clear as F**k. The linesman was just as sh*t though, couple of offisdes given when we were on. Just typical bad officiating against us in Lancashire. Should be F***ing used to it by now.

Mignolet continues to get better. And you can see the confidence flooding through him with every passing game. He's becoming more commanding of his area, claiming the ball more regularly and his all round play has improved ten fold from this time just two months ago.

Can was indifferent first half and the lad isn't a centre half. But moving into the middle of the park of the second, we got a glimpse of what the lad can do. One run in particular where he just knocked everybody out of his way, a belting effort onto the bar and what a pass for our equaliser. It was a fantastic central midfield performance.

Skrtel was sound again. This system has probably brought the best out of him as much as anybody (maybe with the exception of Mignolet). People talk about how it's improved Coutinho and Sterling but even in our bad days, they still showed some class. Skrtel though is probably going through his best patch in a Liverpool shirt for a good five years.

Sakho was immense first half, don't think he was great in the second though. More and more of Bolton's attacks came down our left in the second forty-five and I was disappointed to see when they were winning headers in our box, Mammy Do was only just getting ready to leap. But that's a problem for our whole defence to be fair, we either don't jump or jump far too late.

Markovic put in one of his worst Liverpool performances. It's amazing to think he was playing in the same position when he tore Sunderland apart but has steadily got worse over the last few weeks. From a time when he should of kicked on, he's regressed unfortunately. I don't think he's a right sided midfielder, rather an out and our winger. Which leaves him at a bit of a loss in the current system.

Gerrard celebrated his 700th game by doing F**k all. Delivery was poor, passing generally was poor, tackling was non-existent, all round done nothing. Not bad from the fella who promised to give us his all in his remaining months as a Liverpool player.

Allen was on the pitch. And apart from getting kicked twice which resulted in Danns being sent off, he done nothing. How he plays for Liverpool is beyond me.

Moreno constantly offered us an out ball down the left. Whenever things got congested in the middle, he was out wide offering us the width. (Something Markovic could take note of). Unfortunately for Albert though his crossing is F***ing useless. Never seems to beat the first man. And his dive in their box was comical, how he didn't get booked I don't know.

Lallana was once again a flash in the pan kind of player. The odd little turn here and there doesn't cover up that he was piss poor and continues to prove why he shouldn't get into our best XI. He's not on the same level as Coutinho, Sterling and Sturridge.

Coutinho almost suffered from his 45 minute disease because after tormenting Bolton for the entire first half, he disappeared for a chunk of the second. But in the last twenty minutes or so, he came up trumps again. A belting effort to clinch the win. What a way to celebrate his new contract.

Sterling was busy in the first half with little reward. The lad isn't a centre forward - or certainly not a lone forward anyway. But one thing you can say about our Raheem is he keeps on trying. Despite being kicked to kingdom come, he carried on time and time again eventually getting his reward with a well taken finish from Can's great ball.

Henderson put in the sort of performance we've come to expect from him. Kept it tidy, kept the ball moving but didn't do anything of any real note. Looked to have a decent effort blocked but apart from that the only other thing I really remember from Jordy is telling the linesman when we didn't get a throw in.

Borini do I really have to comment on yet another pointless performance from him? OK. He was sh*t. My hopes lifted slightly when I saw him hobbling off, they were dashed when he came running back on though.

Sturridge couple of heavy touches (as well as that perfect pass into Borini's path) but instantly you can see how much we've missed him. His movement is already there, which gives us more attacking threat.

All in all, we deserved the victory. We're through. And we can enjoy a continued FA Cup run.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #604: Feb 04, 2015 10:25:56 pm
      I'd rather we gave up on corners and just played them short.

We are f**king sh*te at them and have been for many a year.

I'd actually go along with this, we might as well start treating corners like throw ins an dplay them short, I actually think it would give us a better chanceof profiting form them.

All in all I thought it was a good performance and we 100% deserved the win. depressing that Stevie just seems to be getting worse and worse and the less said about Allen the better. Borini even though he's a bit crap at keast gives it 110% each tiem hes on the pitch, you have to give him that, plus he makes a nuisance of himself.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #605: Feb 04, 2015 10:26:47 pm
      Bolton boss Neil Lennon: "I'm not happy with the referee tonight at all. Neil Danns' first yellow card was not a booking and I'm not convinced that our penalty was a penalty either."

Fair play
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #606: Feb 04, 2015 10:27:15 pm
      Sakho was a beast again, long way for Future Captain to get back in at this rate.

Yeah to be honest, for 70 minutes I was thinking SAkho for motm. I thought he was outstanding, as good with the ball as he was without it. Of all the players at the club he is the one who has made the biggest strides this season for me. Strong and aggressive in his defending, he is staying on his feet this season and his passing has been superb, I also like the way he gets the ball out of his feet quickly and travels with the ball to commit the opposition before delivering the ball.

Also, what a different player Mignolet looks now, quick off his line, assertive and confident. Massive improvement.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #607: Feb 04, 2015 10:28:25 pm
      Henderson put in the sort of performance we've come to expect from him. Kept it tidy, kept the ball moving but didn't do anything of any real note. Looked to have a decent effort blocked but apart from that the only other thing I really remember from Jordy is telling the linesman when we didn't get a throw in.

This is my favourite bit about Hendo. He could smack the ball in to row Z and if he does't get the throw in he abuses the linesman to F**k! :D Always the same "FOOK OFF!" reaction too. Love it.

Good post Billy. Think i agree with most of it.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #608: Feb 04, 2015 10:29:59 pm
      Despite being on the pitch only 60 odd minutes, Allen still made the joint most tackles and interceptions in the team. Did his job. Unspectacular but decent. Also, remember he dispossessed Bolton to force danns getting sent off.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #609: Feb 04, 2015 10:30:32 pm
      That's how I think it is looking and how I'd go as well mate at the weekend so the boss has got it right if that's the case.

Agreed.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #610: Feb 04, 2015 10:30:51 pm
      Sorry to bang this drum, but people saying Allen was bad are not very attentive.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,343 posts | 4964 
      Reply #611: Feb 04, 2015 10:32:00 pm
      Sorry to bang this drum, but people saying Allen was bad are not very attentive.

Maybe you're missing something mate?

I thought both him and Gerrard were pretty poor.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #612: Feb 04, 2015 10:32:34 pm
      Bolton boss Neil Lennon: "I'm not happy with the referee tonight at all. Neil Danns' first yellow card was not a booking and I'm not convinced that our penalty was a penalty either."

Fair play

I've liked Lennon more since he started doing a bit of punditry after the Celtic gig. I think if he is going to slag the ref off though then he is going to have to include all the sh*t his team got away with.
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #613: Feb 04, 2015 10:33:33 pm
      We don't play with 2 defensive Mids so Gerrard was the one who needed to provide more attacking content. But it's difficult to see Gerrard making those sort of runs at his age, just a shame his set piece was awful today.

Says who? When you have Lucas in there you can pigeon hole him as the defensive player and then his partner (be it Henderson or Stevie) can naturally play a little further forward at times. But tonight when there is no Lucas we saw two players who played fairly conservatively, kept the shape of the team together and kept things ticking over. Sometimes Gerrard was a deeper, other times it was Allen. The days of Stevie bursting past players and travelling long distances with the ball are long gone  so it's unfair to ask him to do it BUT he was fairly solid tonight, he made runs beyond the forwards at times and did his share of marking, tracking and tackling.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,138 posts | 3380 
      Reply #614: Feb 04, 2015 10:33:34 pm
      This is my favourite bit about Hendo. He could smack the ball in to row Z and if he does't get the throw in he abuses the linesman to F**k! :D Always the same "FOOK OFF!" reaction too. Love it.

Good post Billy. Think i agree with most of it.

He's a moaning c**t is our Jordy but I love that about him. Contesting every ball and decision, it's what a Liverpool player should be doing - especially one who is going to become our captain.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,343 posts | 4964 
      Reply #615: Feb 04, 2015 10:34:18 pm
      He's a moaning c**t is our Jordy but I love that about him. Contesting every ball and decision, it's what a Liverpool player should be doing - especially one who is going to become our captain.

Indeed.

Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #616: Feb 04, 2015 10:36:13 pm
      Maybe you're missing something mate?

I thought both him and Gerrard were pretty poor.

He did exactly what was demanded and needed of him. A good defensive midfield performance. Joint most tackles and also interceptions. 91% pass accuracy.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #617: Feb 04, 2015 10:37:07 pm
      I've liked Lennon more since he started doing a bit of punditry after the Celtic gig. I think if he is going to slag the ref off though then he is going to have to include all the sh*t his team got away with.

Well he wasn't going to a full rant about it, but he mentioned that his pen wasn't one
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,343 posts | 4964 
      Reply #618: Feb 04, 2015 10:38:03 pm
      He did exactly what was demanded and needed of him. A good defensive midfield performance. Joint most tackles and also interceptions. 91% pass accuracy.

I don't care what the stats say.

Him and Gerrard were a world away from what Hendo and Lucas have been for us.
      Redangel

• 8,391 posts | 1025 
      Reply #619: Feb 04, 2015 10:38:30 pm
      I couldn't watch the last 10 mins due to a family problem, so very relieved to see we won. I will however be disconnecting the front door bell and unplugging the phone on Saturday evening! I will be watching ALL the Derby on Saturday unless we take a direct meteor hit on my house!
      Come on you Redmen!
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #620: Feb 04, 2015 10:38:40 pm
      The sooner he goes the better mate , one of Rodgers worst signings and when he plays for us we're worst off for it .

Quick Reply