Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 9th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P11 W6 D4 L1

Penalty-gate

Read 19695 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,023 posts | 3957 
      Re: Penalty-gate
      Reply #138: Feb 20, 2015 05:47:15 pm
      I was pretty disappointed with Stevie G in all honestly.

He didn't need to say anything at all. He could quite simply have said "I cannot comment on that" and brushed it off to Reid/Strachan and let them fight over it (literally).

Methinks our Stevie had his 'mercenary, looking for a pundit's job on the telly' head on at the time.
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #139: Feb 20, 2015 06:01:15 pm
      Yes thats the impression I got too.  I think Stevie was looking to make an impression.

Punditry beckons perhaps?
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #140: Feb 20, 2015 06:26:57 pm
      Maybe he felt a bit piss.ed and felt that as the current skipper he should support his heir apparent, that's how I read the situation meself. It's a mini storm in a tiny tea cup and will forgotten by tomorrow if we allow it to be
      Redangel

• 8,361 posts | 1013 
      Reply #141: Feb 20, 2015 06:28:58 pm
      Methinks our Stevie had his 'mercenary, looking for a pundit's job on the telly' head on at the time.

That's fine, he can do that once he is no longer employed by Liverpool Football Club. I am sad to say, he's gone down a little in my estimation.
      Plus it seems that Stevie knew that when he wan't on the pitch Balo is the nominated penalty taker, not whoever is the Captain, which it seems is what Stevie and Jordan both seem to think!
      Brendan needs to clarify this to everyone involved and Gerrard needs to be told to leave the punditry 'till he's no longer our player.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #142: Feb 20, 2015 06:29:57 pm
      If Gerrard isn't playing and Balotelli is on the pitch Balotelli takes the penalty regardless of who else is playing or was told they were taking the penalty.

If Henderson was designated penalty taker in the starting 11 fine,
      until Balotelli came on.

People can complain all they want about Balotelli but the man knows how to score penalties.

Oh, and legend or not Gerrard is the one that did the most harm for the team last night.
      Let the other cu*ts bi*ch and moan but don't fuel the flame.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #143: Feb 20, 2015 06:39:36 pm
      Just imagine what this thread would be like if Balotelli had missed the penalty, he didn't we won end of story. At least Balotelli had enough belief in himself to step up at a critical stage of the match to secure a win for us.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #144: Feb 20, 2015 06:51:29 pm
      Oh my, don't we love a meaningless crisis.

And Balotelli "won us the game" by taking the penalty? He did ok when he came on but I'd give Ibe far more credit, he's the only with the actual crucial play.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #145: Feb 20, 2015 06:53:07 pm
      Might be an interesting conversation now between BR and Gerrard.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #146: Feb 20, 2015 06:53:55 pm

And Balotelli "won us the game" by taking the penalty? He did ok when he came on but I'd give Ibe far more credit, he's the only with the actual crucial play.

I thought that  is  what the thread was about Balotelli,Henderson and the penalty.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #147: Feb 20, 2015 06:55:05 pm

Ibe was man of the match.
      Balotelli scored the winner.
      Clean sheet.

Ignore the other bollox.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,377 posts | 6402 
      Reply #148: Feb 20, 2015 07:17:18 pm
      I'll say it again.

Had Stevie come on as a late substitute...do you think he'd have let Hendo take the pen because he was wearing the armband? Do you think Hendo wouldn't have gladly told Stevie to take the pen?

To me there are three issues (from what I saw). First, as captain, Jordan should have willfully conceeded that Balo should have been taking the pen. It's great that Jordan had the confidence (ego?) that he wanted to take it, but when you have a guy who's missed what....1 in his entire career), you give over to him. That's what a captain should be doing...making the smartest decisions in regards to the team.

Second issue was Gerrard giving his opinion as a commentator. Especially when he himself made the comment when Balo was acquired that if he (Stevie) wasn't on the field, Balo should be taking the pens.

The third issue is Sturridge getting involved. He successfully undermined two teammates at the same time. Balo because he was telling Jordan to take it and Jordan because it then looked like Hendo needed someone to "help" him stand up to big bad Mario.

The positive here is that Rodgers has addressed it publically in a very smart way and I'd assume he's already addressed it in the locker room and we shouldn't see this be an issue again.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,309 posts | 768 
      Reply #149: Feb 20, 2015 07:49:46 pm
      Common sense prevailed in the end, thank goodness !
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #150: Feb 20, 2015 07:51:10 pm
      Stevie needs to shut his mouth, he's talking like an ex-player already.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,606 posts | 751 
      Reply #151: Feb 20, 2015 07:53:43 pm
      Gerrard definitely made a mistake with his comments.

Nobody is infallible
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #152: Feb 20, 2015 08:04:11 pm
      I'm sorry but then you're a moron. Really not worth even arguing the many points you're off the ball with that one. God.

You're one if you think that Jordan is capable of imposing himself in front of players which have a bigger reputation than him. Let's say we'll sign any of Reus, Benzema or Higuain, i don't think he could yell at them if they make a mistake, not now. He needs to guide this team to a trophy and be a more consistent player in our team if he wants to make a stand in front of more accomplished players.

I'm really hoping he will develop into a leader for this team, but he isn't right now. I don't know how all of you can live having such a short fuse, calling someone a moron so easy.
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #153: Feb 20, 2015 08:12:50 pm
      Rule should be, you follow the manager off the pitch and the captain on it, that he didn't regardless of whether he scored or not shows he is not a Liverpool player.
      RedWilly

• 9,199 posts | 1642 
      Reply #154: Feb 20, 2015 09:25:43 pm
      Rule should be, you follow the manager off the pitch and the captain on it, that he didn't regardless of whether he scored or not shows he is not a Liverpool player.

What a load of sh*te, he was the only one to act like a Liverpool player and showed some balls and self confidence.

If Hendo wanted it he should have been more assertive and pulled rank, as for Sturridge I don't know why he even bothered to get involved messing with Mario's head before a big pen.
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #155: Feb 20, 2015 09:35:06 pm
      What a load of sh*te, he was the only one to act like a Liverpool player and showed some balls and self confidence.

If Hendo wanted it he should have been more assertive and pulled rank, as for Sturridge I don't know why he even bothered to get involved messing with Mario's head before a big pen.

utter sh*te. imagine him trying it on with Gerrard, or any past Captain he saw an opportunity and took advantage i wouldnt play him again.

That you wonder why two players who have been head and shoulders above the goon this season were annoyed shows more than the initial question.
      RedWilly

• 9,199 posts | 1642 
      Reply #156: Feb 20, 2015 09:39:16 pm
      utter sh*te. imagine him trying it on with Gerrard, or any past Captain he saw an opportunity and took advantage i wouldnt play him again.

That you wonder why two players who have been head and shoulders above the goon this season were annoyed shows more than the initial question.

And can you imagine Stevie letting him take it? No, Hendo backed down and let him have it and threw a sulk. Balotelli is getting a rough ride because of his name.

And Brendan has already said Mario was the designated pen taker when he came on.
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #157: Feb 20, 2015 09:44:55 pm
      And can you imagine Stevie letting him take it? No, Hendo backed down and let him have it and threw a sulk. Balotelli is getting a rough ride because of his name.

And Brendan has already said Mario was the designated pen taker when he came on.

The only thing wrong with it is that hendo didnt deck him and the rest join in and then he got booed off on the stretcher, that would of been the perfect ending.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #158: Feb 20, 2015 09:50:24 pm
      The only thing wrong with it is that hendo didnt deck him and the rest join in and then he got booed off on the stretcher, that would of been the perfect ending.

WTF  ???
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #159: Feb 20, 2015 09:53:35 pm

do not underestimate how one pr**k can mess with a dressing room, reason other top clubs got rid of this goon, even though hes not a regular starter you can see why. Hes broken as a team player.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4407 
      Reply #160: Feb 20, 2015 10:01:06 pm
      do not underestimate how one pr**k can mess with a dressing room, reason other top clubs got rid of this goon, even though hes not a regular starter you can see why. Hes broken as a team player.

Stop being a tit Balotelli is a Liverpool player, you talk as if your privy to the dressing room!

Pictures I saw today of the team training showed Balotelli and the team having a good laugh.

Quick Reply