Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Penalty-gate

Read 19780 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Penalty-gate
      Reply #115: Feb 20, 2015 12:49:14 pm
      Why do people keep saying this? We don't know how good Hendo is. We know Balo is very good, which is reason enough to want him to take them, but we don't know Hendo's level relative to that. I think if Hendo was designated taker he probably is very good. Rodgers knows much better than us.

Just so that I'm clear, are you saying that you have no idea how good a penalty taker Henderson is whilst you know that Balotelli is very good at them? If so then why on earth would you have any issue with Balotelli taking the penalty??
      I'm also deeply troubled why Henderson was the designated penalty taker before kickoff when he never ever takes penalties, is it just automatically the captain who always takes penalties in a Liverpool team?
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #116: Feb 20, 2015 01:00:13 pm
      Just so that I'm clear, are you saying that you have no idea how good a penalty taker Henderson is whilst you know that Balotelli is very good at them? If so then why on earth would you have any issue with Balotelli taking the penalty??
      I'm also deeply troubled why Henderson was the designated penalty taker before kickoff when he never ever takes penalties, is it just automatically the captain who always takes penalties in a Liverpool team?

Oh, come on mate all you had to do is look at the starting line-up for your answer. Who else was there? Who were the realistic alternatives? Coutinho and Can you'd have thought perhaps. I certainly wouldn't have given the responsibility to Sturridge...that's for sure.
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #117: Feb 20, 2015 01:02:14 pm
      The 2 at fault in this whole fiasco are Sturridge for acting like a child on the pitch and Gerrard for digging at his own teammate on air. Both showed lack of class.
      Balo is in form at the moment and could save our season. Balo did nothing wrong and without Sturridge involvement and negative body language on the pitch and our captain gratuitous comments, there would be no story to talk about.
      If I were the gaffer I would have a long conversation with those 2, not Balo.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #118: Feb 20, 2015 01:03:15 pm
      Oh, come on mate all you had to do is look at the starting line-up for your answer. Who else was there? Who were the realistic alternatives? Coutinho and Can you'd have thought perhaps. I certainly wouldn't have given the responsibility to Sturridge...that's for sure.

Can plays for Germany doesn't it, ie its a no brainer :-) In all seriousness as soon as Balotelli came on the pitch he was quite right to be the main penalty taker, end of discussion as far as I'm concerned. Anyway it was a good win and I fancy us to do enough at their place to progress, that's the main thing.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #119: Feb 20, 2015 01:07:03 pm
      [1] Just so that I'm clear, are you saying that you have no idea how good a penalty taker Henderson is whilst you know that Balotelli is very good at them? If so then why on earth would you have any issue with Balotelli taking the penalty??
      [2] I'm also deeply troubled why Henderson was the designated penalty taker before kickoff when he never ever takes penalties, [3] is it just automatically the captain who always takes penalties in a Liverpool team?
      [1] I have no issue with Balotelli taking them or Henderson taking them. Just issue with the unsubstantiated claim that Balo is better. Hendo's ability is an unknown quantity at this stage.
      [2] "Deeply troubled". F**k off you quim, clearly Hendo has shown some significant ability at them in training to be the second choice taker. If we were having a fan vote on who should take them on the evidence we have Balotelli would win. However, Rodgers has far more evidence and chose Hendo. Either Rodgers is a moron, or Hendo is also very good at taking them, so there is no need to be "deeply troubled".
      [3] No, there is a list of designated takers.

Finally, I'm not upset that Balotelli took it or about any of this. I actually think the whole thing went down rather well. Henderson showed leadership qualities during the match and in the interview afterwards. Its also pretty probable that both Balo and Hendo are very good pen takers, and seeing as the vast majority of pens are scored anyway, its not a big deal.
      Some things were said by Gerrard that I'm sure he regrets, but these things happen when you're the studio. No real harm done aside from the trees killed making up column inches.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #120: Feb 20, 2015 01:17:54 pm
      [1] I have no issue with Balotelli taking them or Henderson taking them. Just issue with the unsubstantiated claim that Balo is better. Hendo's ability is an unknown quantity at this stage.
      [2] "Deeply troubled". F**k off you quim, clearly Hendo has shown some significant ability at them in training to be the second choice taker. If we were having a fan vote on who should take them on the evidence we have Balotelli would win. However, Rodgers has far more evidence and chose Hendo. Either Rodgers is a moron, or Hendo is also very good at taking them, so there is no need to be "deeply troubled".
      [3] No, there is a list of designated takers.

Finally, I'm not upset that Balotelli took it or about any of this. I actually think the whole thing went down rather well. Henderson showed leadership qualities during the match and in the interview afterwards. Its also pretty probable that both Balo and Hendo are very good pen takers, and seeing as the vast majority of pens are scored anyway, its not a big deal.
      Some things were said by Gerrard that I'm sure he regrets, but these things happen when you're the studio. No real harm done aside from the trees killed making up column inches.

[4] Hendo was the designated taker at the start of the game. When Mario comes on, the question is should he become the spot kick taker?

But perhaps the most important question is; does it all matter?  ???
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #121: Feb 20, 2015 01:22:26 pm
      [4] Hendo was the designated taker at the start of the game. When Mario comes on, the question is should he become the spot kick taker?

But perhaps the most important question is; does it all matter?  ???

Those details would have been sorted before the game. Hendo was still the designated taker. This gives me confidence in his PK taking abilities. The fact that he was willing to give the ball to Balo and his post game interview showed he had diplomatic leadership abilities. Its all positive for Hendo here for me.

As for the second question, Leo answers it best for me;

viniciusgama1
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 11 
      Reply #122: Feb 20, 2015 01:34:55 pm
      Can't get it why people are making such a big deal about this. They are all adults there and this will be solved like all team problems are solved: in the locker room. If this little "problem" gets in the way, this team is not made to win great titles.

About the penalty, IMO, it was supposed to be Mario. He is probably the best in the world on the pen line (missed only one and took a lot in his career). He is proably better than Steve, but, of course, Gerrard will remain the primary shooter because, well, he is Steven Gerrard.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #123: Feb 20, 2015 01:58:05 pm
      If as Captain (hendo) cant stop another player from taking a pen then he's not captain material in my eyes. i dont care who takes it as long as they score. for me Mario has to be our pen taker as his record dictates that. Henderson is man enough to admit that Mario proably was the right man for the job but didnt want to come acorss as a coward so said he would have also taken it but mario has taken more bigger pens than i have so he took it. BR now HAS to change the pen taker to Mario and for me keep Gerrard out the side as he also showed disrespect by slagging off his team mates on TV. Give gerrard the odd 20 min from now on to see a game out but i would 100% not start him again apart from if we get to wembley final and his last game at anfield.
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #124: Feb 20, 2015 02:07:08 pm
      Doesnt matter... he mugged him, and the manager!

its up THE MANAGER ONLY who takes the pens not someone on the pitch who want to up his pathetic goal rate!

All a bit dramatic for me  this whole thread is O.T.T and I'd argue we are collectively adding to the media circus. I can't imagine it will have the ripples in the dressing room that some of you are claiming. Penno takers change in games all the time, sometimes it's because someone is on a hatrick, sometimes the player who wins the pen insists on taking it.

I've already moved on to the next game, a pretty big one at that on Sunday
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #125: Feb 20, 2015 02:11:37 pm
      Let us all stop being a drama mama, match is over we won, Balo should not have snatched the ball from Hendo as the designated penalty taker, but he's burning with desire to do well at the moment, let's not extinguish his desire. At one point in the match he tracked back to defend against a shot heading towards goal. Won't fault him for his commitment this time. BR, it is hereby recommended that Balo be given a slap on the wrist as a punishment and never to do that again unless under instruction.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #126: Feb 20, 2015 02:12:58 pm
      No matter what your opinion is. I have a firm belief that this story will not be growing arms and legs. Henderson was listed as the spot kick taker before the match, Mario was on the bench so it would have been bizarre to have his name as the taker. When Mario comes on there has been no instruction on wether or not Mario who is unanimously the best penalty taker on the field at that time should take it. Look we know if Gerrard comes on he's taking it, the same luxury probably should have been awarded to Mario in the first place as I'd be willing to bet that if Mario was starting, his name would be put next to penalty taker and not Henderson.

In the future I think it'll be made clear that Mario is number 2 behind Stevie on pens, the rest is fair game. We won't see this happen again because now the rule should be set in stone. It would have bothered me if Mario wanted to take it ahead of Gerrard, I don't think there is any toleration of that, but in this case like I said earlier... everyone knows he's the best pen taker on the field, why the F**k would anyone else take it?
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #127: Feb 20, 2015 02:18:55 pm
      What is most disappointing for me, is not the behaviour of anyone of our players, but the behaviour of our fans.
      People chatting absolute sh*te, saying stuff like Hendo has proven he isnt captain material, or some sh*te about Sturridge.
      Get it together folks.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #128: Feb 20, 2015 02:28:30 pm
      The best penalty taker on the pitch should take the penalty. Last night that was Balotelli.

This ideology that the skipper should take every penalty, corner, free kick as soon as he puts on the armband needs to be quashed.

As for Gerrard's comments, that was shithouse. Proper shithouse, and I hope Brendan puts him in his place after last night.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #129: Feb 20, 2015 02:31:17 pm
      Chris Bascombe

Brendan Rodgers says Mario Balotelli was Liverpool’s nominated penalty taker once he he was on the field last night.

End of story for me!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #130: Feb 20, 2015 03:17:33 pm
      I don't think Gerrards comments were as bad as what people are making out. He gave his opinion and other people might have dodged the question. He was man enough to say what he thought and didn't have much time to think about it. He was put on the spot because he is our captain so he was asked hypothetically what he would have done in that situation.

Gerrard said Balotelli disrespected Henderson. He did so. Henderson is wearing the armband and that gives him slightly more authority than Balotelli. As soon as Henderson picked that ball up and said I'm having this then that's the end of it. Balotelli should never have questioned it or got involved whether it's the right decision or not.

We all wanted Balotelli to take the penalty and Henderson should have been mature enough and said Ok you're a better penalty taker than I am so go and win the game for us.  Henderson picking the ball up was being as immature as balotelli. He knows full well there are other players more suited to take a penalty than him on the pitch yet he still wanted to take it. He was putting himself before the team which is alarming.

Henderson needs to stop thinking he's gerrard. Whenever Gerrard doesn't play, Henderson involves himself on every set piece and he is now involving himself on penalties too.  Here's some news for you Hendo lad, you aren't, and never will be Steven Gerrard. You will never be half the player he was so climb out of his arse and stop trying to be him.

I mentioned it before though and this is where I do give hendo some credit. As soon as Balotelli scores, Henderson walks towards him immediately. He might not have jumped all over him but he congratulated him and got over the situation quickly, swallowed his pride. He then handled his interview well too. So well done for that Hendo.

Very disappointed with Sturridge, telling Henderson to get the ball back off Balotelli and having a go at Mario too. Why the F**k is he getting involved. I noticed that Sturridge was nowhere to be seen when Mario scored either.

Mario was very lucky that he scored because had he missed there would have been uproar. He made the right decision by demanding that penalty knowing he is the best penalty taker on the pitch, but he should never disagree with his captain. I imagine he has since been put in his place this morning at Melwood.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #131: Feb 20, 2015 03:57:49 pm
      "Henderson involves himself in every set piece"?

I very much doubt he does it on his own.
      BR makes those calls, and Henderson wouldn't be playing if he was just grabbing the ball without instructions to do so.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #132: Feb 20, 2015 04:04:24 pm
      Every body can chill out on Sturridge now as well ffs.. Everyone sounds like headteachers "trying to get to the bottom of this"..lolololo.. The crime wasn't deep enough to lay blame in its entirety on one individual..  Ballo flipped procedure and scored with ease.. There's always going to be a debate if this was to happen.. No scrapping just some mini sulks and the nation goes crazy..? I've been hard done by at work before and "just kept it moving"..?

Ballo on paper shouldn't have over-rided (altho happy he did),
      Hendo maybe could have visually backed down a bit quicker and lost the sulk pre celebration,
      Sturridge just temporarily acted like an over competitive kid screaming "stick by the rules" like any other striker on the field would and
      Gerrard, shouldn't have been so honest (pulling rank), accidentally embracing "pundit mode" too well..

All 4 players guilty of minor discrepancies and a big bag of media focus with no talk about performances.. Great...
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #133: Feb 20, 2015 04:04:56 pm
      Rodgers says Balotelli was right to take Penalty, so that's all cleared up.

Hopefully all the fannies on here can calm down.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/559447/Liverpool-Brendan-Rodgers-Back-Mario-Balotelli-Penalty-Jordan-Henderson
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #134: Feb 20, 2015 04:30:23 pm
      Rodgers says Balotelli was right to take Penalty, so that's all cleared up.

Hopefully all the fannies on here can calm down.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/559447/Liverpool-Brendan-Rodgers-Back-Mario-Balotelli-Penalty-Jordan-Henderson

this^^
       and hope this thread will be closed  as the pen. issue is

YNWA
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #135: Feb 20, 2015 05:07:04 pm
      If Mario was right then Stevie was wrong  :f_whistle: :couch:
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #136: Feb 20, 2015 05:10:41 pm
      It's almost as if all of the hoopla over this makes it seem like we lost. It's completely clouded the fact that we won and kept a clean sheet last night.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #137: Feb 20, 2015 05:27:14 pm
      I was pretty disappointed with Stevie G in all honestly.

He didn't need to say anything at all. He could quite simply have said "I cannot comment on that" and brushed it off to Reid/Strachan and let them fight over it (literally).

Quick Reply