Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

Summer Transfers IN/OUT

Read 92710 times
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Re: Summer Transfers IN/OUT
      Reply #460: Jun 23, 2015 12:04:24 pm
      Good point.

Scary to think what things might be like around here if Ings doesn't score 10 goals in his first 10 games :D

You've just reminded me of the initial expectations I've had at least on Aspas and Mario, not to mention others.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #461: Jun 23, 2015 01:29:57 pm
      Out of all leaving, Gerrard & sterling are the only ones that we will miss. Scored most of our goals last season.

so hopefully the new guys can at the least replace those goals, and add some.

Let's face it, the strikers can't be any worse.
      exactly mate, fingers crossed Sturridge is done with injury's and ings gets game time to make an impact as i think he can get us 10+ goals in his first season and if we get Firminho,bacca in we might get a decent amount. cant see mario fitting in if we do get the last two
      harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #462: Jun 23, 2015 02:41:41 pm
      Based on recent links, we could look something like this: 

Out:  Gerrard, Johnson, Jones, Aspas, Coates, Balotelli, Lambert, Borini, Enrique, Sterling, Alberto, Wisdom, Lucas

In:  Bogdan, Ings, Milner, Gomez, Bacca, Firmino, Illarra, and Clyne with Ilori and Origi returning from loan.

This would leave us with the following:

GK:  Migs and Bogdan
      DEF:  Skrtel, Sakho, Lovren, Toure, Ilori, Can, Clyne, Moreno, Gomez, Flanagan
      MID:  Hendo, Milner, Illarra, Allen, Can, Lallana, Coutinho, Markovic, Ibe
      FWD:  Studge, Bacca, Firmino, Ings, Origi

Probable starting lineup for the season opener:

Migs
      Clyne - Skrtel - Sakho - Moreno
      Illarra - Can
      Milner - Firmino - Coutinho
      Bacca

Subs:  Bogdan, Lovren, Toure, Hendo, Lallana, Ibe, Ings

On paper, that's not a bad looking side....
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #463: Jun 23, 2015 02:45:47 pm

Migs
      Illarra - Can
      Bacca

Our first 4 signings - Milner, Ings, Bogdan, Gomez

If our next 4 are Clyne, Illara/Kovacic, Firmino and Bacca!!!! ... that would be f**king awesome
      fhands123
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 350 posts | 11 
      Reply #464: Jun 23, 2015 02:51:35 pm

Migs
      Illarra - Can
      Bacca

I fear that the term 'probable' is ever so slightly optimistic here. Obviously it would be incredible if it happens though. It was also be interesting to see how all the Brendan and FSG haters would react if we had a summer like this.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #465: Jun 23, 2015 02:54:17 pm
      I fear that the term 'probable' is ever so slightly optimistic here. Obviously it would be incredible if it happens though. It was also be interesting to see how all the Brendan and FSG haters would react if we had a summer like this.

you can only take it back...

my support for the team will never wiaver... but suppport for the manager and owner is allowed to be questioned
      harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #466: Jun 23, 2015 03:42:49 pm

I meant it would be the probable starting lineup if we do complete all of business that is being strongly rumored at the moment.

Also, despite the fact that the team looks good on paper, it may not work well on the field. I thought we had a much better looking side on paper at the start of last year, but BR and the players really let us down....
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #467: Jun 24, 2015 12:28:38 pm
      We need a midfield anchorman or ironman, whatever we name it to bully the opposition midfield. We have never really gotten a proper DM after Masch left.  If we could get a quality DM it's definitely going to improve things.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #468: Jun 24, 2015 12:36:42 pm
      We need a midfield anchorman or ironman, whatever we name it to bully the opposition midfield. We have never really gotten a proper DM after Masch left.  If we could get a quality DM it's definitely going to improve things.

We need to play 2 in midfield in my opinion, so if we are to get another DM, we should sell 1 or 2 of our current midfielders.

If we sign Clyne & Illara, there should be no excuse for us not to challenging for Europa league and finish in top 3.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #469: Jun 24, 2015 01:55:15 pm
      We need to play 2 in midfield in my opinion, so if we are to get another DM, we should sell 1 or 2 of our current midfielders.

If we sign Clyne & Illara, there should be no excuse for us not to challenging for Europa league and finish in top 3.

I think top 3 is settled between City, Arsenal and Chelsea, until we sign somebody like Cavani or Ibrahimovic.

These 3 teams have at least 1 if not 2 world class players who can turn a game on its head (Hazard, Aguero, Sanchez, Ozil, Silva, Fabregas) + more capable managers than what we have.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #470: Jun 24, 2015 04:43:19 pm

Maybe on playstation but 1+2 does not necessarily =3 in the real world of sports, and while I'm intrigued by illara I don't think he'll be the answer to all our defensive/control problems. We need chemistry in the team and its hard to quantify which players will give you the magic formula.

Not slagging you off purple but this kind of simplistic thinking led to us buying downing and Carroll on the assumption that crosses pumped in by the former would result in goals being scored of the head of the latter.

All that said, get Clyne in  >:D
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #471: Jun 24, 2015 06:11:04 pm
      Maybe on playstation but 1+2 does not necessarily =3 in the real world of sports, and while I'm intrigued by illara I don't think he'll be the answer to all our defensive/control problems. We need chemistry in the team and its hard to quantify which players will give you the magic formula.

Not slagging you off purple but this kind of simplistic thinking led to us buying downing and Carroll on the assumption that crosses pumped in by the former would result in goals being scored of the head of the latter.

All that said, get Clyne in  >:D

I agree it doesn't always work in the real world, but buying the right parts will give you a better success rate. It hasn't worked in the middle for us because of our players and system, a system that requires a defensive deep lying playmaker(in which we haven't had since Alonso) to reach the full effect. Illara is a player that would allow us to play that system and will undoubtedly improve us by giving us more control, cohesion and chemistry, perhaps even a slight improvement defensively(I base this on Illara's play style), but by no means would it fix all our defensive problems, a problem that is mostly down to the system/formation itself.

Personally, I don't think it's too difficult to identify the players needed to create the sort of style you want your team to play, you just need the right players and balance.

As for buying the likes of Carroll, Downing, Adam and playing Hendo right wing etc, I don't think it was a case of Dalglish & Comolli thinking simplistic, Dalglish had a particular style he wanted us to play, and rightly bought the players he felt could achieve his vision of the team, but unfortunately, we bought sh*t players and it didn't work out. I'm sure it would've worked out if we had Crouch, Bale, Alonso and Walcott :p
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #472: Jun 24, 2015 06:31:47 pm
      I don't buy that. Not for a minute.

If we were in the early stages back then, we should have made a massive leap forward with last season's outlay. Unfortunately in this game, money literally can buy you success and its been proven by chavs and man city. Two decades for what? Setting up a scouting network? I've seen scouting on this forum that would shame the men whom are paid to do so at LFC.

Broughton said (I think to Torres) that it would take a minimum of 3 years to turn us around.
      That's just to undo the h&g damage.
      It'll be 5 years in October I think, that they've been here, and it's looking at the moment that we'll have not only a decent first 11, but also a decent squad and subs bench for the first time in a long while.
      I think FSG fu**ed up when they first came, but then went back to their original plan.

Having said that, I'd rather look forwards than backwards, and even though they make mistakes it appears that they learn from them and fix them.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #473: Jun 24, 2015 06:48:27 pm
      I just think people are getting carried away with the illara/Xabi comparison. I watch illara play and I see a hard-working and physical player who shields the ball well, is energetic and has a decent pass on him.
      Xabi was a class above and, in his prime, would have elevated any midfield in Europe. I'm just not convinced with illara, but then again what little I've seen I him has been at Madrid, where many  have said he had inconsistent involvement.
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #474: Jun 24, 2015 10:16:54 pm
      I just think people are getting carried away with the illara/Xabi comparison. I watch illara play and I see a hard-working and physical player who shields the ball well, is energetic and has a decent pass on him.
      Xabi was a class above and, in his prime, would have elevated any midfield in Europe. I'm just not convinced with illara, but then again what little I've seen I him has been at Madrid, where many  have said he had inconsistent involvement.

They're not even similar players which is what bothers me about the comparisons. The only common factors are that they're both Basque, they both came up at Real Sociedad, they've both played for Real Madrid and they're both midfielders but that's it. Illarramendi is much much closer to Lucas (before he lost a step) or Busquets or Thiago Motta or Makelele as a footballer then he will ever be to Xabi.

In essence Illarramendi is a bigger, stronger, better, Spanish version (so he'll be more popular when we sign him) of Leon Britton that's it really. He'll shield the defence and keep the ball ticking over he's a 7/10 performer anyone who's misinformed enough to think that he's somehow our replacement for Xabi is setting themselves up for a huge disappointment.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #475: Jun 24, 2015 11:23:01 pm
      Illarramendi is much much closer to Lucas (before he lost a step) or Busquets or Thiago Motta or Makelele as a footballer then he will ever be to Xabi.

I beg to differ on this. Lucas, Busquet, Makelele types are pure defensive players that keep the ball ticking well and simple, where as Alonso, Schweinsteiger, Kroos types are similar but more creative than your usually defensive midfielder. From what I have seen of Illara, I feel he falls into the latter category and far more than a pure defensive midfielder.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #476: Jun 25, 2015 08:03:35 am
      so is this inter player then all a rumor as i've not heard any reliable sources come out and say we have even been looking at him. also who would he replace as we currently have a load of midfielders. i know hes a better player than allen,lucas but at the moment there still here so cant see FSG allowing another central mid player in before we can sell one or two.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,568 posts | 1802 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #477: Jun 25, 2015 08:39:27 am
      Next priority is Right back & Striker.

I think midfield is covered, Can should just step up and take Gerrards place in squad.

That leaves, lucas, hendo, Can & Allen all playing for basically 2 positions in the team depending on formations.

3-4-3 only needs 2 central midfield players, 4-4-2 the same, 3-5-1, maybe 3 central midfielders, etc. 

We lacked goals last season that is what needs addressing, and thankfully looks like we are.
      « Last Edit: Jun 25, 2015 09:00:57 am by brezipool, Reason: teh to the. lol »
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1516 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #478: Jun 25, 2015 09:02:38 am
      Let's not forget the left back position. I don't want Moreno anyhwere near the team this season. Bench at best
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #479: Jun 25, 2015 11:03:35 am
      Let's not forget the left back position. I don't want Moreno anyhwere near the team this season. Bench at best
      he was out of his depth last season not what i was expecting esp with all the hype and how aggressivly we wanted him. lets hope it was a bedding in season and now he's a little wiser to the demands of the prem he switches on and becomes top LB. I think he has ability but its the positional stuff he needs to work on and score a few more goals like he did v spurs
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #480: Jun 25, 2015 11:55:02 am
      6 down. 3 more to go, in that order (along with targets linked)

• 1. Striker/CF - Bacca/Benteke/Rondon
        2. CM/CDM - Illara/Kovacic/Bentaleb
        3. Left Back - Lucas Digne
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #481: Jun 25, 2015 12:49:41 pm

We have defensive midfielders who are pretty average, hence, selling one or more of them and  Illara in cannot be any worst than what we have now.
      SyntaxError
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #482: Jun 25, 2015 12:59:57 pm
      I like Kovacic, but I would prefer if we went for an all out destroyer DM, something similar to Mascherano/Matic. Would do wonders in terms of strengthening our back line. Lucas was an important player last season because he filled that position, but he hasn't been the same since injury and we're in need of an upgrade.

Kovacic is a offensively-minded player, and Illarramendi is more of an Alonso.

I want us to go in for Lars Bender, think he's a world-class DM. Personally rate him above Schneiderlin. Would probably be able to get him for around the same price as Kovacic.

Quick Reply