Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      5 (11.4%)
      Kolo Toure
      3 (6.8%)
      Martin Skrtel
      10 (22.7%)
      Dejan Lovren
      3 (6.8%)
      Emre Can
      4 (9.1%)
      Joe Allen
      8 (18.2%)
      Jordon Ibe
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      9 (20.5%)
      Raheem Sterling
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Mario Balotelli
      2 (4.5%)
      Javi Manquillo
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Rickie Lambert
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: Mar 03, 2015 09:15:11 am

Besiktas 1-0 LFC (1-1 agg / 5-4 on pens): In game and Post Match Debate

Read 55608 times
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Re: Live: Besiktas V Liverpool
      Reply #828: Feb 26, 2015 09:28:19 pm
      Not going to have a pop at Lovren because at least he had the bollocks to take one .
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #829: Feb 26, 2015 09:30:27 pm
      Respect to Lovren who has been having a mare recently for agreeing to take the penalty, that takes bottle.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #830: Feb 26, 2015 09:31:02 pm
      Pleased were out to be honest, its to much of a distraction for the main goal of qualifying for the champions league, yes we could have qualified by winning it, but as seen by tonight, its a lottery, we could have suffered in the league and finished 5-6th got to the final and got beat on penalties, yes I know we exist to win trophies but we'll give ourselves a much better chance of that by qualifying for the champions league for a few seasons to help us recruit a better calibre of player.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,549 posts | 1093 
      Reply #831: Feb 26, 2015 09:32:58 pm
      Not going to have a pop at Lovren because at least he had the bollocks to take one .

Exactly mate ... unlike raheem 'i want a mans wage' sterling ... missing for 120mins .. lazy couldnt be bothered attitude and then missing when it came to the crunch at the end.

I knew lovren would miss as soon as i saw him put the ball down ... but im not gonna knock him .. at least he had it in him to take one.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,441 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #832: Feb 26, 2015 09:34:33 pm
      Now we have to finish 4th or higher if we want to play in Europe next season. Going to be a tough ask starting with Citeh in less then 24 hours!

i know you're an Aussie mate, but we've got a bit more than 24 hours. 6 goals in 8 games in Europe, won two with late pens, says it all, simply not good enough
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #833: Feb 26, 2015 09:36:39 pm
      Real poor performance and gutted to be out, our return to Europe has been under-whelming to say the least.

Lovren taking the last pen is bizarre, really feel for him, just sums his season up really.

Got to focus on the league now, get in the Champions League (and force the mancs out of it) and get our hands on the FA Cup, because that's there for the taking.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #834: Feb 26, 2015 09:37:49 pm
      i know you're an Aussie mate, but we've got a bit more than 24 hours. 6 goals in 8 games in Europe, won two with late pens, says it all, simply not good enough

Reaping what we sowed in the Summer, mate. I said at the time, we needed to sign players with UCL experience. Instead we signed a bunch of kids again. And Balotelli. Nonetheless, I feel Brendan cost us that match by waiting too long to make essential substitutions. Very unlike him.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,555 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #835: Feb 26, 2015 09:43:28 pm

In fairness, they only got the one goal, and it was a cracker. So defensively, can't really complain too much. We weren't overrun.

Was going forward cost us, we completely lost our way in the 2nd half. Completely. ONE goal in 120 mins would've been enough. So the attacking lads need to take a look at themselves.

Won't even go down the road of moaning about not signing a striker in Jan, the fact that Borini is unused on the bench ... oops, just did :)
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #836: Feb 26, 2015 09:45:16 pm
      That's great that he was brave....but you are a professional....the giant open goal mouth is 12 yards away. My 12 year old would have done better than that, he'd have at least put it on the goal. And he'd have been jumping up and down to take the pen. So yes, shame on the others if they turned down the opportunity, but unfortunately being brave doesn't help us in Lovren's case.

Have to say as soon as he stepped up to take it, I knew he had missed.

I'm not sure why you're arguing you're basically saying what I just said. Slag it off technically, fine, but the fact that it was him up there isn't a fault of him or the manager I don't think.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,555 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #837: Feb 26, 2015 09:52:31 pm
      Thought Mario was bit better than Daniel in first half. But he stopped running in the second, put the sulk on, started strolling about, and deserved to be subbed (what was he doing swinging in a free btw, when he shoulda been in the box - captain needs to have a quick word, schoolboy stuff), Studge wasn't much better though, so close toss up, sharp as a spoon. Sterling was poor too, but did run about and close down more than the other two.
      But the 'front three' overall were pretty dire - a bermudatrianglesque disappearance from minute 46...
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #838: Feb 26, 2015 09:53:06 pm
      Respect to Lovren who has been having a mare recently for agreeing to take the penalty, that takes bottle.
      If Jamie had stepped up and missed, he'd be utterly gutted. Lovren doesn't look bothered.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #839: Feb 26, 2015 09:53:13 pm
      Pleased were out to be honest, its to much of a distraction for the main goal of qualifying for the champions league, yes we could have qualified by winning it, but as seen by tonight, its a lottery, we could have suffered in the league and finished 5-6th got to the final and got beat on penalties, yes I know we exist to win trophies but we'll give ourselves a much better chance of that by qualifying for the champions league for a few seasons to help us recruit a better calibre of player.

Can't help but share some of those sentiments mate. We lost tonight for two reasons I think.

1/ I thought Brendan had a stinker tonight. Got everything right in the first half, was brave and started with two up top and we really should have been a goal to the good and sitting pretty. Second half, fook me, what was he doing? Absolutely overrun in e middle from the moment the half started, way way too late with the substitution bringing on Lallana. The boys at the back were superb and even the midfield two battled hard but we needed another body in there and how Studge stayed on as long as he did was beyond me, he was shot to bits by 70 minutes.

2/ We don't have the squad for this. The lads were dead on their feet tonight, we should have strengthened in the window if the club were serious about challenging on three different fronts. We've properly fooked it for the city game now given the exertions of tonight and Sunday-Thursday is a tough gig. Like you say red I'm not sure we have it in us to sustain Nd it is perhaps better to out the eggs in two baskets rather than all three.

Pluses from tonight for me were the keeper and our back three, all of them were outstanding, especially Toure who didn't put a foot wrong although I have to ask why he wasn't taking our 5th pen? Didn't he score the winner in the Nations Cup two weeks ago?
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,590 posts | 741 
      Reply #840: Feb 26, 2015 09:54:15 pm
      Lovren stood up and tried to take responsibility in front of a very hostile home crowd. He done that because five others didn't want it and preferred to let him, a CB, go up instead.

Slag it off technically,  thats fine, but if there was somebody more able wanting it the manager would have had them up. They're the ones who should take the stick.

Exactly!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #841: Feb 26, 2015 09:54:44 pm

You're pleased we're out? What the F**k? And your not the only 'supporter' saying it.

Now that we are out I can take some positives out of us not playing on a Thursday and a Sunday but am I F**k pleased that we have just gone out of Europe due to a piss poor performance against a side that we should be comfortably beating.

Can't believe people are happy about it.
      rossyred

• 9,296 posts | 1666 
      Reply #842: Feb 26, 2015 09:55:04 pm
      Thought sterling was meant to be as strong as an ox and hard to get off the ball well i am sorry he was simply not up for it and one example near the end someone just ran through him , my 2 year old would have put more of a challenge
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #843: Feb 26, 2015 09:55:20 pm
      Exactly mate ... unlike raheem 'i want a mans wage' sterling ... missing for 120mins .. lazy couldnt be bothered attitude and then missing when it came to the crunch at the end.

I knew lovren would miss as soon as i saw him put the ball down ... but im not gonna knock him .. at least he had it in him to take one.

Yup read my mind with that one don.
      Where the F**k was he ????
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #844: Feb 26, 2015 09:59:57 pm
      Now we have to finish 4th or higher if we want to play in Europe next season. Going to be a tough ask starting with Citeh in less then 24 hours!

Ha ha somebody's been smoking some funky mud. Lunchtime on Sunday we play them mate
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,003 posts | 223 
      Reply #845: Feb 26, 2015 10:02:50 pm
      Sturridge really pissed me off tonight almost had my foot through the TV to kick him up the arse, fvking holding on to the ball when the pass was open.
      moreno was our best player in the 1st half
      iamrafa
      • Forum David Johnson

• 236 posts |
      • Any chance of the old job back ?
      Reply #846: Feb 26, 2015 10:04:02 pm
      Sturridge really pissed me off tonight almost had my foot through the TV to kick him up the arse, fvking holding on to the ball when the pass was open.
      moreno was our best player in the 1st half

Got to agree with you there mate. He had a bad game tonight
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #847: Feb 26, 2015 10:09:28 pm
      Today was nice example how bad we are missing creative player like Cou. When he is not playing we have no idea going forward. We urgently need someone to play whit him and to have one in team when one is injured or can't play.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #848: Feb 26, 2015 10:11:18 pm
      Playing Sturridge for 105 minutes was a bizarre decision by Rodgers. Should have been subbed for Borini or Lambert at 70 min mark.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #849: Feb 26, 2015 10:13:31 pm
      Playing Sturridge for 105 minutes was a bizarre decision by Rodgers. Should have been subbed for Borini or Lambert at 70 min mark.

And having played for 105 minutes, why not just leave him on so he can take a penalty?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #850: Feb 26, 2015 10:15:47 pm
      Not sure why Rodgers goes all cagey and defensive in Europe, we just can't play that way, we are not Chelsea.
      Should have stuck to what we do best which is attack, which sort of suggests to me Rodgers was not overly bothered with the EL.

Quick Reply