Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 5th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W9 D6 L6

Jürgen Klopp

Read 28887 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Jürgen Klopp
      Apr 17, 2015 11:02:56 am
      Thought I'd start this just so that any discussion about his past, present or future can be kept in here instead of infiltrating Brendans thread  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      « Last Edit: Oct 07, 2015 06:14:07 pm by RedPuppy, Reason: Added the dots. »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,283 posts | 4938 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp
      Reply #1: Apr 17, 2015 11:05:41 am
      Nice one.

Great manager and will be an asset to whoever he goes to.

Seems like a great guy as well.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,354 posts | 6395 
      Reply #2: Apr 17, 2015 12:04:07 pm
      Seems like a nice enough fella. Pretty good track record....why couldn't he make it work at Dortmund?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,283 posts | 4938 
      Reply #3: Apr 17, 2015 12:09:05 pm
      Seems like a nice enough fella. Pretty good track record....why couldn't he make it work at Dortmund?

Sometimes things just have a natural cycle and ending FL.

Possibly what's happened there.

I like his style, like his football, how he conducts himself. In fact I like a lot about him.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4: Apr 17, 2015 12:13:54 pm

You could say it did work at Dortmand mate, he's won more than most there but when you constantly lose your best players to your rivals and you've had an injury plagued season it's always going to be tough. 

Difference with Klopp and other Managers is he's accepted that isn't an excuse and walked rather than forcing the Club to sack him and pay him compo.  I admire him for it even if some will label him a coward.
      Bier
      Reply #5: Apr 17, 2015 12:14:23 pm

He did make it work, untill this season. He did a terrific job at Dortmund, brought them back to prominence. In the years before he took over they narrowly escaped relegation and bankruptcy. They finished in 13th place the season before he took over, 3 years later they won the league. But he had the impossible task each summer to try and keep his team together, and after this season that would be an even more futile task. I can see all their best players leaving, squad will need a complete overhaul, back at square one.

Difference with Klopp and other Managers is he's accepted that isn't an excuse and walked rather than forcing the Club to sack him and pay him compo.  I admire him for it even if some will label him a coward.

Don't believe they wanted to sack him though, he has too much credit there, deservedly so. But he'd basically have to start over and rebuild like he did when he first came, I can fully understand him not feeling upto that. Must be dissapointed he couldn't leave the club in a better state.
      « Last Edit: Apr 17, 2015 12:34:32 pm by Bier »
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #6: Apr 17, 2015 12:33:15 pm
      Don't believe they wanted to sack him though, he has too much credit there, deservedly so. But he'd basically have to start over and rebuild like he did when he first came, I can fully understand him not feeling upto that.

Yeah I think a lot of it was his respect for them and not wanting to put them in that position, is what I meant mate.  As you say he's gone full circle and I can't blame him for wanting to try pastures new, there'll be no end of offers for him and he'll have time to weigh up each one and take his pick.

Wherever he goes they'll know they're getting one of the current best.
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #7: Apr 17, 2015 12:36:08 pm
      Good luck where ever you go Boss.

Just thought that may wind some up and as disrespectful as people still calling Rafa boss in his thread and is about as likely to happen.
      Bier
      Reply #8: Apr 17, 2015 12:44:12 pm
      Good luck where ever you go Boss.

Just thought that may wind some up and as disrespectful as people still calling Rafa boss in his thread and is about as likely to happen.

I don't know what you're talking about, you can call anyone boss for all I care, but why are you bringing Rafa into this thread? This is one of my major annoyances on this forum, people bringing sh*t from other threads into a completely unrelated thread to prove some twisted point.

I avoid the Rafa thread to not have to read about this sh*t, I'd appreciate it if people would keep the same old tiring debates in their respective threads so I don't have to start avoiding the forum alltogether.
      « Last Edit: Apr 17, 2015 01:04:20 pm by Bier »
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #9: Apr 17, 2015 02:38:58 pm
      Terrific manager. Like I said in the Bundesliga, Klopp is going to be a hit wherever he goes. He's just a funny guy too who sees the humor in football, which is much needed.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #10: Apr 17, 2015 03:20:25 pm
      Terrific manager. Like I said in the Bundesliga, Klopp is going to be a hit wherever he goes. He's just a funny guy too who sees the humor in football, which is much needed.

Agree.

Will say this that if we don't go for him, and I think we wont, then go on to have another transitional season next year many (including me) will look back at this as a missed opportunity. Without CL there's very few ways to attract CL quality players, one of the few is changing managers and bringing with him a few of his ex players.

Reus
      Hummels
      Mkhitaryan

to name but 3, I reckon it'd be a close vote who would actually change if they were given a definite option, of course out of respect people will say this shouldn't be talked about which I personally don't understand because we're free to discuss player upgrades, why not managerial? I'd be sorely tempted but I believe he's on his way to City or Real.

If someone gave me the choice though I'd go with Klopp I have to admit.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #11: Apr 17, 2015 03:31:11 pm
      Agree.

Will say this that if we don't go for him, and I think we wont, then go on to have another transitional season next year many (including me) will look back at this as a missed opportunity. Without CL there's very few ways to attract CL quality players, one of the few is changing managers and bringing with him a few of his ex players.

Reus
      Hummels
      Mkhitaryan

to name but 3, I reckon it'd be a close vote who would actually change if they were given a definite option, of course out of respect people will say this shouldn't be talked about which I personally don't understand because we're free to discuss player upgrades, why not managerial? I'd be sorely tempted but I believe he's on his way to City or Real.

If someone gave me the choice though I'd go with Klopp I have to admit.

Its a real teaser Luke, knowing the likes of the players you have mentioned would probably follow their boss. They would automatically take us onto the next level.

As much as I like Rodgers, what we have with Klopp is an upgrade to the elite level managers   :-\
      Bier
      Reply #12: Apr 17, 2015 04:26:52 pm
      I actually don't think it's such a given that Dortmund's best players will follow him if he would join us. Competition will be fierce.

Klopp for me is one of the most talented managers around. But if we want another manager it should be because we feel Brendan isn't performing well enough, not because Klopp just became available. If we'd go after Klopp, we're writing off Brendan, but we're in no way certain of signing Klopp. So we could easily end up with neither.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #13: Apr 17, 2015 04:44:41 pm
      I actually don't think it's such a given that Dortmund's best players will follow him if he would join us. Competition will be fierce.

Klopp for me is one of the most talented managers around. But if we want another manager it should be because we feel Brendan isn't performing well enough, not because Klopp just became available. If we'd go after Klopp, we're writing off Brendan, but we're in no way certain of signing Klopp. So we could easily end up with neither.

Yeah I think both are fair points Bier, exactly why I said "definite option" we can't afford to gamble on Klopp and lose Brendan  in the process, one of the many, many reasons I think there's absolutely no chance of it happening.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #14: Apr 17, 2015 07:20:49 pm
      Should stay true to his principles and stay away from the big money parasites like Chelsea, Man City and Munich. He's a proud man who has always taken responsibility for his team in good times and bad. A great great man.

In contrast, to hear that Munich's doctor has been blamed for their defeat to Porto midweek was tragic to hear. Clearly, Pep Guardiola has shown himself to be a narcissist to allow such a thing to happen without vigorously defending his men. My opinion of Guardiola has gone down desperately after hearing that (well to be honest it went down when he moved to Munich - clear he was only comfortable in his ability if they had the money and international brand).

Yes he may have taken "responsibility" in today's press conference but if he really meant it he'd have been able to prevent and protect his doctor from resigning. Sorry to say this but he's a coward.
      Bier
      Reply #15: Apr 17, 2015 07:29:04 pm
      In contrast, to hear that Munich's doctor has been blamed for their defeat to Porto midweek was tragic to hear. Clearly, Pep Guardiola has shown himself to be a narcissist to allow such a thing to happen without vigorously defending his men. My opinion of Guardiola has gone down desperately after hearing that (well to be honest it went down when he moved to Munich - clear he was only comfortable in his ability if they had the money and international brand).

Yes he may have taken "responsibility" in today's press conference but if he really meant it he'd have been able to prevent and protect his doctor from resigning. Sorry to say this but he's a coward.

Made a post about it in the Bundesliga thread just now, was kind of a reply to you here too but I didn't want to derail this thread too much: http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,32851.480.html
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16: Apr 17, 2015 08:40:31 pm
      Made a post about it in the Bundesliga thread just now, was kind of a reply to you here too but I didn't want to derail this thread too much: http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,32851.480.html

Enough said really. I can think of much stronger words to describe Guardiola than mere 'coward'.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #17: Apr 18, 2015 02:40:07 am
      It will be interesting to see where Klopp ends up. Perhaps PSG if Blanc gets the boot.

I can't see him working for FSG. And I can't see FSG wanting to pay the costs of sacking Rodgers and hiring a more expensive coach.

I think most fans would give Rodgers another season, even if he doesn't win the FA Cup. But equally most wouldn't be one bit angry to see Jürgen Klopp as Liverpool manager next August, if they're honest.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #18: Apr 18, 2015 10:11:39 am
      I'd take Klopp as our manager in a heart beat. Brendan may well become a top notch manager over time and he's done a good job for us in the second half of the season, although bloody awfull in the first, but he's still miles behind Klopp in my opinion.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #19: Apr 18, 2015 10:33:55 am
      I can't see him working for FSG. And I can't see FSG wanting to pay the costs of sacking Rodgers and hiring a more expensive coach.

First bit mate I'd say he's an FSG wet dream, split him open and Klopp would have "moneyball" running through him. 

Second bit is all about the risk for them.  Will the rewards Klopp "could" bring outway the cost of sacking Brendan, only the Actuaries can tell them that.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,398 posts | 2825 
      Reply #20: Apr 18, 2015 11:02:38 am
      Klopp built a side from scratch at Dortmund under great financial restrictions which yes, does make him very attractive to FSG but maybe he doesn't want that type of challenge again? Maybe he wants to go move to a club where he can sign who he wants and not be in danger of losing his best players every season. Can't blame him for that really.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #21: Apr 18, 2015 11:09:32 am
      Klopp built a side from scratch at Dortmund under great financial restrictions which yes, does make him very attractive to FSG but maybe he doesn't want that type of challenge again? Maybe he wants to go move to a club where he can sign who he wants and not be in danger of losing his best players every season. Can't blame him for that really.

I agree mate he might not want to have those issues again and no you can't blame him but it wouldn't surprise me if FSG didn't at least approach him.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,017 posts | 3955 
      Reply #22: Apr 18, 2015 11:33:23 am

Very doubtful Klopp would undertake another rebuild job in the face of enforced financial ceilings, which interprets as boardroom meddling, directly or indirectly.
      The restriction he was subject to mirrors BR's managerial lot, if Klopp were to undertake the 'pull another club out the sh*t' feat he would be deluged with offers from far and wide from under-achieving clubs, irrespective of the man's undoubted wish to better his prospects.

The above pales into insignificance however when the wishes of FSG are taken into account and the fact that BR is doing as good a job as anyone could with the restriction he is faced with.

Quick Reply