Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Memphis Depay (PSV --> Manchester United)

Read 34561 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,615 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Memphis Depay (PSV)
      Reply #184: May 07, 2015 01:11:03 pm
      I don't believe any transfer until its on the offical site.

With this one, why would'nt the ;ad go and play for the manager who took him to the last world cup.

Some folk relaly need to take a step back and look at some common sense with transfer rumours.

Some of the sh1t flying round about this transfer is out of order, fek all to do with ambition or wages, this is all down to the lad going where he wants to go.

You could say a bigger name manager rather than BR would maybe attract different kinds of players, but thsi particular lad was always going to play for van gaal. IMO.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #185: May 07, 2015 01:16:13 pm
      f**k it, Ings will be better, free transfer, British and prem proven!

Fact.

Hw will be worth at least £50 million in two season!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #186: May 07, 2015 01:25:45 pm
      thsi particular lad was always going to play for van gaal. IMO.
      I don't fella... I reckon he might have went to say Bayern, Barcelona or Real, for e.g. before United (if they had been interested).Maybe even City, Chelsea or PSV.

Still you may have a point... It'll be interesting to see how many former players Van Gaal attracts when he has competition, from top clubs, for their signature.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #187: May 07, 2015 01:28:27 pm
      Nothing to see here move along.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #188: May 07, 2015 01:43:59 pm
      Interesting to see so many negative comments.

Had we signed Depay and had he been a flop in 12 months time you would all be back on here saying FSG are a joke and we need to buy proven experienced players.

Anybody remember Markovic?

Personally not that bothered about missing out on this one.

Bier
      Reply #189: May 07, 2015 01:51:47 pm

Had we signed Depay and had he been a flop in 12 months time you would all be back on here saying FSG are a joke and we need to buy proven experienced players.

People are more annoyed that again we're missing out on what seemed to be a top target for us. There's no doubt we'd be in a better position if we managed to secure more of our top targets in the past. If you're not bothered with missing out on Depay, then you might want to consider that our backup targets are unlikely to be any better.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,689 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #190: May 07, 2015 01:59:00 pm

Remember Costa, Willian, Sanchez?
      Rememer every top target the club runs away from as soon as another "top" club shows an interest.

Liverpool currently saving other PL clubs a fortune on scouts.
      Watch Liverpool.
      Sign their targets.
      Leave Liverpool with the sh*te.
      Repeat
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,449 posts | 6433 
      Reply #191: May 07, 2015 02:01:02 pm
      Going to be real interesting to see what this deal is worth (and what the wages that were offered).
      Bier
      Reply #192: May 07, 2015 02:11:18 pm
      Going to be real interesting to see what this deal is worth (and what the wages that were offered).

27.5 million euros, with possible bonusses that could lead upto 4.5 million euros, and PSV gets an unknown % if he is sold on. So basically including bonusses about 24 million pounds total, plus the sell on clause. The transfer fee wasn't the issue though, PSV director said very early on that all involved clubs were willing and able to pay the fee.

I think it came down to Depay. And from what I understand United only officially came in yesterday to really talk and finalised the deal quickly. I think Depay probably knew this all along and was waiting for them.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,932 posts | 977 
      Reply #193: May 07, 2015 02:13:24 pm
      Remember Costa, Willian, Sanchez?
      Rememer every top target the club runs away from as soon as another "top" club shows an interest.

Do you really think we ever had a realistic chance of signing this kid? He always wanted to move to United because of his relationship with LVG. As soon as they registered an interest, we were out of the equation.

Plenty other top quality players out there to be had. No need to panic yet.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #194: May 07, 2015 02:17:29 pm
      Know what? This has just epitomised everything that's wrong with our club. EVERYTHING.

He was young, GENUINE potential, a Rodgers type signing, screw that, he was an FSG type signing, and all the talk was how it looked probable he was going to join us. Once again though (for whatever reason), we'll miss out. ONCE AGAIN.

We're mugs. Can just see the chavs/arse/citeh/scum fans laughing because we even thought for a second we were going to buy Willian/Depay/Costa etc. Mugs :mad:

BBC reporting at least £25m so guaranteed we pissed our pants at having to go over £20m.

Just so fu**ed off with FSG right now. I really do feel I'm at the end of my tether with them.

Not just this one signing; it's the straw that broke the camel's back scenario.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #195: May 07, 2015 02:23:50 pm
      Do you really think we ever had a realistic chance of signing this kid? He always wanted to move to United because of his relationship with LVG. As soon as they registered an interest, we were out of the equation.

Almost giving up hope to be honest.

You know, it wouldn't be so bad if one or two of our signings actually did turn out to be special! Maybe next season right? Well, dejavu it is then

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #196: May 07, 2015 02:24:16 pm

At Club level:

Markovic - 24 goals in 145 appearances - One goal in every six games
      Depay - 49 goals in 124 appearances - One goal in every two and a half games.

Massive difference in their stats with Depay looking very much the natural finisher and all round miles better player than Markovic is. Plus stats are beside the point, it's the fact he's yet another signing we've farted around with for two weeks allowing other parties to come in and snatch from under our noses. As a club we cannot close deals and that's the issue facing the club, not who the bloody manager is.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #197: May 07, 2015 02:25:12 pm

Apparently the transfer fee is £25 million not sure about wages.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #198: May 07, 2015 02:29:34 pm
      No fear guys, Ian Ayre and co have Charlie Austin lined up as a world class back up...
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,689 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #199: May 07, 2015 02:34:09 pm

There is no panic.
      Only the acceptance of a fairly obvious pattern.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #200: May 07, 2015 02:39:42 pm
      There is no panic.
      Only the acceptance of a fairly obvious pattern.

The obvious pattern being that we don't always get the players the fans want?
      BR got nearly ALL of his targets last summer, the exception being Sanchez.

As soon as LVG showed interest, Depay was a pipe dream for us.
      He's gone to a manager he knows and presumably trusts.

I also think BR has other priorities this summer than another attacking midfielder.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #201: May 07, 2015 02:53:57 pm
      Sucks to have missed out on a player of Depay's ability. The kid is a real talent.

Just a few points to bring up.

1) Don't underrate the van Gaal factor. Depay worked with him at the World Cup and having some level of familiarity when making this big of a career move is comforting to the player.

2) We need to stop publicly showing in players because it's just a giant embarrassment when we don't land them. It's pathetic, unbecoming, and does not look good for any other potential transfers.

3) And this might be the biggest point: We're not the club of the 70s and 80s anymore. People Depay's age never saw us as a consistently good club that actually won things. We have not won the league in 25 years. Starting in 1990-91, we've become merely a cup team, not a consistent title challenger. We are NOT the biggest club in the world. And, for most players, we are NOT a destination club anymore, but a big team just a hair below the likes of Bayern, Real, Barca, United, even Chelsea. Any time it's a choice between us and one of those clubs, the player will choose the other almost every time. The only way around that is to offer ridiculous wages or, you know, win the league and start being consistently good.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #202: May 07, 2015 02:59:13 pm
      Know what? This has just epitomised everything that's wrong with our club. EVERYTHING.

He was young, GENUINE potential, a Rodgers type signing, screw that, he was an FSG type signing, and all the talk was how it looked probable he was going to join us. Once again though (for whatever reason), we'll miss out. ONCE AGAIN.

We're mugs. Can just see the chavs/arse/citeh/scum fans laughing because we even thought for a second we were going to buy Willian/Depay/Costa etc. Mugs :mad:

BBC reporting at least £25m so guaranteed we pissed our pants at having to go over £20m.

Just so fu**ed off with FSG right now. I really do feel I'm at the end of my tether with them.

Not just this one signing; it's the straw that broke the camel's back scenario.

At least it didn't take long for the next rumour to surface, you know the Liverpool Way.

Oh that's right we can't do it the Liverpool way because we wouldn't then have all the PR bullshit to pretend we were actually in for these top talents. Not to worry though Benteke, Ings, Milner they'll all be signing, couple of marquee players there so we'll be told. At the moment we're a laughing stock in the transfer market.

Said we'd miss out, knew it the moment we'd been linked to him, brace yourselves for another underwhelming summer and another year of 'transition'.

You simply have to laugh now it's got that bad.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,449 posts | 6433 
      Reply #203: May 07, 2015 03:03:49 pm
      27.5 million euros, with possible bonusses that could lead upto 4.5 million euros, and PSV gets an unknown % if he is sold on. So basically including bonusses about 24 million pounds total, plus the sell on clause. The transfer fee wasn't the issue though, PSV director said very early on that all involved clubs were willing and able to pay the fee.

I think it came down to Depay. And from what I understand United only officially came in yesterday to really talk and finalised the deal quickly. I think Depay probably knew this all along and was waiting for them.

Begs the question then, did we not already know this or were we just too blind to realize it? Seems like wasted resources if he was always going to go to United?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,615 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #204: May 07, 2015 03:33:16 pm
      I don't fella... I reckon he might have went to say Bayern, Barcelona or Real, for e.g. before United (if they had been interested).Maybe even City, Chelsea or PSV.

Still you may have a point... It'll be interesting to see how many former players Van Gaal attracts when he has competition, from top clubs, for their signature.

I should maybe have said `if his destination was england\premiership` ;D.

Cos yes, defo Bayern, barca etc. would have been more of a lure than us. SADLY
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,615 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #205: May 07, 2015 03:34:27 pm
      Begs the question then, did we not already know this or were we just too blind to realize it? Seems like wasted resources if he was always going to go to United?

You will probably find the top 20/30 clubs in Europe are all scouting the same players at some point.

that is where finding the hidden Jems becomes more important.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,449 posts | 6433 
      Reply #206: May 07, 2015 03:48:38 pm
      In an interview published on SEG Football’s Facebook page, Depay said: “It was an exciting and pretty hectic period, and to have a choice between so many top clubs doesn’t make it any easier.

“For me, Manchester United is an absolute dream club, so I didn’t need any convincing of the guys who already play at Manchester United.

“They told me only positive things though, and I’m looking forward to playing with my Dutch team-mates next to all the other great players of Manchester United. And working with manager Louis van Gaal again is also a big bonus.”

Asked if there were lots of other teams interested in signing him, he added: “Yes, but you shouldn’t believe all the rumours in the media. In the end it was just a matter of feeling, not a matter of money.”

Quick Reply