Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Let's try boring football

Read 7325 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,520 posts | 1509 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: Let's try boring football
      Reply #46: May 09, 2015 07:27:24 am
      Taking advice from that OAP these days, are we?
      Who said we're taking his advice? It's a solid philosophy on how to win games - do with it whatever you want. Besides, good advice is good advice and where it comes from is irrelevant. Ignore it if you think you should - but it doesn't change the fact that a sound defence is critical when after league titles.

I remember how his replacement got on with trying it. I remember how it worked for Chelsea last year too.
      Moyes changed things and did it his way; perhaps he's just wasn't as good a manager. Mourhino needed a few replacement players - and then when he got them, he went on to win the league on the back of a solid defence and cagey footballing style. So I'm not entirely sure your point is a valid one.

We've conceded 5 goals away from home since Christmas, so the defence has tightened up without changing our approach. We conceded 5 goals in the last 2 away games last season alone.
      Perhaps if he had played it more cagey against certain teams, we'd have won a few more games. An efficient defence helps to do that but isn't the main point here; which is, we need to adapt how we approach certain teams.

Brendan said on last year's DVD that his philosophy is "Start Fast, Finish Strong". He won't change, so you just have to like it or live with it.
      Or, as I read that "Hit them so fast so hard they won't have enough time to score enough goals to beat you so don't worry if you concede 51 goals a season". This season we've conceded 38 goals with 3 games to go, and we are 5th with the worst goals conceded tally in the top 5. You can do the maths

As for your last point, you don't know he won't change. Managers tend to evolve and Rodgers tends to learn from his mistakes so who is to say he won't adopt a more defensive strategy in future?

Alternatively, we can go back to the boring days of controlling the game. But what it won't bring us is League Championships.
      During the 30 years of our dominance we played cagey defensive football which on times wasn't pretty to watch; we adapted against teams we happened to be playing at any given moment. To take a Paisley phrase "It isn't about the long ball or the short ball it's about the right ball" (or something very similar to that). Meaning, we'll do whatever we have to do (i.e. we'll play any way) to win football matches. It wasn't all sexy attacking football back then, we'd also stifle games by nullifying and stifling teams in order to secure the points we needed. 

When we were successful it was because we adapted when we played certain teams. We are not doing that now and it's my opinion we should be.
      « Last Edit: May 09, 2015 11:15:53 am by Rush »
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #47: May 09, 2015 11:00:29 am
      Just give me 30 dull 1-0 league wins every season.  Thanks. 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,255 posts | 8578 
      Reply #48: May 12, 2015 03:12:16 pm
      Brendan said on last year's DVD that his philosophy is "Start Fast, Finish Strong". He won't change, so you just have to like it or live with it.

Alternatively, we can go back to the boring days of controlling the game. But what it won't bring us is League Championships.

What happened to finishing strong then? From Man U at home onwards we've been anything but strong.

Would rather control a game and win, rather than win the stats and lose!!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,275 posts | 4937 
      Reply #49: May 12, 2015 03:18:15 pm
      What happened to finishing strong then? From Man U at home onwards we've been anything but strong.

Would rather control a game and win, rather than win the stats and lose!!

The collapse after the semi final and sheer lack of desire from all involved in the following week has been the most disappointing aspect of this season.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #50: May 12, 2015 09:25:01 pm
      The collapse after the semi final and sheer lack of desire from all involved in the following week has been the most disappointing aspect of this season.

At a time when it could have made our season (either through winning a cup, or qualifying for CL), but as per usual, this team bottled it when the pressure was on.

I really struggle to word how much I dislike the mentality I've seen on the pitch this season, no fight whatsoever.

Quick Reply