Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

The Woes - With a Spin! To keep certain people happy!!!!

Read 3403 times
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      The Woes - With a Spin! To keep certain people happy!!!!
      Oct 29, 2007 08:59:49 am
      Would we have taken played 10 / 20 points before the season had started - yes!  So a positive.

Would we have taken played 3 / 1 point Champions League - No!  So a negative.

Did some fans expect us to be serious challengers this term?  Yes, me for one!

Did early season form, show this was justified?  Yes, we got the results!

Are some fans dissapointed with our current performances / results - Yes.  Is this justified?  WHY NOT!

Do we look like a team with confidence - NO.  WHY the hell not!

I honestly believe, that rotation has caused us to look dis-jointed - we are not playing as a fluid team.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Re: The Woes - With a Spin! To keep certain people happy!!!!
      Reply #1: Oct 29, 2007 10:05:59 am
      I think many people are getting the ACTUAL amount of rotation that has taken place with the crippling amount of injuries the squad has suffered this season to date.

Richobaz
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #2: Oct 29, 2007 10:11:08 am
      Rotation has been done to death on here - but what's with this Formation Rotation that now seems to be happening!

Rafa, likes to swap players and now he's swapping our style of play week in week out!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #3: Oct 29, 2007 10:18:45 am
      If a player is injured he has to swap him ffs!

This season JC, SF, AA, DA, FA, HK, JP, SG, MS, XA, JM, FT - have all been swapped-out as you put it - because they were not fit to play... or would you prefer them to play in a lovely formation and end-up playing like FT did yesterday - was crocked from the 1st minute!
      Richobaz
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #4: Oct 29, 2007 10:59:57 am
      If a player is injured he has to swap him ffs!

This season JC, SF, AA, DA, FA, HK, JP, SG, MS, XA, JM, FT - have all been swapped-out as you put it - because they were not fit to play... or would you prefer them to play in a lovely formation and end-up playing like FT did yesterday - was crocked from the 1st minute!

Sorry but you are wrong!!!!

We could have played Babel on the left and Yossi on the right yesterday - two natural wide players.  Get your facts right before you start putting your 'ffs' on this site please.

But Rafa decided to play Kuyt and Voronin on the wings - which is a selection/formation disaster!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #5: Oct 29, 2007 11:07:57 am
      Sorry but you are wrong!!!!

We could have played Babel on the left and Yossi on the right yesterday - two natural wide players.  Get your facts right before you start putting your 'ffs' on this site please.

But Rafa decided to play Kuyt and Voronin on the wings - which is a selection/formation disaster!

Didn't realise this thread was only referring to yesterday.

I (FFS) thought for a second it referred to all the games dating back to the start of the season. Silly me.

Oh btw - frankly fine sir (= ffs)....what *were* you thinking? ;D.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #6: Oct 29, 2007 11:09:42 am

Such a disater that we drew against probably the best team in Europe right now ???
      Richobaz
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #7: Oct 29, 2007 11:11:46 am
      you know what ffs meant!  And you're not funny!

The formation was about yesterday and all our games.  I cannot be negative about injuries - that's no-ones fault.  But I can be critical of changing formations for the sake of the opposition and then playing people in positions they are not accustomed too!
      « Last Edit: Oct 29, 2007 11:15:54 am by Richobaz »
      Richobaz
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #8: Oct 29, 2007 11:14:06 am
      Such a disater that we drew against probably the best team in Europe right now ???

The result was positive - the performance wasn't - in my opinion!

In your words, Arsenal are the currently the best team in Europe.  Why aren't Liverpool - ED?  Surely that's negative, and show's something isn't quite right?

So you're happy with Kuyt and Voronin playing on the wings then - silly me, I must be missing something.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #9: Oct 29, 2007 11:15:31 am

The formation was about yesterday and all our games.  I cannot be negative about injuries - that's no-ones fault.  But I can be critical of changing formations for the sake of the opposition and then playing people in prositions they are not accustomed too!

Sounds like you've been playing Football Manager too much on the old xbox...

Rafa plays the cards with those available to him at that time - I thought we looked decent in the first half hour with that forward 3. Although Fernando looked short of pace from the very start.  I personally would have started with Yossi instead of Voro... but that's why Rafa is the manager and me and you are not. He decides. End of.

Oh and I might not be funny - but I would have a decent bet you are a bit of a fanny though... ;0)

Can you feel the love?
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #10: Oct 29, 2007 11:16:36 am
      silly me, I must be missing something.

A brain - perhaps?
      Richobaz
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #11: Oct 29, 2007 11:17:24 am
      Sounds like you've been playing Football Manager too much on the old xbox...

Rafa plays the cards with those available to him at that time - I thought we looked decent in the first half hour with that forward 3. Although Fernando looked short of pace from the very start.  I personally would have started with Yossi instead of Voro... but that's why Rafa is the manager and me and you are not. He decides. End of.

Oh and I might not be funny - but I would have a decent bet you are a bit of a fanny though... ;0)

Can you feel the love?

Another Wally getting personal - what's wrong with people not being able to banter there views!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #12: Oct 29, 2007 11:22:34 am
      Another Wally getting personal - what's wrong with people not being able to banter there views!

If you look for it - my view is in the middle of the personal stuff fella.

Anyway, how did you know my name was Walter? (bit pesonal isn't it?)
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #13: Oct 29, 2007 11:33:23 am

In your words, Arsenal are the currently the best team in Europe.  Why aren't Liverpool - ED?  Surely that's negative, and show's something isn't quite right?

So you're happy with Kuyt and Voronin playing on the wings then - silly me, I must be missing something.

Yes, on current form I believe Arsenal are the best team in Europe, I also believe though that we will have a run during which we will be the best team in Europe or close enough.

Kuyt & Voronin didn't play on the wings yesterday, they played as wide strikers. Kuyt IMO did very well in the role, Voronin didn't, but that's a question of personell not tactics, I think the tactic worked well.
      Richobaz
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #14: Oct 29, 2007 11:40:55 am
      Yes, on current form I believe Arsenal are the best team in Europe, I also believe though that we will have a run during which we will be the best team in Europe or close enough.

Kuyt & Voronin didn't play on the wings yesterday, they played as wide strikers. Kuyt IMO did very well in the role, Voronin didn't, but that's a question of personell not tactics, I think the tactic worked well.

They played as wide strikers on the WING!  So they are Stricker Wingers - that's a new one to me!

EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #15: Oct 29, 2007 11:42:38 am
      No mate, there is a big difference between wide strikers and wingers, and I know you're intelligent enough to know the difference so I'm not gonna go into it.
      Richobaz
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #16: Oct 29, 2007 11:47:19 am
      No mate, there is a big difference between wide strikers and wingers, and I know you're intelligent enough to know the difference so I'm not gonna go into it.
      That's the first compliment you've given me - I knew you'd come round.  You're officially part of the Negative Gang.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #17: Oct 29, 2007 12:16:10 pm
      They played as wide strikers on the WING!  So they are Stricker Wingers - that's a new one to me!

No they didn't JAR and SF came up as wing backs on the offensive ... (JAR doing this rather badly for the record) ...and Kuyt and Voro acted as wide strikers on the offensive and as part of a 5 man midfield on the defence.

You should study the game more... maybe you just get too wound-up with Rafa's beard or something to concentrate on what is actually going on? (just a thought).
      Richobaz
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #18: Oct 29, 2007 12:24:50 pm
      No they didn't JAR and SF came up as wing backs on the offensive ... (JAR doing this rather badly for the record) ...and Kuyt and Voro acted as wide strikers on the offensive and as part of a 5 man midfield on the defence.

You should study the game more... maybe you just get too wound-up with Rafa's beard or something to concentrate on what is actually going on? (just a thought).

May be you're right -  I wish I was more like you !
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #19: Oct 29, 2007 12:34:40 pm
      May be you're right -  I wish I was more like you !

You're not alone a lot of people do.

Signed picture in the post at the end of the season if you stop winding all the sane people on here up. Pretty promise.

Yours truly,
      God
      (not the Fowler variety either)

Richobaz
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #20: Oct 29, 2007 12:42:03 pm
      You're not alone a lot of people do.

Signed picture in the post at the end of the season if you stop winding all the sane people on here up. Pretty promise.

Yours truly,
      God
      (not the Fowler variety either)

You'll soon be gone !
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #21: Oct 29, 2007 12:46:29 pm

You wish.

It's worth coming on here just to scramble your one (lost in space) neurone every afternoon.

Can you feel the luuuuurve....?
      Richobaz
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #22: Oct 29, 2007 12:52:41 pm
      You wish.

It's worth coming on here just to scramble your one (lost in space) neurone every afternoon.

Can you feel the luuuuurve....?

You've given the game away about your age!

My son is two and watches 'Nina and the Neurons' on Cbeebies.  Back tomorrow aren't you? 

donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #23: Oct 29, 2007 01:49:59 pm
      You've given the game away about your age!

My son is two and watches 'Nina and the Neurons' on Cbeebies.  Back tomorrow aren't you? 

Who? What?

BTW - How does it feel to have a son mentally superior to his dad?
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #24: Oct 29, 2007 03:25:46 pm
      If you two want to argue, do it via PM.
      Istvan Kozma
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 165 posts | 31 
      Reply #25: Oct 29, 2007 03:47:17 pm

It was a positive performance considering the current form of both sides... And no, the fact that Arsenal could be considered the best side in Europe at the moment cannot be classed as a negative for Liverpool.  I understand what you're trying to imply, but Liverpool are yet to hit top form, and in my opinion Arsenal will drop points throughout the season.  They may be the best footballing side to watch at present, but that doesn't guarantee Premiership success.

Also, Voronin and Kuyt were used either side of a three man strike force, and not wingers, in my opinion.  However, I would have thought that Babel and Benayoun would have been better options, as they offer more creativity.
      « Last Edit: Oct 29, 2007 03:50:16 pm by Istvan Kozma »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #26: Oct 29, 2007 07:44:07 pm

The formation was about yesterday and all our games.  I cannot be negative about injuries - that's no-ones fault.  But I can be critical of changing formations for the sake of the opposition and then playing people in positions they are not accustomed too!

Richobaz, it's common knowledge that Rafa will change formations and players depending on the opposition. This for me is a positive point to his style of management as it shows he goes into detail in his preparations and as a result has given us many positive results in the past especially when the odds seemed stacked against us.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6967 
      Reply #27: Oct 29, 2007 08:57:39 pm
      Two European Cup Finals, an FA Cup final, a record Premiership season, European Super Cup win.  Top of the table position for the first time in 5 years. 6 points off the top with a game in hand.

Yeah Benitez - listen to all of us telling you where you're going wrong. ;)
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #28: Oct 30, 2007 10:33:18 am
      Two European Cup Finals, an FA Cup final, a record Premiership season, European Super Cup win.  Top of the table position for the first time in 5 years. 6 points off the top with a game in hand.

Yeah Benitez - listen to all of us telling you where you're going wrong. ;)

World Club Champions runner-up...One Charity Shield.

All Rafa doubters - roll-it up gently, stuff it in your pipe and smoke.

The guy is a football genius.

Look at the mess Valencia have been in since he left... only yesterday sacked their latest manager!
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #29: Oct 30, 2007 12:37:22 pm
      ^^QFT.

And Valencia probably have a better squad than when Rafa was in charge....A very good Morientes/Villa partnership up front...Silva flourishing....Joaquin etc....
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #30: Oct 30, 2007 01:48:20 pm
      I think we played some of the best football since the beginning of the season.  When I saw the 4-3-3 formation in the warm up I was a bit worried but it worked quite well and as the stats show we had as many chances as Arsenal.  Did Arsenal pass the ball around better than us? Yes.  Was their movement better than us? Yes.  What Arsenal lack is a clinical cutting edge as we do at the moment with Torres not fit and Voronin and Kuyt not doing it.

I admit I was seriously worried before the game that we could have been stuffed, particularly with Arsenal coming in on a good run with their confidence high and us on the back of a poor run with our confidence low.  This makes the result and our performance even more creditable. 

One thing I must take up is the performance of Kuyt.  No one can critcise his effort.  He gives 200% in every game.  What bothers me is his control in that the ball bounces off him far too much which allowed Arsenal to easily nullify his threat.  A lot of his running seemed to be trying to recover balls he has lost.  I remember on one occasion the ball was played out to him from defence but he was closed down by their defender and he seemed to have no answer as to how to get past him.

This is a major concern to me as we can't expect a fit Torres to do it all himself.   
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      What I don't get
      Reply #31: Nov 01, 2007 08:22:17 pm
      What I don't get about Rafa is that he continues to leave our adventurous players on the bench and play the not so adventurous players. Also I don't get the fact that he continues to play off-form players and leave the young hungry players to rot in reserves.

Blackburn tough game or not, I'd actually consider starting Lucas, El Zhar & Insua because neither of them have done any worse than the senior players and they are probably more hungry for competition.

Anyway going back to why Rafa leaves out the adventurous players, I mean look at how well Benayoun plays! He is a fantastic player, very creative, very quick and a very good thinker. He can keep possesion of the ball and has brilliant technique... but I find it bizarre that Benitez continues to start him on the bench for most games. You telling me the clueless Pennant could do a better job than Benayoun? Or Riise? I doubt it very much.

Lucas should be starting far more games, he's got touches of class in him, not tried anything spectacular yet but he's still a new boy and he knows what he's capable off. Play him more often, and he'll be confident to show you what he's got.. but I reckon he's not going to get the chance to improve his career when Sissoko & Alonso are still here.

Another thing I don't get is why Rafa has so much faith in Sissoko.. I mean he's PANTS and he would never make it at any other top team.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Re: What I don't get
      Reply #32: Nov 01, 2007 08:30:58 pm
      What I don't get about Rafa is that he continues to leave our adventurous players on the bench and play the not so adventurous players. Also I don't get the fact that he continues to play off-form players and leave the young hungry players to rot in reserves.

Blackburn tough game or not, I'd actually consider starting Lucas, El Zhar & Insua because neither of them have done any worse than the senior players and they are probably more hungry for competition.

Anyway going back to why Rafa leaves out the adventurous players, I mean look at how well Benayoun plays! He is a fantastic player, very creative, very quick and a very good thinker. He can keep possesion of the ball and has brilliant technique... but I find it bizarre that Benitez continues to start him on the bench for most games. You telling me the clueless Pennant could do a better job than Benayoun? Or Riise? I doubt it very much.

Lucas should be starting far more games, he's got touches of class in him, not tried anything spectacular yet but he's still a new boy and he knows what he's capable off. Play him more often, and he'll be confident to show you what he's got.. but I reckon he's not going to get the chance to improve his career when Sissoko & Alonso are still here.

Another thing I don't get is why Rafa has so much faith in Sissoko.. I mean he's PANTS and he would never make it at any other top team.

I'd start considering Lucas a lot more at the minute! I agree that El Zhar and Insua would be hungry but I don't think they'd fare as well in the league matches!

Agreed too on Benayoun, although he is effective coming off the bench and changing games!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,130 posts | 456 
      Reply #33: Nov 01, 2007 08:47:59 pm

Let me get this right you are trying to say lets forget the title this season and try develop some youngsters this season!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #34: Nov 01, 2007 09:26:40 pm

Let me get this right you are trying to say lets forget the title this season and try develop some youngsters this season!

Mate I don't want to sound too negative but the way we are playing, we'll never win the Premiership.
      It's Rafa's tactics, they are set out so we don't lose.. thats why we don't lose but draw a hell of a lot of the time.
      I'm 100% sure we won't win the Premiership this season, looking at Arsenal, United & Chelsea.. we are still a class below which we need to work on before thinking of winning that title.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #35: Nov 02, 2007 01:01:51 am
      Mate I don't want to sound too negative but the way we are playing, we'll never win the Premiership.
      It's Rafa's tactics, they are set out so we don't lose.. thats why we don't lose but draw a hell of a lot of the time.
      I'm 100% sure we won't win the Premiership this season.

Chin up mate!  Just have a little faith ;)

I can see where you are coming from about Arsenal & United being a different class because they are playing football to kill at the minute.

Chelsea aren't a problem at the minute.  As long as we sort it out and in the mean time I don't care if we play sluggish to win!

At the end of the season there will be one team standing.  I don't care how we do it.

Quick Reply