Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 9th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P11 W6 D4 L1

The Transfer Committee Thread

Read 104128 times
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Re: The Transfer Committee Thread
      Reply #1173: Feb 02, 2016 10:27:53 pm
      Klopp does not have any power to fire the transfer committee Erik, most are there with the blessing of JWH&Co.

Yep, if anything goes wrong, its more likely to be the manager thrown under the bus rather than JWH annihilating the dreaded committee. The committee are all 'yes men' - you don't get authority form scouts who have kow towed with low league club and are now - hilariously - telling JWH which players a top club like Liverpool should buy!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1174: Feb 02, 2016 10:27:57 pm

I've always been sceptical of an overhaul, wondering whether giving them time to bed for a season would be better, but considering Klopp conducted on in his first year in charge suggests we may have to do so.

So who us out? Can, Moreno, Lucas, Benteke, Lallana? (Let's be honest - Lucas isn't getting any younger and was terrible tonight, and only looks good in recent years because the team's quality has lowered).

Well, I'm sure we can all agree that the "OUTS' should include Hunter, Edwards, Fallows, Gordon and Ayre. C*nts.

The big, big difference though is the talent available at the club's disposal. Virtually every Bundesliga player can play, and almost none of them move between German clubs on outlandish fees. The Premier League is a whole different animal. I reckon a Dortmund-like overhaul will be very expensive.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1175: Feb 02, 2016 10:28:50 pm

I've always been sceptical of an overhaul, wondering whether giving them time to bed for a season would be better, but considering Klopp conducted on in his first year in charge suggests we may have to do so.

So who us out? Can, Moreno, Lucas, Benteke, Lallana? (Let's be honest - Lucas isn't getting any younger and was terrible tonight, and only looks good in recent years because the team's quality has lowered).

Well, I'm sure we can all agree that the "OUTS' should include Hunter, Edwards, Fallows, Gordon and Ayre. C*nts.

Can is going nowhere and neither is Gordon the rest maybe.
      Scottbot

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1176: Feb 02, 2016 10:29:50 pm
      We took £340,000+ off the wage bill in the last two seasons. The problem is we've added £40,000 to the wage bill in the same period of time but rather than on two world class players, it's been added across six mediocre players. We can't compete on raw numbers but we can bring in limited numbers of top talent on top wages each season if we spent our money more wisely.

That for me is the route of the problem, none of those players has worked. Is it the transfer committee (plus the previous managers fault?) or is the problem the model they are having to work too? You can change the scouting team and the men who sit on the committee or perhaps give Jürgen absolute power BUT there is a good chance that we'll get the same results.

I understand that we cannot compete with City or Chelsea on every transfer or generally on wages, I absolutely get it BUT when we sold Suarez we should have used that money to buy a couple of absolutely proven forwards. This would have meant two big fees and some serious wages to boot. They could and should have busted their own self imposed rules even if it was just for that summer but we didn't, and have been paying the price ever since.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #1177: Feb 02, 2016 10:31:16 pm
      The big, big difference though is the talent available at the club's disposal. Virtually every Bundesliga player can play, and almost none of them move between German clubs on outlandish fees. The Premier League is a whole different animal. I reckon a Dortmund-like overhaul will be very expensive.

True that. Perhaps the process should be incremental with youth players phasing out the useless bas**rds like Moreno and co.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #1178: Feb 02, 2016 10:33:48 pm
      True that. Perhaps the process should be incremental with youth players phasing out the useless bas**rds like Moreno and co.

would it be totally wrong to put any  money we have into the spine of the team Goalkeepers and strikers make the difference when it counts.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1179: Feb 02, 2016 10:33:48 pm

I'd be up for that, and I know a lot of others would be as well. We can see players like Smith, Ojo, Brannagan, etc. have talent, and sending them to lower division teams isn't going to help them develop any more than they already have. Time to give them legit shouts.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #1180: Feb 02, 2016 10:34:44 pm
      According to the numbers we have not; according with the numbers we have added £12 millon/season to the wage bill the past 3 seasons; the issue is we do not have an additional £40-60 million/year to just throw at salary...where does this come from? We have the 5th biggest salary by a long shot £40 million more than the 6th highest paying club...just don't see where we are going to close that gap.

PL Wage Bill                       
                                                13/14      14/15       15/16
      3   Chelsea                       Â£190m   Â£192.7m   Â£215.6m
      1   Manchester United      £187m   Â£215.8m    £203 m
      2   Manchester City          £216m   Â£205m     Â£193.8m
      4   Arsenal                      £166.4m  £180.4m   Â£192m
      5   Liverpool                     Â£140m   Â£144m      £152m

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/english-premier-league-wage-bills-club-by-club/

Sorry I worded it wrong. I mean to say we've added an additional £40K to the wage bill across those signings, if that makes sense? I'm basically saying it's two off the wage bill, and rather than adding two players on for more or less the same amount, we've added six.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1181: Feb 02, 2016 10:34:46 pm
      I understand that we cannot compete with City or Chelsea on every transfer or generally on wages, I absolutely get it BUT when we sold Suarez we should have used that money to buy a couple of absolutely proven forwards. This would have meant two big fees and some serious wages to boot. They could and should have busted their own self imposed rules even if it was just for that summer but we didn't, and have been paying the price ever since.

This is true...we are paying Sturridge & Benteke £260,000/week and getting ZERO production there is a lot of room for improvement with bang on quality players.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #1182: Feb 02, 2016 10:36:49 pm
      There is just no progression with this squad none at all it needs breaking up completely so forget next season in the league too.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #1183: Feb 02, 2016 10:38:06 pm
      This is true...we are paying Sturridge & Benteke £260,000/week and getting ZERO production there is a lot of room for improvement with bang on quality players.

How can people say FSG are smart people when you look at that 260k per week with no return its utter madness and very poor management
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1184: Feb 02, 2016 10:39:55 pm
      How can people say FSG are smart people when you look at that 260k per week with no return its utter madness and very poor management

because they'll have people paying £77 a ticket to fund it.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #1185: Feb 02, 2016 10:42:14 pm
      because they'll have people paying £77 a ticket to fund it.

not if we continue like this they won't.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #1186: Feb 03, 2016 05:15:34 am
      not if we continue like this they won't.

I'm not so sure Walt. It took ages for attendances to drop when H@G owned the club, even though fans knew we were being screwed by them.
      Things couldn't be going better for FSG, the new TV deal, sponsorships, and now the price hike in seats, all while ensuring expectations are kept low with zero world class players brought into the club, and any we had sold off.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #1187: Feb 03, 2016 09:45:37 am
      Its a catch 22 coz we all praised them last season for getting the transfers in early and then further on at the start of this one for backing Rodgers in getting his man (Benteke). The fact that he hasnt worked is simply compounded by the fact that so many other attacking starters are either injured or coming back from injury. I think we can all agree that it would be alot less of a knee jerk had results gone our way. I mean nobody could foresee that these expensive transfers wouldnt work out (Lovren, Lallana, Benteke and to lesser extent Markovic and Firmino) these all +20mill signings.

We need to look at ourselves too...i see people calling for Dele Alli now or Mahrez and Vardy next... these are exactly the players we purchased above that hasnt worked out (Premier league standard players).

The simple fact is, Jürgen will need to identify the players he needs for his system and try to get rid of as many as he doesnt need in the current squad then start again. The truth will remain that if the new players get it wrong next season, the TC will again bear the bulk of the blame. Personally i think we are 3 quality players short of a challenging team (Leader, Defender and a goal scorer). An injection of leadership and quality will be enough to help elevate some of our underperformers and get them playing better more consistently. 
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1188: Feb 03, 2016 01:09:36 pm
      Every Summer we have a big clear out of all the sh*te we bought the previous Summer
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #1189: Feb 03, 2016 01:15:09 pm
      Every Summer we have a big clear out of all the sh*te we bought the previous Summer

maybe we should have advertised our "January Sale" better come and make us an offer for our dross type of thing all offers considered a free Baseball Cap with every player
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #1190: Feb 03, 2016 02:14:09 pm

- I would like to have seen us sign less players over the past few years and to have invested more money (both in fee and wages) on better players. It's as simple as that for me. This moneyball mantra might work in baseball but its shi....te in football.

We tried it for two decades before FSG got here when we had more money to spend than most other teams.

Now we have less money than our rivals, trying to win by outspending them means we will never win the league again.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #1191: Feb 03, 2016 02:20:02 pm
      maybe we should have advertised our "January Sale" better come and make us an offer for our dross type of thing all offers considered a free Baseball Cap with every player
      Learn from the Ukrainian and test the waters on how much we'll get for them . Mugs we are .

IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,484 posts | 344 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #1192: Feb 03, 2016 03:05:01 pm
      I've come to the realisation that throwing money at it just isn't working, but it's exactly what we wanted. Now, maybe not on the calibre of players we have seen come in over the last two years but we did want to see the money being spent.

We also have to realise that we've become a significantly less desirable place to come to for a player with the lack of consistency regarding Champions League qualification and winning silverware over the last number of years. I agree there are some questionable signings and some questionable amounts spent on certain players, but have they done the best they can given the circumstances?

For example, if we wanted a Real Madrid or Barcelona player that the respective club were willing to sell, would you as a player come to LFC as it stood within the last two seasons? Taking my bias aside, I wouldn't have. I'd never have left as the club was languishing mid table with no chance of CL qualification so I could play against the best sides in Europe and have very little chance of winning silverware/medals.

I do believe however, that Klopp and the TC will be instrumental in signing some gems over the next few seasons. There's always been an eye for talent at Dortmund when he was there and he seems to get the best out of players. He also knows what he wants, and isn't afraid to make a decision.

I personally am looking forward to the summer window, I want to see some players sold that just don't fit the bill whilst seeing some fresh faces being brought in. I wouldn't be surprised to see a youngster or two make the leap from U21's/Reserves to the first team also.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #1193: Feb 03, 2016 03:21:07 pm
      I've come to the realisation that throwing money at it just isn't working, but it's exactly what we wanted. Now, maybe not on the calibre of players we have seen come in over the last two years but we did want to see the money being spent.

We also have to realise that we've become a significantly less desirable place to come to for a player with the lack of consistency regarding Champions League qualification and winning silverware over the last number of years. I agree there are some questionable signings and some questionable amounts spent on certain players, but have they done the best they can given the circumstances?

For example, if we wanted a Real Madrid or Barcelona player that the respective club were willing to sell, would you as a player come to LFC as it stood within the last two seasons? Taking my bias aside, I wouldn't have. I'd never have left as the club was languishing mid table with no chance of CL qualification so I could play against the best sides in Europe and have very little chance of winning silverware/medals.

I do believe however, that Klopp and the TC will be instrumental in signing some gems over the next few seasons. There's always been an eye for talent at Dortmund when he was there and he seems to get the best out of players. He also knows what he wants, and isn't afraid to make a decision.

I personally am looking forward to the summer window, I want to see some players sold that just don't fit the bill whilst seeing some fresh faces being brought in. I wouldn't be surprised to see a youngster or two make the leap from U21's/Reserves to the first team also.

Again I point to the fact that the money isn't the issue, it's what we're spending it on that is. We've spent more than Arsenal in the last five years but what we've spent it on is of substantially lower quality and/or experience than they have. We spend huge amounts on kids, they spend huge amounts on World Cup winners and that's the difference. It's often said that we can't compete with Chelsea but over the last five years they've spent less than £7 million a season more than us, hardly the gulf in spending power the owners would like us to believe. But again they're more successful because they're buying the right players for them as a club, were as we've operated a scattergun approach to transfers. It's not what you pay its who you sign and who we've been signing has not been good enough.

Scottbot

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1194: Feb 03, 2016 05:21:10 pm
      We tried it for two decades before FSG got here when we had more money to spend than most other teams.

Now we have less money than our rivals, trying to win by outspending them means we will never win the league again.

Well let's keep doing what we've been doing then fella. Apparently that's the answer in your book? Another 6th, 7th or 8th position finish then? There is an adage that says keep doing the same and you can expect the same results.

For the hundredth time I'm not advocating outspending our petro dollar rivals, why don't you read? I am advocating making exceptions to our transfer model to sign certain players. I have also suggested that we should not be tied down to only buying players of a certain age. I also said we should/could have bought less players but invested more in the transfer fee/wages.

listen, most people on this forum are happy enough to consider the opinion of others, to acknowledge and even soften their opinion at times, maybe even concede that others might have a point. I can't say I have ever seen this from you, you are a broken record that plays the exact same tune over and over.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #1195: Feb 03, 2016 07:05:09 pm
      After reading the first few posts on this page regarding the significant outgoing and incoming players during Klopp's first season at BVB makes me really happy.

I want to see this squad overhauled, and I suspect that Klopp will not allow the so-called "transfer committee" to lay a finger on his prospective signings.

It'll be his way or the highway. This summer is going to be one hell of a window. Trust me.

Quick Reply