Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Nathaniel Clyne (Southampton) - SIGNED by LFC

Read 60242 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,480 posts | 2863 
      Nathaniel Clyne (Southampton) - SIGNED by LFC
      May 28, 2015 10:42:47 pm
      Liverpool fail with £10 million move for Nathaniel Clyne
      Liverpool have failed in a £10 million bid for Southampton right-back Nathaniel Clyne. The Merseyside club made an official approach for the England international, but fell short in their valuation.

They still hope to secure a deal for the defender, who would solve a full-back problem at Anfield, and will not be dissuaded by having their first bid rejected. There is sure to be another approach for the 24-year-old.

Clyne, recently promoted to the England squad, was one of the players of the season but has only one year left on his contract which is why Liverpool hope he can be signed for an attractive price. Despite missing out on the Champions League, Liverpool are confident they can lure Clyne to Merseyside.

They are desperate for quality in his position. With Glen Johnson leaving on a free transfer, Emre Can was used at right-back in the latter part of the season with poor results.

Clyne would be the fourth signing from Southampton in 12 months, following Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren and Rickie Lambert, all of whom made the journey north with inauspicious results a year ago. A successful Liverpool bid would take their recent spending on Saints players to more than £60 million, with Clyne seen as one of the most promising defenders in the country.

Manchester United showed interest in him earlier this season, but he is not believed to be a priority for Louis van Gaal. Clyne was in contract talks with Southampton for most of last season, but indicated he is considering his options.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11637290/Liverpool-fail-with-10-million-move-for-Nathaniel-Clyne.html

Probably one of the few Premier League players I'd really like to see us go after. Still think United will come in and take him though.
      « Last Edit: Jul 16, 2015 02:14:24 pm by JD »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Re: Nathaniel Clyne (Southampton)
      Reply #1: May 28, 2015 10:44:42 pm
      £10M keep dreaming!

Why didn't we just buy the club last year?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #2: May 28, 2015 10:47:53 pm
      So in this clubs eyes Lovren is worth £20 million and Clyne is only worth £10 million  :lmao:
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3: May 28, 2015 11:42:23 pm
      So in this clubs eyes Lovren is worth £20 million and Clyne is only worth £10 million  :lmao:

Was just about to post the same! :D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Reply #4: May 28, 2015 11:49:01 pm
      Crouchie is going to love this thread.

Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #5: May 28, 2015 11:56:43 pm
      Why are we so obsessed with Southampton? Or is Chris Bascombe trolling again?
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,739 posts | 158 
      Reply #6: May 28, 2015 11:56:57 pm
      Finally someone who is quality, wasn't Man Utd after him? I doubt we will be only the club chasing him. He is one of the RB's in the league .
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Reply #7: May 28, 2015 11:57:44 pm
      Why are we so obsessed with Southampton? Or is Chris Bascombe trolling again?

Because they produce good footballers?
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,739 posts | 158 
      Reply #8: May 28, 2015 11:59:56 pm
      Why are we so obsessed with Southampton?

Come on people can't moan on this one. He is one of the best RB's in the league.
      Plus it's not about being obsessed with Southampton players, it's about buying the right players and last year we bought the wrong ones from them.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #9: May 29, 2015 12:00:33 am
      10 million? We clearly don't actually want him then. Everyone knows he'll be at least 18 million.

Actually that logic is assuming our club know what the F**k they are doing. FSG will think 10 million is overspending.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #10: May 29, 2015 12:06:04 am
      £10M keep dreaming!

Why didn't we just buy the club last year?

Exactly! Him and Schneiderlin, but instead, we ended up with Lovren and Lallana, players we didn't particularly need.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #11: May 29, 2015 12:11:08 am
      Because they produce good footballers?

Good enough to top up or flesh out your squad. Not good enough to add the star dust we're in such desperate need of.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #12: May 29, 2015 12:14:52 am
      10 million? We clearly don't actually want him then. Everyone knows he'll be at least 18 million.

Actually that logic is assuming our club know what the f**k they are doing. FSG will think 10 million is overspending.

Last year of his contract
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Reply #13: May 29, 2015 12:27:42 am
      Good enough to top up or flesh out your squad. Not good enough to add the star dust we're in such desperate need of.

I do agree mate as I think you and I are along the same lines of what we'd like to see this summer.

Personally RB is way down on my list of which a striker is number 1,2 and 3.

I'm not sure we have the budget to be getting carried away on Clyne and would leave the entire defense alone and focus on the attack but if the money is there I think he is a very good full back.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,739 posts | 158 
      Reply #14: May 29, 2015 12:30:52 am
      So people are happy with wisdome and manquillo? RB is also a top priority to me and Clyne is the prefect RB we can get, pacey and very quick. Clyne/ top class midfielder/ top class striker should do it for me.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #15: May 29, 2015 12:31:27 am
      I do agree mate as I think you and I are along the same lines of what we'd like to see this summer.

Personally RB is way down on my list of which a striker is number 1,2 and 3.

I'm not sure we have the budget to be getting carried away on Clyne and would leave the entire defense alone and focus on the attack but if the money is there I think he is a very good full back.

I completely agree. Clyne would have been a great squad signing this year had we conducted our business correctly last year. One of the big positives from this season (probably the only one) is that we increased the number of goals from midfield. Throw those in next year on top of three quality strikers and we'd take some stopping.

So people are happy with wisdome and manquillo? RB is also a top priority to me and Clyne is the prefect RB we can get, pacey and very quick. Clyne/ top class midfielder/ top class striker should do it for me.

It's a question of priorities. How many goals do fullbacks usually net you a season? We need Strikers first and foremost. Two, preferably three top class names coming in because there's a massive question mark on Sturridge's future fitness, Origi is nowhere near ready and the rest are likely on their way out. Once and only once we've secured the services of two to three top name strikers should we be looking at any other positions on the field.
      « Last Edit: May 29, 2015 12:42:46 am by 5timesacharm »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Reply #16: May 29, 2015 12:33:57 am
      So people are happy with wisdome and manquillo?

In an ideal, money no object world?

No.

But we won't have the money to go splashing on fullbacks without it affecting what we have for the forward positionsso I'd be reasonably happy to go into the season with Andre and Manquillo if it meant we signed a couple of top drawer forwards.

It almost likely won't happen though and we'll sign Ings, Milner and then blow £20M on this kid.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #17: May 29, 2015 12:45:12 am
      So 20M on Clyne and 30M on Benteke....I think we all know how this is going to end up  :roll:
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #18: May 29, 2015 12:46:58 am
      In an ideal, money no object world?

No.

But we won't have the money to go splashing on fullbacks without it affecting what we have for the forward positionsso I'd be reasonably happy to go into the season with Andre and Manquillo if it meant we signed a couple of top drawer forwards.

It almost likely won't happen though and we'll sign Ings, Milner and then blow £20M on this kid.

You're acting as though we only have enough for one decently priced transfer. Do you have the inside scoop on how much money we have exactly? You seem to be certain.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #19: May 29, 2015 01:43:54 am
      Why do people always overvalue players?

Clyne has had one decent season, just brought into the national squad and only has one year left. 10 mill is about right.

We have sold internationals for a lot less.

Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #20: May 29, 2015 02:07:38 am
      Priorities? Sorting out that shithole defense  is a major priority, don't you think?

Bring on a full back signing, God knows we need at least one that can defend.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #21: May 29, 2015 02:26:03 am
      Priorities? Sorting out that shithole defense  is a major priority, don't you think?

Bring on a full back signing, God knows we need at least one that can defend.

Well we tried that and look where we ended up. Goals win you matches, not defenders. Doesn't matter if the defence leaks four goals if the strikers bag five. Ideal world we want both, but goals must be a priority for next season. Once that is sorted out then we can look to other areas of the pitch.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #22: May 29, 2015 03:23:44 am
      Guaranteed starter at RB isn't he?

That's what we want, players that improve the first team right away. Sounds like a no brainer.....which means we won't get him.

Quick Reply