Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

James Milner Player Thread (M) (Liverpool > Brighton & HA)

Read 204208 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,471 posts | 4591 
      Re: James Milner Player Thread
      Reply #92: Jun 05, 2015 08:37:02 am
      So Milner wanted assurances of Rodgers future before  he signed?.
      « Last Edit: Jun 05, 2015 08:50:13 am by Shabs »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,217 posts | 4412 
      Reply #93: Jun 05, 2015 08:49:40 am
      James Milner............... not sure really.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #94: Jun 05, 2015 09:44:23 am
      Not a great signing by any stretch, but a solid signing for sure. We're better with him than without him. Currently, I'd put him AHEAD of Henderson, but that is because IMO, Henderson had a poor season and didn't step up to the job at hand. Milner offers all Henderson does and more. Competition for places has certainly taken off in this area at least.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #95: Jun 05, 2015 11:02:51 am
      Welcome to Anfield lad, we're all behind you. Now show all those around you what it means to earn the shirt every game.

All the best to you.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,577 posts | 1805 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #96: Jun 05, 2015 11:05:49 am
      Not a great signing by any stretch, but a solid signing for sure. We're better with him than without him. Currently, I'd put him AHEAD of Henderson, but that is because IMO, Henderson had a poor season and didn't step up to the job at hand. Milner offers all Henderson does and more. Competition for places has certainly taken off in this area at least.

Milner is ahead of all our midfield except coutinho mate.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #97: Jun 05, 2015 04:17:38 pm
      Had this signing been made by Klopp, people would be rubbing themselves in delight.

Fair point.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #98: Jun 05, 2015 04:17:38 pm
      I'm really pleased with us getting Milner, he's consistent, will be able to do a top job in most areas and will work his arse off.
      Having said that though, I'd like it if we had some cohesion, by that I mean, players that play in a position most of the time, their preferred one if possible. If he's here to play CM then he plays there, not all over the shop game to game.
      Contradicted myself there a bit.

Good to see us get a deal done early!
      bobobobo
      • Forum Ian St John

• 439 posts | 20 
      Reply #99: Jun 06, 2015 08:42:30 am
      Reckon we'll see something like

Can
                 Hendo     Milner
                       Coutinho
                 Studge  New Striker

Lots of hard workers in the midfield - gets us control in the middle of the field
      fhands123
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 350 posts | 11 
      Reply #100: Jun 06, 2015 09:20:36 am
      Reckon we'll see something like

Can
                 Hendo     Milner
                       Coutinho
                 Studge  New Striker

Lots of hard workers in the midfield - gets us control in the middle of the field

If this is the chosen formation for next season, and I agree with you and think it will/should be, will BR show confidence in what's likely to be two new strikers from the start of the season. With studge injured is he likely to play it safer, with one up top?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #101: Jun 06, 2015 09:57:27 am
      So Milner wanted assurances of Rodgers future before  he signed?.

What ..... that he was eventually going Shabs ?   ;D
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #102: Jun 06, 2015 10:56:35 am
      I wouldnt play hendo, milner and can as a part of a midfield three apart from half a dozen or so fixtures - the away games against city, chelsea, mancs etc.

Seeing can, hendo and milner in midfield all season will become very frustrsting in our 'should be wins' at home to the like of Bournemouth. There isn't enough creativity in there.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,303 posts | 4949 
      Reply #103: Jun 06, 2015 11:02:17 am
      I wouldnt play hendo, milner and can as a part of a midfield three apart from half a dozen or so fixtures - the away games against city, chelsea, mancs etc.

Seeing can, hendo and milner in midfield all season will become very frustrsting in our 'should be wins' at home to the like of Bournemouth. There isn't enough creativity in there.

A fair point and one I broadly agree with.

For the games against the sh*te of the league, and no matter what anyone says there is plenty of them, I'd go with something like this below.

Allen

Hendo Coutinho

Can

Milner Coutinho

Milner

Hendo Coutinho

In fact after starting posting here I think we have quite a few options in midfield next season although if money was no object another with a bit of flair and ability to beat a man would be nice.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,399 posts | 6406 
      Reply #104: Jun 06, 2015 01:34:29 pm
      No Lallana Si?

That's odd. To me we now have very decent cover in midfield. We need a striker now!!!!!!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #105: Jun 06, 2015 02:38:24 pm
      A fair point and one I broadly agree with.

For the games against the sh*te of the league, and no matter what anyone says there is plenty of them, I'd go with something like this below.

Allen

Hendo Coutinho

Can

Milner Coutinho

Milner

Hendo Coutinho

In fact after starting posting here I think we have quite a few options in midfield next season although if money was no object another with a bit of flair and ability to beat a man would be nice.
      Lallana should be in there. I don't rate Allen as much as a lot of people do. I think we could get a better midfielder.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #106: Jun 06, 2015 02:57:05 pm
      Interesting that it's broken out into this debate about the midfield.

I'm personally not sure Can has the defensive capabilities to play the defensive role of the 3, I think he will develop into an in between player and much more the box-to-box type. As we've seen with his bursting runs on occasion that can be a real asset, one that I don't think we'd fully take advantage of placing him further back. As we've also seen with his time at RB he doesn't handle the one on one too well, his lack of immediate acceleration causes him issues, which is definitely where I would be asking him to improve upon the most.

Milner also seems to me to be the ideal type for this role and I'd much prefer if we brought in a dedicated defensive midfielder and have Can/Milner battle it out for minutes alongside Coutinho who is head and shoulders above all others in the advanced role. We have the Europa league and the cups so there's plenty of time to be shared out between them.

I think if we start playing Milner and Can as the DM players then we'll end up being exposed. If we manage to sell Sterling and use his money to secure a top striker then we can use some of our budget on a DM, if Sterling stays then I see us putting square pegs in round holes again. I think we have enough with Ibe/Lallana/Markovic and Milner to cover for Sterling leaving without another player coming in his place as long as a top drawer striker is secured.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,613 posts | 7142 
      Reply #107: Jun 06, 2015 03:15:20 pm
      Milner 29 gets a 5 year contract is that right?. He really isnt a favourite of mine but we really do need some grit and determination in this team so I wll wait and see. I understand he will be playing in his favoured position in central midfield too so he will get a chance to show his quality
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #108: Jun 06, 2015 04:26:33 pm
      I'm not convinced about Can as a defensive midfielder either. He has the strength and skills to play the role, but I wonder if he's disciplined enough. I believe Milner could do a job there as he's naturally a tactically disciplined player but his main asset - his versatility - means he can do a job in most positions. It will be a matter of judging where exactly we'll need him the most, that is, where he can make a bigger difference.

I'd expect Can's form to fluctuate throughout the season as he's still very young so it's good to have options. If we were to sign another midfielder this window, I'd like it to be someone like Illarramendi or Johannes Geis - deep lying playmakers.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #109: Jun 06, 2015 04:56:04 pm
      I'm not convinced about Can as a defensive midfielder either. He has the strength and skills to play the role, but I wonder if he's disciplined enough. I believe Milner could do a job there as he's naturally a tactically disciplined player but his main asset - his versatility - means he can do a job in most positions. It will be a matter of judging where exactly we'll need him the most, that is, where he can make a bigger difference.

I'd expect Can's form to fluctuate throughout the season as he's still very young so it's good to have options. If we were to sign another midfielder this window, I'd like it to be someone like Illarramendi or Johannes Geis - deep lying playmakers.

You bring up a good point about his lack of discipline to play as DM. I think he is best when he has the ball at his feet and he's allowed to run at the opposition. Box to box could be his best role for the team but then there's the question of where does he fit into the 11 if that is his role? Does he get in head of Henderson? I doubt he'd get in ahead of Milner if we're prepared to pay him 150k a week. There's also another question of who plays DM when Lucas can't?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      Reply #110: Jun 07, 2015 08:31:06 pm
      Just seen on Twitter. To the tune of Cheerleader by OMI:

""Ohhh I think that I've found myself a midfielder and I think that his name is James Milner""
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,595 posts | 1678 
      • YNWA
      Reply #111: Jun 07, 2015 09:16:24 pm
      Did very little in the friendly today vs Ireland.
      Though neither did Hendo, Lallana or Sterling.
      Will put it down to end of season rust mixed with a dash of Hodgson ... a lethal mix.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #112: Jun 08, 2015 04:05:07 am
      Just seen on Twitter. To the tune of Cheerleader by OMI:

""Ohhh I think that I've found myself a midfielder and I think that his name is James Milner""

Once it's sung like below, it becomes invalid;

https://vine.co/v/eMWIbpzQ0FF

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      Reply #113: Jun 08, 2015 07:29:06 am

Yeah don't think I'll open it. Drunk Scouse lad in the club?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #114: Jun 08, 2015 07:38:06 am
      Yeah don't think I'll open it. Drunk Scouse lad in the club?

Spouse, yes. Drunk, no. Although it'd explain a lot if he were.

Quick Reply