Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

Liverpool's New Back Room - Your Choice

Read 58706 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,359 posts | 6399 
      Re: Liverpool's New Back Room - Your Choice
      Reply #368: Jun 30, 2015 02:40:54 pm
      Why dont you give him a chance before writing him off ?

Because that's not how it's done around here.

It's ready-fire-aim on this forum.

Stick around and you'll figure that out ;)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,331 posts | 8605 
      Reply #369: Jun 30, 2015 02:57:34 pm
      Er, because:

1. We have bought more attacking options and are in the market for Benteke

2. We have moved quickly to tie up targets before teh window officially opened and

3. O'Driscoll has been hired for his coaching prowess

1. Oh good more goals conceded then!! Yeah and we'll probably lose out on Benteke to Spurs like how may other players over recent years. Plus give me Bacca over Benteke.

2. No change from any other summer then, really is it?

3. Who and what the F**k is he? Never heard of the  c**t.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #370: Jun 30, 2015 03:09:17 pm

That interview was a cringefest from start to... the finish took it over the top, wtf was he doing?

When I first read about him being appointed today, I wasn't disappointed really (didn't know anything about him), i didn't expect an ex top manager to play second fiddle here or anything, it's not my field of expertise.

I already don't like the guy now, just from that interview, fidgety, wouldn't keep eye contact, twitching face, couldn't string a sentence together. fu**ed if I want him ever representing LFC in an interview.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #371: Jun 30, 2015 03:26:03 pm
      The way some of our fans talk about people who are completely new to the club, people who by their own admission said fans "have never heard of", is a bit of a new phenomenon. The way some fans got stuck into Danny Ings when he signed but before he's kicked a ball for us, the way people dismissed Gomez as " a complete waste of money" before admitting they'd never heard of him nor seen him play  :D :lmao:, the way fans are getting stuck into Benteke now before he's signed or even come close to signing, while saying "I aren't interested in watching videos or listening to what Villa fans think", and now the way fans are spitting vitriol at a bloke who they're Googling frantically but have no idea how good he'll be at his new job as assistant manager.

It's a new phenomenon as far as I can see, and ironically it's often from the fans who claim to be more fervent and schooled in the history of the club than anyone else. Very odd. Call me an old stick in the mud, but I generally put any previous prejudices and opinions aside when someone actually joins my club. I just get behind them and wish them all the best, bit boring but there it is. This is particularly the case if I've never heard of the bloke/never seen him play/have no idea how good he is as an assistant manager. Generally speaking, waiting until they've actually played/assisted for us before making up your mind is the best way to go.

LFCexiled
      Reply #372: Jun 30, 2015 03:26:06 pm
      Pako Ayerstan

Rene Meulensteen

Tito Vilanova(When assisting Guardiola)

I think if i search it i may find a decent number.

Its not about stop supporting liverpool.We could've got a good assistant coach than the one appointed.

You attribute the success of the team to them? The managers have the final say and what they say goes and if the assistant disagrees the assistant goes.

I'm sure we can all 'search and throw in' a few assistants names but the question was, which of those assistants do you attribute the teams success to?

You say we 'could've got a good assistant', give the fella a chance, he could be a perfect fit but to condemn him based on a YouTube clip and the comments of fans from (with no due respect) a sh*t team, is just bizarre.

The success of the team is a team effort, part of that team are the manager, his assistants, the squad and the fans, for a team to be successful the team need to be together so as fans let's do our part and stop kicking players who've just signed, assistants who've just signed and anyone else who comes through the door because they may just turn out to be perfect.

All that's required here is to give people a chance until they no longer deserve it. Simple as.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #373: Jun 30, 2015 03:27:41 pm
      On the question of being an "assistant", as quite a few posters will know I run a pub for a living. It isn't the best job, definitely isn't the best paid job, but I must confess I do really enjoy doing it. The pub I run isn't really your average boozer on a street corner, it's more of an industry in itself (we employ around 50 people, turnover approaching 4 million quid per annum etc etc). Anyway the reason I mention that is we have two assistant managers at the pub who are absolutely fab. Both brilliant guys who are more than capable of running the pub while I'm not there/on holiday/playing golf. Although both are brilliant though at what they do, neither would be able to run a business of this size on their own, infact neither would want to. My point is I guess that often being an "assistant" manager is very different to being a "manager", and this applies in many walks of life. Quite frankly whatever this O'Driscoll's record is as a manager isn't massively relevant to how he will do in his role to assist Brendan, not in my view and in my experience anyway. Just my two penneth.     
      RedJock
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | 40 
      Reply #374: Jun 30, 2015 03:28:28 pm

That interview was a cringefest from start to... the finish took it over the top, wtf was he doing?

When I first read about him being appointed today, I wasn't disappointed really (didn't know anything about him), i didn't expect an ex top manager to play second fiddle here or anything, it's not my field of expertise.

I already don't like the guy now, just from that interview, fidgety, wouldn't keep eye contact, twitching face, couldn't string a sentence together. fu**ed if I want him ever representing LFC in an interview.

Its all getting a bit silly now isnt it ? Pre Judging the guys coaching abilities based on an interview ?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #375: Jun 30, 2015 03:30:49 pm

Prepare for the onslaught of "it's embarrassing" or "how can you possibly judge someone from them talking in interviews or their record as a manager spanning 15 years" or other deflection from the subject matter.

For what it's worth I agree with you, it was a shocking interview that culminated in one of the weirdest reactions to a pressing question I've seen from a manager or assistant.

As a reaction under pressure it made me think of this to be honest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aav46Lek0Rs

Then again at England this guy was junior to not only Hodgson, but Southgate too, given the choice I suppose we cherry picked out of that brigade.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #376: Jun 30, 2015 03:37:21 pm
      On the question of being an "assistant", as quite a few posters will know I run a pub for a living. It isn't the best job, definitely isn't the best paid job, but I must confess I do really enjoy doing it. The pub I run isn't really your average boozer on a street corner, it's more of an industry in itself (we employ around 50 people, turnover approaching 4 million quid per annum etc etc). Anyway the reason I mention that is we have two assistant managers at the pub who are absolutely fab. Both brilliant guys who are more than capable of running the pub while I'm not there/on holiday/playing golf. Although both are brilliant though at what they do, neither would be able to run a business of this size on their own, infact neither would want to. My point is I guess that often being an "assistant" manager is very different to being a "manager", and this applies in many walks of life. Quite frankly whatever this O'Driscoll's record is as a manager isn't massively relevant to how he will do in his role to assist Brendan, not in my view and in my experience anyway. Just my two penneth.     

Perfect analogy.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,660 posts | 489 
      Reply #377: Jun 30, 2015 03:37:33 pm
      You attribute the success of the team to them? The managers have the final say and what they say goes and if the assistant disagrees the assistant goes.

I'm sure we can all 'search and throw in' a few assistants names but the question was, which of those assistants do you attribute the teams success to?

You say we 'could've got a good assistant', give the fella a chance, he could be a perfect fit but to condemn him based on a YouTube clip and the comments of fans from (with no due respect) a sh*t team, is just bizarre.

The success of the team is a team effort, part of that team are the manager, his assistants, the squad and the fans, for a team to be successful the team need to be together so as fans let's do our part and stop kicking players who've just signed, assistants who've just signed and anyone else who comes through the door because they may just turn out to be perfect.

All that's required here is to give people a chance until they no longer deserve it. Simple as.
      I dont think we should be giving someone a 'chance' as we have to qualify for CL.We needed someone who was almost certain to make an impact.

As you say he may be perfect but which itself says its a gamble.We needed an assistant who had balls to tell Brendan that some of his decisions are bizarre such as playing Can at RB,not using Lucas during first half of season etc.From his credentials i expect another Pasco-esque man.
      RedJock
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | 40 
      Reply #378: Jun 30, 2015 03:50:50 pm
      I dont think we should be giving someone a 'chance' as we have to qualify for CL.We needed someone who was almost certain to make an impact.

As you say he may be perfect but which itself says its a gamble.We needed an assistant who had balls to tell Brendan that some of his decisions are bizarre such as playing Can at RB,not using Lucas during first half of season etc.From his credentials i expect another Pasco-esque man.

He is a coach and assistant - his coaching methods could well make an instant impact.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #379: Jun 30, 2015 03:51:19 pm
      Seriously, think about how many assistants of other clubs you know and of those clubs narrow it down to those who've had success and tell me which of those assistants you actually attribute that success to.

Good chance it's zero eh?

Stop the f**king negative drama, he's an assistant who's going to coach the lads, along with Brendan et al.

I swear some people are gearing themselves up to jump in feet first and start stamping if we don't win our first match.

Neil Atkinson was on city talk this morning and he said that some of the comments aimed at this signing are from those who think everything Brendan does is wrong and those people should maybe take some time off 'supporting' Liverpool, I think he's got a valid point.

Absolutely agree - as I put in my thread, these fucktards are currently the biggest obstacle to our success.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #380: Jun 30, 2015 03:54:12 pm
      Its all getting a bit silly now isnt it ? Pre Judging the guys coaching abilities based on an interview ?

I'm not prejudging his coaching, just don't like the guy. Instinct.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #381: Jun 30, 2015 03:55:05 pm
      Which could be why it's a good idea to take a "wait and see" approach?

Okay, it's not about making your mind up, but there's conflicting opinion from Doncaster fans, and then Bristol City fans are saying the complete opposite. All I'm saying is reliable info seems scarce on the man.

But here's hoping he complements Rodgers philosophy, as opposed to being the man with a Plan B of knocking it long (that's not a plan b, that is desperation).
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #382: Jun 30, 2015 03:56:20 pm
      The way some of our fans talk about people who are completely new to the club, people who by their own admission said fans "have never heard of", is a bit of a new phenomenon. The way some fans got stuck into Danny Ings when he signed but before he's kicked a ball for us, the way people dismissed Gomez as " a complete waste of money" before admitting they'd never heard of him nor seen him play  :D :lmao:, the way fans are getting stuck into Benteke now before he's signed or even come close to signing, while saying "I aren't interested in watching videos or listening to what Villa fans think", and now the way fans are spitting vitriol at a bloke who they're Googling frantically but have no idea how good he'll be at his new job as assistant manager.

It's a new phenomenon as far as I can see, and ironically it's often from the fans who claim to be more fervent and schooled in the history of the club than anyone else. Very odd. Call me an old stick in the mud, but I generally put any previous prejudices and opinions aside when someone actually joins my club. I just get behind them and wish them all the best, bit boring but there it is. This is particularly the case if I've never heard of the bloke/never seen him play/have no idea how good he is as an assistant manager. Generally speaking, waiting until they've actually played/assisted for us before making up your mind is the best way to go.

The vast majority of players and managers who arrive a club will eventually leave without becoming legends.

For some, it  shows how great a "fan" they are by getting their digs and criticisms in as early possible - apparently it's "The Liverpool Way" nowadays.

RedJock
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | 40 
      Reply #383: Jun 30, 2015 03:57:40 pm

How can you not "like" the guy when you dont know him ?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #384: Jun 30, 2015 04:00:02 pm
      Is he expected to keep his role with England?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #385: Jun 30, 2015 04:00:50 pm

I'd take a dickhead coach who can do a job over a nice one who can't any day.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,359 posts | 6399 
      Reply #386: Jun 30, 2015 04:02:47 pm
      I'd take a dickhead coach who can do a job over a nice one who can't any day.

Truth.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #387: Jun 30, 2015 04:06:16 pm
      Personally I am not to fussed one way or another, this is who the gaffer wanted and he should be able to choose his own staff; if he does not even have the power to do that why even bother.

Liverpool FC comment: O'Driscoll appointment shows FSG's faith in Rodgers is unwavering

Many Liverpool fans will be underwhelmed by the appointment of Sean O’Driscoll as assistant manager.

Some had hoped for a nod to the club’s glorious past with cherished names such as Pako Ayesteran, Jamie Carragher, Sami Hyypia and Robbie Fowler mentioned as possible contenders.

Others wanted an outsider with a trophy-laden CV such as former Manchester United coach Rene Meulensteen.

O’Driscoll, the current coach of England Under-19s, doesn’t tick either box – but his imminent arrival as Brendan Rodgers’ new No 2 is highly significant.

It says more about owners Fenway Sports Group’s unwavering faith in Rodgers than even the £29milllion swoop for Roberto Firmino,

When Colin Pascoe and Mike Marsh were off-loaded following the club’s end of season review, the perception was that Rodgers had been left isolated and vulnerable.

That the Northern Irishman had been given a stay of execution following a wretched campaign but that FSG had forced sweeping changes upon him with his trusted lieutenants shown the door.

The conspiracy theorists even wondered whether Pascoe and Marsh had been given the boot by Mike Gordon in the hope that Rodgers would fall on his sword and save Liverpool the expense of paying up the final three years of his contract.

Anfield officials were adamant that Rodgers had been heavily involved in the discussions and was fully supportive of the decision to overhaul the backroom staff. The identity of the new No 2 certainly adds weight to that argument.

FSG haven’t shaken things up by bringing in their own man and telling Rodgers to get on with it, they have effectively allowed the Liverpool manager to handpick Pascoe’s successor. It’s a huge show of support.

Some will question the wisdom of appointing someone who was sacked by Nottingham Forest and Bristol City before taking over England Under-19s last September.

But O’Driscoll, who won promotion with both Bournemouth and Doncaster, is highly respected as a coach. And of course the best coaches don’t always make great managers with YouTube providing some entertaining examples of O’Driscoll’s often fractious relationship with the media.

Rodgers’ admiration for the former Republic of Ireland international is long standing with the pair sharing the same beliefs about how the game should be played. Both won plaudits during their time in the Championship for their bold approach. Both are big believers in the merits of sports psychology.

When in 2013 the FA’s Greg Dyke set up a new commission to investigate the state of the national game, Rodgers spoke in glowing terms about O’Driscoll when criticising in general the standard of coaching in England for the lack of talent coming through.

“We need to stop blaming the players. The coaching in this country is the problem,” he said.

“The problem is that the guys who are ‘that type’ of (expansive) coach, you never hear of them really.

“Look at Sean O’Driscoll. He is one of the best coaches I have ever come across.

“He is working at Bristol City. He has never had a chance in the top flight. His teams were expressive, had movement, they were technical, but he will probably never get a chance at a higher level.”

Now Rodgers has given O’Driscoll that opportunity, Ironically nicknamed ‘Noisy’ in his playing days, the quiet 57-year-old will be able to focus on what he does best – working with and improving players away from the glare of the cameras.

O’Driscoll isn’t a box office name but he doesn’t need to be. Rodgers rates him and believes they will work well together to make Liverpool a force to be reckoned with once again.

That’s more important than anything on his CV.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-comment-odriscoll-appointment-9555203
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #388: Jun 30, 2015 04:07:43 pm
      Can't speak for his time at Bristol City but I'd imagine he'd adopt the same style when he was at the helm at Doncaster Rovers. I can say 100% he plays football the right way and is certainly not at hoof the ball merchant.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,306 posts | 2847 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #389: Jun 30, 2015 04:09:30 pm
      Can I just ask if he's that highly regarded as a coach why are all the teams he coached sh*te?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #390: Jun 30, 2015 04:12:03 pm
      Can I just ask if he's that highly regarded as a coach why are all the teams he coached sh*te?

Probably a better coach than a manager?

Big difference.

Quick Reply