Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 7th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W7 D7 L5

Roberto Firmino Player Thread (F)

Read 378788 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,714 posts | 3719 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Roberto Firmino Player Thread
      Reply #874: Sep 11, 2016 06:08:51 pm
      Not really mate.
      It seems there are plenty who don't think someone has a good game unless they score or do something spectacular.

Firmino's movement and creation of space, added to his interchanging and support play has been excellent all season, and will get better, but it seems some only see goals and assists.

Exactly mate. Roberto was brilliant but Sturridge with his movement got him some space. I liked that Firmino was encouraging and thanking Daniel in his celebrations.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #875: Sep 11, 2016 06:20:42 pm
      Exactly mate. Roberto was brilliant but Sturridge with his movement got him some space. I liked that Firmino was encouraging and thanking Daniel in his celebrations.

There's no question about it mate. Given that Danny is the best proper striker we've got by miles, I can't help thinking that with Mane's pace being so crucial, we may end up with Firmino and Coutinho competing for the same spot. It's a tough call because both can be brilliant but then the next game very ordinary. Bobby was brilliant yesterday, Coutinho mesmeric against Arsenal, while they've both been pretty average otherwise (although I thought Bobby did OK against Spurs given he was playing out of position).

As it is right now I'd go with Bobby left and leave Phil to come on, but I think what will actually happen is that we'll see the return of Bobby as the "false 9" against Chelsea. That isn't what I'd do, but I think it's what Jürgen will do. In fairness to him it does make far more sense against teams like Chelsea away than it did for instance at Burnley.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #876: Sep 11, 2016 06:26:57 pm
      I do love how some try to reduce everything to a binary argument, completely without nuance or even context sometimes.

But that's forums for you I guess, binary arguments and fishing trips.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #877: Sep 11, 2016 07:20:02 pm
      Nah, still sh*te :laugh:
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,714 posts | 3719 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #878: Sep 11, 2016 07:52:20 pm
      There's no question about it mate. Given that Danny is the best proper striker we've got by miles, I can't help thinking that with Mane's pace being so crucial, we may end up with Firmino and Coutinho competing for the same spot. It's a tough call because both can be brilliant but then the next game very ordinary. Bobby was brilliant yesterday, Coutinho mesmeric against Arsenal, while they've both been pretty average otherwise (although I thought Bobby did OK against Spurs given he was playing out of position).

As it is right now I'd go with Bobby left and leave Phil to come on, but I think what will actually happen is that we'll see the return of Bobby as the "false 9" against Chelsea. That isn't what I'd do, but I think it's what Jürgen will do. In fairness to him it does make far more sense against teams like Chelsea away than it did for instance at Burnley.

I maybe slaughter for this but I would choose Firmino over Coutinho because he offers more to the team. Coutinho is stunning and brilliant but he is too predictable and inconsistent.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #879: Sep 11, 2016 08:46:21 pm
      I maybe slaughter for this but I would choose Firmino over Coutinho because he offers more to the team. Coutinho is stunning and brilliant but he is too predictable and inconsistent.

I think you've got a strong case for it. He has to be one of the most deceptive players in the world. Many of us as Liverpool supporters don't rate him as high as he should be rated, the rest of the league and the noise generated by the pundits barely gives him recognition. You just wonder how much attention the opposition defences pay to him. And yet he scores quite a lot of goals! Remember this time last year - as a whole team we could barely score one a goal let alone two! Now Jürgen is unleashing goals across the front line and Firmino is central to a lot of it!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #880: Sep 11, 2016 11:33:49 pm
      Fantastic performance, but please lose that awful haircut.

Who cares what his hair looks like as long as he scores !!!

Go Roberto !!!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #881: Sep 11, 2016 11:36:28 pm
      Some right F***ing squares amongst our fanbase, get with the times, we've been doing these haircuts at my salon for a while now  8)

I don't mind being past it. Saw an elderly gentleman get a comb over last time I was in the barbers, followed by a teenage boy getting a comb over. Fashion's overrated.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #882: Sep 12, 2016 12:27:17 am
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #883: Sep 12, 2016 01:11:52 am
      Firmino could have a phallic shaped hair style for all I care, as long as he keeps putting in a performance for the club that's all I need to see.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #884: Sep 12, 2016 03:28:05 am
      Firmino could have a phallic shaped hair style for all I care, as long as he keeps putting in a performance for the club that's all I need to see.

Bringing a whole new meaning to helmet hair.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #885: Sep 12, 2016 03:55:55 am
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #886: Sep 12, 2016 04:41:30 am

That ball control with 32 seconds made me open a big smile during the game haha

What a performance.

We need to do our best to keep Firmino close to his highest levels. When he's good, he's REALLY good. Such as when we destroyed Man City away from home last season, and now against the league champions. Consistency is the key and for him to find that sort of quality a bit more of consistency from the rest of the team (in terms of tactics, formations and gameplan) would be good as well.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #887: Sep 12, 2016 12:15:30 pm

It's not an easy choice, but you're right that Firmino is much more consistent, and probably should be in ahead of Coutinho at the moment.
      That said, if we player a 4231, you could fit them both in, but where would that leave Lallana, who's also had an excellent start to the season.

It's nice to have selection headaches up front, and great that we have quality players there as first choice and backup.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,290 posts | 4938 
      Reply #888: Sep 12, 2016 12:46:27 pm
      Our best player folks?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #889: Sep 12, 2016 12:51:07 pm

Nah, Coutinho is still our best player then very close between Sturridge and Firmino, with Mane coming up FAST on the rails.   
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,195 posts | 4406 
      Reply #890: Sep 12, 2016 12:59:09 pm

He is our second best striker after Sturridge and our second best creative player after Coutinho.

So combine those two traits and maybe you have a point.

friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #891: Sep 12, 2016 12:59:24 pm

On saturday or in general?

Coutinho is still better than Firmino, he's just played out of position.

Don't get me wrong I love them both though, both class. Coutinho is better for me.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,464 posts | 4591 
      Reply #892: Sep 12, 2016 01:12:05 pm
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #893: Sep 12, 2016 02:59:38 pm
      That ball control with 32 seconds made me open a big smile during the game haha

Although it's completely different, the quality of that touch reminded me of Suarez' chest control for a goal against Newcastle.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #894: Sep 12, 2016 03:07:43 pm

Not sure about that Si, I'd describe him as our most important cog though  ;)
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,562 posts | 1670 
      • YNWA
      Reply #895: Sep 12, 2016 03:20:36 pm

Not sure ... but would say the most improved. Initially thought he looked off the pace, was loosing possession too easily, not closing people down with conviction ... but now, getting MOTM's, and deservedly so.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #896: Sep 12, 2016 03:31:21 pm
      I'd say he's our most important and consistent. Especially in attack.

Quick Reply