Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 13th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W7 D4 L5

Jeremy Menez (AC Milan)

Read 8348 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,381 posts | 6404 
      Jeremy Menez (AC Milan)
      Jul 15, 2015 09:59:50 pm
      Liverpool enter talks with AC Milan for £10.5m striker Jeremy Menez
      LIVERPOOL have approached AC Milan for striker Jeremy Menez, according to reports.
      By James Cambridge
      PUBLISHED: 21:35, Wed, Jul 15, 2015 | UPDATED: 21:44, Wed, Jul 15, 2015

Italian publication Calicio Mercato Web claim Milan are willing to cash in on the Frenchman, who they acquired in 2014.

The former Paris Saint-Germain striker could return a tidy sum having signed  on a free transfer last year.

And AC Milan are expected to command a fee in the region of £10.5million for the forward who has scored 16 league goals for the club.

It's understood Liverpool are keen to strengthen their squad after the £49m sale of Raheem Sterling to Manchester City.

And the report suggests negotiations are going well given the good relationship between the clubs following the sale of Mario Balotelli last season.

Menez has made 33 Serie A appearances for Milan and has represented France at every level, making 24 outings for the senior side.
      http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/591453/Liverpool-Transfer-News-10-5m-AC-Milan-Jeremy-Menez-Bid

This came out of the blue...can't say I've ever watched him play...anyone know anything about him?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Jeremy Menez (AC Milan)
      Reply #1: Jul 15, 2015 10:01:10 pm
      Hell no, I'd rather we signed Benteke!
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2: Jul 15, 2015 10:02:20 pm
      Hey I was 8 seconds ahead of you on creating this..FL...damn you...damn you to hell!  ;)
      harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #3: Jul 15, 2015 10:04:30 pm
      I liked him when he was at Roma years ago, but I don't think he'd improve us now. More of an attacking midfielder than a ST, and we are well covered in that depth. Also, no quotes or reputable sources has me thinking this is a fabrication....
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,381 posts | 6404 
      Reply #4: Jul 15, 2015 10:04:57 pm
      Ok...keep an eye out at 4:43...cheeky ;D

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,381 posts | 6404 
      Reply #5: Jul 15, 2015 10:05:50 pm
      Hey I was 8 seconds ahead of you on creating this..FL...damn you...damn you to hell!  ;)

Sorry about that AZ....hopefully the mods will merge them.

Seemed like it was dead on here...figured something different might be cool. ;D
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #6: Jul 15, 2015 10:07:07 pm
      Got a feeling this is to counter the leaks coming out from Villa about United, a who blinks first PR campaign.

Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #7: Jul 15, 2015 10:10:48 pm
      I watch Serie A, if i had to describe Menez then id say his strongest aspect his accerlation, and pace. Reminds me bit of Torres. When he dribbles, the ball isnt glued to his feet like messi and suarez but its like he uses his pace to get past players rather then ball controll. Decent shot and good runs. tend to go missing in some games aswell.
      All in all, a good player.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,381 posts | 6404 
      Reply #8: Jul 15, 2015 10:12:16 pm
      I watch Serie A, if i had to describe Menez then id say his strongest aspect his accerlation, and pace. Reminds me bit of Torres. When he dribbles, the ball isnt glued to his feet like messi and suarez but its like he uses his pace to get past players rather then ball controll. Decent shot and good runs. tend to go missing in some games aswell.
      All in all, a good player.

I enjoyed watching his highlights reel.....sure is a slippery devil it looks like. Doesn't really feel right for us,  although with he and Lallana, Firmino and Coutinho we'd have one hell of a trickery laden attacking side.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #9: Jul 15, 2015 10:13:08 pm
      Quote (selected)

I liked him when he was at Roma years ago, but I don't think he'd improve us now. More of an attacking midfielder than a ST

Played 24 games for Milan as a forward last season returned 12 goals and 3 assists

Benteke 29 appearances in all competitions, 15 goals, 2 assists

Menez then played a further 7 more games as an attacking midfielder scoring 4 goals.

Their stats aren't that far apart.

For a third of the price, I think he'd be a better fit than Benteke if I'm being honest.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #10: Jul 15, 2015 10:13:30 pm

I enjoyed watching his highlights reel.....sure is a slippery devil it looks like. Doesn't really feel right for us,  although with he and Lallana, Firmino and Coutinho we'd have one hell of a trickery laden attacking side.

I feel like I was watching an older version of Danny Ings there.....perhaps it was just the beard.

Not exactly exciting when we have supposedly 30+ million to spend.

Played 24 games for Milan as a forward last season returned 12 goals and 3 assists

Menez then played a further 7 more games as an attacking midfielder scoring 4 goals.

Perhaps one of those older hidden gems Daz.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,301 posts | 4948 
      Reply #11: Jul 15, 2015 10:14:25 pm
      I feel like I was watching an older version of Danny Ings there.....perhaps it was just the beard.

Not exactly exciting when we have supposedly 30+ million to spend.

Maybe him and someone else AZ?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #12: Jul 15, 2015 10:16:29 pm
      Maybe him and someone else AZ?

Why do we need to go all shotgun approach on forwards again Si?

Sturridge, Balotelli, Borini, Lambert, Ings, Origi....all under contract.

Why can't we just go get 1 center forward better than what we have currently,

I feel like we are just throwing sh*t on the wall and seeing what will stick.

At least if they went out and got Benteke I would think we had some sort of plan.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,301 posts | 4948 
      Reply #13: Jul 15, 2015 10:18:36 pm
      Why do we need to go all shotgun approach on forwards again Si?

Sturridge, Balotelli, Borini, Lambert, Ings, Origi....all under contract.

Why can't we just go get 1 center forward better than what we have currently.

If we sell Mario, Borini and Lambert then I think we could do with another two mate. I'm not saying we'd be crying our for two but if we did get Menez and Benteke then it would leave us with plenty of options and allow Origi and Ings time to settle in at a huge club like ours.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #14: Jul 15, 2015 10:21:10 pm

For a third of the price, I think he'd be a better fit than Benteke if I'm being honest.

If i had to choose between benteke and menez, whom I think will fit better in our team. thinking of our player like cou, lallana, firminio & markovic. Then id say Menez will do better as a striker for us, because our midfield is going to be pretty direct and menez do have pace and do make small runs here and there.
      As a player as a whole, comparing a striker with a striker then id say benteke is better. With better i mean, benteke is not really slow, he is strong and can head the ball. There is no secret that he can hit the ball. With menez we will get a sharp and smarter striker, if that make any sense to you guys.

Then again i wouldnt want us to spend so much money on these two, and again my post was just opinion.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #15: Jul 15, 2015 10:21:58 pm
      If we sell Mario, Borini and Lambert then I think we could do with another two mate. I'm not saying we'd be crying our for two but if we did get Menez and Benteke then it would leave us with plenty of options and allow Origi and Ings time to settle in at a huge club like ours.

I am fine with that as long as there is one we can count on....too much emphasis in the past on potential and not enough on reliable.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #16: Jul 15, 2015 10:22:30 pm
      Sub standard player struggling in a sub standard team which still carries hype because of the clubs rep. No thanks.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #17: Jul 15, 2015 10:23:13 pm

I think FSG will absolutely endorse this idea, put the rest towards the stadium and score 65 goals this season.

Problems solved.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #18: Jul 15, 2015 10:24:24 pm
      As a player as a whole, comparing a striker with a striker then id say benteke is better. With better i mean, benteke is not really slow, he is strong and can head the ball. There is no secret that he can hit the ball. With menez we will get a sharp and smarter striker, if that make any sense to you guys.

That's exactly what i'm alluding to.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #19: Jul 15, 2015 10:25:45 pm
      I think FSG will absolutely endorse this idea, put the rest towards the stadium and score 65 goals this season.

Problems solved.

Your heads in a box mate, try thinking outside of it and seeing the bigger picture.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #20: Jul 15, 2015 10:30:35 pm

Your heads in a box mate, try thinking outside of it and seeing the bigger picture.

Let's see Daz a 29 year old striker that scored a total of 16 goals in 31 appearances in a league that is more than a bit substandard in comparison to the PL.

If you told me he was 20...I could maybe see it, not at 29; there is no upside here only frustration and eventual failure while trying to adapt to a much more competitive league.

Being 29 and coming from the 4th and and 5th ranked leagues in terms of competition is not exactly a glowing endorsement...more like a recipe for disaster
      harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #21: Jul 15, 2015 10:34:20 pm

I'll take your word for it. I haven't really seen him play for a few years. Back in his Roma days he was a winger / attacking midfielder and I feel like we have plenty of those already...
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,301 posts | 4948 
      Reply #22: Jul 15, 2015 10:35:32 pm
      Let's see Daz a 29 year old striker that scored a total of 16 goals in 31 appearances in a league that is more than a bit substandard in comparison to the PL.

If you told me he was 20...I could maybe see it, not at 29; there is no upside here only frustration and eventual failure while trying to adapt to a much more competitive league.

Being 29 and coming from the 4th and and 5th ranked leagues in terms of competition is not exactly a glowing endorsement...more like a recipe for disaster

I've just had a look at his goal record over his career and it's about 1 in 6. Now I know he hasn't always played as a striker but I think we need a proper striker more than Menez but as I said if we got him and the striker then could be a decent move.

Quick Reply