Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 13th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W7 D4 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      10 (6.3%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (0.6%)
      Joe Gomez
      53 (33.5%)
      Martin Skrtel
      30 (19%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      2 (1.3%)
      Lucas Leiva
      8 (5.1%)
      Emre Can
      4 (2.5%)
      James Milner
      12 (7.6%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      30 (19%)
      Christian Benteke
      8 (5.1%)
      Jordan Rossiter
      0 (0%)
      Jordon Ibe
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 152

Voting closed: Aug 28, 2015 09:54:59 pm

Arsenal 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate

Read 47736 times
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Re: Arsenal 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate
      Reply #690: Aug 24, 2015 11:45:52 pm
      If only we'd have put those couple of chances away in the first half !!.. so miffed..

Don't think Benteke could've done anymore when that cross came in it was a fantastic save from Cech.

Great to see us attacking in numbers when we did and putting Arsenal in the back foot during that first 45.

Think we've all got to accept that this 2015/16 team will be playing a new Liverpool way and judging by what I saw tonight i'm excited about the future..

Think Gary Mac has defo made a difference to the boot room team.. his grit and mental attitude came through tonight in some players who last year may as well of worn a tutu than a pair of football shorts.
      That combined with the new lads and their input it's all shaping up very nicely..

We needed that game tonight...put an end to few doubters i hope..

West Ham at Anfield next !!

« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2015 12:07:49 am by 6stringer »
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #691: Aug 24, 2015 11:59:08 pm
      Brilliant in the first half. Completely dominated them and if it wasn't for Cech we would have gone in at half time 2-0 up and the game won. Couldn't get out of our half for most of the second but still defended excellently, it was a Rafa type display.

Mignolet. Had little to do but when called upon he did well.

The back four were superb. Every one of them. I was worried about Lovren and Gomez before kick off thinking Arsenal would target the pair of them but they handled anything thrown at them. Well done boys brilliant defensive display.

Lucas. Worked his bollocks off and got a foot in when needed and broke their play up.

Milner. Same. Bit of a unsung hero for me, thought he did a brilliant job as captain. Chipped in both defensively and in attack too.

Can. I actually thought he did a lot better in the second half than the first. First half he did little and wasn't involved much but the second half he put more of a shift in and charged forward with the ball too.

Firmino. A few nice touches and a few good passes. Maybe didn't involve himself as much as he could have but still promising.

Coutinho. Magician. It's a joy watching him play. Unlucky not to score a couple of goals tonight.

Benteke. He certainly moves a lot more for us than he did at villa. He involves himself more, he works harder.  Few nice bits of hold up play, few nice touches, should have scored though. That save wasn't a great save in my opinion it was a bad miss. Caught offside a few times which was frustrating too. But he did ok, pretty good at times.

Ibe. Thought he was awful.

Rossiter. Has an engine on him, covered loads of ground when he came on.

Moreno. Looks like he has a point to prove but he should have done better at the end when it came to either shooting or picking a pass out. He did all the hard work, a great interception and then ran then whole length of the pitch. We had 3 on 2 and he runs into a player and gets tackled. Dope.

Overall though a brilliant performance by the Reds and a great point. Disappointed not to have 3 but still satisfied with 1. Credit to Brendan he got it spot on tonight in my opinion. Well done lads.

Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #692: Aug 25, 2015 12:05:23 am
      Would have snatched at a point before kick off but seen the quality of the first half performance very frustrated not to have all 3.

Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,933 posts | 283 
      Reply #693: Aug 25, 2015 12:15:38 am
      Decent shout. I wonder is young Jordan trying too hard, as silly as it sounds, to impress and prove himself therefore taking away from his natural game?

Yea he doesn't seem his usual self. His cameo today was his worse performance to date.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #694: Aug 25, 2015 12:23:26 am
      Yea he doesn't seem his usual self. His cameo today was his worse performance to date.

Saying that... every time he got the ball Arsenal had two, sometimes three players on him but that's what it's like when you play Arsenal away.. He just needs to judge the spaces more and be more aware of who's around him when he does receive it.
      He did get up and support Benteke though and really should have connected better when that cross came in..

I'dve Ian St John'd that one.. bullet...
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,933 posts | 283 
      Reply #695: Aug 25, 2015 12:26:36 am
      Saying that... every time he got the ball Arsenal had two, sometimes three players on him but that's what it's like when you play Arsenal away.. He just needs to judge the spaces more and be more aware of who's around him when he does receive it.
      He did get up and support Benteke though and really should have connected better when that cross came in..

I'dve Ian St John'd that one.. bullet...

Yea, I don't think it was lack of trying he just doesn't look as fluid as he did in preseason.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #696: Aug 25, 2015 12:27:37 am
      Looking forward to watching this properly, to clarify my opinions. Early thoughts are Mignolet will get my MotM vote and Can looked iffy at times. 
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #697: Aug 25, 2015 01:09:57 am
      Looking forward to watching this properly, to clarify my opinions. Early thoughts are Mignolet will get my MotM vote and Can looked iffy at times.

I think you'll change your mind.

Mignolet didn't do anything wrong but he didn't do anything spectacular or make any world class saves, they were just standard saves that you would expect from a keeper in the PL. Cech on the other hand made one maybe two world class saves which is why he was named MOTM. The fact that Mignolet was hardly tested is credit to our defensive performance as a team. Very well drilled, it really did remind me of a classic Rafa type performance.

There were six or seven contenders for MOTM for me tonight which is just brilliant to have.

Any of the back four could have got it. Lucas could have. Coutinho too. But I gave mine to Milner. I'm surprised he isn't getting more of a mention on here I thought he did the armband justice. Really determined performance by him I thought he was excellent start to finish. When you put all your focus on him you really do notice just how hard he works.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #698: Aug 25, 2015 01:14:53 am
      Any of the back four could have got it. Lucas could have. Coutinho too. But I gave mine to Milner. I'm surprised he isn't getting more of a mention on here I thought he did the armband justice. Really determined performance by him I thought he was excellent start to finish. When you put all your focus on him you really do notice just how hard he works.

Yep, he got my MOTM too. Set a good example by working tirelessly throughout the match. I just can't wait to see Lucas, Hendo and Milner as our midfield 3.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #699: Aug 25, 2015 01:27:23 am
      I think you'll change your mind.

Mignolet didn't do anything wrong but he didn't do anything spectacular or make any world class saves, they were just standard saves that you would expect from a keeper in the PL. Cech on the other hand made one maybe two world class saves which is why he was named MOTM. The fact that Mignolet was hardly tested is credit to our defensive performance as a team. Very well drilled, it really did remind me of a classic Rafa type performance.

There were six or seven contenders for MOTM for me tonight which is just brilliant to have.

Milner's been one of the most underappreciated players in world football throughout his career. Some things just don't change. But agree with you, he works like a dog. Leaves 110% of himself on the pitch as if every game he plays is his last. Really worked our play in the first half and helped guard the back four well in the second.

Gomez our MOTM for me though. Really stepped up his performance in the second half. Really a top defender in the making if he keeps up this progress.

Impartial opinion would give it to Cech overall. His save against Benteke was the only thing that kept them from going into the half down 1-0. Also made a number of other excellent saves. Truly a great highlight reel between him and Migs, and loved to see the respect between the two of them after the game.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #700: Aug 25, 2015 01:36:12 am
      Milner's been one of the most underappreciated players in world football throughout his career. Some things just don't change. But agree with you, he works like a dog. Leaves 110% of himself on the pitch as if every game he plays is his last. Really worked our play in the first half and helped guard the back four well in the second.

Gomez our MOTM for me though. Really stepped up his performance in the second half. Really a top defender in the making if he keeps up this progress.

Impartial opinion would give it to Cech overall. His save against Benteke was the only thing that kept them from going into the half down 1-0. Also made a number of other excellent saves. Truly a great highlight reel between him and Migs, and loved to see the respect between the two of them after the game.

Cech seems like a really nice guy, always has been. Can't say that about any other ex-Chelsea player.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #701: Aug 25, 2015 01:37:53 am
      Cech seems like a really nice guy, always has been. Can't say that about any other ex-Chelsea player.

Zenden? :D
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #702: Aug 25, 2015 01:49:22 am

Discussing Chelsea in the Roman era!
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,878 posts | 704 
      Reply #703: Aug 25, 2015 01:52:11 am
      Quote from billythered
      Disagree mate, Brendan got it right the result proves that, we would have lost it last season that's for sure.

YNWA

We did.

Should have been ahead at the break. Had to soak up pressure after it, but you expect that and prepare for it. The defensive performance though was simliar to the one at Stoke which no one got any credit for. It was committed, disciplined, organised stuff where we rarely looked like conceding.

Would have taken 0-0 at the start, so I will take it now. It's a great start to the league, and it's great to get all these rough away games out of the way asap, when the opposition are still rusty. The other contenders have to go there and match the result, and few will.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #704: Aug 25, 2015 02:20:37 am
      Big learning curve for our youngsters ,Joe was a class act as was the defence in general Skits Lovern and Clyne ,Migs had another clean sheet and pulled of 2 magnificent saves ,our first half domination I put down to Milners performance in midfield he was my MOTM.
      Can Couts and Benteke all done a number on them only with 0 in the goals dept Couts must have a wood fetish the amount of times he hit the woodwork
      Our subs, Ibe ,young lad had a mare but he will have learned a lesson from  this performance may see him sidelined for a game or 2  and a chance given to someone else ,IMO I thought Rossiter played well ,lastly Lucas solid as F**k there's nobody at Liverpool at the minute that gives us what he gave us tonight ,I hope the wave wasn't a goodbye unless we have somebody coming in letting him go weakens our side.

3 games 7 pts 2 away from home  non to shabby if you ask, another couple of games we will gel even more, Couts was bumped of the ball when through on goal a couple of times through the sheer  physicality of the defenders those chances given to Studge and its a different ball game, TBH when Studge comes back we have far far better chance of winning the Championship hes that important.
      10/10 for Brendan and the staff not an easy place to go so well done to them.

YNWA
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #705: Aug 25, 2015 05:08:54 am
      We look so tough to break down, Skrtel was my Motm, thought he was like a man possessed, also Lucas had a boss game, but many of our players did so well. Quite surprised we didn't end up winning it but glad about the way we played.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,608 posts | 752 
      Reply #706: Aug 25, 2015 06:21:01 am
      i find it insulting that milner is our captain! not saying hes not a good player but he was surplus at city and literally just walks in and is our captain?

it should be Coutinho or skrtel. even if its just for perceptions sake.

Even if city have more money, how can we have one of their cast offs as captain? smh
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #707: Aug 25, 2015 06:24:25 am
      i find it insulting that milner is our captain! not saying hes not a good player but he was surplus at city and literally just walks in and is our captain?

Even if city have more money, how can we have one of their cast offs as captain? smh

I agree totally. wtf is that sh*t all about.
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #708: Aug 25, 2015 06:47:26 am
      I agree totally. wtf is that sh*t all about.

He works harder than pretty much everyone during the games so I imagine he does the same in training. He is also a seasoned pro who has played in the biggest competitions in the world. I imagine he is very well respected by the players and coaches
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,704 posts | 3938 
      Reply #709: Aug 25, 2015 06:57:10 am
      He works harder than pretty much everyone during the games so I imagine he does the same in training. He is also a seasoned pro who has played in the biggest competitions in the world. I imagine he is very well respected by the players and coaches

British too and in the middle of the park. Right choice for me.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #710: Aug 25, 2015 06:59:02 am

I'm not questioning his experience or how hard he trains? Not sure why you're mentioning training, he works hard in games yes.
      Why I don't get it is, it should be given to people who have worked for LFC. He can still do his dressing room and on the pitch motivation.
      He'd played no games for us and still got given the vice captain armband. If I was a player at Liverpool I'd think wtf is this sh*t all about, but of course I wouldn't go to the media and blab about that.
      If you don't get my point then so be it, I'm not going to have a big discussion about this, it's the wrong thread and lets just leave it as some people have no problem with it and some do.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,963 posts | 5019 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #711: Aug 25, 2015 07:20:02 am

Just shows how much you know about football fella,
      Hendo is our captain,  milner is vice both appointed by Brendan our manager,you might have heard if him,

Milner captained last night cos Hendo was injured, you know not fit to play,
      He, Milner is vastly experienced and leads by example his words of encouragement and advice rang out the whole match as Lovren stated in his post match interview,

It's is without doubt we drew with Arse by competing as a unit from back to front led by James milner,

Get off his back, ffs, he was pivotal last night and will be again throughout this season.

Fantastic player, brilliant signing imo.

YNWA
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,715 posts | 3721 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #712: Aug 25, 2015 07:44:35 am
      In pre-match thread, I said I was afraid of them and if we take any points it would be good. But after the first half, we deserved more. 2 posts and Benteke strike. They had a clear goal, post and brilliant save on Giruod. All in all fair point!

Well done, we can match every team :)

Quick Reply