Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 10th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P17 W10 D3 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      10 (6.3%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (0.6%)
      Joe Gomez
      53 (33.5%)
      Martin Skrtel
      30 (19%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      2 (1.3%)
      Lucas Leiva
      8 (5.1%)
      Emre Can
      4 (2.5%)
      James Milner
      12 (7.6%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      30 (19%)
      Christian Benteke
      8 (5.1%)
      Jordan Rossiter
      0 (0%)
      Jordon Ibe
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 152

Voting closed: Aug 28, 2015 09:54:59 pm

Arsenal 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate

Read 47480 times
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,781 posts | 891 
      Re: Arsenal 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate
      Reply #713: Aug 25, 2015 07:54:50 am
      Happy with the draw, and fair enough, it was deserved. We came closest on many occasions and could have had a few, but their goal was only marginally off-side, and on another day, could easily have been allowed. One of those.

As the game wore on, Arsenal looked like scoring... we only had the 3 points when Moreno stormed forward, but refused to do anything with it other than run into a crowd!

Solid performance, and we are really looking like a team now. Great all-round.

Only frustration is FF refusing to give our players bonus points! (all went to Arsenal defence) - Coutinho in particular. Had him in my team. ;)
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,568 posts | 1802 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #714: Aug 25, 2015 07:56:34 am
      I agree totally. wtf is that sh*t all about.

cos he is a winner, and we want to win things eh ?

Anyway. The game, superb performance, we could have easily won, probably should have, but on flip side, they had a good goal chopped off, so a draw will do.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #715: Aug 25, 2015 08:17:31 am
      cos he is a winner, and we want to win things eh ?

Anyway. The game, superb performance, we could have easily won, probably should have, but on flip side, they had a good goal chopped off, so a draw will do.

Very easy this giving armbands to new signings who have played for the enemy more than us business isn't it. Here you go new signing, have free rein and be the second/third boss. He can shout and organise regardless of the armband, it's fu**ed up, have no doubts about that.
      Gabri
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts | 26 
      Reply #716: Aug 25, 2015 08:33:46 am
      I am quite happy with this draw, mainly because last year, we would have easily lost this kind of game.
      I don't know if it has been said before but the last time that we kept a clean sheet for 3 consecutive matches was back in the beginning of 2015, where we hadn't concede a goal for 4 games (Sunderland (A), Villa (A), WHU (H), Everton (A)).

So, let's keep the good defensive momentum and hammer the hammers in the next match.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #717: Aug 25, 2015 08:47:30 am
      Federer, GeorgeRed and littleface absolutely in tears that we weren't destroyed tonight.

Not one bit. First game of ours i've enjoyed watching in a long time. By no means perfect, a few of the players keeping hold of the ball too long, not switching the play to the right hand side  in the first half enough.
      Don't like that formation either, especially when we back off. We didn't miss Henderson one bit either.
      Defence , and Fullbacks in particular where very good. Would prefer us to play 4-4-1-1 against West Ham though.
      Still, mustn't grumble.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #718: Aug 25, 2015 09:31:38 am
      I would of taken 0-0 before a ball was taken

I would of taken 0-0 at half time

so all-in-all, I'm happy with the point and a 0-0

still unbeaten and no goals against - well chuffed!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,568 posts | 1802 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #719: Aug 25, 2015 10:09:40 am
      Very easy this giving armbands to new signings who have played for the enemy more than us business isn't it. Here you go new signing, have free rein and be the second/third boss. He can shout and organise regardless of the armband, it's fu**ed up, have no doubts about that.

City not really the enemy though are they. not like he was a manc or a bluenose.

I get your point though.

I just think BR seen this season as a totally new beginning, new coaches, new players etc. clean slate.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #720: Aug 25, 2015 10:12:38 am
      There was a point in the game when Skrts turned into a F***ing monster and for some reason he obtained those "Carra eyes"... lolol..  Like someone said, the man was possessed.. Love it When Martin acts as hard as he looks.. lolol
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #721: Aug 25, 2015 10:24:19 am

Nah mate, it's you that's fu**ed up, with your backward attitude, so f***in what he played for City last season so what he had been given the armband,
      He's a Liverpool player now, a player who's experience is essential for us this season, we lost our most experienced player in Gerrard, Milner replaces that pivotal experience,

Get over your small mindedness and poor attitude we are a very young side going places, places where Milner has gone before,

I believe we will be right in the mix this season and James experience could be the difference for us,

YNWA
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #722: Aug 25, 2015 10:33:46 am
      2 defenders and the keeper taking almost 65% of the votes for our MOTM.

We'll take that to assume that most people on here think it was a point saved rather than two dropped.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #723: Aug 25, 2015 10:39:49 am
      Would have taken a point before kick off but i can't help feeling that Arsenal were there for the taking. A good solid start to the Season and credit has to go to Brendan and the lads for slowly turning things around.

7 points from 9 is a good return but we have a solid run of games coming up, get those out of the way and still be in the mix and we're on for it.
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #724: Aug 25, 2015 10:49:40 am

We'll take that to assume that most people on here think it was a point saved rather than two dropped.

Not at all. We were the far better side in the first half and weren't bad in the second but we clearly set up to absorb pressure and counter attack. I don't think I would say two points dropped but I do think we were the better team.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #725: Aug 25, 2015 10:53:08 am
      i find it insulting that milner is our captain! not saying hes not a good player but he was surplus at city and literally just walks in and is our captain?

it should be Coutinho or skrtel. even if its just for perceptions sake.

Even if city have more money, how can we have one of their cast offs as captain? smh

What a fu**ed up logic! Its all about assuming responsibility. There have been players who wilted under the pressure of captaincy, not knowing what to do/communicate/direct during crunch games. Just bcos you've served longer doesn't earn you the merit of being the vice-captain/captain.

Milner knows what it takes to win. And by no means he was a cast off. City were piss poor last season in the midfield due to the indifferent form of Fernandinho and Yaya, and the debacle called Fernando. Had Milner been given an extended run, he would've comfortably cemented his place behind Silva.

Back on topic, he was vital yesterday in midfield to stifle Sanchez and Ozil, esp in the second half. Near-faultless display yet again!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #726: Aug 25, 2015 11:00:39 am

Depends. I personally think a defender should be MOTM as the attackers failed to take the chances that we had. It was of course the defenders that kept us in it in the second half.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,568 posts | 1802 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #727: Aug 25, 2015 11:21:49 am

no, just they deserve credit for keeping arsenal out.

Forwards played well too, if coutinho had scored a winner, which he very nearly did, Id have give it to him. sme goes for big Ben.

The whole team played very well tbf.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #728: Aug 25, 2015 11:34:30 am

2pts dropped in the first half, 1 pt saved in the 2nd.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #729: Aug 25, 2015 11:48:46 am
      It was a great point and a game of two halves to be fair.
      Our team looks solid defensively, which i believe is where most of the hard work pre-season was focussed on.
      With flair players in our side we are bound to create the odd chance and as expected when playing against teams like Arsenal who will come at us, this type of system is suited to counter attacking.

For our next home match i would like to see some flexibility in our formation going forward. Defence remains unchanged, but in midfield and attack it may be worthwhile introducing one more "hungry" striker to accompany Benteke up top and transfer some pressure onto our opposition. At least try something different before we play the Mancs.

Great team performance though, Skrtel, Gomez and Lucas were my Motm
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #730: Aug 25, 2015 11:49:53 am
      Thought we were "outstanding".

Defensively we were formidable and well organised, and in midfield we had industry and bite.

The captain was my man of the match. Intense work rate all over the pitch and battled away for 90 mins.

Commendable mentions to Mignolet who pulled off a couple of really good stops, and Gomez too who looks solid.

Benteke - don't know how he missed that opportunity really. He needs to be more clinical than that. His overall game was decent but he just lacked the pass and awareness on a couple of occasions to play a final ball.

Firminho, don't think he really offered us much but that was quite a baptism of fire for him to be thrown into, as such.

Mignolet: 8
      Clyne: 7
      Skertel: 7
      Lovren: 7
      Gomez: 8
      Milner: 8
      Lucas: 7
      Can: 7
      Coutinho: 7
      Firminho: 6
      Benteke: 7

Overall, we should have won. Arsenal should have been tested more in the second half as they looked pokey at the back. Content with a point. And the lads can take a lot of heart and confidence from that game.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #731: Aug 25, 2015 12:27:15 pm
      Very good team performance against a good arsenal side. I think Firminio is getting better by the game, can't say the same about Ibe though, not quite sure what is going on with him but he seems nervous and unsure at the moment.
      I would like to see Ings get a chance though, I think he could offer us something a bit different in attack together with Benteke.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #732: Aug 25, 2015 12:36:27 pm
      I would like to see Ings get a chance though, I think he could offer us something a bit different in attack together with Benteke.

Wouldn't mind seeing Ings getting a run out against West Ham next week to be honest, but when you look at how last nights starting XI performed, realistically who do you drop ?

Last nights Starting XI for me have earned the right to start against West Ham with their performances all around the pitch, it should be up to the others including Henderson to force their way back in to the team.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #733: Aug 25, 2015 12:38:09 pm
      Surprised Coutinho is not leading the man of the match poll, he was magical last night, even United fans are saying how good he was in spells.
      marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Reply #734: Aug 25, 2015 12:45:49 pm
      Can't think of a more thrilling 0-0 draw. Slightly frustrated we didn't capitalize on their mistakes/our chances in the first half (and late second half), and slightly relieved we survived their good chances. Overall, I think we've made a great start to the season. Defense looks as good as it's been under Brendan, and hopefully we won't be lacking goals for yet another season.
      Migs: Great performance, no complaints at all for me. Looking one of the best in the league right now, 3/3 clean sheets.
      Clyne: Love this guy. Made a mistake letting Ramsey run in behind for their (goal), but other than that he's a small statured beast.
      Skrtel: Threw everything he had at that game,& we needed it all.Love the intensity in the 2nd half, has been one of my favorites last few seasons.
      Lovren: Couldn't have predicted his start to this season. He's been very solid, like the defender we thought we were buying last summer.
      Gomez: What a find, what a gem. Can't believe he's 18. Doesn't offer us too much forward, but worth everything defending. He'll be a stud for us.
      Lucas: A tad rusty, but he's exactly what we needed in this game. Could see Hendo or Can losing time if he continues w/ efforts like this.
      Milner: You can just tell when a guy gives anything & everything to a team, and he has done that every game so far. It's infectious.
      Can: Thought he started out very, very rough. But grew into the game, and hopefully grows into the season as he did last year.
      Firmino: Not sure what to think of him yet. Moments of good things, but doesn't dazzle you like Couts does. Needs more time, which he'll get.
      Couts: My MOTM, as he's everything to us offensively. Pay this guy his $ so he doesn't leave us after a sensational year.
      Benteke: Beast. What a beast. Also showing us other sides of his game as well. Wish he'd look to shoot a tad more, but happy with him so far.

Ibe: Disappointing start to the season for me. He's young, but those comparing to Sterling need to check that. He has potential, but we need to see more.
      Rossiter: What a feeling it had to be for him. Got turned inside out a few times, but you can see glimpses of what he *could* be. Reminds you a tad of Stevie at that age.
      Moreno: Love the energy he brings, and could see him playing on that wing a lot actually. However, his break could have won us the game if he actually had his head up and made the proper pass.

Onward and upward, keep the defensive momentum going and let's get a goal or two at home against West Ham. Exciting times again!
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #735: Aug 25, 2015 01:39:05 pm
      That performance will instill confidence throughout the team.

Can't see Arsenal challenging for the title - the can't control games or put sufficient pressure on when they are out of possession but some teams will be getting hammered 5-0 by them.

As for us, the plan is coming together - even the naysayers have had to shut the F**k up which is telling with a 0-0 performance.

Best thing of all for me was that we look less naive as a team - working the ref, wasting time and committing smart fouls - all crucial attributes for a team that wants to win things.

We set up specifically to counter Arsenal but we will have even more attacking play against other teams and they won't have Cech playing a worldie to save them.

Well in lads :)

Quick Reply