Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 6th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W8 D1 L6

Older fans v younger fans

Read 9095 times
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Re: Older fans v younger fans
      Reply #46: Sep 02, 2015 12:06:51 am
      If only you knew where the name LITTLEFACE comes from!!. 

Dick Tracy?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,660 posts | 6955 
      Reply #47: Sep 02, 2015 12:04:10 pm
      Yet i found that later, a lot of older fans were being slated for saying we were lucky , or that although it was a great result, A poor team had got extremely lucky.

Most old people are miserable old farts and are increasingly more likely to vote Tory so it's probably more of an old v young idealism thing and not really related to football.

Yes Liverpool were amazing when I was kid and yes Liverpool are pretty average at the minute.

We 'slightly' older fans were lucky - when we were young Liverpool was a football club with the sole aim of winning trophies.  Today's teenagers and fellas in their twenties see a company determined to get as much money from them in ticket sales, tours, merchandising and leveraging their facebook likes and retweets to make themselves more attractive to commercial sponsorship.

The club quite clearly isn't run anymore with the intention of being dominant on the pitch.  I don't think many people young, old, ancient would disagree with that.

It is what it is.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #48: Sep 02, 2015 12:25:39 pm
      I have a lot of respect for young fans today, the temptation to support the City's and Chelsea's of the world must be considerable.
      That said the young kids tend to take too much notice of sensational headlines, and lap up Sky sports news like it's gospel.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,289 posts | 4938 
      Reply #49: Sep 02, 2015 12:42:30 pm
      That said the young kids tend to take too much notice of sensational headlines, and lap up Sky sports news like it's gospel.

They do but I know plenty of thirty something's like myself who are just as bad.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,357 posts | 6398 
      Reply #50: Sep 02, 2015 01:49:09 pm
      They do but I know plenty of thirty something's like myself who are just as bad.

You are only in your thirties? I thought you were an old man ;D j/k

I'm a bit of a conundrum because while falling into the older category (I'm 40), I've only been a Liverpool supporter for about 10 years or so I guess and I suppose the first few years, I had no clue about football and no clue about the history of the club. I've learned a lot in that time and maybe some of my patience is due to the fact that while I know about the glory days, I didn't really fully experience them....so I don't have those vivid memories like a lot of the older fans do. I'm jealous of the way that guys like Walton talk about the old days, it had to be amazing to be a supporter during that glory era.

On the other hand, the only other team (Dallas) that I vehemently support is in the NFL and their history of winning is reasonably similar to Liverpool in that they are one of the all time winningest teams, but have been on quite a drought for the last 20 years or so, coming close last year, but not quite able to get over the hump. So as a Liverpool supporter I'm fairly patient...as a Dallas supporter, I'm not patient at all and I have an extreme sense of urgency. So I can appreciate both sides and I understand what a lot of the older fans are going through.

Not sure what the point of my post was other than to make fun of Si ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,289 posts | 4938 
      Reply #51: Sep 02, 2015 01:55:01 pm
      You are only in your thirties? I thought you were an old man ;D j/k

Wise beyond my years my friend. ;D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #52: Sep 02, 2015 04:36:05 pm
      Wise beyond my years my friend. ;D

I'm just wrinkled beyond mine.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #53: Sep 02, 2015 04:41:04 pm

Aye, your balls nearly scrape the floor.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,357 posts | 6398 
      Reply #54: Sep 02, 2015 04:59:18 pm
      Aye, your balls nearly scrape the floor.

It'd take that as a compliment Rodders.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #55: Sep 02, 2015 07:03:13 pm
      Most old people are miserable old farts and are increasingly more likely to vote Tory so it's probably more of an old v young idealism thing and not really related to football.

Yes Liverpool were amazing when I was kid and yes Liverpool are pretty average at the minute.

We 'slightly' older fans were lucky - when we were young Liverpool was a football club with the sole aim of winning trophies.  Today's teenagers and fellas in their twenties see a company determined to get as much money from them in ticket sales, tours, merchandising and leveraging their facebook likes and retweets to make themselves more attractive to commercial sponsorship.

The club quite clearly isn't run anymore with the intention of being dominant on the pitch.  I don't think many people young, old, ancient would disagree with that.

It is what it is.

I think the most different aspect of my attitude as a Liverpool supporter now is.
      When i was young, i worshipped the players at our club. Especially Souness and obviously Kenny. But Souness did everything i wanted him to do for our team.
      Fearless, A true leader, F***ing fantastic footballer and was never, ever intimated. But i was a child and he was a grown man.

Now, i just see players as exactly what they are, football players. I don't care what they do in their private lives, or what their favourite food is. I just don't care about them personally whatsoever.

I hate the phrase " fantastic servant to the club" .
      I know of no servants on £150,000 a week.
      I think i am a pretty good judge of a player, not everyone else does, but i will go off a player very quickly if i don't rate him early on. The same with a manager.
      So i think it has been my patience that has been eroded away over the years, along with the connection i felt i had with the players who ran out for my
      team.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,358 posts | 1536 
      Reply #56: Sep 02, 2015 08:37:29 pm
      Jus for the record, I was first taken to Anfield as a four year old in 1956, by my Grandad, who had supported Liverpool for most of his life.
      When we conceded the third in istanbul, I turned to my son, who was 27 at the time, and said, Dan, don't think well come back from this mate, but stranger things have happened. I turned and saw the tears in his eyes. when Xabi put the third in, we shouted, jumped and hollered at anyone in hearing distance, and went totally crazy.  Then I said fukcin hell, we're gonna win this, they must be mentally wrecked. Didn't expect it to go to pens though, thought wed go on and win inside 90.
      I was 53 at the time, so old and young, all the same if you're a real Liverpool fan.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #57: Sep 07, 2015 09:37:28 pm
      I can remember when Ipswich Town had a "Foreign" player.. Arnold Muhren he was...
      Foreign players?! "they'll never make it over here" me grandad said.... :laugh:

Then we signed Jan Molby and I thought "Jesus Christ.. he's a monster"   :laugh: :laugh:
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #58: Sep 09, 2015 09:41:44 pm
      I can remember when Ipswich Town had a "Foreign" player.. Arnold Muhren he was...
      Foreign players?! "they'll never make it over here" me grandad said.... :laugh:

Then we signed Jan Molby and I thought "Jesus Christ.. he's a monster"   :laugh: :laugh:

If you read the "your brush with players"
      You will read when me and my mates met MOLBY.

He was a F***ing outstanding player. The complete opposite of HENDERSON . A player who could just operate in the middle of the park , without actually running around. His passing was outstanding and was played in his head before he got the ball. A TRUE footballer.

Henderson is just am athletic young lad with no guile what so ever.
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #59: Sep 09, 2015 09:49:40 pm
      Jus for the record, I was first taken to Anfield as a four year old in 1956, by my Grandad, who had supported Liverpool for most of his life.
      When we conceded the third in istanbul, I turned to my son, who was 27 at the time, and said, Dan, don't think well come back from this mate, but stranger things have happened. I turned and saw the tears in his eyes. when Xabi put the third in, we shouted, jumped and hollered at anyone in hearing distance, and went totally crazy.  Then I said fukcin hell, we're gonna win this, they must be mentally wrecked. Didn't expect it to go to pens though, thought wed go on and win inside 90.
      I was 53 at the time, so old and young, all the same if you're a real Liverpool fan.

Yes, all the same on a night like that. But not over the course of 10 poor league campaigns .

We can all scream and shout after that game.But that is no barometer of a younger fan never seeing a title winning side. Against an older fan telling him , while that night was incredible, the 2004-05 league season was pathetic.

I personally would judge RAFA on that league season .Instead of us winning a cup.Sounds harsh? But thats just the way i judge a team.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #60: Sep 09, 2015 09:49:52 pm
      My earliest memory is the 65 Cup final but I still maintain that Istanbul is one of the greatest nights this club has ever had and lets face it we have seen some special games. So if its in your blood and like your Grandad did for you you educate the young then age is nothing when it comes to following this club.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,983 posts | 3061 
      Reply #61: Sep 09, 2015 09:55:39 pm
      If you read the "your brush with players"
      You will read when me and my mates met MOLBY.

He was a f**king outstanding player. The complete opposite of HENDERSON . A player who could just operate in the middle of the park , without actually running around. His passing was outstanding and was played in his head before he got the ball. A TRUE footballer.

Henderson is just am athletic young lad with no guile what so ever.

Some assist record for so guile.

We'd have won the title in 2014 had this kid not been sent off. He's no Jan Molby for sure - but he is Jordan Henderson and a fine player and character to all those who are willing to see.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,195 posts | 4406 
      Reply #62: Sep 09, 2015 10:02:12 pm

We'd have won the title in 2014 had this kid not been sent off. He's no Jan Molby for sure - but he is Jordan Henderson and a fine player and character to all those who are willing to see.

We should not have lost to Chelsea irrespective of Henderson, that's where we lost the league. Simple naivety.

littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #63: Sep 09, 2015 10:03:46 pm

Sorry mate. But he is not even a half decent player. If he was , teams would be coming in for him. He is the complete opposite to MOLBY. Who could run a game without running about  scatterbrained. Henderson is all energy nothing more. I do not consider that a priority for a captain and CM. You need something more. He lacks it in spades.

Name his great games on a blunt handed man.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #64: Sep 09, 2015 10:48:25 pm
      Sorry mate. But he is not even a half decent player. If he was , teams would be coming in for him. He is the complete opposite to MOLBY. Who could run a game without running about  scatterbrained. Henderson is all energy nothing more. I do not consider that a priority for a captain and CM. You need something more. He lacks it in spades.

Name his great games on a blunt handed man.
      That’s what Gerrard indicated on the eve of this announcement: “Jordan’s so professional, he’s a winner, a great lad.

“I don’t think there’s a more fitting player to take that armband off me.”

Gerrard’s words are the perfect endorsement for Henderson’s appointment—he is by far the best candidate for the role.

Comparing with Jan Molby is farcical he is half his size for a start and twice as quick Molby was a completely different player but next time I chat to him I will tell him how he compares to Jordan .
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #65: Sep 09, 2015 11:23:29 pm
      That’s what Gerrard indicated on the eve of this announcement: “Jordan’s so professional, he’s a winner, a great lad.

“I don’t think there’s a more fitting player to take that armband off me.”

Gerrard’s words are the perfect endorsement for Henderson’s appointment—he is by far the best candidate for the role.

Comparing with Jan Molby is farcical he is half his size for a start and twice as quick Molby was a completely different player but next time I chat to him I will tell him how he compares to Jordan .

Both completely different players?  Even though they play the same position?
      One can run a game from midfield without wasting energy. The other runs around alot, whilst acheiving little.

And just what else did you expect Gerrard to say?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,357 posts | 6398 
      Reply #66: Sep 10, 2015 02:48:57 am
      Sorry mate. But he is not even a half decent player. If he was , teams would be coming in for him.
      So......Coutinho must not be a half decent player either since no teams are coming in for him? But yet Lambert was sold pretty easily...so I suppose he's better than both of them?

BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #67: Sep 10, 2015 03:32:58 am
      I wonder if this would even be a topic right now had we inflicted, rather than received, a 3-0 tw@tting last time out.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #68: Sep 10, 2015 06:32:31 pm
      We should not have lost to Chelsea irrespective of Henderson, that's where we lost the league. Simple naivety.

Would you say we we're naive when Arsenal and Michael Thomas nicked the title from us in the last minute of the last game in 89?
      There's been other years when we have lost crucial games in the final run in and paid the price...
      Football is a crazy game, thats why we love it so much...

Quick Reply