Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Brendan Rodgers VS Rafael Benitez Transfer Spend

Read 25597 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Brendan Rodgers VS Rafael Benitez Transfer Spend
      Reply #161: Sep 11, 2015 01:16:23 pm
      Been thinking about this over the last couple of days and trying to get my thoughts together.

It could be argued that Rodgers has assembled a better 'Squad' than Rafa, meaning injury wise, he has better replacements to step up, where as Rafa assembled a much stronger first XI.

But what we seen with Rafa's team barring an unmitigated disaster the squad players didn't need to be of the quality of his Starting XI as there was enough quality on the pitch that if 1 or 2 were out injured, the quality of the other 9 could carry those squad players through and even see them raise their game on occasions.

Maybe we need to have a rethink on our transfer strategy, we have a Squad, we shouldn't be chasing 6-8 players every summer, maybe we should start looking at bringing in just one or two who are a huge improvement on the players who are considered to be our strongest First XI, take Migs for example, we get ourselves an upgrade on Migs, Migs becomes a squad player, if he's not happy to do that, he gets sold, either way we are stronger in the goal keeping department. In this sense though we have to go after genuine quality, not potential.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,453 posts | 8662 
      Reply #162: Sep 11, 2015 01:29:32 pm
      It could be argued that Rodgers has assembled a better 'Squad' than Rafa, meaning injury wise, he has better replacements to step up, where as Rafa assembled a much stronger first XI.

I don't actually agree, seeing as some of those replacements just aren't good enough!

Whether through tactics or just sheer will, Rafa's team would smash Brendan's team

AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #163: Sep 11, 2015 01:51:25 pm
      Rafa has 20 years experience on Brendan, not really a fair comparison.

At least Himself & FSG have added experience to his back room staff, which I think can only help.

But none of us support Brendan Rodgers FC. Its Liverpool FC.

The guy had never done anything to earn the job. And was being rather opportunistic even accepting it.
      Thats why many of us will never really like him anyway. In addition to him being unable to meet the managerial standards we expect.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #164: Sep 11, 2015 02:00:08 pm
      I don't actually agree, seeing as some of those replacements just aren't good enough!

Whether through tactics or just sheer will, Rafa's team would smash Brendan's team

I don't doubt that mate, First XI on First XI Rafa's team would destroys Brendan's, second string XI of squad players, Brendan's would probably edge it.

So for me Rodgers has probably got more strength in depth (reserve), where as Rafa without doubt had the stronger and superior XI, which is the initial point I was trying to make.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,341 posts | 4963 
      Reply #165: Sep 11, 2015 02:10:10 pm
      I don't doubt that mate, First XI on First XI Rafa's team would destroys Brendan's, second string XI of squad players, Brendan's would probably edge it.

So for me Rodgers has probably got more strength in depth (reserve), where as Rafa without doubt had the stronger and superior XI, which is the initial point I was trying to make.

We've a stronger squad but still lack that one or two really top drawer players in the first 11 that Rafa had.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #166: Sep 11, 2015 02:28:00 pm
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,607 posts | 1813 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #167: Sep 11, 2015 02:58:38 pm
      But none of us support Brendan Rodgers FC. Its Liverpool FC.

The guy had never done anything to earn the job. And was being rather opportunistic even accepting it.
      Thats why many of us will never really like him anyway. In addition to him being unable to meet the managerial standards we expect.

This is true, and If I was in charge I would have had rafa back in a heartbeat, and I would not have sacked King Kenny.

But I'm not in charge, and I can't really influence the board.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #168: Sep 11, 2015 03:12:40 pm
      We've a stronger squad but still lack that one or two really top drawer players in the first 11 that Rafa had.

Put Alonso, Reina, Gerrard, Agger, Mascherano, Carragher, Torres of 08/2009 in this starting XI complemented by Moreno, Clyne, Coutinho, Firminho, would be some team that.

Reina

Clyne                 Carra        Agger                Moreno

Masch       Alonso

Coutinho                  Gerrard                      Firminho

Torres

Look at the spine of that team, it was 4 players short of rivaling a Real Madrid Galactico XI.

When you look at our Current Spine in comparisons, for the money that has been spent, it is pitiful.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #169: Sep 11, 2015 03:14:52 pm
      People need to have a think back about managerial experience, and who had what, because our greatest manager had very little and had never won a trophy as a manager before being appointed.
      Bob Paisley had been an assistant at LFC.
      Joe Fagan came up through the ranks, and had no previous management experience.
      Kenny Dalglish, no management experience.

Then we come to Souness, who had plenty of management experience and had won trophies.
      Roy Evans was promoted from within (just to show it's not always successful)
      Gerard Houllier had plenty of experience, and 1 league title.
      Rafa Benitez, had experience and won titles in spain.

Saying that a manager shouldn't be in a job because he's won nothing or isn't "experienced" is complete bollocks, as our history shows.

He should be judged by his results, end of story.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #170: Sep 11, 2015 03:18:53 pm
      Saying that a manager shouldn't be in a job because he's won nothing or isn't "experienced" is complete bollocks, as our history shows.

Think its hard to gauge to the managers that have came through at Liverpool with no experience to be honest, look at what Ronnie Moran said about Paisley, Paisley was Shanks go to go to guy regarding tactics because Bob was very tactically astute.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #171: Sep 11, 2015 03:25:55 pm
      Think its hard to gauge to the managers that have came through at Liverpool with no experience to be honest, look at what Ronnie Moran said about Paisley, Paisley was Shanks go to go to guy regarding tactics because Bob was very tactically astute.

It's about teamwork.
      Always has been, always will be in any successful management team.

According to players who have played under BR, he is an exceptional coach in every respect.
      It's time for that to translate onto the pitch again.

The point is, it's just lazy thinking to say "no experience" or "hasn't won anything" or any number of ill judged remarks, because experience is not a guarantee of quality.
      If it was, 'Arry Redknapp would have won shitloads.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #172: Sep 11, 2015 03:37:09 pm
      Rafa was only 44 in 2004. He'd already worked miracles with Valencia (I mean winning the league TWICE without a fluke occurence like Suarez, AND a UEFA Cup) and by 05.. we know what he did.

Actually, Valencia lost in 2 consecutive Champions League finals in the two seasons before Rafa took over. They were already a good side that Rafa improved upon. And you could argue the fluke occurrence was down seasons for Real and Barca in those years, especially Barcelona.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #173: Sep 11, 2015 03:54:13 pm
      According to players who have played under BR, he is an exceptional coach in every respect.

Ex players opinions aren't always necessarily correct, if ex players words translated into %100 accuracy, Joe Cole would have been up for the ballon d'or.

I'm not saying that to be a tw*t either, players may think he's an exceptional coach because they enjoy the atmosphere and the training, where as other players may think some one like Rafa or Houllier were not exceptional coaches as they did not like the discipline, authoritarian aspect and the intensity of their training, but out of three in terms of being exceptional coaches, I think we hand on heart know which position we'd put them in if we were putting them 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,670 posts | 7156 
      Reply #174: Sep 11, 2015 05:19:09 pm

You had me fooled.... ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,341 posts | 4963 
      Reply #175: Sep 11, 2015 05:20:57 pm
      It's time for that to translate onto the pitch again.

Strange thing is that it's the coaching that has become my biggest concern with Brendan.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #176: Sep 11, 2015 05:56:57 pm
      Strange thing is that it's the coaching that has become my biggest concern with Brendan.

I think I can't really make a judgement after 4 games with more new players mate.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,341 posts | 4963 
      Reply #177: Sep 11, 2015 05:59:01 pm
      I think I can't really make a judgement after 4 games with more new players mate.

I do agree on this season so far but it's the concern I had last season.

I've said many times on here that I think we have good players, some very good, and I'm not sure if are making the most of them and there are small signs that it hasn't went away.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #178: Sep 11, 2015 06:09:57 pm
      I do agree on this season so far but it's the concern I had last season.

I've said many times on here that I think we have good players, some very good, and I'm not sure if are making the most of them and there are small signs that it hasn't went away.

Now you mention it, I remember you posting about it.

Then again, it could easily be a lack of cohesion in the squad due to the amount of new players we've signed.

Look at man u for example: they've spent a shitload of money and bought fewer players, but they are struggling for any kind of fluency, but according to the perceived wisdom, if only we had bought "established" stars we wouldn't be where we are.
      Well, man u have tried that, and it's really not working out very well for them so far, even though they managed top 4.

I don't think it's as simple as that, but a new coaching team, along with more new players is always going to lead to a few teething problems.
      Ever the optimist, I'm hoping it's nothing more than that :)
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #179: Sep 11, 2015 08:04:28 pm
      I think the caps lock is stuck in your head, Mr Phd School of Hard Knocks.  :lmao:

Come on tell us why Fenway are great again. I like a laugh on Friday morning.. ;)

PS and on Rafa vs the Ulster Genius. Rafa's net spend til the Keane purchase was a fair bit better. With the Xabi sale it meant Rafa had no chance going forward. You have to include inflation and rivals in all this.

Rafa is a vastly better manager. But really you couldn't expect much from Rafa, Rodgers or anyone in the 5 yrs Fenway have been here.

Wait a second ive worked it out..

...self appointed business genius...
      ...bitter at the current and last owners..
      ....clueless about the game....
      ..doesnt visit anfield any more...

...you are Steve Morgan and i claim my five pounds! Cheer up Steve no point on dwelling on what might have been; still got Purslow on your leash?  :lmao:
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,060 posts | 547 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers VS Rafael Benitez Transfer Spend.
      Reply #180: Sep 11, 2015 09:10:24 pm
      Forgive me but I don't understand why inflation should make such a huge difference? After all, the players Rafa sold came under the same market conditions to the ones that he bought, therefore net spend should not be greatly affected even when comparing two different periods of time. As an example, Alonso was bought for 10m in 2004 when he was 22 and sold for 30m in 2009. If the same thing happened under Rodgers' tenure, we would've paid around 25-30m in 2012 for a similar player (see Real Madrid paying 28m for a 22-year-old Asier Illaremendi two years ago), and probably got close to 45-50m providing this player became as good as Alonso was if we sold him in a couple of years. The difference in net spend though is zero - both a gain of around £20m.

Of course there are anomalies that can skew the data and players that were "inherited" which both managers can benefit from. Ultimately though, the players Rafa bought were a whole lot cheaper than now, but at the same time the ones he sold were a lot cheaper than the transfer fees we could've got now. That is why after just three years Rodgers has already bought AND sold far more in proportion to what Rafa did in six.

Thought this was a good point re the transfer spend. Inflation applies to the money you are bringing in by selling, as well as the money going out on buying. It doesnt exactly cancel out ( since both managers are spending more than they are bringing in), but working out Rafa's net spend and then doubling it to account for inflation doesnt really make sense.
      Basically Brendans net spend is bigger than Rafa's, even allowing for inflation.
      (Of course there are other factors - eg wage bill.)

Anyway, Rafa is pretty clearly a better manager than Brendan ( as was Kenny). This doesnt necessarily mean Brendan is not a good manager. The question is - is he?
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #181: Sep 12, 2015 08:48:36 am
      Seen this brought up a few times in different threads, so thought i'd put it down in black and white in one thread to discuss.
      Not commenting on the content because I can't, but fair play Red, that's a fair chunk of work you put in

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,882 posts | 704 
      Reply #182: Sep 12, 2015 04:07:17 pm
      Quote from Paisleydalglish
      I'd imagine had Rafa gone to manage in Scotland and America and won league titles you would just be as full of praise for him

It wouldn't happen, as he might be expected to win a league there, rather than "make progress".

Quote from Hollywood Balls
      It must have slipped your mind that Rafa also signed an extension - or pehaps you were unaware?

"After months of speculation and nail-biting, Rafael Benitez has finally signed the new four-year extension to his current contract,which would have expired at the end of next season. Benitez is now contracted to the club until the summer of 2014".

It was not an extension, it was a brand new contract, which never started. If he kept his mouth shut for a few more months, rather than come out swinging at all and sundry at every opportunity, he would have got to subject us to 4 more years of "controlling the game", while our rivals got on with "winning the game". Regardless what he thinks of the current owners (in)competence, Rodgers doesn't criticise them in public, so keeps his job.

5 years on, Rafa still has no league title. He hasn't made much progress in the European Cup since either. The decision to remove him was the correct decision.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,453 posts | 8662 
      Reply #183: Sep 12, 2015 04:10:50 pm
      It wouldn't happen, as he might be expected to win a league there, rather than "make progress".

It was not an extension, it was a brand new contract, which never started. If he kept his mouth shut for a few more months, rather than come out swinging at all and sundry at every opportunity, he would have got to subject us to 4 more years of "controlling the game", while our rivals got on with "winning the game". Regardless what he thinks of the current owners (in)competence, Rodgers doesn't criticise them in public, so keeps his job.

5 years on, Rafa still has no league title. He hasn't made much progress in the European Cup since either. The decision to remove him was the correct decision.

Hahahahaha F**k off you trolling tit!!

It wasn't because the person who replaced him wasn't good enough to manage Liverpool FC - therefore it was a bad decision, you should only replace with better.

Rafa still made history whether you like it or F***ing not so smoke it and stay across the F***ing water!!

Quick Reply