Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Will we miss Harry Kewell?

Yes
      (16.5%)
      No
      (83.5%)

Harry Kewell (Liverpool - > Galatasaray)

Read 36191 times
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Re: The Official Harry Kewell thread
      Reply #92: Mar 02, 2008 02:28:21 am
      I don't think he'll stay, even though he was a great player, and seems a good guy.
      I think he'll go to somewhere like Portsmouth, Fulham,Reading.
      We need to have a serious look at getting Joe Cole, as he would be a superb addition to the squad
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #93: Mar 02, 2008 12:13:05 pm
      we'd be better off selling him come june and try and get a few quid back.

Unfortunately he's out of contract in the summer mate, if he goes (which it's increasingly looking like he will do) it will be for nothing.
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #94: Mar 02, 2008 12:22:50 pm
      What would he be worth now anyhow? He turns 30 in September.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #95: Mar 02, 2008 12:25:57 pm
      What would he be worth now anyhow? He turns 30 in September.

With his injury record, even if he had a contract he'd only fetch about £2m.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #96: Mar 02, 2008 12:49:50 pm
      Yep, apparently hodgson wants him for fulham.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #97: Mar 02, 2008 12:58:44 pm
      I don't think he'll stay, even though he was a great player, and seems a good guy.
      I think he'll go to somewhere like Portsmouth, Fulham,Reading.
      We need to have a serious look at getting Joe Cole, as he would be a superb addition to the squad
      There's no way Cole would come to us, he's a Cockany Sparra through and through, he just see us as "Dery Norffen Bastads" it'll never happen!!
      « Last Edit: Mar 03, 2008 10:10:44 am by neilh2105 »
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #98: Mar 02, 2008 01:14:37 pm
      Unfortunately he's out of contract in the summer mate, if he goes (which it's increasingly looking like he will do) it will be for nothing.

oh yeah forgot about that, still though at least we wont be paying his ridiculous wages!
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #99: Mar 03, 2008 10:23:22 am
      Come to think of it he's done F**k all with us, but get injured. What makes anyone think anything is going to change, especially at the age of 30? Give him a Bosman and a wave goodbye.
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Kewell's reds career coming to an end?
      Reply #100: Mar 13, 2008 12:36:31 pm
      Im not too sure how to take this stunning news :o

Harry Kewell heading for the exit at Liverpool FC

Mar 13 2008 by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

HARRY KEWELL'S Liverpool career appears to be drawing to a close after he told Rafa Benitez he wants to be allowed to travel to a training camp with a young Australia side rather than work on his fitness at Melwood.

Kewell is keen to join up with an Australia squad featuring just four senior players next week while his Liverpool team-mates are preparing for the visit of Manchester United in the Premier League.

Should Benitez relieve Kewell of his Melwood duties it will be the clearest indication yet that the injury-plagued winger has no future at the club.

Kewell was not in the Liverpool squad which travelled to Milan for Tuesday’s Champions League tie and he has not played for the first team since a fleeting substitute appearance against Barnsley last month.

With his current contract due to expire this summer and with no suggestions that he will be offered a new deal, all indications are that he is now heading towards the Anfield exit door.

The Aussie training camp takes place in Singapore and national team coach Pim Verbeek had resigned himself to working with just a group of young players while the majority of his senior stars remained with their respective clubs.

But with a World Cup qualifier against China in Kunming looming on March 26 – just days before the crucial Merseyside derby – Kewell has told Verbeek he wants to take part in the training camp in a bid to build up his fitness and to be ready for international duty.

The decision about whether he is allowed to travel to the Far East now rests with Benitez and should he give Kewell the go-ahead, it will be the clearest signal yet that his five-year stint with the Reds will not be extended.

Echo Link

The lad has had more second chances than Ashley Cole with his Mrs and whilst I will give him the benefit of mentioning his luck injury wise (if he was a horse he would have been shot!) even when he was fit I just cant help feeling 'what might have been'.
      He has had such a stop start career with the reds but I just dont think he ever looked like he would give a 100% and everytime he got the slightest knock he would be over to the line quicker than Emille Heskey was when it was a particular nippy day!

All in all it is better if he moved on although I cant help feeling he should have done it a couple of years ago.
      « Last Edit: Mar 13, 2008 06:34:40 pm by JD »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Kewell Reds career coming to an end?
      Reply #101: Mar 13, 2008 01:28:49 pm
      what career? He has offered this club nothing as far as im concerned in his time here. To me hes lazy has probably needed to adapt his game as he isnt the player he was but hasnt adapted it. I have no time for him.To me if your not playing well as can happen to any player but you give 100% to the cause fine. He has given no where near 100%. Players have come back from worse injuries then him and at least tried there best or in some cases worked there way back to a higher level. Not him. No loss to the club and undeserving of our number 7 shirt
      Koppite_Tom
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Reply #102: Mar 13, 2008 01:33:53 pm
      I can't make out what has happened to him, he's gone right down hill, he was a brilliant winger at leeds but as was said he has done nothing whilst here, wouldn't be surprised if he did leave.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #103: Mar 13, 2008 02:19:56 pm
      I think its obvious he will leave now and he wants to, hes past it if you ask me, still a good player but not good enough for us.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #104: Mar 13, 2008 02:32:39 pm
      I totally agree with you Glenbuck m8. I feel sorry for him in one respect but you have remove the leeches with salt eventually. I would say some of your comments Brian are a little harsh, and it could be argued that we have seen some fleeting glimpses of his talent. It would be fair to say that Rafa has seen something in him to allow him to stay on this long, but in the end the team and club must come first. Thanks "H" and good luck where ever you go mate. Perhaps you may have better luck playing cricket all the Aussies are really good at that!!!!(scuse the sarcastic cough splutter cough)
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #105: Mar 13, 2008 04:00:37 pm
      its just my view pragmatic. I dont recall him giving his all for us ever ok he may have scored a goal or 2 and set up 1 or 2 thats what we bought him for. How many times since he arrived have you left a game or the pub and said Jesus Kewell was outstanding today or Kewell won us that game? Rare if ever id say mate

As I said above if things arent going well for a player but he gives his all for example Dirk Kuyt then ive no problem but for me at times Kewell looks like he couldnt give a toss that he plays for Liverpool football club
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #106: Mar 13, 2008 04:28:28 pm
      im going to agree with brian on this one.  i was living in oz when kewell signed for us, and i thought it was a great coup getting him, especially for a knock down price.  but as brian has said, i cant recall talking about a match and saying that he won us that game, or did you see what harry kewell did today.

i really expected more from him, especially as he was a liverpool supporter ( i seen a show in oz about him, and he was wearing that dodgy grey away kit when he was a kid!) but it just didn't happen, although granted he did have his share of injuries.

rafa always seemed to like him though, playing him in finals after he hadn't played much.  if he does insist on going off just before a game, especially against the scum, i think it is poor form on his part after rafa has stuck by him.

to be honest, if thats his attitude, he'd be better off going.  at the end of the day, he probably knows he's on his way out anyway, and might be just throwing his toys out of the pram.
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #107: Mar 13, 2008 05:35:23 pm
      Guys 100% finished.  Fitness and confidence has completely gone - waste of space I'm afraid...he's had his chance on numerous occasions.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #108: Mar 13, 2008 05:52:29 pm
      Kewell wanted to be the star like at Leeds but here he was just a journeyman also the guy don't seem to like hard work, kewell if he wanted could have worked harder and he'd have found he could and should have given a lot more, something I think he'll come to regret.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #109: Mar 13, 2008 06:34:25 pm
      Just let me get this right.

We're paying him tens of thousands of pounds a week and he wants to go off with his Australian buddies?

Won't he miss his little 10 minute spell in a Champions League final.

Goodbye. Good riddance.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Re: Kewell's reds career coming to an end?
      Reply #110: Mar 14, 2008 12:01:37 am
      Have to vote for a no on this one.

We would miss the Harry Kewell showing the form of Leeds 1999 - 2001 but we will not miss the Harry Kewell that turned up at Anfield. Good luck to him if he does leave but he is a player that will coast through the rest of his career and that is not a player we need in the coming seasons.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: Kewell's reds career coming to an end?
      Reply #111: Mar 14, 2008 12:05:11 am
      There's only so long you can wait for someone to come good, and that time has definitely passed for Harry. He started to show glimpses of his old self in the 2005-06 season, but beside those few months he hasn't been anywhere near the player he used to be. It's a shame as he was one of those players that had me really excited when we signed him, but it's never quite worked out.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #112: Mar 14, 2008 12:11:39 am
      His Mrs was on Radio City news today saying how she's not sure whether she'll be living in Liverpool soon. As much as she wants to. Apparently it's 'all up in the air'.

Will this thread be locked at the end of the season?

The proof is in the pudding. If his Mrs was saying it's up in the air then he's on his way.

Agree with Eddie on him being one of those players I was excited about coming to Liverpool. Just wasn't meant to be.

Antz
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #113: Mar 14, 2008 03:14:43 am
      I'll miss seeing him play for the reds, but he does need to go. I've always been a Liverpool supporter and Ive always been a Harry Kewell fan so when he stiffed those wa**s at Manchester and signed up it was like Christmas, Hanukkah and national free hookers day all at once, I think its way to harsh to say he never lived up to his legacy at Leeds, Honestly (though I can be a bit biased) I thought he looked great until he first got injured and from there never really came back.

Though I still believe he is a class player, Football is Football and your either playing or your not. after a laundry list injury's he's now lucky to get a game, his confidence is definitely shot which is the kiss of death for any offensive player and at the end of the day Liverpool has become accustom to if he plays, he plays if not...meh, no biggy which lets be honest folks is not a good thing.

As much as I enjoyed watching him rip his man and crossing to Crouch, a crazy through ball or watching him scream and rant at referees it really does seem like a long time ago, we're a different side now and he doesn’t seem to shine in it.

Its such a God damn shame though, it should have been sooooo different!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #114: Mar 14, 2008 03:18:22 am

There's a national free hookers day & no-one told me about it?

Quick Reply