Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

The beginning of the end?

Read 6413 times
      RedrunstheColour
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 30 posts |
      The beginning of the end?
      Sep 25, 2015 08:37:03 pm
      Been holding my head in hands at some of the managers that our owners are apparently looking at to replace Rodgers, should he go. It doesn't make for good reading and to be honest, without trying to be presumptious are not fit for the job.

I'm already wavering in my support for Liverpool football club and have been since we unceremoniously sacked Rafa. I had absolute belief he was, at the time, the right man for the job. Back then I actually felt sick at the repercussions those actions may have for the future of the team. Make no mistake i was furious he sold Alonso. We needed to keep him, Arbeloa and buy another striker because Torres was starting to look knackered.

I digress. I didn't anticipate that four seasons later we'd have regressed even further. If we go backwards with another unknown manager I'm done. This football club has been ruined in its pursuit of money and piss poor management that runs from top to bottom for too long and too be honest there are far better things to worry about in life than some rich Americans play thing. What a travesty and a terrible legacy to so many greats that litter the history of Liverpool.

« Last Edit: Sep 25, 2015 10:17:09 pm by RedrunstheColour »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: The beginning of the end?
      Reply #1: Sep 25, 2015 08:39:28 pm
      What? Wavering in your support of the club? Red runs the colour....you sure?
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,615 posts | 7143 
      Reply #2: Sep 25, 2015 08:41:38 pm

I wish it was as easy as just not supporting LFC but its not that easy to do is it.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #3: Sep 25, 2015 09:08:13 pm
      We don't have a divine right to win anything. We get what we deserve and the mismanagement throughout the whole club is worthy of where we are at the moment.

I can't see how anyone can stop supporting Liverpool as a result - through bad times is that fans have to protest loud in order for mistakes and constant failure to be rectified. That is our job at the moment and if you get people stop supporting then nothing will change.

I wouldn't be on this forum - nor would 99.9% of us - if I didn't believe changes can be made for the better. I don't see years of wilderness, I see a club sitting on tons of potential if things are done right. And there are plenty of fans with better ideas than FSG as to how the club should approach footballing matters (e.g. I don't think any of us accept non-league wankers taking charge of the transfer committee)!

If things get worse, I would channel all that despair into louder calls for change and I still believe fan power has an impact particularly at Liverpool where the fans quite legitimate hig ambitions are increasingly at odds with the owners position (I won't say they have ambition..). That friction between fans and owners will explode if attendances go down, discontent is expressed and fan protests occur.
      « Last Edit: Sep 25, 2015 09:30:01 pm by Son Of A Gun »
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #4: Sep 25, 2015 09:27:19 pm
      This football club has been ruined in its pursuit of money and piss poor management that runs from top to bottom for too long and too be honest there are far better things to worry about in life than some rich Americans play thing. What a travesty and a terrible legacy to so many greats that litter the history of Liverpool.

Not exactly a play thing, more of a money maker

RedrunstheColour
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 30 posts |
      Reply #5: Sep 25, 2015 09:33:09 pm
      We don't have a divine right to win anything. We get what we deserve and the mismanagement throughout the whole club is worthy of where we are at the moment.

I can't see how anyone can stop supporting Liverpool as a result - through bad times is that we as fans have to protest loud in order for mistakes and constant failure to be rectified. That is our job at the moment and if you get people stop supporting then nothing will change.

I wouldn't be on this forum - nor would 99.9% of us - if I didn't believe changes can be made for the better. I don't see years of wilderness, I see a club sitting on tons of potential if things are done right. And there are plenty of fans with better ideas than FSG as to how the club should approach footballing matters (e.g. I don't think any of us accept non-league wankers taking charge of the transfer committee)!

If things get worse, I would channel all that despair into louder calls for change and I still believe fan power has an impact particularly at Liverpool where the fans quite legitimate hig ambitions are increasingly at odds with the owners position (I won't say they have ambition..). That friction between fans and owners will explode if attendances go down, discontent is expressed and fan protests occur.

I never said we did and don't expect to win the league every year. What I do expect from Liverpool football club as I have done since Souness took charge (I'm no glory boy) is to compete. We're so far from doing that on any front these days and that is unbelievable. A team that has the fifth highest wage bill in the league should be competing.
      RedrunstheColour
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 30 posts |
      Reply #6: Sep 25, 2015 09:34:08 pm
      I wish it was as easy as just not supporting LFC but its not that easy to do is it.

Your telling me. I've got the grey hairs to prove it.
      RedrunstheColour
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 30 posts |
      Reply #7: Sep 25, 2015 09:38:45 pm

I grew up with two manc brothers in an era when they were winning. I went to school and all my mates were mancs. When pompey come up and were being entertaining upstarts all my mates are pompey fans. They all asked at some point you may as well change. Not once did I entertain the idea because I loved the club ethos. What is that nowadays?
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #8: Sep 25, 2015 09:47:38 pm
      I never said we did and don't expect to win the league every year. What I do expect from Liverpool football club as I have done since Souness took charge (I'm no glory boy) is to compete. We're so far from doing that on any front these days and that is unbelievable. A team that has the fifth highest wage bill in the league should be competing.

Sadly, a team with the fifth highest wage bill usually finishes fifth.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,217 posts | 4413 
      Reply #9: Sep 25, 2015 10:07:56 pm

Ha ha we don't even finish par as 6th seems to be our position more often than not.

RedrunstheColour
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 30 posts |
      Reply #10: Sep 25, 2015 10:13:49 pm
      I get that. Finish 2nd, 7th I don't care. I never did. I've always had faith that whatever happens the club's going in the right direction. And should we require the services of a new manager we shouldn't have to be rummaging through charity bins. I want decisive decisions made at board level from people who know the game and I have absolutely no doubt that our owners know how to make money. Can they translate that to the pitch?
      RedrunstheColour
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 30 posts |
      Reply #11: Sep 25, 2015 10:15:19 pm
      Christ mate, I'm a rafa fan. You must know this doesn't apply to me.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8622 
      Reply #12: Sep 25, 2015 10:20:03 pm
      Been holding my head in hands at some of the managers that our owners are apparently looking at to replace Rodgers, should he go. It doesn't make for good reading and to be honest, without trying to be presumptious are not fit for the job.

I'm already wavering in my support for Liverpool football club and have been since we unceremoniously sacked Rafa. Back then I actually felt sick at the repercussions those actions may have for the future of the team. Make no mistake i was furious he sold Alonso. We needed to keep him, Arbeloa and buy another striker because Torres was starting to look knackered.

I digress. I didn't anticipate that four seasons later we'd have regressed even further. If we go backwards with another unknown manager I'm done. This football club has been ruined in its pursuit of money and piss poor management that runs from top to bottom for too long and too be honest there are far better things to worry about in life than some rich Americans play thing. What a travesty and a terrible legacy to so many greats that litter the history of Liverpool.

Hahaha furious he sold Alonso, yeah like he had a choice. Once Real Madrid came sniffing, Xabi was always going to be off, just like Luis to Barcelona.

Why can't some get that through their heads!!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #13: Sep 25, 2015 10:32:26 pm
      Hahaha furious he sold Alonso, yeah like he had a choice. Once Real Madrid came sniffing, Xabi was always going to be off, just like Luis to Barcelona.

So trying to flog Alonso all round Europe the season before so he could sign Gareth "f**king" Barry had no part in Alonso deciding to leave then mate?

I don't think Alonso was too chuffed when he was dropped for Damien Plessis either :D
      RedrunstheColour
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 30 posts |
      Reply #14: Sep 25, 2015 10:36:28 pm

you always have a choice
      RedrunstheColour
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 30 posts |
      Reply #15: Sep 25, 2015 10:39:40 pm
      Look,,,,I don't want this to be a 'he said, she said' thread. It's personal feelings on a great institution I've grown up with and seen fall from grace for all the wrong reasons. I'm just venting. Ignore me and lock it please. I've said my piece.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,217 posts | 4413 
      Reply #16: Sep 25, 2015 10:40:55 pm
      So trying to flog Alonso all round Europe the season before so he could sign Gareth "f**king" Barry had no part in Alonso deciding to leave then mate?

I don't think Alonso was too chuffed when he was dropped for Damien Plessis either :D

Yeah I think Xabi was not too impressed with Barry about to be signed resigning him to the bench or as you say touted off to the highest bidder.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8622 
      Reply #17: Sep 25, 2015 10:44:05 pm

Wasn't that because Alonso had asked to leave a year earlier, which was why he was trying to flog him, remember Juve and Arsenal trying to bid £12 million for him.

Shows the difference in how professional Xabi is compared to a couple of others, that he used the income tax increase as a reason for leaving and has never came out and truly said why he left.

Erm not when the biggest club in the world come calling and you happen to be Spanish. Plus we had to sell to keep on servicing H & G's debt.

Think Xabi's transfer fee covered that!!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #18: Sep 25, 2015 10:46:54 pm
      Yeah I think Xabi was not too impressed with Barry about to be signed resigning him to the bench.

I don't think it was the worry of being benched that worried Alonso, it was being offered in p/x for Eto, being offered to Arsenal and thenhaggling over the fee etc etc that annoyed him.

The tax changes and changes in currency (the euro became very strong) obviously didn't help either. 
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #19: Sep 25, 2015 11:05:36 pm
      Wasn't that because Alonso had asked to leave a year earlier, which was why he was trying to flog him, remember Juve and Arsenal trying to bid £12 million for him.

Shows the difference in how professional Xabi is compared to a couple of others, that he used the income tax increase as a reason for leaving and has never came out and truly said why he left.

Erm not when the biggest club in the world come calling and you happen to be Spanish. Plus we had to sell to keep on servicing H & G's debt.

Think Xabi's transfer fee covered that!!

No mate. Alonso signed a 5 year contract in 2007. Rafa a year later offered Alonso in p/x for Eto'o, then Arsenal and Juventus (2008) came in the season before Xabi was sold (in 2009), but you are right about the price. Juventus eventually signed Poulsen instead(2008).

Don't really get the "had to sell" bit mate.... we spent the Alonso money on Aquilani and Johnson.

I think it was more to do with Alonso having such a bad season with injuries and loss of form more than anything. Then in his final season he came back to form, had a point to prove and a need to play well to get a good club.... and he did.
      « Last Edit: Sep 25, 2015 11:24:25 pm by s@int »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #20: Sep 25, 2015 11:13:28 pm
      Gareth Barry for all the finger pointing at Rafa, he was only trying to Keep Gerrard happy by bidding at the bequest of Gerrard for his friend and England International roomy...

Notice Gerrard left that little nugget out of his book, when speaking about Alonso leaving.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #21: Sep 25, 2015 11:17:10 pm
      Gareth Barry for all the finger pointing at Rafa, he was only trying to Keep Gerrard happy by bidding at the bequest of Gerrard for his friend and England International roomy...

Notice Gerrard left that little nugget out of his book, when speaking about Alonso leaving.

Wasn't the first time Gerrard got played like a fiddle, Lampard did the same "best England buddy" routine when Mourinho wanted Gerrard at Chelsea.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #22: Sep 25, 2015 11:30:13 pm

Wasn't the first time Gerrard got played like a fiddle, Lampard did the same "best England buddy" routine when Mourinho wanted Gerrard at Chelsea.

Remember it being in the news at time that Gerrard had recommended Barry to Rafa, that was the first time we went in for him, not the summer prior to Alonso leaving, remember at the time thinking it was like Michael Owen recommending Danny Murphy to Houllier.

Quick Reply