Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Realistically what can we expect from the new manager this season?

Read 12320 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,890 posts | 6822 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Realistically what can we expect from the new manager this season?
      Reply #115: Oct 13, 2015 12:21:30 am
      I'd just like to see us start with a diffent game plan versus The Spuds and see how the team reacts to it.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,012 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #116: Oct 13, 2015 03:15:03 am
      I expect to see an improvement on the attitude of the team, and I think we'll see that next game against the Spurs and that alone will make the team play better. 

This guy will be a breath of fresh air and I've seen that at work when a new boss arrives, someone that everyone likes, people start working a lot better, even with no other changes.

I can see us fighting for four spot this year and having a good run in the cups, especially in Europe and why not winning one of the cups.

Even though we're not that far behind from the top and we have a decent squad I don't see I'd winning the league this year.

But who knows, maybe we'll see a major improvement, look at how our moods have improved since he arrived, pretty sure the players feel the same, this guy is one of the top managers around the world.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #117: Oct 13, 2015 04:26:38 am
      For me, this season is more about seeing us move towards a style of football that we can use going forward to get results. I'm not really setting any expectations because I have no idea what to expect in terms of how long it will take for the players to adjust to Kloppo's methods. If things go well I could genuinely see us winning the league considering the fact that City's best players are consistently injured, United and Arsenal aren't great, and Chelsea are in meltdown. If we get through the next five games and pick up ten points (which we're more than capable of), the title could be on.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #118: Oct 13, 2015 04:29:59 am
      Why not Skip?

Don't we always have high expectations at this club?

I think there is a difference between what our ambitions are and what our expectations are. We should always have high ambitions, but our expectations change depending on the circumstances.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #119: Oct 13, 2015 05:08:32 am
      I have a similar feeling as when Rafa came in. We'd lost our way a bit under GH (the heart attack did for him but he gave us some great memories and improved the club; particularly the youth set up). It's a similar scenario as with BR. I remember we started to look like a team with an identity under Rafa; we looked strong. I think that will happen this time around. Klopp knows what he wants and he has done it before. I think this is the most important thing. He is the star of the team now. Not any player. And he is hardworking and honest in his dealings. So it can only get better.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #120: Oct 13, 2015 08:49:05 am
      Realistically the same we expected from BR, top 4 & a trophy.

I thought once the squad settled in this season the footi would improve and the results would improve, I can see that happening with Klopp maybe quicker, cos we had obv. stagnated with Brendan. And he had lost the fans.

Now with the boost of Klopp, t he fans will be buzzin which will transfer onto the pitch.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,243 posts | 851 
      Reply #121: Oct 13, 2015 10:18:22 am
      I'm hoping for a good run in Europe as I think it may take even Klopp a while to become accustomed to the Premier League. Like Rafa I  think Klopp will have no such problems in Europe and may even take us further than we expect, and with the reward of a CL place as a bonus to bringing home some silverware I would be more than happy with that.

I think we will finish 5th or 6th in the league but hopefully have a good run somewhere along the line and possibly even a run in one of the domestic cups.

I think it will be next season before the Klopp revolution really starts to take hold but if he can bring enthusiasm and confidence back to both the team and the fans this season he will be earning his corn.

5th, a cup and some good football along the way will do for me this season.

This 100%

but I'm selfish I want a trophy.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,243 posts | 851 
      Reply #122: Oct 13, 2015 10:21:12 am
      No individual player can press effectively, Look at Milner because he goes and tries to press indidividually he ends up looking like a headless chicken.

To press effectively the whole team need to be in synch hence if Klopp is going to go down this route it will take a long time getting Players like Skyrtel compressing the space in front of him.

But there again I hope Players like Skrtel and Migs are the first ones to face the Klopp......   :D

Good post mate,

To press effectively you also need to tackle well, you need to know when to win the ball back (Gerrard was fantastic at this). I have a feeling players like Lovren, Henderson, Coutinho & Ings will thrive in this kind of playing style
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #123: Oct 14, 2015 11:41:15 am
      There had been a bit of talk on here about some of us having too high expectations and that we should dampen down what we think is possible this season so I had a look back to what I put in the other 'expectations' thread before the season.

I voted 2-4th and in my head I had higher than 4th. Even with doubts around Brendan I believed that we should be finishing in the top four at the very least.

It was also by a distance the largest % vote on the poll so it appeared many felt similar.

Its why I have such high expectations now that Jürgen is here. He is such an upgrade on coaching that I'm actually amazed so many seem to have lessened their expectations and playing down what we should expect.

Even ardent followed of Klopp seem reluctant to even place a demand for top four on him this season which if I'm honest I fond strange to a point.

There was a clamour from us to get rid of Brendan because we believed he was making a pigs ear if using the players we have but now we can't place those expectations on Klopp with over three quarters of the season still to go?

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #124: Oct 14, 2015 12:26:12 pm
      Its why I have such high expectations now that Jürgen is here. He is such an upgrade on coaching that I'm actually amazed so many seem to have lessened their expectations and playing down what we should expect.

Even ardent followed of Klopp seem reluctant to even place a demand for top four on him this season which if I'm honest I fond strange to a point.

There was a clamour from us to get rid of Brendan because we believed he was making a pigs ear if using the players we have but now we can't place those expectations on Klopp with over three quarters of the season still to go?

Yes but the two expectations are completely different. Brendan was in his 4th year, he'd spent mega money and he'd had time with his squad.

Klopp is his first season, no pre-season, bought nobody he sees as vital. It's unfair to judge them on a level playing field like that because in reality it isn't, it's basically giving Klopp no time to discover who he wants and where he wants them it's simply perform now or you're failing which is completely wrong on so many levels mate.

He could finish 10th this season and I would lose no belief whatsoever in the man. As you know I was one of the ones shouting loudest for Klopp to arrive and it's the confidence in him that allows me to have such low expectations this season. I am that confident that he will perform given time that I don't need or see the need to burden him with expectations of short term gain. For me everything he achieves this season will be a bonus and from there on forward the expectations will just continue to rise. I would think this view is only logical.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #125: Oct 14, 2015 12:36:30 pm
      There had been a bit of talk on here about some of us having too high expectations and that we should dampen down what we think is possible this season so I had a look back to what I put in the other 'expectations' thread before the season.

I voted 2-4th and in my head I had higher than 4th. Even with doubts around Brendan I believed that we should be finishing in the top four at the very least.

It was also by a distance the largest % vote on the poll so it appeared many felt similar.

It comes down to how quickly he gets his message across, how quickly the players buy into it and learn it and finally how he can adapt his preferred systems to the prem.
      For me, all of these are vital to any kind of short term success.

That aside, I usually say "I'll wait and see" and I don't really see a reason to change that.

On the other hand there is hope rather than expectation, and in the case of hoping for something good like a trophy and top 4 I think we have the players and now the coach to do very well, but I'm not expecting it from them.

Ask me before the start of the next season, and I will probably answer differently, but for now I'm not really expecting anything other than Klopp making his mark and improving the team/squad.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #126: Oct 14, 2015 12:37:00 pm
      I think we will finish fifth or sixth this season. I think we are probably even slightly weaker this season than last season. Obviously there is still time for us to strengthen and maybe we will put the Sterling money to good use. Other than that, a lot may depend on how soon and how well Sturridge returns.

I do fancy us for a cup as I think the other top clubs will be fighting for a closely contested league and give us an opportunity in one of the cups.

I think Brendan must be trying to emulate Arsenal with 101 attacking midfielders but precious few that can win a midfield battle.

I just hope I am wrong, but apart from Sturridge's return I see precious few bright spots although I think Milner will prove to be a good signing.

I didn't believe we had the quality in the squad under Brendan and while I think Klopp will make much better use of the players we do have, I still don't believe we have enough quality in the squad to challenge for the title.

A lot for me will still depend on keeping Sturridge fit. When I said our team was weaker this season than last it was with the assumption that Sterling would go but before we bought Benteke. I think our squad is now probably a little better than last season as we do at least have 3 strikers who might score a few goals.

The biggest difference for me is that I expect Klopp to make big improvements in our defence and transition almost from the start, but I still believe we will struggle to get the goals necessary for any sort of title challenge even with Sturridge.

I would love to be wrong, I would love Klopp to come in wave his magic wand and all our problems will be behind us, but unless we bring in some quality players at Christmas I just don't see it.

Certainly nothing wrong with being optimistic, but a bit of realism occasionally doesn't go amiss either. 

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,722 posts | 7164 
      Reply #127: Oct 14, 2015 12:41:13 pm
      Isn't it about time these players really showed what they are made of. Regardless of the money they earn they must have some pride in themselves and in the shirt I havent really seen that for some time. Can take defeat but only when the lads have given everything and i think Klopp will demand total effort from them so we should see who is ready for the fight.
      I think we need to look to the new year before we can see how this is going to go.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #128: Oct 14, 2015 12:43:06 pm
      He could finish 10th this season and I would lose no belief whatsoever in the man.

Neither would I mate.

But I have in my head what this squad is capable of so that is why I expect what I do for this season.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,722 posts | 7164 
      Reply #129: Oct 14, 2015 01:08:02 pm
      Cant wait for the Spurs game to see how he lines his team up.just on Sky now with Sturridge on the left and Milner possibly on the right and one deep lying defnesice ball playing midfielder.
      It just feels right at the moment and new managers usually get a bounce for a while so Sat would be a great way to start of with a win.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #130: Oct 14, 2015 02:35:34 pm

I agree Si.  I seem to remember a few of us being excited with the players brought in and expecting us to be going back to the pressing machine we were in 13/14.  A high press with Hendo, Milner, Firmino and even Ings playing in and around Studge, better defenders to stop us leaking goals but it just didn't happen once we got playing.

These players are perfect for Jürgen, yet people are now wanting to play down their expectations.  Yes Luke it's not his team but he's still got a damn good base to start from and we've now got a world class manager to get the best out of them.

Hands up how many expected us to beat the mancs in Kennys first game back?  I don't remember anyone dampening expectations that day and he hadn't even had a training session with the players.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #131: Oct 14, 2015 02:48:04 pm
      As Jürgen stated himself, it will start with defence and build on that, I think we'll do well even taking into consideration he hasn't had training time in the summer and not all of the players will be his first choice. I think he was honest when he said he came here because we already have a good squad.
      I think we could win a cup or even surprise us all with something we never expected, only a few weeks ago.
      I'm still taking this in a bit, I don't expect much, just a gradual plan and sense of tactical intelligence from the players will do.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #132: Oct 14, 2015 11:11:04 pm
      Yes but the two expectations are completely different. Brendan was in his 4th year, he'd spent mega money and he'd had time with his squad.

Klopp is his first season, no pre-season, bought nobody he sees as vital. It's unfair to judge them on a level playing field like that because in reality it isn't, it's basically giving Klopp no time to discover who he wants and where he wants them it's simply perform now or you're failing which is completely wrong on so many levels mate.

we haven't played a game yet so its fun to guess or jokingly comment on our future. We could take the league by storm now or more likely we will be hit and miss for a few months and pick up consistency in the new year. Nobody really knows but we can have fun finding out.

The reason some people think he will need time mate is because some of us think that the players that Brendan and the TC brought in don't happen to be that good, and even a magician like Klopp needs time to turn lead into gold.

You think we have a strong squad and good players, others including myself believe we have a very unbalanced squad and a lot of average players with a very light sprinkling of quality players (sounds like making a cake :) )

No one will be more delighted than me if Klopp can turn them into world beaters but personally I think he will need to supplement the little quality we have in the transfer market before we start filling the trophy cabinet.

We have spent £300million on players ....we should have a squad that is capable of challenging and winning things, I just don't see it.

« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2015 11:22:25 pm by eurored »
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #133: Oct 15, 2015 06:18:56 am
      for some reason many of us are now thinking like Sky Sports watchers, we have to buy the title, we spent X so should be challenging, almost as though spending X entitles you to finishing Y. we all know none of this is how football really works. i really really hope everyone just stops talking about money now that we have Klopp. let him buy players and let's judge them on how they play, not how much they cost vs their output.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #134: Oct 15, 2015 03:26:41 pm
      for some reason many of us are now thinking like Sky Sports watchers, we have to buy the title, we spent X so should be challenging, almost as though spending X entitles you to finishing Y. we all know none of this is how football really works. i really really hope everyone just stops talking about money now that we have Klopp. let him buy players and let's judge them on how they play, not how much they cost vs their output.

It's the opposite of what you're saying really, I think if anyone can spot talent at a bargain price it's going to be Klopp, but in order to not be a selling club, wages will have to match what others will offer as time goes by.

Quick Reply