Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Realistically what can we expect from the new manager this season?

Read 12261 times
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Re: Realistically what can we expect from the new manager this season?
      Reply #69: Oct 08, 2015 03:30:38 pm
      the only style of play I enjoy is the one where we win the game. I hope he gets a great start
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #70: Oct 08, 2015 04:51:56 pm
      But cards on the table mate, I think a title challenge isn't out of the question.

It isn't out of the equation (BBB please note)

.... and Debs.

Its getting back into a habit where our expectations have a possibility of actually being realised.

"Someone" said at the end of the season that we would be challenging for the title next season. That  actually could come true..... but not with the "someone".

I am just so relieved that after years of fighting on this forum for what we believe in ... (H and G included) we have reached a point in time where we are again together going forward.

Expectations will rise with performances and results

YNWA

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #71: Oct 08, 2015 04:52:26 pm
      He can start with an apology for World War II, dammit! :laugh:
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #72: Oct 08, 2015 04:56:27 pm
      I expect him to attempt to win the league. Nothing more, nothing less. That's the job he's been brought in for and willingly accepted so any pressure associated with that is pressure he has to accept. Whether or not we'll win the league or whether or not we're good enough to win the league is neither here nor there. It's like the great man once said, "reach for the stars and touch the ceiling". It's what I expect from every Liverpool manager.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,285 posts | 935 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #73: Oct 10, 2015 09:22:39 am
      I think we have to be patient, as long as he starts shoreing up the defence, a few good cup runs and pressing for fourth position, and making Anfield a hard place to come then next season who knows
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,974 posts | 5034 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #74: Oct 10, 2015 10:43:39 am
      Realistically what can we expect from the new manager this season?

Fun
      Hope
      Belief
      Excitement
      Atmosphere
      German Efficiency

See what you did there pups with the colouring, very clever, totally agree mate,however I got a feeling he's gonna surprise us all,

We're not to far off top 4 positions so Im thinking his galvanisation will bolster confidence and reignite the players belief,

Top 4 for me and a cup run or two especially in Europa,

YNWA
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,710 posts | 896 
      Reply #75: Oct 10, 2015 07:21:13 pm
      I don't expect a top four finish, all I want from this season is that we start to see a bit passion from the lads and glimps of a team that is going from BR style of playing to kloppo's vision.

He will need time to settle, know his players and what position they are best in. Let's face it, under BR our players were all over the pitch. Not sure even they know their own positions anymore.

I have always believed and said the whomever want to listen is that the trick is to get a great manager and give him time.

No team can dominate the league anymore, too much money in the picture now. And realistically I want a team that at least finish in top four every season and fight for the title. That's what I want 4 to 5 years down the road.

Until then building up a strong squad, with good players in every position and at least two world class players in the first team and off course ship out players we don't need.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #76: Oct 10, 2015 07:55:26 pm
      Really?! You do rate the players we bought very highly then. I personally think that is way above where our expectations should be for this year. I think City and Arsenal are both much stronger than we are right now and I don't realistically expect us to get in the top 2.

There's going to be a transitional period through both change of tactic and personnel, I think top 4 this season would be a decent standard to set, if he can achieve that then I would be impressed. I'm more than willing to give him this season as a settling in period, assess his players, identify the main weaknesses and address them in the next two windows (winter and summer).

Next year is when expectations should rise signficantly, I think a top 4 finish would be bare minimum and a decent run in a major cup competition, a title challenge certainly not beyond the realms of possibility. The year after that I would expect to be challenging for the title, I know it asks for patience again but the thread also asks for realism and no matter what manager you are you can't be expect to just transform things over night. That's not saying he can't get much more out of these lads than Brendan, of course I believe he can but I also understand that coaching and implementing a style has teething problems and a period of adjustment. Doing that without a pre-season will be a difficult task and hence why I believe people should temper their expectations for this year.

This is pretty close to my belief too Luke. I think we have a squad that is reasonably strong but lacks the top quality to match our top 4 rivals and also lacks balance and options.

I do expect performances to pick up quite quickly, but results I think may be mixed rather than consistent as the players adapt to new tactics formations and demands.

Maybe Christmas will make a difference if we could bring in one or two quality players, but I think it will be next season before things really kick on.

I think a cup would be brilliant this season but we may have to be a little more patient in the league.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #77: Oct 10, 2015 07:59:41 pm

I think a cup would be brilliant this season but we may have to be a little more patient in the league.

Nah F**k that mate
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFDcoX7s6rE
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #78: Oct 10, 2015 08:45:47 pm
      Call me crazy but 5 points off the top...we could have a tilt at the title if he hits the ground running.

Don't let that margin grow between us and the team at the top until January and we could run 'em down with a signing or two.

But i think top four and a run in the EL would do me just fine.

Not crazy at all. 6 off top despite having no run of form. No solid team in the league so Defo not crazy. However we must expect blips along the way in the first few months. He has to pick the same players. Some will grow under him some will offer no more then they did under Brendan.

We need a trophy though. Most probably won't agree but I'd love to see us go flat out to win the uefa cup
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #79: Oct 10, 2015 08:53:32 pm
      This is pretty close to my belief too Luke. I think we have a squad that is reasonably strong but lacks the top quality to match our top 4 rivals and also lacks balance and options.

I do expect performances to pick up quite quickly, but results I think may be mixed rather than consistent as the players adapt to new tactics formations and demands.

Maybe Christmas will make a difference if we could bring in one or two quality players, but I think it will be next season before things really kick on.

Yep if we manage to win a cup and even get close to top 4 this season I want people more than believing, it'll be a great performance.

I want to see progress with the defence, to see our organisation in both marking and decision making improving. I also expect players to come in that directly improve our biggest weaknesses rather than buying players to loan out and strides made towards making ground on those around us.

I fully expect Migs to be the first player out the door, I can't see any scenario where he survives this, the same with Skrtel. Just that will transform us, so I'm willing to wait until we see who comes in there before any judgements are made from me whatsoever.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      Reply #80: Oct 10, 2015 09:02:09 pm
      Yep if we manage to win a cup and even get close to top 4 this season I want people more than believing, it'll be a great performance.

I want to see progress with the defence, to see our organisation in both marking and decision making improving. I also expect players to come in that directly improve our biggest weaknesses rather than buying players to loan out and strides made towards making ground on those around us.

I fully expect Migs to be the first player out the door, I can't see any scenario where he survives this, the same with Skrtel. Just that will transform us, so I'm willing to wait until we see who comes in there before any judgements are made from me whatsoever.

Interesting to read your comment on Migs. Why can you not see him surviving? Can you see no hope that the new boss can improve his weak areas?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #81: Oct 10, 2015 09:07:36 pm
      Interesting to read your comment on Migs. Why can you not see him surviving? Can you see no hope that the new boss can improve his weak areas?

None whatsoever Bri.

I think his slow nature in distribution is completely at odds with what Klopp wants, the ball needs to be constantly in play. If the opposition has time to rest then you're not at full throttle. If they have 5 mins to rest each time the ball goes back to the keeper then Klopp might just go in nets himself.

As for his keeping ability I don't think they're anywhere near as even his biggest fans suggest. He saves shots he is expected to and makes them look more difficult. Occasionally he does pull out a world class save but they're very few and extremely far between. The confidence he gives to the defence is also a major issue, has been forever and I see no reason why that will change through coaching he just quite simply shits himself when any pressure is applied.

Add that to the false confidence he has when he talks and I think Klopp will see straight through it and it will be the quickest decision in the squad.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      Reply #82: Oct 10, 2015 09:16:37 pm
      None whatsoever Bri.

I think his slow nature in distribution is completely at odds with what Klopp wants, the ball needs to be constantly in play. If the opposition has time to rest then you're not at full throttle. If they have 5 mins to rest each time the ball goes back to the keeper then Klopp might just go in nets himself.

As for his keeping ability I don't think they're anywhere near as even his biggest fans suggest. He saves shots he is expected to and makes them look more difficult. Occasionally he does pull out a world class save but they're very few and extremely far between. The confidence he gives to the defence is also a major issue, has been forever and I see no reason why that will change through coaching he just quite simply shits himself when any pressure is applied.

Add that to the false confidence he has when he talks and I think Klopp will see straight through it and it will be the quickest decision in the squad.

Fair enough. And what about replacements? Who would be realistically available in January?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #83: Oct 10, 2015 09:19:37 pm
      Fair enough. And what about replacements? Who would be realistically available in January?

Step too far for me that mate, not a clue. As Wahs said in the transfer thread we've been linked with the lad from Mainz but I've absolutely no clue if he's good or not so I can't help with that one mate.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #84: Oct 10, 2015 09:20:34 pm
      I'm prepared to give every single player a complete clean sheet now Jürgen is here, from now on I'm going to pretend I've never seen any of them play before. We are going to need a lot of them to completely transform their form in a red shirt, so I'm willing to bet that quite a few of them will leave previous form well behind.

The way I see it it's pointless saying "such and such won't fit in with the new manager" as we don't know yet how he's going to play. There's a very big chance IMHO that how he will EVENTUALLY play and how he will IMMEDIATELY play maybe very different. I sincerely hope so, one of Brendans biggest faults IMHO was trying to impose a style upon players who patently obviously weren't suited to it. Top managers make a good team out of what they're left with, THEN try and improve it and tinker with the style as time goes on.

Mignolet as a shot stopper who isn't asked to play it out from the back may well end up being fine, particularly if he gets to play behind a defence which doesn't leak chances like a sieve. The same may well apply to Sakho (who is our best centre back in any case IMHO), Moreno may become a star and a real attacking weapon etc. Lots of players who some of us have completely written off may well shine under the new boss, I think it's only fair to give them a proper go under the new manager before we give up on them. I'm not being funny, so inspired am I personally by Jürgen Klopp I'd be prepared to turn out in a sweeper roll and smash through brick walls for him myself, so God only knows what effect he'll have on people who can actually run.   
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      Reply #85: Oct 10, 2015 09:22:11 pm
      Step too far for me that mate, not a clue. As Wahs said in the transfer thread we've been linked with the lad from Mainz but I've absolutely no clue if he's good or not so I can't help with that one mate.

Yeah just seen wahs post on the keeper. Don't know anything about him but certainly interesting to have a keeper linked
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #86: Oct 11, 2015 09:23:49 am
      It isn't out of the equation (BBB please note)
      Why should I "please note"?  :laugh:

What, in the name of sweet jaysus, are you on about now Skip? Seriously buddy; I'm not sure you know what you're writing half the time and if you don't then how can I?

Just to recap mate - it was you (not me) that said you had "NO expectation" and it was me (not you) who said that I expect that we can win the league under Klopp.

However, if you are now saying that (far from having "NO expectation") you, like me, expect Jürgen Klopp to make us champions... I welcome your change of heart - so s'all good.  8)

Like I said: my expectations have been heightened with his arrival not dumbed down.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #87: Oct 11, 2015 09:52:23 am
      Like I said: my expectations have been heightened with his arrival not dumbed down.

Indeed.

It is strange that the clamour to get rid of Brendan, I include myself in this by the way, because he wasn't doing what we except with this squad has now been replaced, by some, of talk of giving time and its going to be difficult.

I don't quite buy that because, as I think you might have said before Mouse, if 'we' think this squad is only capable of 5th then why put so much pressure on Brendan?

I wanted him gone because I believe, rightly or wrongly, that this squad of players can challenge for not only top four but to win silver ware and Brendan wasn't going to deliver.

I'm not going to want Jürgen fired if we miss our but I do expect success very quickly.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #88: Oct 11, 2015 10:56:13 am
      A decent run in the Europa League, a Sustained attempt to get a top four finish, A better performance on the pitch,Less defensive errors, one or two solid players in the Jan' window, A better buzz around Anfield
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #89: Oct 11, 2015 12:57:00 pm
      Why should I "please note"?  :laugh:

What, in the name of sweet jaysus, are you on about now Skip? Seriously buddy; I'm not sure you know what you're writing half the time and if you don't then how can I?

Just to recap mate - it was you (not me) that said you had "NO expectation" and it was me (not you) who said that I expect that we can win the league under Klopp.

However, if you are now saying that (far from having "NO expectation") you, like me, expect Jürgen Klopp to make us champions... I welcome your change of heart - so s'all good.  8)

The weight and the frenzy of expectations is not what is needed.

As I said.

Those expectations will come with results.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #90: Oct 11, 2015 01:11:27 pm
      The weight and the frenzy of expectations is not what is needed.

Why not Skip?

Don't we always have high expectations at this club?

ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #91: Oct 11, 2015 01:17:54 pm
      My expectation is more fun and laughter when I see the gaffer. At least he has taken away my temporal bitterness about the Liverpool manager.

Quick Reply