Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1536863 times
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #8119: May 25, 2016 10:05:53 am
      Could be wrong but get the feeling that the majority of the players identified by Jürgen won't be put off coming by us not being in the CL. And by the look of it, he's going to do the business as quickly as possible.

Hope that's right mate.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #8120: May 25, 2016 10:23:06 am
      We cant have it both ways and then using hindsight to criticize the manager.
      When JK joined, we were all saying this squad is crap and needed an overhaul...instead he gave them a chance to prove themselves and some players took up the challenge and became better than some of us expected.
      The same players then went on a mini-run of playing some very good football, not seen in over 6-8 months, before either injuries or complacency brought back the old inconsistency.
      Then JK still managed to get this group of players to 2 Cup finals, with some memorable matches inbetween.

So i look at it as if he was an interim manager coz if i were to judge him on the past 7 months, i think what he has done is actually exceptional. Given that the team was playing dreadful football at the end of last season, given the fact that we had a host of terrible injuries to contend with and lastly that this was a foreign coach in a very tough league....the turnaround has been remarkable.

JK has managed to get the supporters behind the club again, get Anfield rocking again, give some players belief back, given a few youth players a good opportunity to express themselves and actually inject some positivity into LFC again. This is a pass in my report card for sure.

Make no mistake, he made some questionable decisions at times and overall our league position could have been better...however think about it, when u bring somebody in to steady a sinking ship, you arent expecting him to patch it up and sail around the world. Therefor i cant harshly criticize him coz its clear that there has been progress made even with the resources available to him.

I say, question him, but dont condemn his first 7 months as a failure.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #8121: May 25, 2016 10:26:42 am
      There aren't really any around though mate are there? Daft c**** down here tell me that Lampard was better (he wasn't obviously but he was a very good player) and at least he was cut from a similar cloth. These days though who is there that scores heavily from midfield? Not only would they need to score and assist heavily, they'd have to be capable of hitting it from distance to such effect that it causes you to formulate plans to counter him. Gerrard in his pomp dictated to teams that they simply had to come out and meet him when he got the ball 30 yards out otherwise he'd strike at goal. This alone opened the door for many an assist or goal for someone else.

Football goes in trends, in fashion waves. It always has and always will. Modern midfielders sit in and hold, but that's because IMHO there aren't any around that can do what Gerrard could. If Gerrard were available today, he would be coveted by every single club in Europe, not unlike when he was around before infact. For that reason alone, there s no way on earth Jürgen could buy him, simply because we would've outbid to a factor of three on both fee and wages.

Would he want him though? Of course he would.

EDIT: I've thought of one. When he's not injured Aaron Ramsey tries to do a Gerrard and he's bloody good at it. Probably about 20% as good as the original which isn't a bad effort. Yaya Toure of four seasons ago probably got as high as 50% of Gerrard in his pomp. Can't think of any others right now.

We miss Suarez, and then think back to Gerrard too.

F**k me, not one of our current midfielders are even fit enough to lace Stevie's boots.  :f_wah:

Don't think there will be many in the future either, but if we had a midfielder anywhere close to be mentioned in the same breath we'd be alright.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8122: May 25, 2016 10:33:01 am
      If there's one big money signing it's likely to be Dahoud who is going to cost in excess of £30m to get him.  He won't necessarily be on big wages as he's still only 20 but we could easily treble what he's on but if he comes he will go straight into the starting 11 as he's exactly what we need in midfield.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1670 
      • YNWA
      Reply #8123: May 25, 2016 10:41:23 am

Just to pad that out a bit, main reason I say that is that I think most of his targets could be relative unknowns (to us, like Karius), players at the early stages of their careers at the top level, where moving broadens experience, the challenge of bigger club, working with a top manager etc.   Where the CL is not something they are used to yet, but have ambitions there.

I'm not sure if the Gotze move has anything to do with the failure to get to the CL. Reckon the change of manager at Munich would be the main factor there - he now feels he has a chance/future at a side challenging for trophies every year. In Germany.
      But I'd imagine for more experienced players, established at big clubs and possibly already playing/played in the CL, not being in the CL would be a negative.
      In saying that, not sure how many of those players Klopp plans to sign. Personally I'd like to see one (or two) experienced, top quality players (I'm not talking 32mill for a Benteke, rather REAL quality) sign, but I'm not sure who's on the our radar in that bracket right now...
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,029 posts | 3960 
      Reply #8124: May 25, 2016 10:49:02 am
      We miss Suarez, and then think back to Gerrard too.

F**k me, not one of our current midfielders are even fit enough to lace Stevie's boots.  :f_wah:

Don't think there will be many in the future either, but if we had a midfielder anywhere close to be mentioned in the same breath we'd be alright.

Quality was replaced with potential and squad players every time.
      We are reaping the rewards of prioritising finance ahead of acquiring proven winners.

Gerrard, Suarez, Sterling, skills lost while the powers that be on every occasion refused to pay the price for game winners.

Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,203 posts | 838 
      Reply #8125: May 25, 2016 11:19:41 am
      he texted Mourinho to say he was joing him then changed his mind - and that was playing in midfield.

He's not a pass-and-move player in the mould that Klopp uses. he prefers holding onto the ball and hitting long passes - yes he COULD play in a different way if he wanted but its not his natural game.

He played in the DLPM role because he was forced to - his discipline improved as he didn'r have the physical attributes any more but he wasn't "brilliant" - his mobility meant we were weak through the middle.

Just because a player is talented doesn't mean he will fit in a system. Mourinho wanting him is completely irrelevant since he plays an entirely different type of game!

Anyway - it's speculation - and had Klopp come in it would have been with an ageing Stevie anyway - i nmy opnion he would have got the chop relatively early. Certainly, he would have had trouble surviving triple session training regimes.

I disagree HB,

I'm with Luke on this. One of Klopp's game plan is to press the ball, close down spaces and putting a tackle in, which are some of Gerrard's strength back in his prime.

Here are a few examples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrvGNsJ2xS0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTtSiztFY9o

Klopp would love a player like him in his team, I think any manager would because of his qualities, but he would fit perfectly in Klopp's formation because he was a beast, physically and technically.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #8126: May 25, 2016 11:23:47 am
      It's definitely something to consider that we're signing players who aren't expensive, but that in itself isn't anything to get too excited about if they aren't actually any good.

Definitely.

What is interesting is that we are paying little, or in some cases free, for players that many of us expect to actually be first team players.  In recent years we've paid £8M, £15M, £6M etc on players that haven't got near our first team and have usually been loaned out by the time September arrives.

Like you, my only concern is players being good enough - the value aspect is a bonus for the money men. 
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8127: May 25, 2016 11:41:27 am
      I'm all good with Jürgen finding value, he's proven in the past he's brilliant at it. My hope is though that alongside and in conjunction with this rummaging through the bargain bin, when he DOES turn around (and he will have to IMHO at some point) and say "I want such and such and he'll cost 40 million quid plus 220K per week", the owners back him. I'm just not sure they will.

To be fair to them they apparently put forward a package that would equal or better anything that Gotze would receive. I said Jürgen would come in and try to do his business this way, mostly players we've not looked at and for cheaper prices but the occasional big bucks transfer. It appears Gotze was the big bucks transfer for this window and we haven't been able to pull it off.

People may wish to throw that in Jürgen's face with the "oh yeah great pulling power", I've no idea of the reasons behind the rejection and reason to stay so I wont speculate but the rest of the window is going exactly as I expected.

Definitely.

What is interesting is that we are paying little, or in some cases free, for players that many of us expect to actually be first team players.  In recent years we've paid £8M, £15M, £6M etc on players that haven't got near our first team and have usually been loaned out by the time September arrives.

Like you, my only concern is players being good enough - the value aspect is a bonus for the money men. 

Exactly mate, the whole point of transfers is to improve the first team, we believe that both Karius and Matip are certain to start and that's for a combined cost of £4.7m. 2nd best keeper in Germany and one of the very best CBs too. I've absolutely no problem spending buttons on players that improve our first team and therefore enhance the squad significantly, in fact it's excellent in both a business and footballing sense.

For me Jürgen is doing what Jürgen does and that's why I thought he'd be the perfect fit for these owners and with them willing to put together the Gotze package then I'm encouraged that when it does come to that number 1 target we will go every inch of the way to get them. I'm very pleased personally and in no way is that down to expectations being lowered. My expectations moving forward will only increase, so I think that one is wide of the mark.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #8128: May 25, 2016 12:26:01 pm
      Vee Haf  a German spine developing   with our goalie and Can.

Anyones guess for a striker ?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8129: May 25, 2016 12:48:23 pm
      To be fair to them they apparently put forward a package that would equal or better anything that Gotze would receive. I said Jürgen would come in and try to do his business this way, mostly players we've not looked at and for cheaper prices but the occasional big bucks transfer. It appears Gotze was the big bucks transfer for this window and we haven't been able to pull it off.

People may wish to throw that in Jürgen's face with the "oh yeah great pulling power", I've no idea of the reasons behind the rejection and reason to stay so I wont speculate but the rest of the window is going exactly as I expected.

Exactly mate, the whole point of transfers is to improve the first team, we believe that both Karius and Matip are certain to start and that's for a combined cost of £4.7m. 2nd best keeper in Germany and one of the very best CBs too. I've absolutely no problem spending buttons on players that improve our first team and therefore enhance the squad significantly, in fact it's excellent in both a business and footballing sense.

For me Jürgen is doing what Jürgen does and that's why I thought he'd be the perfect fit for these owners and with them willing to put together the Gotze package then I'm encouraged that when it does come to that number 1 target we will go every inch of the way to get them. I'm very pleased personally and in no way is that down to expectations being lowered. My expectations moving forward will only increase, so I think that one is wide of the mark.

Our first 3 transfers last season under Brendan

Goalkeeper - Bogdan free
      Defender    - Gomez £6million
      midfield     -  Milner   - Free

Hopefully the only similarities are positional.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8130: May 25, 2016 12:57:07 pm

Goalkeeper - Bogdan free

You need to get yourself over to the summer transfer board mate.

We're looking at paying £30m plus for Dahood and been linked to a £45m move for Brahimi  ;D
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8131: May 25, 2016 12:59:48 pm
      You need to get yourself over to the summer transfer board mate.

We're looking at paying £30m plus for Dahood and been linked to a £45m move for Brahimi  ;D

Just been over there for a quick moan Debs :)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8132: May 25, 2016 01:06:23 pm
      Just been over there for a quick moan Debs :)

Excellent mate!  Thought the mood needed lightening up a bit  :gt-happyup:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8133: May 25, 2016 01:08:24 pm

Goalkeeper - Bogdan free

I don't see them equating at all, not even close.

Bogdan: Signed from the championship as a backup wasn't even good enough for that position.
      Karius: 2nd best keeper in the bundesliga, signed to start.

Gomez: Signed again from the championship as one of the top prospects, apparently signed as backup (considering he started at LB more often than CB, where if he'd signed to start surely he goes straight in as CB).
      Matip: Signed from the bundesliga as one of the best prospects there, clearly signed to start.

Milner: Signed clearly to start from the bench at Man City.
      Dahoud: Signing from the first team of a CL team as one of the very top prospects in their league. (if indeed he signs)

You can choose to see the similarities if you wish and it may indeed only be a case of perspective but I see massive differences in not only the quality but the long term aims of those signings.

Seems like the Europa League final defeat has taken a lot of hope out of some people's sails, a shame, I hope they find it again soon enough.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,381 posts | 6404 
      Reply #8134: May 25, 2016 01:19:06 pm
      Vee Haf  a German spine developing   with our goalie and Can.

Anyones guess for a striker ?

Muller?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,589 posts | 7141 
      Reply #8135: May 25, 2016 01:21:40 pm
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8136: May 25, 2016 01:31:09 pm
      I don't see them equating at all, not even close.

Bogdan: Signed from the championship as a backup wasn't even good enough for that position.
      Karius: 2nd best keeper in the bundesliga, signed to start.

Gomez: Signed again from the championship as one of the top prospects, apparently signed as backup (considering he started at LB more often than CB, where if he'd signed to start surely he goes straight in as CB).
      Matip: Signed from the bundesliga as one of the best prospects there, clearly signed to start.

Milner: Signed clearly to start from the bench at Man City.
      Dahoud: Signing from the first team of a CL team as one of the very top prospects in their league. (if indeed he signs)

You can choose to see the similarities if you wish and it may indeed only be a case of perspective but I see massive differences in not only the quality but the long term aims of those signings.

Seems like the Europa League final defeat has taken a lot of hope out of some people's sails, a shame, I hope they find it again soon enough.

I was meaning players that have signed mate not players we are just rumoured to be interested in...  Grujic not Dahoud.

Brendan first 3 signings last season £6million

Jürgen first 3 signings this season £11million

:)
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8137: May 25, 2016 01:49:51 pm
      I was meaning players that have signed mate not players we are just rumoured to be interested in...  Grujic not Dahoud.

Brendan first 3 signings last season £6million

Jürgen first 3 signings this season £11million

:)

I guess that shows they don't equate too well then, nearly double! :D

I'm happy with the business we've done so far this year, I wasn't last season, I wasn't any season with Brendan in charge, not in the slightest. We were targeting players that didn't seem to have a plan built around them. Moving forward I believe there's a plan for each and everyone of these players coming in.

I believe they're players that the manager wants and as he said are ones that he has indeed had a final say about. All the indicators are there to suggest as much.

Karius
      Dahoud
      Gotze
      Matip

All players in the German league, Grujic apparently scouted by our new assistants. That's what we all wanted I thought, the manager to get the players that he wants. It appears that we're going out and trying to make that happen, sure it's failed in the case of Gotze but apparently not for the want of trying (this time it seems an awful lot more believable than the Ayre trips to the Ukraine).

Again while you may see similarities I see massive differences in what we're doing now, to what we've done in the past.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,381 posts | 6404 
      Reply #8138: May 25, 2016 02:03:26 pm

I'm happy with the business we've done so far this year, I wasn't last season, I wasn't any season with Brendan in charge, not in the slightest. We were targeting players that didn't seem to have a plan built around them. Moving forward I believe there's a plan for each and everyone of these players coming in.

I believe they're players that the manager wants and as he said are ones that he has indeed had a final say about. All the indicators are there to suggest as much.

Karius
      Dahoud
      Gotze
      Matip

All players in the German league, Grujic apparently scouted by our new assistants. That's what we all wanted I thought, the manager to get the players that he wants. It appears that we're going out and trying to make that happen, sure it's failed in the case of Gotze but apparently not for the want of trying (this time it seems an awful lot more believable than the Ayre trips to the Ukraine).

Again while you may see similarities I see massive differences in what we're doing now, to what we've done in the past.

Honestly done see a big difference in those you listed. Other than Karius....

Just replace the other three with Lallana, Lovren and Sanchez (he was a target remember).

There's obviously debates as to the quality of them vs who Jürgen is targeting but it's not like Jürgen is working out some clandestine plan. He's buying or targeting players that he thinks he needs, just like Brendan did.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8139: May 25, 2016 02:08:37 pm

Karius
      Dahoud
      Gotze
      Matip

I agree there seems more of a plan mate and like you I'm happy with who we've got and who we're targetting, as they're all areas of the pitch we've been weak in for a while and so far 2 out of the 3 that have arrived seem like starters and upgrades on who we've got. 

There's also no reason to think Grujic won't be either.  Despite the fact he's only 20 and coming from a much lower standard league he had a big say in his hometown Club winning the title for the first time in god knows how long.

Karius has plenty of top level experience again despite his age and Matip is 25, an International and has CL experience, he's not exactly a young, potential type signing.  He's played nearly 200 games in the Bundesliga, 50 in Europe and has 27 Caps for Cameroon.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8140: May 25, 2016 02:11:28 pm
      There's obviously debates as to the quality of them vs who Jürgen is targeting but it's not like Jürgen is working out some clandestine plan. He's buying or targeting players that he thinks he needs, just like Brendan did.

Who said anything about clandestine? It's obvious it's all there in black and white, nothing clandestine about it, if you think that in any way reflects what Brendan was doing then you've clearly not understood the one for me, one for you nature of our previous transfer business.

You've clearly not understood how when we had a defence that conceded an unbelievable amount of goals we'd go out and spunk the majority of our transfer budget on attacking midfielders and attackers. While we had Mignolet in goal we'd target a back up that couldn't be back up to a traffic cone.... again if you want to see the similarities go right ahead, for me the differences are extremely clear.

"Just like Brendan did" gave me a laugh this, cheers.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8141: May 25, 2016 02:12:12 pm
      I agree there seems more of a plan mate and like you I'm happy with who we've got and who we're targetting, as they're all areas of the pitch we've been weak in for a while and so far 2 out of the 3 that have arrived seem like starters and upgrades on who we've got. 

There's also no reason to think Grujic won't be either.  Despite the fact he's only 20 and coming from a much lower standard league he had a big say in his hometown Club winning the title for the first time in god knows how long.

Karius has plenty of top level experience again despite his age and Matip is 25, an International and has CL experience, he's not exactly a young, potential type signing.  He's played nearly 200 games in the Bundesliga, 50 in Europe and has 27 Caps for Cameroon.

Exactly.

Quick Reply