Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 10th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P17 W10 D3 L4

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1535991 times
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,698 posts | 3937 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #4577: Feb 11, 2016 08:30:12 am
      I'm at a loss for words to be honest.

I have no clue as to why we are worse than last season.

We all love Klopp, but something is seriously wrong:
      Kopite78
      Reply #4578: Feb 11, 2016 08:54:15 am

Injuries in key areas

Too many games

Unbalanced squad

Bedding in new ideas

Give it time mate, if things are as poor by Christmas I'd have concerns but we need to show patience and understanding.

I'd genuinely expect to see an upturn soon though now the injuries are coming back and the games are thinning out some
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #4579: Feb 11, 2016 11:57:42 am
      Not bollocks - opinions. 

Like yours, they are entitled to post them but sometimes members attack the poster rather than the content of the post, that's where bickering, abuse and the unnecessary bollocks becomes a problem for everybody.

As Mods, we like to treat everybody fairly, we encourage debate, we keep the forum clean and tidy and that entails reading every post, in every thread, on every board, correcting spelling, grammar and punctuation, deleting posts and sending PMs to those who overstep the mark. 

We do this even when we're trying to watch the game, so imagine how tiresome that is, missing most of it trying to Moderate and keep things civil.  It would be so, so easy to clamp down on every piece of dissent towards the players, the manager, the club, the fans, each other by just banning the lot of you, or locking topics but this isn't a dictatorship where free speech is frowned upon. 

Unless of course that's what you all want?

I think I speak for everyone when I say we are all grateful for the standard of modding on the site - it's certainly light years ahead of RAWK where I rarely post any more. It's an onerous and frustrating job which you all do very well.

In my opinion, the frustration can lie when you get a group who take against an individual's point of view - if the individual defends himself against each member it can seem that he is overly belligerent when most time is taken up with this whereas it takes up less time for each individual member of the attacking group so they can see more reasonable.

So one thing I will definitely be trying to do more is to leave things to the mods rather than engaging to defend myself and I would encourage others to do the same as I have found the actions of the mods quite reasonable at nipping things in the bud.

There are posters who have views that are different from the majority that are unduly targeted. That doesn't mean they are incorrect as the crowd are not always right. This site is a good example of encouraging diversity of opinion by resisting mob-rule and that is primarily due to the mods.

Back to the football...
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #4580: Feb 11, 2016 12:00:53 pm
      think I have heard him speak about this on more than one occasion and its clear he isn't happy.

Kevin Keegan wasn't happy - it's his job to do something about it rather than worry about his mood.

We should be well drilled on how to defend set pieces by now - it's a team of internationals and we are almost in mid February.
      Kopite78
      Reply #4581: Feb 11, 2016 12:07:25 pm
      Kevin Keegan wasn't happy - it's his job to do something about it rather than worry about his mood.

We should be well drilled on how to defend set pieces by now - it's a team of internationals and we are almost in mid February.

I'm sure they're working on it mate, and now the fixtures are thinning out a bit they will have more time and sessions to do so

However it's not a new thing, it's been going on for three years or so and it may well be a mental thing that needs breaking that an sole football issue.

You can see he is setting them up differently which in the least shows its being worked on

But we all know a lot of the game is in the mind and it may take longer to sort it out than a snap of the fingers
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,568 posts | 1802 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #4582: Feb 11, 2016 12:50:59 pm
      My opinion is the UEFA Cup is primarily about us winning it for the fourth time and the chance to win another Super Cup. The European Cup place is next on the list.

Is it just me?

this.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,568 posts | 1802 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #4583: Feb 11, 2016 12:55:51 pm
      Injuries in key areas

Too many games

Unbalanced squad

Bedding in new ideas

Give it time mate, if things are as poor by Christmas I'd have concerns but we need to show patience and understanding.

I'd genuinely expect to see an upturn soon though now the injuries are coming back and the games are thinning out some

How many times has the defence had to change this season due to injuries, nowt klopp can do about that. Just rotten luck.

And we have only had 1 fit striker for most of the season, who himself is still getting used to life at LFC, we started this season with 3 new strikers and 1 injured striker, that was always going to be tough.

Then key men like hendo & coutinho pick up injuries as well.

In a mad season like this to be in 1 final and still in with a shout in Europe is brilliant.

As well as that blooding all these u21 players has been a massive bonus, a lot of them have done better than so called 1st team players.

And now players are getting fit again just in time for a strong finish and possible trophies.

#positivity lads.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #4584: Feb 11, 2016 02:05:28 pm
      Any success this season is a massive bonus this summer is huge for the club and the "committee"
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4408 
      Reply #4585: Feb 11, 2016 02:33:31 pm
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,380 posts | 6403 
      Reply #4586: Feb 11, 2016 02:40:56 pm

It's funny because prior, one of the main charges levied at Rodgers was that this team should be good enough to win and that he wasn't getting the best out of them (injuries and all). That was the excuse that many made when saying he should be sacked and a better manager brought in. So now we have a better manager (much better than we deserve with this squad probably) and we are still struggling to win.

So if we all agree that Klopp hasn't turned into Rodgers...then maybe some folks would want to recant their statemtents about how Rodgers should have been able to win with the players he had. Granted, he picked a few of them so that's on him, but still, it's odd how we change our stories to suit our personal preference, vs being consistent and applying the same standards.

My hope is in Klopp at this point and I'm hoping he has full say as he claims to have because I think it's the only way we are going to climb out of this mid-table muck.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #4587: Feb 11, 2016 02:47:25 pm
      It's funny because prior, one of the main charges levied at Rodgers was that this team should be good enough to win and that he wasn't getting the best out of them (injuries and all). That was the excuse that many made when saying he should be sacked and a better manager brought in. So now we have a better manager (much better than we deserve with this squad probably) and we are still struggling to win.

So if we all agree that Klopp hasn't turned into Rodgers...then maybe some folks would want to recant their statemtents about how Rodgers should have been able to win with the players he had. Granted, he picked a few of them so that's on him, but still, it's odd how we change our stories to suit our personal preference, vs being consistent and applying the same standards.

My hope is in Klopp at this point and I'm hoping he has full say as he claims to have because I think it's the only way we are going to climb out of this mid-table muck.

Good post and I agree fully.

There are some bad hypocrites on here.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #4588: Feb 11, 2016 02:50:12 pm
      They don't have the balls to admit they were wrong.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4589: Feb 11, 2016 02:55:30 pm

The reason for your confusion is that we aren't worse, the results may be about the same but if we had a clinical striker we'd be winning most of our games. Some of you guys need to go back and watch some of the games from the end of last season and beginning of this one, we were bloody dreadful, not even creating chances, let alone scoring, with the players just trotting along, not putting in the effort etc etc. We are far far better now, we just need someone to start scoring goals and with Couts and Studge back hopefully we will. Then in the summer we can bring in some more quality and then who knows how far we can go.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4408 
      Reply #4590: Feb 11, 2016 03:04:23 pm
      Yeah Rodgers got nothing wrong, he never wanted Borini, Allen, Lambert, Milner, Benteke, Lallana, etc etc etc

If only he could have got Ashley Williams and Ryan Bertrand it would have worked out.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #4591: Feb 11, 2016 03:42:33 pm
      Yeah Rodgers got nothing wrong, he never wanted Borini, Allen, Lambert, Milner, Benteke, Lallana, etc etc etc

If only he could have got Ashley Williams and Ryan Bertrand it would have worked out.

That is not the argument FL is making though; there were a right many on this board saying our squad was much better than their performances and position, we were waddling mid-table because of the manager....Now we have a much better manager yet we still waddle in the mid-table. Same people blaming the previous manager and not the players are now blaming the quality of the players and not the manager.

Truth be told the squad is not that good; however the squad is capable of more than what it has shown the past few months (injuries or not) and some small part of that has to go on the manager no matter how long he has had here at the club.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4408 
      Reply #4592: Feb 11, 2016 03:44:41 pm
      That is not the argument FL is making though; there were a right many on this board saying our squad was much better than their performances and position, we were waddling mid-table because of the manager....Now we have a much better manager yet we still waddle in the mid-table. Same people blaming the previous manager and not the players are now blaming the quality of the players and not the manager.

Truth be told the squad is not that good; however the squad is capable of more than what it has shown the past few months (injuries or not) and some small part of that has to go on the manager no matter how long he has had here at the club.

My point is Rodgers was the manager that brought in our biggest flops.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #4593: Feb 11, 2016 03:50:03 pm
      The season isn't over so its a bit early to start writing obituaries. A final in a couple of weeks still in the Europa league and almost but not yet out of the top 4 race. If we win the League Cup we are in the Europa League again next season and to be fair that's our level with this squad. If we win the Europa league and get into the CL that will be something of a miracle
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #4594: Feb 11, 2016 03:50:17 pm
      My point is Rodgers was the manager that brought in our biggest flops.

That is fine, but the players we have at the club at the moment are better than West Ham, Leicester, Southampton and the toffees....we may not like them..we may think we deserve better but flops or no flops they are better players who are preforming woefully.

Benteke is surely more capable? Here is a guy that has gone from a 1:2 to a 1:4 in terms of scoring...surely although it appears that he has forgotten what a net even looks like he is better than what he is showing now.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #4595: Feb 11, 2016 04:03:01 pm
      That is fine, but the players we have at the club at the moment are better than West Ham, Leicester, Southampton and the toffees....we may not like them..we may think we deserve better but flops or no flops they are better players who are preforming woefully.

Benteke is surely more capable? Here is a guy that has gone from a 1:2 to a 1:4 in terms of scoring...surely although it appears that he has forgotten what a net even looks like he is better than what he is showing now.

maybe we have misjudged these players in so much as they don't have the character to play for a top club. All well and good being top dog at Southampton or Villa but its obviously much much harder at Liverpool when every game you are expected to win.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4408 
      Reply #4596: Feb 11, 2016 04:05:46 pm

Now this is the crux AZ individually they maybe, but do they fit into any sort of effective system. I am not so sure hence why so many shout about our unbalanced squad.

A hotch potch of players bought without any thought of how they will fit. That was Rodgers biggest fault and probably why he was sacked.

Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #4597: Feb 11, 2016 04:15:29 pm
      Now this is the crux AZ individually they maybe, but do they fit into any sort of effective system. I am not so sure hence why so many shout about our unbalanced squad.

A hotch potch of players bought without any thought of how they will fit. That was Rodgers biggest fault and probably why he was sacked.

Very good article posted on here somewhere about our squad being like that saying 'a camel is a horse designed by a committee'.

We are unbalanced, both in ability and the types of players we have.

The difference between us and Leicester City for example is not the players ability, its the fact they are a coherent squad playing in a system they know and have trained in.

Klopp has not had this yet, as most of us know alot of the time spent at Melwood since Jurgens arrival has been match training and recovery, leaving little time I'd imagine for tactical/system training. I think even this squad would look better with a full pre season under Klopp, but I do hope (and expect) he'll refine it, cut a few of the weaker links and bring in some reinforcements.

I'd be hugely surprised if we don't start performing better next season and getting the results to go with it.

As for this season I think we'll see more of the underwhelming rubbish to go with a few Norwich style moments. Hopefully the Cup final is the latter.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4598: Feb 11, 2016 04:51:45 pm

Yeah there seems a lot of hypocrisy about at the moment. When I said it was the squad that wasn't good enough, had no balance and had no goal threat without Sturridge, everyone seemed to prefer to blame Brendan rather than the players. Now everyone blames the squad and Brendan for buying them while Jürgen gets a free pass. 

I never expected Klopp to wave a magic wand, but I did expect he would quickly improve us defensively and improve our transition. He has improved our transition, but defensively I think we still suffer from the same problems as under Brendan... lack of pressure on the man with the ball. We still give the opposition too much time on the ball enabling them to pick a pass and we also suffer the same problems if not worse from dead ball situations that we did under Brendan. 

Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #4599: Feb 11, 2016 09:02:40 pm
      Dudek's spot on - the squad is sh*te and the only hope is Klopp. And I am cautiously optimistic about the chances of some of our youth (okay, they may not be the next Steven Gerrard's - who is - but I feel the likes of Brannagan and co could give us squad depth we've been lacking or wasting shitloads of money on).

Apart from that, the team is not good enough. Some were saying that although we are sh*te, we are still a better squad man for man than West Ham, Leicester, etc (e.g. teams punching above their weight who are above us). That's not true - just because we spend shitloads more on players doesn't actually make them better players. And their squads haven't been assembled by an alleged crack team who are actually merely cretins in a committee. Our squad DOES look like a team devised by committee - a hodge podge of players, there is no team, just a bunch of individuals. Leicester, West Ham, etc ARE a team however.

I've never seen such a bunch of weak willed footballers before (Moreno, Can, Benteke, Lallana, etc). Is that the modern footballer? Perhaps - but they're not Liverpool players. And anyone happy with this squad is just lowering expectations for us.

Quick Reply