Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1544192 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,973 posts | 5033 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #8027: May 22, 2016 07:57:51 pm
      Leicester didn't realistically have a chance of winning the League at the start of the year mate. They should of been fighting relegation. Did no European football help them? Yeah probably. Was it the reason they won the League? Not a f**king chance.

Just on an end note, I weren't referring to you making snidy remarks or taking credit from Leicester, it was just a generalisation of the British mentality. As a nation, Britain, has to find faults in it's success stories as opposed to just crediting them.

Fairy muff mate, no worries.

YNWA
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #8028: May 22, 2016 09:28:16 pm
      when Sir Rodger Hunt and Ian Callaghan returned to Anfield after winning the world cup Shank's said to Sir Rodger,well you've won the world cup now you have got more important things to get on with pre season with Liverpool
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #8029: May 23, 2016 12:09:51 am
      And there's me thinking it was just the "statues" that had you speechless Dave. Hmmf.

So what we have here is a disagreement about who had the harder task, Benitez during his six seasons in charge or Jürgen going forward from where are now. I think it's Jürgen, you think it was Benitez. My suspicion is neither of us are going to convince the other that they might be wrong (and it is a bit of a pointless argument even by our standards), but I may as well explain why I think what I do.

Firstly the "statues" comment. Now I know we all like to be a little mischievous sometimes, quote out of context and all that stuff, but in all seriousness do people REALLY think I would advocate "building a statue" for a manager who got us to be third in the league? Really? Do they think I would REALLY build a statue for someone who came third, or do they think it was probably a figure of speech to indicate that under these circumstances of today, continually challenging for the league and finishing 2nd and 3rd each season would be an excellent achievement? I do like a debate with the best of them but if you or anyone else wishes to take me out of context here then we're descending into the bizarre.

Next, the Benitez years. He won two trophies, none in the last four seasons. We challenged for the league once in the six seasons he was at the club. Now we also reached finals, were voted or qualified for by virtue of how many games we'd won or something "the number one club in Europe" and generally kicked around inside the top four each season, mixing it up with the big boys in Europe.

Now under the circumstances at the time, I think we could and should have done better. We weren't as outgunned financially as we are now, we had a very good bunch of players (many of whom Benitez himself had bought), we had the best attacking midfielder in the World IMHO at the time who had cost us zip and was playing for his home town club, and Benitez had taken over a group of players which although far from a perfect squad, had very recently won big trophies and finals. You don't think we could and should have done better by all accounts, and you know what? It's OK!

As for Jürgen now (which is the bit I was talking about all along) I think he's bang up against it in comparison. He doesn't have Steven Gerrard in his prime, he is massively outgunned financially both in terms of fees he can pay AND wages, he doesn't have a squad of serial winners to call upon, and we have finished by and large between 6th and 8th over 8 of the last ten seasons. Not only that, but he has Mourinho and Guardiola coming into the league.

I think Jürgen has it harder, you don't. You know what? It's Ok!

What you see is what you get? Oh aye.

I often wonder what Klopp would have done with a Gerrard in the team and I fear the answer would not be to everyone's liking.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,451 posts | 8657 
      Reply #8030: May 23, 2016 12:44:23 am
      I often wonder what Klopp would have done with a Gerrard in the team and I fear the answer would not be to everyone's liking.

Doesn't really matter as it's all hypothetical.

Still might end up giving him a coaching role if this homesickness stuff is to be believed.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #8031: May 23, 2016 10:56:50 am

Think Mick (though he can correct me) was comparing what Jürgen inherited, to what Rafa did. And the SG Rafa inherited I think would be in Jürgen's team, do you not?
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #8032: May 23, 2016 01:46:42 pm
      Think Mick (though he can correct me) was comparing what Jürgen inherited, to what Rafa did. And the SG Rafa inherited I think would be in Jürgen's team, do you not?

Initially he would but I think the things Jürgen would be asking of him would have led to him leaving - as he nearly did with Chelsea.

i think Rafa was more tactically flexible and was able to accomodate him but Klopp is ruthless enough to have got rid if he did not fit in his system.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #8033: May 23, 2016 02:27:08 pm
      I'm still sulking after the final tbh, hard to get excited about footy. A win was massive for us, back in the with the big boys, in a great place to buy players, buoyed by a first trophy in years etc. Now it all looks a lot harder. No European football at all but with a fair sized transfer budget but not willing to pay the wages the established top top players will/would be asking for.

Given we only have domestic football to worry about we don't necessarily need a huge squad but we do need 4-5 top players (ideally 3 of them to come in and start right away) to improve the first team.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #8034: May 23, 2016 02:42:17 pm
      I'm still sulking after the final tbh, hard to get excited about footy. A win was massive for us, back in the with the big boys, in a great place to buy players, buoyed by a first trophy in years etc. Now it all looks a lot harder. No European football at all but with a fair sized transfer budget but not willing to pay the wages the established top top players will/would be asking for.

Could be wrong but get the feeling that the majority of the players identified by Jürgen won't be put off coming by us not being in the CL. And by the look of it, he's going to do the business as quickly as possible.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #8035: May 23, 2016 02:45:31 pm
      Initially he would but I think the things Jürgen would be asking of him would have led to him leaving - as he nearly did with Chelsea.

i think Rafa was more tactically flexible and was able to accomodate him but Klopp is ruthless enough to have got rid if he did not fit in his system.

Rafa was ruthless enough too, think any manager would have had SG in their team at that time. But I would say that wouldn't I (picture is giveaway :) )   One for the 'I guess we'll never really know for sure' bucket...
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8036: May 23, 2016 02:49:20 pm

:lmao:

Come off it lad, you can't seriously be typing that.

Gerrard wanted to be shown some love to stay on, Jürgen's hugs would have been enough for Stevie and while Jürgen may have pushed Stevie a lot harder, at that age he could have taken it.

Cheers for the laugh though.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #8037: May 23, 2016 03:09:57 pm
      :lmao:

Come off it lad, you can't seriously be typing that.

Gerrard wanted to be shown some love to stay on, Jürgen's hugs would have been enough for Stevie and while Jürgen may have pushed Stevie a lot harder, at that age he could have taken it.

Cheers for the laugh though.

If you ever develop your understanding of the game past the soap-opera stage of how many hugs the manager gives the players you'll understand the importance of positional discipline and game intelligence in Klopp's teams - something that Stevie was always lacking. Hugs only get you so far when you are sat on the sub's bench.

Glad you had a chuckle though - no doubt you are woking on your nect PPG post which proves how we actually managed to win the league.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8038: May 23, 2016 03:15:11 pm
      If you ever develop your understanding of the game past the soap-opera stage of how many hugs the manager gives the players you'll understand the importance of positional discipline and game intelligence in Klopp's teams - something that Stevie was always lacking. Hugs only get you so far when you are sat on the sub's bench.

Glad you had a chuckle though - no doubt you are woking on your nect PPG post which proves how we actually managed to win the league.

Rafa was extremely strict on the positional side of the game, more than Jürgen in fact, you're simply talking out of your arse fella.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8039: May 23, 2016 03:20:24 pm

Given we only have domestic football to worry about we don't necessarily need a huge squad but we do need 4-5 top players (ideally 3 of them to come in and start right away) to improve the first team.

Yeah, it knocked me for six too Scott. I am trying my best to look forward not backward, but the result will no doubt have a negative effect on our transfers unfortunately.

Hoping that Jürgen can attract a few top quality players though and maybe that will be enough.

Onward and upward mate. 

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #8040: May 23, 2016 03:51:41 pm
      Steven Gerrard in his prime would have walked into any team with any manager. There's not many systems in football or managers in football that can't accommodate a midfield player who scores 20 goals a season.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #8041: May 23, 2016 04:07:04 pm
      Steven Gerrard in his prime would have walked into any team with any manager. There's not many systems in football or managers in football that can't accommodate a midfield player who scores 20 goals a season.

How many goals did the skipper score per season before the arrival of Rafa,Mick?... I think Gerrards most productive season was when he was on the right wing I think... 18 goals?...
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8042: May 23, 2016 04:18:07 pm
      How many goals did the skipper score per season before the arrival of Rafa,Mick?... I think Gerrards most productive season was when he was on the right wing I think... 18 goals?...

Nah mate Gerrards best season for goals was 2008/9 when he played behind Torres and scored 24 goals.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #8043: May 23, 2016 04:29:37 pm
      Nah mate Gerrards best season for goals was 2008/9 when he played behind Torres and scored 24 goals.

I was thinking just the league mate..
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8044: May 23, 2016 04:32:37 pm
      I was thinking just the league mate..

Still the same mate, highest league goals 16 2008/9 playing behind Torres.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,973 posts | 5033 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #8045: May 23, 2016 04:36:56 pm
      Still the same mate, highest league goals 16 2008/9 playing behind Torres.

Wasn't that the same season they only played in 14 matches together the whole season,? I'm sure some geek will come up with the stats to confirm or deny.

YNWA
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #8046: May 23, 2016 04:46:13 pm
      Rafa was extremely strict on the positional side of the game, more than Jürgen in fact, you're simply talking out of your arse fella.

All top managers are strict on the positional side of the game - the difference was that Rafa was a tactical innovator who had more scope to move players around.

Stevie didn't have the game intelligence to be a central midfielder in Klopps system and he didn't have the quick passing and defensive discipline to close down as one of the wide forward positions for Klopp either. Certain players suit certain styles - stevie wouldn't fit in an ideal Klopp team.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8047: May 23, 2016 04:51:56 pm
      Wasn't that the same season they only played in 14 matches together the whole season,? I'm sure some geek will come up with the stats to confirm or deny.

YNWA

Dunno mate Gerrard made 44 appearances Torres 38 that season, maybe in the league? Gerrard made 31 apps Torres only 24. 
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8048: May 23, 2016 04:56:34 pm
      All top managers are strict on the positional side of the game - the difference was that Rafa was a tactical innovator who had more scope to move players around.

He had more scope in what sense? Jürgen could put Stevie in the 10 role if he wanted, you're seriously trying to suggest that in Jürgen's system there's no place for a Steven Gerrard yet there was in Rafa's?

You've lost the plot if you've convinced yourself of that one HB.

We're talking about Gerrard in his prime not the last 5 years here right? As I see it Gerrard could have played RB, any 3 of the attacking midfield positions and the more creative role in central midfield. I agree that Gerrard didn't have the greatest tactical awareness and also wasn't disciplined enough for his position but the positives massively outweighed the negatives to the point that even someone who demanded perfection from his players would adapt to accommodate a Gerrard.

You're over egging this one HB, to the point I'm hoping you're yolking  :f_tongueincheek:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Reply #8049: May 23, 2016 04:58:15 pm
      He had more scope in what sense? Jürgen could put Stevie in the 10 role if he wanted, you're seriously trying to suggest that in Jürgen's system there's no place for a Steven Gerrard yet there was in Rafa's?

You've lost the plot if you've convinced yourself of that one HB.

We're talking about Gerrard in his prime not the last 5 years here right? As I see it Gerrard could have played RB, any 3 of the attacking midfield positions and the more creative role in central midfield. I agree that Gerrard didn't have the greatest tactical awareness and also wasn't disciplined enough for his position but the positives massively outweighed the negatives to the point that even someone who demanded perfection from his players would adapt to accommodate a Gerrard.

You're over egging this one HB, to the point I'm hoping you're yolking  :f_tongueincheek:

Jürgen just would have moved him to the number 10 position like Rafa did.

Agree with Hollywood that Gerrard maybe wouldn't have fitted in a Klopp midfield but its nonsense to suggest Jürgen wouldn't have made use of a player as talented as Gerrard.

Quick Reply