Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1561827 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #7981: May 22, 2016 01:56:17 pm
      Or the fact we've played in two cup finals and bottled on it on both occasions.

Remember, silverware actually meant something.

I think indirectly you are referring to Klopp as a bottler... I based this on the fact you called him out for Loosing 5 cup finals on the trot...

Not me shabs. I put all my eggs in the Euro basket from an early stage. I was happy to concentrate on winning it, not going to criticise Jürgen for something I totally agreed with. 

Me too, I certainly looked at the Europa route as our best chance of qualifying for the champions league...
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #7982: May 22, 2016 01:56:32 pm
      It's a shame Klopp never had a Suarez in his team,or a on form Sterling & a injury free season with Danny, all 3 leading the line....

Very good point Shabs and it is a shame, but then again he's only been here for 3/4 of one season. I'm 100% confident that if Jürgen EVER DOES get those circumstances, he too will seriously challenge for the title just like Rodgers did. That's what you've got to do when the cards fall in your favour, A Suarez in his prime for a season or a Gerrard in his prime for a number of seasons, you have to maximise the effect and properly challenge for the league each season. I couldn't agree more.   
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #7983: May 22, 2016 01:56:38 pm
      Excuse for what exactly?. So you must think our present squad is good enough to win the league. If it isn't good enough now to win the league and he doesn't get players of a calibre required how can he be judged against City or UTD ?.
      We are at a point where money coming in will have to be spent far better than it has been for some considerable time. He has a wonderful opportunity next season because of the clubs failure this season to qualify for Europe. I say the clubs because not sacking Brendan after the Stoke game was a huge mistake .

Was Leicester's squad good enough to win the league?

Is Ranieri a "World-Class Manager"?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,520 posts | 8685 
      Reply #7984: May 22, 2016 02:02:42 pm
      Can we throw Big Joe in as well - First manager in this country to win a treble.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #7985: May 22, 2016 02:03:42 pm
      I think indirectly you are referring to Klopp as a bottler... I based this on the fact you called him out for Loosing 5 cup finals on the trot.

Well, you think wrong then don't you. He didn't do enough in-game IMO but that doesn't mean I think he bottled it.

He has lost 5 though and as HB said, it will become a monkey on his back.

We shouldn't have lost that game. I'm fuming we didn't get the cup our run deserved, you might be happy with runners-up but I'm not.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #7986: May 22, 2016 02:04:37 pm
      I'm not in a cult with a leader who I hold as an idol, he's the manager and no matter how much he talks and laughs with the press, all I'll want to see is consistency on the pitch. I find it a bit cheesy to adore him so much.
      Too pragmatic in both finals shows he didn't go with his system, he resorted to how the other team might play. We ended up in two finals and both of them were the lowest feelings I could feel as a supporter, I don't thank him for that and it isn't only the players fault.

I'm still pissed off.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #7987: May 22, 2016 02:06:22 pm
      I'm still pissed off

That makes 2 of us pal.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,520 posts | 8685 
      Reply #7988: May 22, 2016 02:08:10 pm
      I'm not in a cult with a leader who I hold as an idol

Well you should be :laugh:

That's what the scenes look like whenever I see Shankly holding the league trophy aloft with fans around him.

fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #7989: May 22, 2016 02:14:22 pm
      Well you should be :laugh:

That's what the scenes look like whenever I see Shankly holding the league trophy aloft with fans around him.

I thought that after I wrote it haha, going to be a waiting game now, with the fun transfer rumours part of the year.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #7990: May 22, 2016 02:16:07 pm
      Because you went there I'll play.

Abramovich took over Chelsea in 2003 and Mansour City in 2008. The Cowboys bought us in 2007.

Stevie G had scored 28 Liverpool goals in the six seasons before Benitez came and a further 104 by the end of the season that he was sacked which as well as being down to him coming into his prime, a jump in goals like that was a lot down to Rafa changing Stevie's style of play. Stevie even said the same. To put what I am saying into context, Jordan Henderson has scored 22 goals in his first 5 seasons here. I know he's nowhere near the level of Stevie but I'm sure if his goals tally rose so significantly you'd be giving a lot of credit to Jürgen whilst getting the spade in the ground for the footings for his statue. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, Rafa gets none from you.

Yep, Guardiola will be here, great. It will be tough but let's not try and make out that Rafa had it easier than Jürgen has now just because you realised that your 'Statue' comment shown your hypocrisy up once again. You said that coming 3rd should get Jürgen a statue, which on it's own is bad enough, (3rd :D ). You've then realised by saying that you may look daft for slagging Rafa off at every possible opportunity and not offering him a statue so you made out he had it dead easy under Parry and Moores and Hicks and Gilette. Unbelievable. Under those ownerships he got us a European Cup win, European Cup Runners up, FA Cup, UEFA Super Cup, Community Shield, Premier League Runners Up and numerous Champions League qualifications alongside having us as the Number 1 ranked club in European football as we beat Barca, Real, Juve, Inter, AC Milan, etc, etc, etc. on the way to doing so.

'The Rafa Benitez Stand?' Of course not, just like there shouldn't be a statue for any manager who regularly finishes 3rd. Even a St Mirren manager wouldn't get a statue for coming 3rd in a three way league with them, Rangers and Celtic.

For all our new owners' sins they are better than the last two and you know that.

Jürgen has got it harder than Rafa did? It's unreal to read such a thing, it really, really is.

Tell you what, though, Walton and Eurored, I gave you some stick when you were both slagging Rodgers off on a daily basis but know what? At least with the likes of you lads what you see is what you get. So fair play for that.

And there's me thinking it was just the "statues" that had you speechless Dave. Hmmf.

So what we have here is a disagreement about who had the harder task, Benitez during his six seasons in charge or Jürgen going forward from where are now. I think it's Jürgen, you think it was Benitez. My suspicion is neither of us are going to convince the other that they might be wrong (and it is a bit of a pointless argument even by our standards), but I may as well explain why I think what I do.

Firstly the "statues" comment. Now I know we all like to be a little mischievous sometimes, quote out of context and all that stuff, but in all seriousness do people REALLY think I would advocate "building a statue" for a manager who got us to be third in the league? Really? Do they think I would REALLY build a statue for someone who came third, or do they think it was probably a figure of speech to indicate that under these circumstances of today, continually challenging for the league and finishing 2nd and 3rd each season would be an excellent achievement? I do like a debate with the best of them but if you or anyone else wishes to take me out of context here then we're descending into the bizarre.

Next, the Benitez years. He won two trophies, none in the last four seasons. We challenged for the league once in the six seasons he was at the club. Now we also reached finals, were voted or qualified for by virtue of how many games we'd won or something "the number one club in Europe" and generally kicked around inside the top four each season, mixing it up with the big boys in Europe.

Now under the circumstances at the time, I think we could and should have done better. We weren't as outgunned financially as we are now, we had a very good bunch of players (many of whom Benitez himself had bought), we had the best attacking midfielder in the World IMHO at the time who had cost us zip and was playing for his home town club, and Benitez had taken over a group of players which although far from a perfect squad, had very recently won big trophies and finals. You don't think we could and should have done better by all accounts, and you know what? It's OK!

As for Jürgen now (which is the bit I was talking about all along) I think he's bang up against it in comparison. He doesn't have Steven Gerrard in his prime, he is massively outgunned financially both in terms of fees he can pay AND wages, he doesn't have a squad of serial winners to call upon, and we have finished by and large between 6th and 8th over 8 of the last ten seasons. Not only that, but he has Mourinho and Guardiola coming into the league.

I think Jürgen has it harder, you don't. You know what? It's Ok!

What you see is what you get? Oh aye.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,520 posts | 8685 
      Reply #7991: May 22, 2016 02:25:55 pm
      I thought that after I wrote it haha, going to be a waiting game now, with the fun transfer rumours part of the year.

Exactly not going to get hung up on who were actually linked with, cos I got a feeling we're going to be linked with three quarters of the Bundesliga. Just gonna enjoy the Euro's and see who turns up at Melwood holding aloft a scarf.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #7992: May 22, 2016 02:28:03 pm
      It's a nice Sunday afternoon you keyboard warriors turn off your tablet, phone or what ever and go and get some fresh air.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #7993: May 22, 2016 02:36:47 pm
      It's a nice Sunday afternoon you keyboard warriors turn off your tablet, phone or what ever and go and get some fresh air.

It's pissing down with rain
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,520 posts | 8685 
      Reply #7994: May 22, 2016 02:53:46 pm

Stopped pissing down here and brightened up a bit.

Cue arguments over the weather now  >:D
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #7995: May 22, 2016 03:00:26 pm
      Pretty sunny here. Pub dead though, nowt happening.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #7996: May 22, 2016 03:01:32 pm
      Stopped pissing down here and brightened up a bit.

Cue arguments over the weather now  >:D

Nah it's brightening up here too now mate...we finally agree on something!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #7997: May 22, 2016 03:04:11 pm
      Pretty sunny here. Pub dead though, nowt happening.

Just put a sign in your window saying John Terry is a c**t... that should liven it up a bit Mick.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #7998: May 22, 2016 03:13:48 pm

I was just out, pissing down :)  was sunny when I left.  Mother nature was just waiting for me...
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #7999: May 22, 2016 03:23:40 pm
      Firstly the "statues" comment. Now I know we all like to be a little mischievous sometimes, quote out of context and all that stuff, but in all seriousness do people REALLY think I would advocate "building a statue" for a manager who got us to be third in the league? Really? Do they think I would REALLY build a statue for someone who came third, or do they think it was probably a figure of speech to indicate that under these circumstances of today, continually challenging for the league and finishing 2nd and 3rd each season would be an excellent achievement? I do like a debate with the best of them but if you or anyone else wishes to take me out of context here then we're descending into the bizarre.

We'd have a hell of a lot of statues if we went by your rules Mick :)
      Agree that having a talisman like SG in a team is a big plus, someone good enough to lead by his quality and character. We don't really have one of them now, so Jürgen is at a disadvantage there. Whether he can bring in someone like that, we'll see.

Agree with the others too that if we can shore up the defense (as opposed to scoring more goals), that would be big positive. Leicester based their title on a very solid defense. And I think we're in a better position now w.r.t. striking options than we were last and the previous season.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #8000: May 22, 2016 03:42:25 pm
      Excuse for what exactly?. So you must think our present squad is good enough to win the league. If it isn't good enough now to win the league and he doesn't get players of a calibre required how can he be judged against City or UTD ?.
      We are at a point where money coming in will have to be spent far better than it has been for some considerable time. He has a wonderful opportunity next season because of the clubs failure this season to qualify for Europe. I say the clubs because not sacking Brendan after the Stoke game was a huge mistake .

It's far better than Leicester's and they won it Walt.

I know every season is different and we had the upheaval of changing managers but purely on a player by player basis this squad was good enough to win the league this season.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #8001: May 22, 2016 03:50:48 pm
      Just put a sign in your window saying John Terry is a c**t... that should liven it up a bit Mick.

:lmao:
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #8002: May 22, 2016 03:55:36 pm
      It's far better than Leicester's and they won it Walt.

I know every season is different and we had the upheaval of changing managers but purely on a player by player basis this squad was good enough to win the league this season.

I honestly think Si if we hadn't got as far as we did in the cups (and probably hadn't suffered the injuries we did when Jürgen first arrived) we could have had a right good go at it. I know we're in the minority here me and you, but in all honesty when we played Leicester, Spurs, Man City, Man Utd etc did I think we were as good as them or nowhere near? Me, I think we've got four or five players who would walk into all of their teams, and our "make up the numbers" players with the exception of Mignolet and Moreno aren't too shabby either. THIS season just gone I think we had a right chance, NEXT season I'd be amazed if the field isn't considerably stronger.

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #8003: May 22, 2016 03:57:48 pm
      And I will have to disagree with you about Coutinho and Firmino, Coutinho for me is the better player but like many of our youngish players (Can for example) he blows hot and cold, similarly Firmino, who I'm not totally convinced by. I can't see this lad taking the league by storm, I just can't. We'll get more of the same from Coutinho but that's about it for them I think.

Personally think we depend too much on Cou. When he is on form, we look a better side. When he's on the edge of a game, we struggle. Firmino has ability as he has shown, but drifts in and out of games too often. As does Lallana. And unfortunately in the 2nd half vs. Seville, all 3 had off nights.

In saying that, along with the 3 above, throw in a fit Studge, an improved Origi and a returning Ings, reckon we're in better shape in the final 3rd than we have been in a while. So would focus more on the back 5/DM in summer, though if we can add someone like Gotze that might be interesting. A solid base could help address one of our main problems - consistency. Right now we're not a side that can put back to back 1-0 wins together very often, grind out hard wins - think Leicester did 4 in a row at one stage.

Think we can challenge next season. Why not? Leicester broke the mould. Its not impossible. Won't be easy, but am certainly hopeful with Jürgen at the wheel.

Quick Reply